Mythological Masti

Regarding Mahabharata translations

RisingPhoenix thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 2 years ago

Wanted to ask about your opinions on different translations of Mahabharata and which one would you suggest? BORI critical edition/Bibek Debroy or Gita Press(Hindi)?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RisingPhoenix thumbnail

I have only learnt sanskrit from 8th till 12th grade and I'm not confident in reading ìt in the original language 😔

Alaukik thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Hi,

We are playing a game and need your help!

"Do me a favor, let's play Holi”. 

You’ve been colored by Team Jai. 

Post the following words  "I have been colored by Team Jai" in this thread: 

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/5283617#160579211

Please help our Team by commenting first in our thread smiley4

The.Lannister thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: RisingPhoenix

Wanted to ask about your opinions on different translations of Mahabharata and which one would you suggest? BORI critical edition/Bibek Debroy or Gita Press(Hindi)?

Bibek Debroy's translation is of the BORI edition. While Gita Press' would be of the original unedited MBH like KMG I guess. So both will be different. If you understand Hindi well I think reading our scriptures in our regional languages is any day better than reading them in English, so Gita Press would be better.

RisingPhoenix thumbnail

Originally posted by: The.Lannister

Bibek Debroy's translation is of the BORI edition. While Gita Press' would be of the original unedited MBH like KMG I guess. So both will be different. If you understand Hindi well I think reading our scriptures in our regional languages is any day better than reading them in English, so Gita Press would be better.

Thank you!

Yes I've been thinking of reading the gita press one. I can read the english translations later sometime

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail

I have only learnt sanskrit from 8th till 12th grade and I'm not confident in reading ìt in the original language 😔

Have you tried reading it in the original Saṃskṛta? Five years of studying the language should help you significantly, I think. This is an opportunity to use your education, right? You can always consult a translation if you need to.

I like to read Mahābhārata in Saṃskṛta. Feel free to tag me or PM me if you want to discuss any passages.

RisingPhoenix thumbnail
Originally posted by: BrhannadaArmour

Have you tried reading it in the original Saṃskṛta? Five years of studying the language should help you significantly, I think. This is an opportunity to use your education, right? You can always consult a translation if you need to.

I like to read Mahābhārata in Saṃskṛta. Feel free to tag me or PM me if you want to discuss any passages.

Unfortunately no. I do understand and can write it but anything complex especially poetry gets difficult for me. I will need a translation at least at some parts so I'd be reading in sanskrit alongside the translation. 

And thank you so much! I'd definitely hit your pm if I get confused at some part :D

Edited by RisingPhoenix - 2 years ago
FlauntPessimism thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

Critical edition only has the verses found in majority manuscripts and hence much smaller in size. 

Geeta press will have maximum verses so it would be different experience. Depends on what you want to chose among them

FlauntPessimism thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 1 years ago

Unfortunately no. I do understand and can write it but anything complex especially poetry gets difficult for me. I will need a translation at least at some parts so I'd be reading in sanskrit alongside the translation. 

And thank you so much! I'd definitely hit your pm if I get confused at some part :D

Hi dear 

I make videos on Indian history and discussion on ancient scriptures 

Please subscribe to my Youtube channel 

https://youtube.com/channel/UCFWZ0V7kM5jXDf8Y224VY4Q