Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Minionite thumbnail

Sarcastic Chatterbox

Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: Anjalika01

Finally managed to make time to watch the all the movie in one go last night (I try to avoid watching movies/episodes in parts as much as possible as I feel it ruins the effect 😆), and really liked it! I can totally see why it was a hit, and why someone like Alia with her (usually 😆) smart script sense would choose it.

I found the soundtrack and aesthetics absolutely flawless, but I don't think the same could be said for the movie (although definitely very good, both in terms of writing/screenplay and performances) .

One great thing was that even as someone who is certainly not an Alia fan, for the first time I actually found her acting extremely real as well as engaging in many parts (especially emotional scenes and the flashbacks playing teenage Gangu). Although I still didn't find her particularly convincing in some of the older scenes, and her smooth, porcelain skin and baby face (which, aside from a load of eyeliner were left as they were for whatever reason 😳) absolutely weren't befitting of the alcoholic 30+ brothel madam she was playing in those parts.

As for the story, I also would have preferred to see more of Gangu's family (who actually weren't shown at all), and her life in her village, which would have made the  some of the already good emotional scenes even more poignant, and made the movie overall more interesting imo. One of the things I'd change would be giving more time to that rather than the (likely completely fictitious) Afsaan saga, which is also sadly wrapped up in a pretty unrealistic/typically filmy way that doesn't fit with the rest of the narrative especially well.

Also I'd completely delete one line they gave to Gangu near to the end where she says all these years she secretly hoped to reunite with Ramnik (yes, the bf who trafficked her ), as that was just not in keeping with her personality at all, and I frankly can't picture the real Gangu (who by that point was clearly strong, smart and well ahead of her times) thinking or saying something like that.

Still a good film with a great message though, so hats off to SLB and everyone else involved for bringing this amazing and extremely important true story to life 👏.

@ Bold: I don't think she said she wanted to reunite. She said she hopes she finds Ramnik in Delhi. I think it was more to get back at him for what he did to her. Unless I missed something.

Anjalika01 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Breath-Mark

@bold: where does she says this line? i watched it yesterday but don't remember coming across sucha scene. 

As far as I remember it was in a conversation with Jim Sarbh's character before she goes to Dehli to meet the PM.

Anjalika01 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Minionite

@ Bold: I don't think she said she wanted to reunite. She said she hopes she finds Ramnik in Delhi. I think it was more to get back at him for what he did to her. Unless I missed something.

Maybe, I feel like I might have misheard or misunderstood what she said now, but I remember it as her  talking about hoping to see him there in Kamathipura itself, and it was a total wtf moment in an all round good film 😳.

Minionite thumbnail

Sarcastic Chatterbox

As far as I remember it was in a conversation with Jim Sarbh's character before she goes to Dehli to meet the PM.

Maybe, I feel like I might have misheard or misunderstood what she said now, but I remember it as her  talking about hoping to see him there in Kamathipura itself, and it was a total wtf moment in an all round good film smiley22.

I had to go back and check. Basically she said she never left Kamathipura in 15 years with the hope that she would meet Ramnik once. But I don't think it was because she wanted to get back with him. There was anger in her eyes but a hope on her face. So I still think it was maybe with the hope that she would meet Ramnik to take her anger out on him.

Anjalika01 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Minionite

I had to go back and check. Basically she said she never left Kamathipura in 15 years with the hope that she would meet Ramnik once. But I don't think it was because she wanted to get back with him. There was anger in her eyes but a hope on her face. So I still think it was maybe with the hope that she would meet Ramnik to take her anger out on him.

I would like to think that's what they wanted her to mean, it definitely makes more sense.

WittyFlair thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Saw it. 

I think Alia did great! The best parts of the film for me were all her savage dialogues...just cracked me up😆 As far as the movie went, I'm not a SLB fan but this film was more up my alley than RL or BM. And I actually feel like watching it again - something I've never done with his films before

My gripe with this movie (and I always one with SLB) is that there was no real climax per se. Just when I think Gangubai is going to hit a major stumbling block with the politicians, the movie ends. Super abruptly. And there's this random parade. Almost seemed like even SLB himself didn't even know how to end the film😆

My other issue is Alia's makeup. I honestly couldn't tell how old she was supposed to be in some of the scenes. In one scene, she'll look 20, then she'll look 45, and then back to her late 20s. I could not figure out Gangu's age throughout this film, even with the passage of time😆. Alia's frame is so tiny that sometimes she looked out of place compared with the rest of the cast. Sometimes she looked too overdone compared with the other characters on the screen. I do wonder if maybe she would have physically looked more convincing if they used makeup prosthetics etc. But regardless, she nailed the role for sure

Edited by WittyFlair - 2 years ago
Siddu246 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Does anyone know how Kamli got sick? All they said was she got sick after giving birth? What made her sick? 

Also I am surprised Gangubai didn’t fight to get medical help for Kamli. That is one of the basic human rights and something they could have shown. 

Rekha_ji thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Siddu246

Does anyone know how Kamli got sick? All they said was she got sick after giving birth? What made her sick? 

Also I am surprised Gangubai didn’t fight to get medical help for Kamli. That is one of the basic human rights and something they could have shown. 

Totally agree. The film would have benefitted with extra 25 minutes dedicated to this portion.

Gangubai Kathiawadi Gangubai Kathiawadi Teaser GIF - Gangubai Kathiawadi Gangubai Kathiawadi Teaser Sanjay Leela Bhansali - Discover & Share GIFs

briahna thumbnail

nurag basu

@basuanurag

·

Feb 26

It's been 3 days I have seen #GangubaiKathiawadi & I can't get over Alia's brilliant performance SLB has of course reinstated his big screen magic again.@aliaa08

@sanjal

priya185 thumbnail

Comedy Crew

Originally posted by: Rekha_ji

Totally agree. The film would have benefitted with extra 25 minutes dedicated to this portion.

Gangubai Kathiawadi Gangubai Kathiawadi Teaser GIF - Gangubai Kathiawadi Gangubai Kathiawadi Teaser Sanjay Leela Bhansali - Discover & Share GIFs

the film was already so long yaarsmiley37