Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

farah53 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 2 years ago

I know I'm in the minority here, but I feel like Alia has done better in past projects compared to Gangubai. I mean, she was fantastic in a similar role in Udta Punjab. She was also so good in Dear Zindagi. 

I feel like she struggles with meaty roles. She was average in Raazi too, where given her previous work, she should have knocked Raaji out of the park. Same with Gangubai. Where previous heroines have done their best work with Bhansali.. I mean he made us believe Aish was as good as Meena Kumari or something. And Gangubai is the role of a lifetime for a Bollywood heroine..

I mean she was good in subtler parts.. The romantic portions or where she had to portray strength. But she faltered where she had to portray her vulnerability and weakness, much like Raazi actually. 

Her phone call to her mother reminded me of Raajzi's 'mujhe ghar jaana hain'. 

I feel Bhansali should have chosen someone else 

Edited by farah53 - 2 years ago
Life_Is_Dutiful thumbnail

Comedy Crew

I watched the movie. The movie was average but Alia was fantastic in the movie. The supporting cast too were marvelous though none of them had much to do in the movie. Some of the songs were not needed. It's just a one time watch.

SlowlyDrifting thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 8

I started watching the movie last night and left it in 15 minutes only 😆 Alia's acting isn't digestible, I mean probably Kangana or Vidhya would have nailed Gangu's role, Alia pe bilkul suit nahi ho raha tha, naah! I know, I'm in minority but that is what it is. 

Shaitan-Haiwan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

Critique Crusaders

I finally got around to seeing this. The movie itself is strictly average. It’s nothing extraordinary or wow. Infact it’s one of SLB’s most forgettable works. It’s certainly not legendary or memorable. 

In terms of Alia, I think she acted well for her own standards and also compared to the current generation of actresses. But I wouldn’t say this was her best performance. 

Also, in the parts where she’s supposed to be an adult, she still looked like a kid and looked a teen who dressed up like her mommy. Also that weird thing she did with her voice to make heavier seemed fake at times 

Edited by Shaitan-Haiwan - 2 years ago
Sense9 thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: SlowlyDrifting

I started watching the movie last night and left it in 15 minutes only 😆 Alia's acting isn't digestible, I mean probably Kangana or Vidhya would have nailed Gangu's role, Alia pe bilkul suit nahi ho raha tha, naah! I know, I'm in minority but that is what it is. 

💯 to everything you said. I felt the exact same way. I just couldn’t see her as the character. Her “heavy” voice, her get up all seemed fake. IMO she is average in the movie and the movie is a tad too long. The entire time I was watching her I was thinking how Vidya or Kangana would have aced this role.

Anjalika01 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Finally managed to make time to watch the all the movie in one go last night (I try to avoid watching movies/episodes in parts as much as possible as I feel it ruins the effect 😆), and really liked it! I can totally see why it was a hit, and why someone like Alia with her (usually 😆) smart script sense would choose it.

I found the soundtrack and aesthetics absolutely flawless, but I don't think the same could be said for the movie (although definitely very good, both in terms of writing/screenplay and performances) .

One great thing was that even as someone who is certainly not an Alia fan, for the first time I actually found her acting extremely real as well as engaging in many parts (especially emotional scenes and the flashbacks playing teenage Gangu). Although I still didn't find her particularly convincing in some of the older scenes, and her smooth, porcelain skin and baby face (which, aside from a load of eyeliner were left as they were for whatever reason 😳) absolutely weren't befitting of the alcoholic 30+ brothel madam she was playing in those parts.

As for the story, I also would have preferred to see more of Gangu's family (who actually weren't shown at all), and her life in her village, which would have made the  some of the already good emotional scenes even more poignant, and made the movie overall more interesting imo. One of the things I'd change would be giving more time to that rather than the (likely completely fictitious) Afsaan saga, which is also sadly wrapped up in a pretty unrealistic/typically filmy way that doesn't fit with the rest of the narrative especially well.

Also I'd completely delete one line they gave to Gangu near to the end where she says all these years she secretly hoped to reunite with Ramnik (yes, the bf who trafficked her ), as that was just not in keeping with her personality at all, and I frankly can't picture the real Gangu (who by that point was clearly strong, smart and well ahead of her times) thinking or saying something like that.

Still a good film with a great message though, so hats off to SLB and everyone else involved for bringing this amazing and extremely important true story to life 👏.

Edited by Anjalika01 - 2 years ago
Breath-Mark thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Anjalika01

Finally managed to make time to watch the all the movie in one go last night (I try to avoid watching movies/episodes in parts as much as possible as I feel it ruins the effect 😆), and really liked it! I can totally see why it was a hit, and why someone like Alia with her (usually 😆) smart script sense would choose it.

I found the soundtrack and aesthetics absolutely flawless, but I don't think the same could be said for the movie (although definitely very good, both in terms of writing/screenplay and performances) .

One great thing was that even as someone who is certainly not an Alia fan, for the first time I actually found her acting extremely real as well as engaging in many parts (especially emotional scenes and the flashbacks playing teenage Gangu). Although I still didn't find her particularly convincing in some of the older scenes, and her smooth, porcelain skin and baby face (which, aside from a load of eyeliner were left as they were for whatever reason 😳) absolutely weren't befitting of the alcoholic 30+ brothel madam she was playing in those parts.

As for the story, I also would have preferred to see more of Gangu's family (who actually weren't shown at all), and her life in her village, which would have made the  some of the already good emotional scenes even more poignant, and made the movie overall more interesting imo. One of the things I'd change would be giving more time to that rather than the (likely completely fictitious) Afsaan saga, which is also sadly wrapped up in a pretty unrealistic/typically filmy way that doesn't fit with the rest of the narrative especially well.

Also I'd completely delete one line they gave to Gangu near to the end where she says all these years she secretly hoped to reunite with Ramnik (yes, the bf who trafficked her ), as that was just not in keeping with her personality at all, and I frankly can't picture the real Gangu (who by that point was clearly strong, smart and well ahead of her times) thinking or saying something like that.

Still a good film with a great message though, so hats off to SLB and everyone else involved for bringing this amazing and extremely important true story to life 👏.

@bold: where does she says this line? i watched it yesterday but don't remember coming across sucha scene. 

Minionite thumbnail

Sarcastic Chatterbox

Finally watched the movie and damn! The trailer does not do justice to the movie. This is the first time that I would say that the trailer actually made it look like a bad casting, but Alia has done a great job with the role. I planned on watching it over 2 or 3 days, but I could not stop watching once I started - it was so damn good!

Alia played the role of Gangubai so well. SLB really brought the best out in her - from the innocence at the beginning to the strength and damn-if-I-care nature by the end. And the story was well done as well.

My one complaint is that they didn't age Gangubai appropriately. Alia looked the same age from the beginning to the end and Gangubai's story spanned from the age of 16 to like 60 or 70. They could have aged Alia appropriately to showcase this.

Ajay Devgn was awesome in the cameo he had. Shantanu as usual looked so cute. And Varun Kapoor's role was woefully small. And, as usual, loved Vijay Raaz in the cameo he had! Jim Sarbh was so underused in the movie, but a good role nonetheless.

Edited by Minionite - 2 years ago