Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

crispsy thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: atominis

Same here. I have always felt Aishwarya has cut down on her work and international appearances, endorsements to avoid embarrassment for her flop husband who was always trolled for his failures and told he was in limelight only due to his dad and wife and often shamed for being less successful and taunted that he would never be invited to Cannes, Oprah show if not for his famous wife. 

Ash seems to have reduced her own shine to make it look like her husband is the provider even though his earnings and net worth are way less than hers.

She probably does it to avoid any Abhimaan like situation affecting their relationship. 

She cannot stop comparisons Abhishek faces due to his famous parents but she has atleast tried to avoid comparisons of her husband with her as a star.

Otherwise she was doing films, ads and public appearances some years ago but earlier there was still hope Abhishek's career would pick up. It did not. His web series also flopped. 

So she has stepped back. 

Family and motherhood are important but I do not think a media savvy star like Ash would even stop doing LO'Real and Kalyan jewellers ads and cannot even spare time to do ads!

She was endorsing prestigious brands and not usual flour or chappal ads. 

She could have done some business or trained Miss World contestants like Lara Dutta but she does not even do that. Seems like loss of interest in professional pursuits.

Why does a woman have to sacrifice her career? It's not that somehow Abhishek will become a superstar overnight if she compromises? 

Edited by crispsy - 2 years ago
Talis thumbnail
Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Joannna

My guess would be that Ash is stepping back from limelight so that Abhishek can shine and be in the limelight.  Coz everyone knows that on popularity scale Ash is much popular compared to her Husband. And maybe Ash wants to avoid that awkwardness and being at home so Abhi takes precedence ! It’s quite sad though! 

But what surprises me is that she is never seen anywhere ! Not even Industry events and premieres ! 

Well, it was said she refused the lead in Happy New Year because Abhi was playing a supporting character and it would be awkward.

atominis thumbnail

That is expected of only women to downplay their stature, career, accomplishments and fame to avoid hurting image and ego of husband and in laws.

It is a patriarchal world. I have seen in real life also in every field, women feeling more under pressure if they are more educated, earn more and are more successful than husband- they either face abuse or ridicule or are expected to downplay own status to make husband look better.

Mumtaz once said she felt guilty when someone at a party failed to recognise her husband and called him Mr Mumtaz. She was red faced and worried. She even apologised to her husband but her husband was okay with it and she felt grateful that her husband took no offense in being called Mr Mumtaz. She began to avoid parties and appearances with her husband in public after that to avoid situations where she was recognised more than him.

In real life I have seen all the time women downplaying their earnings, achievements, education or skills just to avoid hurting ego of husband and in laws. My own mom is the most highly educated person and the only PhD holder in the family but she keeps downplaying it so much as if it is nothing. She calls it humility but I have always felt she purposely downplays her academic qualifications and professional achievements for sake of 'peace in family' or avoid hurting egos of other less qualified men and women in family. 

My aunt was employed at Indian high commission and left her job, left even her hobbies after marriage to my uncle who even made her give up driving as he himself still does not know how to drive a car and depends on others to drive despite owning a car himself. 

And ours is a family that claims they do not discriminate.  Lulz.

I have seen it all with my own eyes how families make women give up studies, career or downplay own achievements, skills, leave even own hobbies after marriage. I knew a female IAS officer also who quietly tolerated abuse from her husband and eventually left her work as her husband was less qualified and not doing a job as good as hers. Even her in laws took no pride in her ability to handle work and personal life or her prestigious job as an IAS officer. 

It is common saying in this country even today that girls need not be too educated or work as the more qualified or professionally accomplished and well travelled they are, the harder it is to get them married, find a match for them or to sustain their marriage later. 

Most people want girl to simply confine herself to home and let husband, in laws and kids run the show while she stays at home. 

atominis thumbnail

It's not about Abhishek becoming more successful if Ash compromises but his feeling less bad, less pressure, less comparisons if his superstar wife steps back in shadows and makes him look like the provider even though her own net worth is more than him and even today, despite all recent flops, Ash's brand value and ability to demand desired price is better than Abhishek's. 

Compromises are done by women to save their husbands from embarrassment and protect their fragile egos. As in a patriarchal society a husband is expected to be superior to wife in earnings, success, fame, public life and is mocked if wife outdoes him in any aspect of public and professional life.

crispsy thumbnail

That is sad actually. Now that I think about that I feel Beyonce does that too. She always flexes JayZ's wealth, doesn’t update certifications, doesn’t report her own net wealth etc. even though she is more Influential and all. 

hotchoco thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Why are people acting like Ash is getting 10 offers a day and turning them down for Abhishek's sake? The woman is almost 50 and we know how the industry is. 

Aish was most known for her beauty and dancing skills but those things don't have much value for an older actress. At that age, only acting-based roles are available and Ash is not a very good actress. She tried it with movies like Sarbjit and Jazba and was not good at all. 

Those kind of acting-based roles would first go to people like Tabu and Vidya and maybe even Kajol and Rani. Aish would be nowhere at the top of the list. 

It makes perfect sense for her to relax at home and take care of her daughter and push for her husband to make something of himself. Aish herself probably dislikes being known as having a flop husband. She married him when he was supposed to be the next big star and had a string of hits like Bluffmaster, Guru, Sarkar and Bunty and Babli. She is a typical wife who wants to have a more successful husband. It's not surprising at all that she's telling him to not worry about child-raising and go work and make a name for himself.

Ads also dry up when you're not making movies so it's just par for the course. Aish doesn't have to hustle for B-grade ads for atta and rice like others so why will she bother? 

Talis thumbnail
Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: hotchoco

Why are people acting like Ash is getting 10 offers a day and turning them down for Abhishek's sake? The woman is almost 50 and we know how the industry is. 

Aish was most known for her beauty and dancing skills but those things don't have much value for an older actress. At that age, only acting-based roles are available and Ash is not a very good actress. She tried it with movies like Sarbjit and Jazba and was not good at all. 

Those kind of acting-based roles would first go to people like Tabu and Vidya and maybe even Kajol and Rani. Aish would be nowhere at the top of the list. 

It makes perfect sense for her to relax at home and take care of her daughter and push for her husband to make something of himself. Aish herself probably dislikes being known as having a flop husband. She married him when he was supposed to be the next big star and had a string of hits like Bluffmaster, Guru, Sarkar and Bunty and Babli. She is a typical wife who wants to have a more successful husband. It's not surprising at all that she's telling him to not worry about child-raising and go work and make a name for himself.

Ads also dry up when you're not making movies so it's just par for the course. Aish doesn't have to hustle for B-grade ads for atta and rice like others so why will she bother? 

This has been going on for the decade, not just the last year.  She was 36/37 when she severely pulled back. She doesn't need 10 offers a day.  Just one good one every year or so. Her working for 3 months a year on a film would still allow her to be more of a full time mom than the overwhelming majority of the population.  Unless something cataclysmic happens he's never going to be considered more successful than her.   Making herself less isn't going to make him more.

atominis thumbnail

You are right. Abhishek was called next big thing when Guru, Bunty Aur Babli succeeded. His career suddenly nose dived after that and many blamed Ash's kundali for his downfall, called her unlucky for him. They even dragged downfall in careers of Vivek and Salman when Ash was in relationship with them, to blame Ash.

Probably Aishwarya was affected by Abhishek's downfall, criticism and comparisons to her. Abhishek was once trolled when he posted a video of Ash receiving a global award and people asked him what did he do except bask in reflected glory of wife and parents and taunted him saying even his daughter was more popular than him in media.

Bachchans have often said they feel bad for trolling Abhishek gets. 

Maybe Aishwarya purposely began to keep away from limelight to avoid comparisons of husband and wife in stardom and usual comments like 'Abhishek got Aishwarya only as he is son of Amitabh Bachchan otherwise he did not deserve her'. 

No one is saying Aishwarya should do atta or rice ads. But she is even out of prestigious brands like LO'Real and Kalyan Jewellers ads now. Rarely does magazine covers like she once did for Femina, Vogue, Elle etc. She is not seen anywhere except at Cannes now.

Having said that, she was indeed bound to have problems as she was always known most for her beauty than acting versatility and her attempts at deglam roles like Sarabjit have mostly failed. 

I also doubt if she would ever be willing to do some film like English Vinglish where she has to play an ordinary housewife and mother. 

She was never in league of Kajol, Rani, Vidya or Madhuri as an actor, hence no versatile roles come her way. A film like Sherni or Mardaani was not found suitable for her perhaps. And no one is going to give her prestigious films or big roles in elite banner films now nor give her high price as an international icon or former superstar. 

But I guess threads come up only because she is totally off the radar now. Shs is not in prestigious global brand ads she used to do for years. She is not even turning towards entrepreneurship or anything online (Kareena, Madhuri, Shilpa, Twinkle have own YouTube channels and Kareena does her own radio show, Lara Dutta launched her own bath and hygiene products, trains Miss Universe contestants, Sush trains Miss Universe, Miss Diva contestants and does web series, Katrina has her own line of beauty products, Deepika and Anushka launched own clothing line etc). 

Even Hema Malini was known more for beauty than acting but she kept doing films, TV shows, became editor of women's magazines, became producer and director, later joined politics, did plenty of ads and stage performances in classical dance. She never went off the radar at all. 

Perhaps this is why people question more about Aishwarya Rai who was popular and quite PR/media savvy earlier, had knack of remaining in public life regardless of flops or boycotts in industry after fallout with Khans. She was ambitious woman and not laidback at all. She managed to appear at Cannes, do ads, films, international media appearances even after marriage. ADHM, Robot, Action Replay, Jodha Akbar are films with proper heroes and all sorts of costumes and scenes unlike mom roles in Jazbaa or elder role in Sarbjit.

That was also a surprise given how Jaya had disappeared from work after marriage in Bachchan family and never returned to profession or public life until her kids went to high school/college. So people thought Aishwarya had worked surprisingly well for a Bachchan family DIL. 

Nobody expected her to go completely away from public life and media and not even do ads for LO'Real atleast. 

It was shocking to see Shweta and Jaya in Kalyan ads in last 2 years instead of Ash. They are nowhere in looks, brand value compared to Ash but she was replaced? I understand if Ash is replaced by Katrina or younger heroine but replaced by Jaya and Shweta was hard to digest. 

Anyone will ask questions when even in KWK Shweta came with Abhishek but not Ash, in KBC Shweta, Navya, Abhishek and Jaya have come but not Ash in recent times and in magazine covers you have Jaya, Shweta, Navya or Shweta and Amitabh but not Ash? Bachchan special episodes or family covers without Ash? Of course anyone will feel curious if all is well with Aishwarya or not or is she indeed only in relax/break mode. 

I personally feel she is in grief after her father's death and wants to spend as much time as possible with her mom and family. Abhishek's failures aren't the only reason. She probably does not want to do much or cannot figure out what else to do without compromising on her exclusive or global icon image. 

magginoodles thumbnail
Anniversary 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2

Someone pointed out on Reddit how pretty much all celebs from MS Dhoni to SRK to Saif seem to share parental duties, but it's only Aishwarya who is caring for Aradhya. Abhishek is rarely seen out and about with her the way Aishwarya is. I think they are way more traditional and patriarchal than people think. No wonder he wants Aishwarya to sit at home so that he can be the 'provider'.

Edited by magginoodles - 2 years ago