Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Chapter Two

Farhad had pleaded with Raghav Anna to stay in the hospital that morning. "Anna, it's a two-hour drive each way to and from Vikarabad. It will wear you out, and the doctor said that you need rest. Pallavi Bhābhī told you, as soon as Mandar gets to Dr. Ramya's clinic, she'll talk to him and convince him to come home. You will see her tonight, so until then, please relax."

"Will I see her tonight, Farhad? She didn't say that. She didn't even say, 'I miss you.' Just, 'I'll call you when we leave Vikarabad.' And 'remember to listen to the doctor, Raghav.' That's all she said."

"Anna, that's how a wife tells you, 'I miss you.' She orders you to behave while she's gone and warns you that she's checking on you."

"Farhad, do you have a secret wife that you're hiding from me?" Raghav had looked at him suspiciously, and Farhad had suppressed a chuckle. Anna had no gaydar at all.

"Jī nahīṃ, Anna. Mere Ammī-Abbū kī bāta yāda āyī."

"Listen, Farhad. Your Bhābhī is not like that with me. You know how our marriage began, and how much I hurt her by covering up the hit-and-run. Just the day before yesterday, the sight of our wedding photograph made her shudder. Now there's a man on his way to convince Pallavi to leave me. You know how trusting and generous she is. What if he's an imposter? I have to protect her!"

"Imposter? Anna, this Dr. Ramya recognized Mandar's photo, right? And if Bhābhī only saw someone who resembles Mandar from the window, she will know it's not Mandar right away when she sees him up close."

"Don't you know about plastic surgery, Farhad? I am going to tell Pallavi, until there's a DNA match, this is not Mandar!"

"You have been watching TV because you can't work out, haven't you, Anna? Don't worry. Plastic surgery won't give anyone the exact same face as Mandar, let alone the body."

"That's too much, Farhad! You are driving me to Vikarabad right now, before Pallavi checks out that man's body for a mole or a birthmark!"

"Wait, Anna, listen, what if Mandar arrives while we're on the road, and Pallavi Bhābhī leaves with him? Shouldn't you at least call her to say you're on your way?" Even while starting the car, Farhad had hoped that Raghav would listen to reason, but Raghav had refused to give Pallavi any chance to talk him out of his need to see her.

So, now Farhad found himself in Dr. Ramya's office, where Raghav had just collapsed with a panic attack. He removed his hands from those of the sturdy man who was supporting Anna's head on his lap and soothing him in his softly rumbling voice.

"Raghav, you will be fine, just fine. Look at the blue saree that Pallavi is wearing, and breathe in ... and out ... in ... and out. Imagine that you are under a clear sky, and this perspiration is dripping into the grass. Breathe in ... and out ... in ... and out. Imagine that the zigzag pattern on Pallavi's saree is a breeze moving over you. Keep breathing in ... and out ... in ... and out."

Raghav lifted himself off Mandar's lap and held out his hand to Farhad, who helped him to stand. Pallavi gave Raghav a reassuring smile, and said, "Dr. Ramya, Raghav is claustrophobic. We should take him outside. Farhad?"

", Bhābhī."

Mandar looked at the young man who was addressing Pallavi as Bhābhī. Who was this Farhad? Dressed in a spotless white shirt, buttoned up to the collar, and a dark suit, he looked very serious, and yet his clean-shaven face had an expression of innocence that Mandar found endearing.

Farhad held Raghav's hand, and walked him out of the office and the clinic. Pallavi and Krishna faced Dr. Ramya and Vishnu, and Mandar looked at one pair, then the other.

"Raja, beṭā ... Mandar, you did very well just now. How are you feeling?"

"I am all right, Amma. I am starting to remember some Marathi phrases - maybe things that were said to me before my accident."

"You haven't had many opportunities to speak Marathi since we found you. Did talking to Pallavi make you feel better?"

"Yes, Amma."

"Would you like to go with Pallavi and Krishna to meet your family in Hyderabad?"

"Yes, Amma. But I don't even recognize my own Āī and Bābā. It will be like meeting strangers."

Vishnu put his hand on Mandar's shoulder. "I would like to come with you, for a day or two, until you get settled. May I?"

"I'm sure it will be no problem," Krishna spoke up. "I will call Milind Kākā right now. Your name is Vishnu, right?" He nodded, and Krishna called Milind to tell him the good news.

"Milind Kākā, this is Krishna. I'm with Pallavi in Vikarabad. Kākā, give thanks to Gaṇapati Bāppā, we found Mandar Dādā alive! Yes, I'm saying Mandar Dādā is alive! I'll give the phone to him in a minute so that you can hear his voice, but please don't expect him to recognize you. He didn't know his own name because he lost his memory, but he's safe and healthy and we are bringing him home! Also, his friend Vishnu would like to stay with you for a day or two. We'll leave soon and it will take us at least two hours to reach you. Please tell the whole family so that they don't get a shock when they see Mandar Dādā."

Krishna handed her phone to Mandar. He was trying to remember Milind Kākā, but he couldn't. " Raja - Mandar bolatoya," he said simply.

"Mandar, bāḷā, are kuṭhe hotāsa itake divasa?" Child, where were you all these days? Milind was obviously crying. "Lavakara gharī yeśīla nā?" Won't you come home soon?

"Ho, Kākā, yetoya." Yes, coming. Mandar didn't know what else to say. He held out the phone, and Pallavi took it.

"Kākā, kharaṃça Mandar mājhyāsamora pratyakṣāta āheta." It's true, Mandar is actually in front of me. "Ho, gharīça bheṭūyā." Yes, see you at home. Pallavi ended the call and gave the phone back to Krishna.

"May we take your leave, Dr. Ramya? Raghav needs to be at home, resting."

"Yes, of course. Call me when Mandar is settled tonight."

Dr. Ramya followed them out of the clinic. Farhad was standing by the car, and Raghav was lying on the hood, hands behind his head.

"There is only room for five people in the car, and we are six," Pallavi realized.

"It's all right, Dīdī, we have the taxi waiting for the return trip," Krishna reminded her. "Vishnu , I will take you to the Deshmukh house in the taxi, if Mandar Dādā doesn't mind." Mandar nodded, and Vishnu followed Krishna to the taxi.

"Raghav, you'll be more comfortable in the front seat, and we can open the car roof," Pallavi suggested. "I have more photos to show Mandar, so I'll sit in the back with him."

Farhad was looking at Mandar. So, this was Anna's rival, the man whom Bhābhī respected and fondly remembered, the man whose lost life meant so much to Bhābhī that when she had asked Farhad to obtain Kirti's confession to the hit-and-run, Farhad had not hesitated to go against Anna's little sister and face Anna's wrath. Mandar was a broad-shouldered man with lustrous brown skin and an adorable face built for a wide smile - a very attractive combination, Farhad caught himself thinking. Anna's insecurity was justified, sadly.

"I'm Farhad, Raghav Anna's secretary," he spoke, smiling as he held the car door open for Mandar.

"I'm Raja," replied Mandar, folding his hands, unaware that his name had changed, as he was absorbed in the friendly warmth of Farhad's eyes.

Farhad liked the name Raja. It was a name for a loyal friend, or a beloved pet, and thus suited this friendly-faced Mandar more than his real name, that of a heavenly white flower.

Pallavi made sure that Raghav was settled in front, then joined Mandar in the back seat. As Farhad started the car, Raghav took out his phone and played a video. It was a Bharatanatyam item that Amma had recommended to him, and he played it without headphones. He wanted Pallavi and Mandar to feel his presence loud and clear if they dared to look at any more of their wedding photographs.

The nādasvaram playing in the video brought tears to Raghav's eyes as he remembered Nānna's love for this instrument. Long before Pallavi had become the lighthouse beacon of his turbulent life, live nādasvaram music had filled his happy childhood, and his one mistake had put an end to it.

Mandar's cheerful voice interrupted Raghav's melancholy. "Raghav, this sounds like Rāga Kedāra. Is that right?"

Farhad smiled; he liked Mandar even more, knowing that he appreciated classical music. Kedāra might be his favourite Rāga - the repeated movement from Ṣaḍja to Madhyama to Ṣaḍja made him think of fresh air, skies clearing after light rain, grasses ripening in the fields...

"It's Rāgam Hamīra Kalyāṇī!" Raghav snapped, turning around to look at Mandar. "This is a tillāṉā. Carnatic music, not Hindustani." How dare Mandar claim his music - and by leaning forward to listen to it, Mandar was showing off his broad back to Pallavi! Raghav abruptly shut off the video.

"Mandar, in one of our video chats before we got married, we talked about our favourite Rāga. Do you remember your choice?" Pallavi asked excitedly.

"Mūlatānī," Mandar replied without hesitation.

Farhad was impressed. Whenever he listened to Rāga Mūlatānī, with the low notes rolling out in a deep voice and the swelling leap to the high notes, he thought there could be no better expression of masculinity in music.

"And you chose Pilū!" Mandar exclaimed, certain that this was a real memory, and Pallavi's shining eyes affirmed it.

Of course, Farhad thought. Plaintive Rāga Pilū with its variegated and spiraling notes had a romantic personality that was just as demure as his Bhābhī's.

Raghav was furious with himself now, thinking, in three months of marriage, I never got to know that Pallavi listens to classical music, and this man who didn't remember his own name has her favourite Rāgam's name on his tongue!

"How about Amṛtavarṣiṇī, Pallavi?" he blurted out. "That's my favourite. What do you think?"

Farhad tried to recall Rāga Amṛtavarṣiṇī. What came to mind were musical phrases that demanded attention, refused compromise, insisted on making a point. Of course, that would be Anna's favourite!

"Sorry, Raghav, I don't know that one," Pallavi replied. "It's Carnatic, right?"

Mandar said, "I don't know it either. Raghav, could you play it for us, please?"

"Never mind," Raghav said. "I'm sleepy. You can play your memory game." He closed his eyes.

Poor Raghav is a bit grumpy after his panic attack, Pallavi thought. She took out her phone and showed Mandar a few more photos.

"This is Manasi, Milind Kākā's daughter." Mandar didn't recognize the face, but immediately felt protective of the slightly self-conscious young woman in the photo. "Dādā, malā khāndyāṃvara ghe!" Lift me onto your shoulders! Had she said that to him? He must have watched this baby grow up!

"And this is the youngest in the family, Kākā's daughter Amruta." The teenage girl in the photo was pouting and posing. "Dādā, mājhyāsāṭhī kharaṃça kāhī āṇalaṃ nāhī?" You really didn't bring me anything? No doubt, this baby had been his favourite.

"This is Milind Kākā, who was just on the phone with us." The goofy-faced man in the photo obviously smiled even more readily than he cried. "Are, zoṃvara donaça hāta āheta toṃvara āpalaṃ puruṣāṃçaṃ bhāgataṃ. Ekadā dona hātāṃçe cāra hāta zhāle kī āpaṇa cāra pāyāṃçe kadhī hoto, te kaḷata suddhā nāhī." Hey, as long as we have only two hands, we men can get by. Once those two hands become four hands (upon marriage), how we become four-footed (beasts of burden), we don't even notice!

Mandar's spontaneous laughter sounded delightful to Farhad's ears.

Pallavi noticed Mandar chuckling, and asked him if he remembered something. Mandar told her the joke, and she laughed until tears came. "Yes, Milind Kākā really did say that. He said it at our haḷadī event because Sulochana Kākū was driving him crazy, making him take her photo from two angles at every stage, as she applied haḷadī to your feet, your knees, your arms, and your cheeks. And then the same when she did it to me."

They had not bothered to translate the joke for Farhad, but otherwise they were speaking Hindi so that he would not feel left out. Farhad knew that Raghav Anna was only pretending to sleep, and was listening to every word about Pallavi's first wedding like a needle going in and out of his flesh. Anna liked Milind Deshmukh, his foremost supporter in Bhābhī's family, but always referred to him disparagingly as Bindī kā Ghulāma, fooling nobody in his attempt to deflect and deny his own desire to be claimed and controlled by Bhābhī. Jaya Amma, Kirti, and Farhad all knew that Raghav secretly envied Milind Deshmukh, who was the heart of his family and thought himself a happy man.

"Do you have a photo of Sulochana Kākū?" Mandar was asking Pallavi.

"Yes, here it is." What Pallavi showed Mandar made him catch his breath. This face, which could have been vivacious but was belaboured with makeup and a perpetual simpering expression - he knew this face, it took him no effort to recall a memory!

"This woman's name is Sulochana Kākū?" he whispered.

Chapter One on page 1

Chapter Three on page 2

Chapter Four on page 3

Chapter Five on page 4

Chapter Six on page 4

Chapter Seven on page 5

Chapter Eight on page 5

Chapter Nine on page 7

Chapter Ten on page 7

Chapter Eleven on page 8

Chapter Twelve on page 8

Chapter Thirteen on page 8

Chapter Fourteen on page 9

Chapter Fifteen on page 10

Chapter Sixteen on page 10

Chapter Seventeen on page 11

Chapter Eighteen on page 11

Chapter Nineteen on page 11

Chapter Twenty on page 11

Chapter Twenty-One on page 11

Chapter Twenty-Two on page 12

Chapter Twenty-Three on page 12

Chapter Twenty-Four on page 12

Chapter Twenty-Five on page 12

Chapter Twenty-Six on page 13

Chapter Twenty-Seven on page 14

Chapter Twenty-Eight on page 14

Chapter Twenty-Nine on page 14

Chapter Thirty on page 14

Chapter Thirty-One on page 14

Chapter Thirty-Two on page 14

Chapter Thirty-Three on page 15

Chapter Thirty-Four on page 15

Chapter Thirty-Five on page 15

Chapter Thirty-Six on page 15

Edited by BrhannadaArmour - 2 months ago
hapc thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

I found quite a lot of this chapter funny. Raghav’s pettiness was cute and hilarious. And the fact that Mandhaar recognized Sulo Kaku😆. I must say she can make quite an impression. It’s interesting that he doesn’t remember Nikhil as well as Manasi or Amrutha. I liked the idea of showcasing their personality traits through favorite Raagas. Lovely chapter. I liked Farhad’s secret appreciation of Mandhaar, Mandhaar’s cheerfulness and Raghav being a grumpy baby.

hapc, reading your feedback adds to my enjoyment of story-writing.

I had to make Raghav not talk too much, because I don't want the sort of distractions that happened on the show with Raghav pulling his gun on Mandar and getting into a fight, berating Dr. Ramya etc. Instead, I want Raghav's focus to be on the conversation that he'll have with Pallavi later.

Mandar not remembering Nikhil as well as Manasi or Amruta - well, Mandar is reacting to photographed faces, not actual people, and teenage boys' faces change much more than teenage girls' faces. Or, it could just be that the more Mandar looks at the visual aids, the more easily the memories come back.

You may have guessed why Mandar recognizes the face of Sulochana Kākū - or remember the spoiler from "Antarāya-timir'opaśāntaye" Chapter One. I hope it's still an effective cliffhanger.

I made another thread on the Rāga idea, in case you or anyone else would like to play the game:

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/5250460

Milalal27 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 6 Thumbnail + 4

amazing update ❤️❤️❤️

Zara2021 thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Chapter 2!

Thanks for the tag, I saw it earlier this morning and was waiting to come back from work and read it with my full attention. Really enjoyed this chapter! Raghav's jealousy is so cute, he is such a possessive lover. 

I liked how you have woven how well Farhad understands and recognises Raghav's behaviour within the chapter. Pallavi's genuine niceness to Mandaar is sweet and the fact that she is totally oblivious to Raghav's turmoil, builds a lot of anticipation for the future. Can't wait to see how she reacts when/if she comes to know how much Raghav has been suffering.

I loved the outsider perspective of the Deshmukh family. In the series, their impact has been negative overall, but once upon a time, Pallavi had close and happy ties with them. It is interesting to see how Raghav is realising how little he knows about her. Both of them never really had a courtship stage. 

Thank you for sharing, you really have a flair for writing! ❤️

Thank you for the praise, Zara2021. I don't mean for Pallavi to be "totally oblivious to Raghav's turmoil," but I'll admit that she doesn't sense Raghav's guilt and hopelessness that brought on his panic attack.

In Chapter One, Pallavi recognized Raghav's insecurity and that he wants a real marriage, and she too is feeling insecure and not ready to trust Raghav. In Chapter Two, Pallavi is trying to look after Raghav and also take Mandar home - and she isn't just being nice to Mandar. They share a language and interests and fondness for the same people; so, of course his presence puts her at ease, which was once enough for her to look forward to marrying him. She doesn't know if Mandar wants her back, or if going back to him would make her happy. On the other hand, she and Raghav just had a major clash of values over the hit-and-run, and as long as she stays with Raghav, people will think it is because Raghav is rich.

I guess Raghav is totally oblivious to Pallavi's turmoil because I haven't expressed it in the story yet. Something to anticipate, I hope you agree.

How can Pallavi have a private conversation with Raghav about their marriage, in front of Mandar? And it will only be more impossible when they're surrounded by Deshmukhs. Will Raghav find a moment to say, "I love you" to Pallavi? I think Raghav and Pallavi will pass through a courtship stage before this story ends, but perhaps that will develop in "Delivery Boy" so that it doesn't get in the way of Mandar and Farhad here.

Chapter Three

"Excuse me, Farhad?" Mandar called from the back seat.

"Hāṃ, Raja?" As the words left his lips, Farhad blushed. Mandar had introduced himself as Raja, a term of endearment, and the way Farhad had addressed him, it sounded intimate. "Sorry. , Mandar?"

"Could we stop somewhere and buy a box of peḍhe, please? For my family. Today we're celebrating my return; we'll have to put a sweet in every mouth."

My family, Mandar thought. I hardly remember anyone, and Farhad must have eaten a peḍhā at every celebration since Pallavi's remarriage to Raghav. Last month was Vaṭa-Paurṇimā, before that was Pallavi's birthday ...

"Pallavi - your birthdate is 20th May, 1996! Am I right?" Mandar exclaimed.

"Yes, Mandar!" Pallavi smiled at him. "I am amazed that you remember, because we never celebrated my birthday together."

Raghav, listening from the front seat, felt his mouth drying up. Twentieth May, 2021 was the day Pallavi had left Raghav, saying that they had only bad memories and hatred between them. Celebration of her twenty-fifth birthday had been farthest from Pallavi's mind; in fact, she had asked Raghav to kill her because existence as his wife, shunned by her beloved family as a greedy opportunist, was intolerable. Raghav could never forget the date because he had chased Pallavi to the train station and pleaded with her to give him thirty days to work his charm on the Deshmukh family and restore her place in their hearts. She had given him the chance and he had failed. Failed where Mandar would undoubtedly succeed effortlessly.

Milind Kākā welcomed Raghav into the family without hesitation, and Sharada Āī made peace with him, but Manasi was nervous in his presence, and Amruta disdainfully ignored Raghav. Nikhil went about his work silently with eyes full of guilt from association with Raghav's business - just as another eighteen-year-old had done after a failed money-making venture disgraced him and his family, many years ago. Raghav might yet have charmed Pallavi's siblings in thirty days, perhaps, but due to the machinations of Sulochana Kākū, Vijay Deshmukh would not budge from his belief that Raghav had occupied his home solely to belittle and intimidate him. Raghav was so fed up with Pallavi's Bābā imagining the worst of him, he never held back an outburst or an insulting name for the old man, not even in front of Pallavi. Now that Raghav was about to say "I love you" to Pallavi, would she believe him?

"Farhad, you know where I get kājū katalī for Amma. Stop there and go with Mandar to buy the peḍhe."

Meanwhile, Krishna and Vishnu arrived at the Deshmukh house in the taxi. The whole family was waiting outside, eager to lay eyes on Mandar as early as possible. Krishna made the introductions.

"Mandar Dādā has been living in Vikarabad, using the name Rajiv Dev, and working as an ambulance driver. This is his friend and co-worker Vishnu, who will be staying with you for a few days. Vishnu , this is Mandar's Āī-Bābā, Sharada Aunty and Vijay Uncle, his Milind Kākā and Sulochana Kākū, Manasi, Amruta, and Nikhil."

As Nikhil took Vishnu and Krishna inside to freshen up, Amruta pulled Manasi aside. "Tāī, Mandar Dādā jīvanta āhe mhaṇaje azūna Pallavi tyācīça bāyako āhe nā?" Tāī, Mandar Dādā being alive means that Pallavi is still his wife, right? "Maga tī punhā āpalyāta rahāyalā yeīla kā?" Then will she come to live with us again?

Manasi was pondering the same questions, and like Amruta, she didn't want to voice them in front of Vijay Kākā. Their uncle had thrown Pallavi out of the house for lying to him about their business doing well when it was actually losing money for two years. The news that Pallavi had acquired the shop from Raghav Rao, with her admission that she kept visiting this man who tortured and disparaged her, even as she denied a sexual liaison and denied asking Raghav to register the business in her name, had driven Vijay Kākā to attempt suicide and swear that he would never again see his beloved shop; Pallavi could have it all to herself. By the time Vijay Kākā had asked Pallavi to come home, she was Raghav's wife and she insisted that Raghav wasn't responsible for Vijay Kākā being caught with a necklace stolen from Raghav's showroom, in a bag that Raghav himself had handed to Vijay Kākā. After Pallavi's display of wifely loyalty to Raghav, would Vijay Kākā ever accept Pallavi as Mandar's wife?

"Kāya māhīta nāhī, Amruta." Don't know what. Manasi didn't know what to think about Pallavi's relationship with Raghav. Bābā, Sharada Kākū, and Nikhil claimed that Raghav had forced Pallavi to marry him, and yet they believed that Raghav was sincerely trying to reunite Pallavi with her family; that was why he had rented a room in the house where the Deshmukhs were staying. Suppose Pallavi wanted to be Mandar's wife. What would Raghav do to their family?

"Nāhī tara kāya!" What else? Sulochana had followed her daughters and heard every word. "Dādā, Pallavi tyā Raghav-cyā nādī lāgalī tyāçe ekameva kāraṇa mhaṇaje tyācī śrīmantī." Dādā, Pallavi got into trouble with that Raghav for only one reason - his riches. "Mī mhaṇate, viṣācī parīkṣā kā ghyāyacī?" I say, why taste-test poison? "Asalyā vāīṭa çālīcyā sunelā āpaṇa gharāta gheūça naye." Such an immoral daughter-in-law; we shouldn't accept her in this house. "Tyā Rākṣasālāça tī lakhalābha asūde." Let that Rākṣasa have any benefit of her.

"Jībhevara tābā ṭheva, Sulochana!" Control your tongue, Sulochana! Sharada warned her, and Milind nodded vigourously as his Vahinī continued: "Mandar-samora Pallavi-baddala eka śabdahī uccārāyaçā nāhī." You will not pronounce even one word about Pallavi in front of Mandar. "Tyāṃçe te zo nirṇaya ghetīla, āpaṇa to hasatamukhāne svīkārū." Whatever decision they make for themselves, we'll accept it with smiling faces.

Vijay listened, but he would not join any family argument to spoil this joyful day. The truth was that he missed Pallavi. He knew he had overreacted about her covering up their money problems and not asking his advice as the head of the family. (He had only had a heart attack; he didn't deserve to be kept ignorant as if he were mentally incompetent.) He knew that Pallavi didn't deserve to be thrown out of the house at night, but how could he admit that he was wrong in front of Raghav, who didn't belong in his life and wouldn't leave him alone? As hurt as Vijay still was by Pallavi's betrayal and her marriage to that beabrūçe cakrī vādaḷa, Raghav Rao, that tornado of embarrassment, he couldn't deny that she was dutiful and honourable. An opportunist would have kept Deshmukh Saree Emporium for herself when Vijay gave it up; instead, Pallavi had put inexperienced Nikhil in charge so that the income would go right back to Vijay. When Vijay had been unable to pay the property tax on his home, Pallavi had been under no obligation to help, but she had quietly earned the money by herself so that Vijay wouldn't be indebted to Raghav. When Raghav had been arrested for the hit-and-run on Mandar, Vijay had refused to believe that Raghav wasn't the drunk driver, but it was Pallavi who had fought against Raghav's obstruction of justice, risked her marriage, and brought charges against Sunny Ahuja and Kirti Rao.

Vijay knew that Mandar's return meant that he must apologize to Pallavi. Mandar and Pallavi - both of them had been Vijay's pride and joy, both had dedicated themselves to the tradition of hand-woven sarees that was Vijay's life's work. Now that Gaṇapati Bāppā had brought back Mandar, Vijay should make every effort to bring back Pallavi too, so that Mandar and Pallavi could be together as they were meant to be. An opportunity like this would not come again. He watched the road eagerly for their arrival.

Farhad parked the car and got out, along with Pallavi, Mandar, and Raghav. While Farhad showed Mandar to the end of the line outside the miṭhāīvālā's shop, Raghav said to Pallavi, heedless of anyone who might pass by, "I love you. Stay with me."

It was the first time Raghav had said "I love you" to Pallavi. She felt herself beginning to cry, and turned towards the car so that passersby wouldn't notice.

"I love you, Pallavi." Raghav already had tears running down his face. "I know I disappointed you by choosing Celli over you, but I love you, I really do."

"I know, Raghav," Pallavi replied. "I knew more than a month ago, when you asked me if my dream house had a banyan tree nearby, where I could pray for your long and healthy life."

"You knew? Then why didn't you say anything? I've been waiting for you to be ready to hear this! Pallavi, I want to share everything with you!"

"I wasn't ready, Raghav. And I'm still not ready."

Raghav looked at her with wide eyes, his mouth hanging open. Her next words were like a punch in the gut.

"I don't know if I belong with you. You frighten me, Raghav. I haven't forgotten how you took pleasure in thinking of ways to torture me, or how you still behave when you're drunk or angry. Even when you hurt someone by accident, your instinct is to double down and hurt that same person deliberately. As if you can silence the voice inside that says you care. I know you weren't born this way, and you don't deserve to be lonely, not when you have so much love to give. I gave you a chance, and you proved that you would do anything for me, and even for my family. You would throw away your life or your dignity for my sake. I am lucky to have that kind of love. But what I feel for you is appreciation, neither trust nor love."

"Sarī kā Dukāna, I've seen you looking at me. I know you're aroused when I take off my clothes. Just come home with me and let me hold you. I promise I won't hurt you, I won't make you do anything you don't want to do. But right here is where you belong." Raghav held out his arms.

"Raghav, the physical attraction is real, but it was never why I wanted our marriage to work. You are a good person, you are trying to be a good husband, and that is what will bring us together if we're meant to be. I've encouraged you to touch me, and we almost kissed a couple of nights ago, but I am not ready to feel your body all around mine. When you told me that Bābā had been arrested, and you pulled me into a hug, I tried to find comfort in it, but then I was babbling, and instead of soothing me, you gagged me and carried me over your shoulder. I was too shocked to realize that you had left my hands free to remove the gag. I had nightmares after that, in which you would restrain me and I couldn't think clearly to get free. It's still too soon to forget how terrified I felt when you carried me out of my house to tie me up in the middle of the road."

Raghav sighed dejectedly, crossed his arms, and leaned back against the car. "So, do I still have a chance? Will you at least come home with me?"

"How can I, Raghav? Mandar is alive, and I don't know what that means by law or dharma. Am I married to two men? How do I get myself out of this situation, and what can I do to keep my name out of the tabloid news?"

"I don't care what anyone says, Pallavi! You are my wife, I made you a promise to honour our marriage, and you have every right to be with me."

"But I do care what people say and think of me, Raghav. I am not property of Mandar or of Raghav, I am a person who has a choice. Whatever the law or dharma says, I have to deal with it, but ultimately, I have to follow my conscience. I need to feel respectable. I can't sleep next to you, or live in the same house with you or with Mandar, until I know where I belong. Even if Mandar doesn't want me back, I need time to decide that I want you more than I want Mandar or my freedom."

"Did you just say that you want Mandar? Of course you do! He's a nice, middle-class, Marathi boy who remembers your birthday and your favourite Rāgam, and you laugh together. You chose to marry him, you remember all the ceremonies, and you treasure the photographs. I'm the Rākṣasa who forced you to marry me, and made you want to die on your birthday. So, go ahead and leave me. I deserve this."

Pallavi had nothing more to say, so she just crossed her arms against the car roof, laid her face on them, and cried, and Raghav couldn't hold her.

Mandar paid for his peḍhe, Farhad paid for Amma's kājū katalī, and they headed back to the car, when a woman's shriek pierced the air.

"Kirti!" Farhad exclaimed.

Kirti was right in front of them, staring at Mandar. A coconut had fallen from one hand, and her other hand still clutched a straw.

"I didn't do it on purpose! I didn't want you to die! I was just afraid! Please don't hate me!" Kirti was pleading and trembling. Farhad ran up to her and caught both of her hands, while Mandar stood still, bewildered, focussing on Farhad's voice to make sense of what was happening to this young woman.

"Mandar is alive, Kirti. Calm down. He didn't die. You're not imagining him. Everything will be all right. We are taking him back to his family." Farhad's voice was soothing, and Kirti recovered quickly. She looked at the ground to avoid looking at Mandar, whose gaze travelled back and forth from Kirti to Farhad, from the question to the answer.

"Farhad, who is this?" Mandar asked. "Why is she upset to see me?" He remembered what Pallavi had told him earlier today, and asked, "Are you Sunny Ahuja's friend Kirti?"

Kirti began to cry.

"Yes, Mandar," Farhad explained. "This is Kirti. She was the passenger in the car that hit you."

Mandar had no memory of the accident, but the thought of being hit by a car and left to die made him tremble all over. His legs were unsteady, and there was nothing to hold onto, so he tensed up and just looked at Farhad to keep his balance. The tender and understanding expression on Farhad's face as he watched Mandar comforted Mandar, and the trembling subsided.

Kirti looked at Mandar, and said, "I should have made Sunny stop to check if you were all right, but I let him drive away. I am really sorry. There is no excuse for what I did."

Mandar felt sorry for Kirti. "I'm an ambulance driver, Kirti, so I've seen a lot of accidents. The way you reacted to my being hurt is the way a lot of people react, unfortunately. You save yourself instinctively."

Kirti shook her head. "I wasn't in any danger; I could have stopped to save your life out of common decency. I didn't do the right thing because I didn't want Sunny to be arrested, and I didn't want my mother to find out that I was out with my boyfriend. I never went to the police, nor said anything to anyone for years after the accident. I kept telling myself that it was too late to fix my mistake, and punishment for me wouldn't bring you back to life. I thought I would never have to face you and answer you, but now I am really ashamed."

Mandar nodded, and looked at Farhad helplessly. He couldn't disagree with Kirti's self-castigation, and he didn't want to spend more time with her when he could be on his way to his family. Farhad returned his gaze, and evidently understood, because he pulled out his phone and sent a message.

A moment later, Raghav arrived, and said, "Kirti, come with me. I'll take you home." He left with Kirti, without saying a word to Mandar.

Mandar walked with Farhad back to the car, where Pallavi was already sitting in the back seat, staring straight ahead.

"Pallavi, you have been crying! May I ask why?" Mandar said, getting back in his seat next to her and wondering if Raghav had said something to hurt her. Why would Raghav leave Pallavi like this and take Kirti home? Who was Kirti to him?

"I had to tell Raghav that I'm moving out," Pallavi said simply. "Farhad, Raghav said he would ask you to make arrangements for me to move into his other house tonight."

His other house? Mandar thought. Raghav must be well off, to have a vacant second home. How had Pallavi, despite the inauspicious stamp of losing her first husband on the very night of the wedding, managed to remarry into a family more affluent than the Deshmukhs?

", Bhābhī," Farhad said, wiping tears from his eyes. Raghav Anna hadn't instructed him yet. Probably he had composed a draft message, and just wasn't in any mood to send it. Anyway, an order was an order, whether from Bhābhī or from Anna. Farhad made a few phone calls, then sent Anna a text, and then they were on their way.

As the car pulled up to the Deshmukh house, Nikhil raced past Manasi and Amruta to meet it and ran alongside it until Farhad parked. Mandar hardly had a chance to step out of the car before Nikhil hugged him. With the box of peḍhe in one hand, Mandar couldn't hug his little brother properly, until Farhad stood beside him and took the box from him. Then Mandar had both arms around Nikhil. He's so much bigger now, Mandar thought. Stronger grip, too.

"Dādā, I've missed you so much! I have so much to tell you!"

"I want to hear everything, Nikhil. Especially old news."

Manasi was snapping photographs while Amruta bobbed up and down on her feet, impatient for her turn to hug Mandar Dādā.

"Amruta, look! My hands are empty. I didn't bring you anything!" Mandar teased her.

"I saw the box, Dādā!" Amruta laughed as she pulled him down with her arms around his neck.

Mandar pulled his ears, then reached over to Farhad, who had astutely opened the box already. Mandar took one peḍhā and fed Amruta, then took another peḍhā and fed Nikhil, as Manasi photographed every moment.

When it was Manasi's turn for a peḍhā and a hug, Nikhil took the photo, but after that it was all Manasi. She captured Vijay Kākā in tears as he hugged Mandar, Sharada Kākū smiling as brightly as the lamp flame of the ovāḷaṇīçe tāṭa in her hands, Farhad smiling shyly as he displayed the box of peḍhe, Mandar and Bābā feeding peḍhe to each other, Āī and Mandar both looking rather uncomfortable as they stood posed next to each other, Sharada Kākū feeding a peḍhā to Pallavi, then to Mandar, then to Vishnu, then to Krishna, and then to Farhad.

As Mandar and Sharada were the centre of attention, Vijay quietly asked Pallavi to step aside with him. "Khūpa divasāṃpāsūna mājhyā manāta āhe kī tujhī māphī māgāyalā havī," he began. Since many days now, I have been thinking that I should ask your forgiveness.

Pallavi listened in silence as Vijay continued, "Tū dukānācyā bābatīta je kāhī kelaṃsa, tyāta tuzhā hetu çāṅgalāça hotā, he malā nākāratā yeta nāhī." Whatever you did concerning the shop, your intention was only good, I can't deny that. "To tuzhā Raghav mhaṇato kī tyāne tujhyāvara aślīla āropa kele te sagaḷecyā sagaḷe khoṭe hote, te mī mānya karato." That Raghav of yours says that his indecent accusations of you were entirely false, and I accept that. "Nikhil-lā soḍavāyalā tū tyā Rākṣasāśī lagna kelaṃsa, tyāmuḷe mī tujhyāvara saṃśaya ghetalā, te māzhaṃ çukalaṃ, pūrṇapaṇe çukalaṃ." You married that Rākṣasa to set Nikhil free, and that made me suspicious of you; that was wrong of me, totally wrong. "Āṇi āpale ghara çālavāyalā tū ekaṭīça zhuṃzata hotīsa tevhāṃ samazā tyā māṇasāne tujhyā kāhī garazā puryā kelyā asatīla, tara mī tulā doṣa deta nāhī." And when you alone were fighting to support our family, if perhaps that man may have fulfilled some needs of yours, I don't blame you. "Tulā to navarā mhaṇūna pasanta asela, tara sukhāta rahā, āmaçā tulā āśīrvāda āhe, paṇa Mandar jīvanta āhe mhaṇūna sāṅgato, tyācī bāyako mhaṇūna yā gharāta nāndāyaçā tuzhā adhikāra azūna āhe." If you accept him as your husband, then be happy, you have our blessing, but because Mandar is alive, I'm saying, you still have the right to live in this family as his wife. "Samāja je kāhī mhaṇela tyālā mī uttara deīna." Whatever society says, I will give the reply. "Tū tyācī cintā karū nakosa." You don't worry about that. "Pallavi, tulā gharābāhera kāḍhūna mī tuzhā viśvāsaghāta kelā." Pallavi, when I threw you out of the house, I betrayed your trust. "Malā mājhī çūka sudhārāyacī āhe." I want to correct my mistake. "Malā māpha karaśīla kā?" Will you forgive me?

Pallavi had waited a long time for Bābā to say these words to her. She was about to say, "Bābā, tumaçā mājhyāvaraçā rāga kharaṃça gelā nā?" Bābā, you're really not angry at me anymore, right? That was when they both noticed Mandar standing in front of them, his face slack and his eyes filled with hurt.

"Bābāṃnī tulā gharābāhera kāḍhalaṃ hotaṃ?" Mandar asked. Bābā had thrown you out of the house?

Chapter One on page 1

Chapter Two on page 2

Chapter Four on page 3

Chapter Five on page 4

Chapter Six on page 4

Chapter Seven on page 5

Chapter Eight on page 5

Chapter Nine on page 7

Chapter Ten on page 7

Chapter Eleven on page 8

Chapter Twelve on page 8

Chapter Thirteen on page 8

Chapter Fourteen on page 9

Chapter Fifteen on page 10

Chapter Sixteen on page 10

Chapter Seventeen on page 11

Chapter Eighteen on page 11

Chapter Nineteen on page 11

Chapter Twenty on page 11

Chapter Twenty-One on page 11

Chapter Twenty-Two on page 12

Chapter Twenty-Three on page 12

Chapter Twenty-Four on page 12

Chapter Twenty-Five on page 12

Chapter Twenty-Six on page 13

Chapter Twenty-Seven on page 14

Chapter Twenty-Eight on page 14

Chapter Twenty-Nine on page 14

Chapter Thirty on page 14

Chapter Thirty-One on page 14

Chapter Thirty-Two on page 14

Chapter Thirty-Three on page 15

Chapter Thirty-Four on page 15

Chapter Thirty-Five on page 15

Chapter Thirty-Six on page 15

Edited by BrhannadaArmour - 2 months ago
hapc thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Ahh another lovely chapter. Manasi and Amruta’s conversation felt realistic. I like what you have done with Manasi and I wanted to know if Amruta turned positive overnight here? I was surprised that Sulochana didn’t want Pallavi to come back as she did in the show, probably to make it easier for her to steal the property. Raghav and Pallavi conversation was absolutely brilliant. If only the show could have taken this route. Pallavi stating her fear of Raghav, confusion and the fact that what people say matters to her to an extent felt true to her character in the initial days. Raghav was also being Raghav. Kirti also seems like a much better character over here. I liked that she did apologize and Farhad .. my man is a 100. Love how he handles everything. I wanted to know why he teared up.. was it because he realized that his Anna must have been hurt by the conversation they had? I liked that Pallavi wanted to live separately from the both of them until she figures out what she wants. The scene where he reached home was sweet. Every character interacted with him in their own way. I also liked the Sharada was the one to go around feeding everyone pedhe. Vijay’s apology was also well written and I liked that he said he would support her even if she chose Raghav. Curious about what happens next now.

Edited by hapc - 2 years ago
Zara2021 thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Hellooo,

I was looking forward to reading this chapter and wasn't disappointed at all. Love the character development for all of the characters.

Wonderful to see Raghav's increasing awareness of how he mistreated Pallavi in the initial stages. 

Each of the Deshmukh characters have a realistic response to the dilemma they find themselves in.

Raghav and Pallavi's conversation was necessary and I am glad you chose to explore her suffering, unlike the show where a lot of her pain has been swept under the carpet. I know Raghav has repented but in the show, I feel that they didn't show the journey of someone who has been hurt and traumatised to suddenly in love and trusting the perpetrator fully.

Kirti's character is much more likeable here and like the original Kirtk in the show. So glad to see her regret and empathising with Mandaar.

I like Pallavi's decision to live independently and give herself time to make the correct choice and having her own space will give her that freedom. 

Out of curiosity, were Farhad's tears due to his hurt that his Anna and Bhabhi may separate or because he thought this means Mandaar and Pallavi may unite and this would hurt his feelings for Mandaar?

Vijay's regret was well written and it was interesting to see and there is still an element of selfishness there, in that he wants Pallavi to stay with Mandaar and keep his dreams alive.

Looking forward to seeing how things pan out for all the characters.

Thank you for sharing ❤️

Milalal27 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 6 Thumbnail + 4

Their development is 👍🏽 

Pallavi needs space to choose with no pressure or emotional blackmail from D family or Raghav. 

I feel for him 😢nonetheless 

Take care and thank you for the tag ♥️🙏🏽