Each Character's Favourite Classical Rāga?

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

In my latest fan fiction chapter, I had four characters choosing their favourite Rāga (Hindustani) or Rāgam (Carnatic), and Farhad contemplating why each choice made sense. So, I thought it would be fun to invite everyone to discuss if I got it right, or you have a different idea.

Here's what I have so far:

Farhad - Kedāra - "fresh air, skies clearing after light rain, grasses ripening in the fields"

Mandar - Mūlatānī - "low notes rolling out in a deep voice and the swelling leap to the high notes ... no better expression of masculinity"

Pallavi - Pilū - "plaintive ... with its variegated and spiraling notes ... a romantic personality that was just as demure"

Raghav - Amṛtavarṣiṇī - "musical phrases that demanded attention, refused compromise, insisted on making a point"

Continuing with other characters not analyzed by Farhad in my story ...

Amruta - Dhānī - an intricately colourful Rāga with a transcendent mood to match the way Amruta used to gawk at Raghav

Come on, join in!

Edited by BrhannadaArmour - 2 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

hapc thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

It’s so lovely that you created a thread for this. I unfortunately don’t have enough knowledge about classical music but I would love to read everyone’s opinions. 

I thought of one more:

Sharada - Tilaṅga - a wondrous meditative experience of inspiration, encouragement, and anticipation

Vijay - Kalāvatī - self-assured and dogmatic, inviting and sharing, pointing out beauty, evoking memories, gentle