Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Nishita123 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 2 years ago

Most of the time you will find best food in hole in wall places and not in these so called hyped brand name restaurants. 

canuck-umz thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: MooPoint

True like all branded stuff, this too is just the hype. Agree with ambience too. That I understand. And will fully indulge in $25+ entrees. $8 is normal for us 😆..

But the way she spoke about Sona , like 3 yrs of planning etc makes it seem like she is involved in everything but looks like she just a influencer whose PR just brings in the ppl by duping them into thinking its her restaurant. 

Now if its celebrated Chef's restaurants too, the menu and recipes are set by them but in the end its just overhyped restaurants. Sanjeev Kapoor's restaurants had really good food though. 

On the rare occasion even I would indulge in those $25 entrees but those ingredients are a bunch of masalas mixed into water right? Lol you obviously have a lot of feels for them gol gappas so even you are unwilling to dish out $4/ gol gappa.

A lot of businesses do this, where they get someone appealing to be the face of their brand and let people believe that that individual is the owner while behind the scenes it's someone else pulling the strings. For example, that dude you always see in V Shred videos is just some dumb model following someone else's instructions and has no stake in the company. Rihanna's Fenty is owned by LVMH while Rihanna only has a 15% stake yet everyone believes she owns everything.

High end restaurants do use quality ingredients and the chef's themselves wake up at 4 am to head to the markets to grab the freshest ingredients. It's the same thing with brands. Some brands truly are just hype while others like luxe brands made in Italy and using quality materials may be worth it. Canada Goose (jackets normally $1000) is considered an investment and comes with a lifetime warranty and are made to last that long so it can be justified. Those $4 gol gappas I cannot justify at all. 😆

Minionite thumbnail

YES! Blasphemy selling it for so high $$$. $24/6 pani puri.🤣 Bhai for $24 ,I can put 10 gallon gas in my car and drive 300 miles to a cheaper more tastier place to have  Golgappas.

Hold on! WHAT???? $4 a golgappa???? I just had a plate of golgappas at a local restaurant for that price! Got 8 for $4.

Now I'm scarred. 🤔 And I went to Sanjeev Kapoor's restaurant when he opened one in Brampton. Not even that was as pricey. 😵

Edited by Minionite - 2 years ago
hotchoco thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: canuck-umz

Rihanna's Fenty is owned by LVMH while Rihanna only has a 15% stake yet everyone believes she owns everything.

tbh, 15% is pretty good for a celebrity brand. Most of the time, even when they have an ownership stake, it can be like 1 or 2 percent. Instead of paying them to be a brand ambassador, they give them a small stake as compensation for the publicity they bring to the brand. This happens in India too. I remember Salman had like 5% in Yatra.com. It can end up being really beneficial if the brand ends up doing really well in the future if they keep the stake. Most of the time, they sell out. 

I think Deepika sold off her share in All About You because it was preventing her from endorsing other clothing brands. She probably didn't think it was worth it. She sold it and immediately signed as a brand ambassador of another fast fashion brand.

Minionite thumbnail

Originally posted by: Nishita123

Most of the time you will find best food in hole in wall places and not in these so called hyped brand name restaurants. 

Agreed. When you travel anywhere, don't ask the hotel for suggestions. Instead ask a local or better yet Google it. That's what I do nowadays. Ate at some rather good places when I traveled in 2018 and 2019. Hopefully will get back to it next year.

If you want to try a brand-name restaurant once in a while, then look for ones that are hyped because of their chefs, not because of the celebs or the decor or the views or whatever else.

canuck-umz thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Minionite

Hold on! WHAT???? $4 a golgappa???? I just had a plate of golgappas at a local restaurant for that price! Got 8 for $4.

Now I'm scarred. 🤔 And I went to Sanjeev Kapoor's restaurant when he opened one in Brampton. Not even that was as pricey. 😵

Lol I was just telling them how the most expensive I have seen here are $8 + HST for 6 and there you are definitely paying for the ambiance.

Do you recommend Sanjeev Kapoor's restaurant? I have been meaning to try since he reminds me of my grandma who passed away a few months ago (she used to watch Khaana Khazana a lot back in the day). Btw. have you tried Parathe Wali Gali? Someone recommended that to me.

Minionite thumbnail

Originally posted by: canuck-umz

Lol I was just telling them how the most expensive I have seen here are $8 + HST for 6 and there you are definitely paying for the ambiance.

Do you recommend Sanjeev Kapoor's restaurant? I have been meaning to try since he reminds me of my grandma who passed away a few months ago (she used to watch Khaana Khazana a lot back in the day). Btw. have you tried Parathe Wali Gali? Someone recommended that to me.

There are definitely expensive places here, but if you find the right places, you can get good food for a cheap price. I just had a thali from a local restaurant for $9. Got 7 sabzis, papad, rice, achar, vada, and payasam in it. Such tasty and exquisite South Indian food. Muah.

Naa I wouldn't recommend. Definitely not worth the money. I went for a family friend's parents' 40th anniversary party so they paid for it. There were a lot of items taken directly from Masterchef India contestants (and a few of them didn't even have credit given).

No. I don't go Brampton's way much. Only when I'm attending functions or visiting a family friend. I don't know where you are located, but two Indian places that you should definitely try are Embassy Samosa King and Babu Delivery. Samosa King - try their thali or kothu roti some time. And Babu Delivery, try anything. Some of the best South Indian and Tamil food and their sweets are muah. I've never had better gujiya, jalebi, mango barfi in all of Toronto than here in my entire life so far.

loginidran thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

Instead of Aloo channa .

😆

I have had gol gappas with Celery juice. 😵That  day I lost faith in humanity.. I mean why would you do that man? Itna hi boora lagta hai toh khao hi mat. why tweak it into something that is totally unrelated? 

I understand the ambience and everything but there are foods that go with it which also fully justify the price tag on them what with the exclusive ingredients they use in them. But please no Avocado and Celery juice in gol gappe in the name of Luxe foods. 

Nishita123 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Minionite

Agreed. When you travel anywhere, don't ask the hotel for suggestions. Instead ask a local or better yet Google it. That's what I do nowadays. Ate at some rather good places when I traveled in 2018 and 2019. Hopefully will get back to it next year.

If you want to try a brand-name restaurant once in a while, then look for ones that are hyped because of their chefs, not because of the celebs or the decor or the views or whatever else.

True. I do the same most of time on trips. Explore local food and once in a while go for brand name aka rip off restaurants only to confirm naah wasn’t worth it lol  😆

Nishita123 thumbnail

@Canuck-umz, personally I didn’t find anything outstanding at The Yellow Chilli  ( Sanjeev kapoor’s restaurant ) but I have heard mixed reviews for this one. May be depends on the chefs at particular  locations? For me, I thought  one can find better North Indian food at some other authentic places.