Can Bollywood offer good roles to South Superstar Samantha Akkineni? - Page 4

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

rocky212 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

šŸ˜² Pooja Hegde is that you?????

loginidran thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Keerthi.02

The entire story of mahanati was narrated by this character's view point. Director also answered the main question of why we would want to watch Savitri's story even in this age. Honestly the movie would not have been half palpable if not for madhuravani's presence. Everybody knows Savitri's story and its tragic ending. The presence of fictional characters madhuravani and Vijay kept the movie from becoming a complete sob fest. Sometimes denying the audience what they want to show them what need is the director's prerogative. 

May be true for you. But not to me and many that I know. A lot of us still wanted to see the unadultered Savitriā€™s story not some random Mahduravanā€™s or whatever.

Maroonporsche thumbnail
Originally posted by: rocky212

šŸ˜² Pooja Hegde is that you?????

Show me some more photos 

Lord_Voldemort thumbnail
Visit Streak 1000 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail + 9

More power to actresses with this kind of star power. Wish this happens in Bollywood as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PWWF0kW1xE

Keerthi.02 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: cutejodikangal

May be true for you. But not to me and many that I know. A lot of us still wanted to see the unadultered Savitriā€™s story not some random Mahduravanā€™s or whatever.

And to many of us, Savitri's story is already known. There were not many new things about savitri shown in the movie anyways. 

But your posts says "audience" is irritated by the fic character's taking away screen time from savitri. I am sure Nag Ashwin had deliberated and agonized over every minute of the added or removed footage of his dream project. He must have taken the decision as to how much of Savitri's story is too much. He must know the audience's pulse better than the collective number of people you and I know šŸ˜€. Personally I loved the movie's non linear story presentation, it was a master stroke that elevated the movie. 

P. S: Just realised that the thread is about sam. Sorry op for digressing 

Lord_Voldemort thumbnail
Originally posted by: Keerthi.02

And to many of us, Savitri's story is already known. There were not many new things about savitri shown in the movie anyways. 

But your posts says "audience" is irritated by the fic character's taking away screen time from savitri. I am sure Nag Ashwin had deliberated and agonized over every minute of the added or removed footage of his dream project. He must have taken the decision as to how much of Savitri's story is too much. He must know the audience's pulse better than the collective number of people you and I know šŸ˜€. Personally I loved the movie's non linear story presentation, it was a master stroke that elevated the movie. 

P. S: Just realised that the thread is about sam. Sorry op for digressing 

No worries! Your perspective is nice to hear.

I am in the minority who didn't like the movie at all...it was so predictable and lacked a dramatic punch, if only half as much effort was put into the screeplay as it was into making the costumes and sets (and I was someone who didn't know about Savitri much; just that she was an iconic actress who died young). 

pathaka thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: Lord_Voldemort

Why is such a big deal made of the fact that Suresh Productions produced Oh baby? Yes, she is family to them, but she is also a bankable actress and people want to watch her on the big screen. She enjoys a loyal fanbase and has also proved that she is capable of carrying successful films on her shoulders. 

On Mahanati - I didn't enjoy the film at all myself and certainly not her role, but that is the director's fault. She did fine with the material she was given to work with.

On her approach to acting, uhh, there are certain personality traits of hers that she brings to her characters, but that never comes in the way of making them less believable or taking away from what the director wants to convey. But again this is true for most actresses. I am not saying she is a Meryl Streep, but she definitely has a spark as an actor and shines when the director and the role fall into place.

Her USP is that she is not only she is one of those rare top actresses who are pretty and can act, but also that she's so passionate about her craft and constantly wants to raise the bar for herself and her contemporaries in cinema. That's so rare to see among South Indian actresses which is why I am rooting for her.

the oh baby thing was a counter argument to your ā€œsheā€™s successful even after marriage and after so many yearsā€ theory 

Well ofcourse she is , she married the son of two of the biggest families in the Telugu film industry , each with their own production house 

Iā€™m not denying her initial success and not saying she owes that to the akkinenis or daggubatis...she was a bigger star than them when she married...butttt she had also been in the industry 10 odd years 

Most other actresses like nayan, anushka, Trisha all saw a dip in their careers after the first 10 years in the industry despite being mass favs at one point 

Samantha not seeing a major dip after 10 years is not a testament to her popularity or her craft (the above three are superior to her in either or both aspects)

It is rather, a result of the additional brand value and support she got from the families she married into which the other ladies didnā€™t have 

Her success canā€™t be attributed to them but her longetivity and success post marriage certainly can 

Like I said, sheā€™s a product of right place at the right time 

Lord_Voldemort thumbnail
Originally posted by: pathaka

the oh baby thing was a counter argument to your ā€œsheā€™s successful even after marriage and after so many yearsā€ theory 

Well ofcourse she is , she married the son of two of the biggest families in the Telugu film industry , each with their own production house 

Iā€™m not denying her initial success and not saying she owes that to the akkinenis or daggubatis...she was a bigger star than them when she married...butttt she had also been in the industry 10 odd years 

Most other actresses like nayan, anushka, Trisha all saw a dip in their careers after the first 10 years in the industry despite being mass favs at one point 

Samantha not seeing a major dip after 10 years is not a testament to her popularity or her craft (the above three are superior to her in either or both aspects)

It is rather, a result of the additional brand value and support she got from the families she married into which the other ladies didnā€™t have 

Her success canā€™t be attributed to them but her longetivity and success post marriage certainly can 

Like I said, sheā€™s a product of right place at the right time 

But she is successful after marriage and 12 years of career - even if you do not include her work with home banner. So I still do not understand how your argument counters that. Yes, her connection to that family definitely increased her clout and power, but to what extent can you attribute her success as an actress after marriage to just that?

Nayanthara, Anushka and Trisha all of them saw a dip and so will Sam. Her grit and determination is 100% more than all of these three and that is probably a bigger reason why she continues to thrive than because of her in-laws connection. I mean she certainly didn't bag the role of the protagonist in the most popular Indian web series because she was married to the Akkineni-Daggubati family? Imagine if things worked like that, the likes of Rana Daggubati would have been everywhere.

Also, while you mention that her link to this family helped her become more successful than Anushka, Trisha or Nayanthara - which may be valid, but what about the fact that these three are not married at all! I mean single actresses are much more sought after than an actress who has been married for four years. So if there are factors helping Sam, there are some others that are working against her as well. 

pathaka thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: Lord_Voldemort

But she is successful after marriage and 12 years of career - even if you do not include her work with home banner. So I still do not understand how your argument counters that. Yes, her connection to that family definitely increased her clout and power, but to what extent can you attribute her success as an actress after marriage to just that?

Nayanthara, Anushka and Trisha all of them saw a dip and so will Sam. Her grit and determination is 100% more than all of these three and that is probably a bigger reason why she continues to thrive than because of her in-laws connection. I mean she certainly didn't bag the role of the protagonist in the most popular Indian web series because she was married to the Akkineni-Daggubati family? Imagine if things worked like that, the likes of Rana Daggubati would have been everywhere.

Also, while you mention that her link to this family helped her become more successful than Anushka, Trisha or Nayanthara - which may be valid, but what about the fact that these three are not married at all! I mean single actresses are much more sought after than an actress who has been married for four years. So if there are factors helping Sam, there are some others that are working against her as well. 

the popular web series is by raj n dk...the Telugu duo who admitted that Samantha seeked them out and expressed interest in the family man much before they even finalised her for the second season ( read her tweets on the first season of family man...she spammed the crap out of her timeline praising it...and this was a good 6 months before they even finalised her for the second season and started filming for it) 

it is far easier for her to make it happen with the lineage and resources sheā€™s associated with.....as compared to a parvathy, nayan and anushka or Trisha who are more or less on their own and lone wolves 

And I donā€™t know how one determines Samantha has more ā€œgrit ā€œ than any of the aforementioned actresses...just coz they arenā€™t showboaty about their films and achievements like she is? 

Lord_Voldemort thumbnail
Originally posted by: pathaka

the popular web series is by raj n dk...the Telugu duo who admitted that Samantha seeked them out and expressed interest in the family man much before they even finalised her for the second season ( read her tweets on the first season of family man...she spammed the crap out of her timeline praising it...and this was a good 6 months before they even finalised her for the second season and started filming for it) 

it is far easier for her to make it happen with the lineage and resources sheā€™s associated with.....as compared to a parvathy, nayan and anushka or Trisha who are more or less on their own and lone wolves 

And I donā€™t know how one determines Samantha has more ā€œgrit ā€œ than any of the aforementioned actresses...just coz they arenā€™t showboaty about their films and achievements like she is? 

Err, that is a totally different version of events. Correct me if I'm wrong - Samantha was cast in season 2 before season 1 had even released. So her praising it was after she was already cast on the show. Also, it was Raj and DK who went to Sam and not the other way around. At least that's what the directors say here. 

say hereAlso, Raj and DK have not worked with the Akkineni/Daggubati family, if anything Sam is the first one from the family to have established that link. They are not even obligated to cast anyone from their family because their primary industry so far has been Bollywood where that family has little sway. Even in the few Telugu movies they have done, they have only cast outsiders and have shown no inclination to please the bigwigs of the industry. So I don't know on what basis you're saying things like her lineage has helped her bag a show like that. On Oh baby I would agree, but not Family Man.

The fact that Samantha would do something like a Mahanati (playing second fiddle to a less popular actress) or playing an antagonist in a web series in a foreign industry at the peak of her career - these are not conventional choices, and relatively speaking the triumvirate you mentioned have for the most part made safer choices. Of course this is subjective and your POV may differ on this but this is how I see it.

Edited by Lord_Voldemort - 2 years ago