Can Bollywood offer good roles to South Superstar Samantha Akkineni? - Page 2

Posted: 2 years ago
Originally posted by pratts

Why is coming to Bollywood such a measure of success.  Let her act in any wood as she gets a good author-backed role that broadens and enhances her skills.  That much should suffice.  She has enough money and surely that is not an incentive so why bother.  I dont think as audience coming to Bollywood means any success, if anything it means you are ready to be hero's side kick and might get one role exclusively for you in maybe once in 10 years.  An artist is one who is open to doing good work in all mediums across all platforms. 

Majority of Bollywood does not come under this category.

Going to Bollywood means a larger audience, new crop of directors, chances of fresh pairings, more money and fame. Precisely why PC is chasing Hollywood.

It's just a new avenue to explore.

She has done lead roles in Oh baby , U turn and Super deluxe recently apart from playing a second fiddle to the lead actor . In bollywood , South actress will only get flowerpot roles like illeana, rakul and kajal .

Originally posted by YoursTrulyOne

She has done lead roles in Oh baby , U turn and Super deluxe recently apart from playing a second fiddle to the lead actor . In bollywood , South actress will only get flowerpot roles like illeana, rakul and kajal .

She is in her mid-30s. She will not get those stereotypical flowerpot roles for sure; she's too old by Bollywood standards for such roles.

I personally would like to see her with Ranveer or Ranbir in a story about a newly married couple- something in the lines of Kramer Vs Kramer.

She’s less than what she’s made out to be ...like the better of the worst automatically becomes the best lol...she barely had any competition with the likes of Tamannah and kajal only doing 2 bit roles and being worse actresses than her ....

just got lucky “attaching on” to successful projects like rangasthalam, mahanati, super deluxe, mersal which already had a lot of hype for various other reasons

.ramcharan Sukumar and music were trump cards for rangasthalam

Keerthi and dulquer made mahanati work 

Mersal was vijays show and super deluxe was Vijay sethupathis show

U could argue she contributed to oh baby and Majili but she overacted a lot in oh baby and majili was a regressive meh role that didn’t need her to do much anyway 

But she is much better actor and a bigger star than her husband for sure 

She survives coz she’s not bad and is married to the akkinenis - daggubatis who run the Telugu industry 

but does she excel.....? Naaah ...not a single performance where she blew everyone away.( like sai pallavi in fidaa, keerthi in mahanati)..she “manages” that’s abt it

Edited by pathaka - 2 years ago
Originally posted by isabel655

Isn’t she married with a superstar son in the South? I don’t know much about South actors. One day, I saw one of her song along with her real life husband in Youtube. People on the comment section were saying that it’s her real life husband. It was recommended in one of the video. That’s how I got to know her and her real life husband that is son of a superstar in the South. What is that guy name? I forgot. Anyway, Bollywood doesn’t give much chance to married actresses. Forget about South actresses, most Bollywood married actresses are jobless. Only few actresses succeeded like Kajol, Kareena and Deepika that still got to do lead roles on big budget movies. Other than that, some do low budget movies on mainstream movies like Vidya, Konkona, Radhika and Rani. She is very pretty. Don’t know how she acts because I haven’t seen her work but I think most likely no when Bollywood is busy launching young star kids. 

Her husband's name is Naga Chaitanya. Yes, he's the son of the superstar Nagarjuna. She is an outsider superstar, who got married to film royalty, the Akkineni family. Her husband is not as successful as her or as his father. It's kind of like they're the AbhiAsh of the South.

She acts very well and has proved herself as an actress. She can give most Bollywood actresses a run for their money with her looks and talent.

Originally posted by Lord_Voldemort

Going to Bollywood means a larger audience, new crop of directors, chances of fresh pairings, more money and fame. Precisely why PC is chasing Hollywood.

It's just a new avenue to explore.

Again like I said that can happen with any wood she acts in fresh pairings and new directors, she is already well known and people do watch movies in other languages even though they may not follow the language.  I am one of them who has watched countless movies in many languages I dont understand, a habit started with my mother who used to watch movies irrespective of language.  Coming to BW is really not the correct space for the reasons mentioned.  PC was literally hunted out of Bollywood and we only ]imagine all the papad making she must have done to reach whereever she has, again she is not as successful as she would imagine us to be, the reality is doing magazine covers across the globe does not make you a successful artist.  She has everything except acting in HW 

Originally posted by pratts

Again like I said that can happen with any wood she acts in fresh pairings and new directors, she is already well known and people do watch movies in other languages even though they may not follow the language.  I am one of them who has watched countless movies in many languages I dont understand, a habit started with my mother who used to watch movies irrespective of language.  Coming to BW is really not the correct space for the reasons mentioned.  PC was literally hunted out of Bollywood and we only ]imagine all the papad making she must have done to reach whereever she has, again she is not as successful as she would imagine us to be, the reality is doing magazine covers across the globe does not make you a successful artist.  She has everything except acting in HW 

What... PC was not hunted out!! Yes there was a camp against her, but not the rest of Bollywood. She continued working with Yash Raj Films, SLB, Salman etc.

She went there because her goal was "global domination". Whether she became successful or not is besides the point.

Originally posted by pathaka

She’s less than what she’s made out to be ...like the better of the worst automatically becomes the best lol...she barely had any competition with the likes of Tamannah and kajal only doing 2 bit roles and being worse actresses than her ....

just got lucky “attaching on” to successful projects like rangasthalam, mahanati, super deluxe, mersal which already had a lot of hype for various other reasons

.ramcharan Sukumar and music were trump cards for rangasthalam

Keerthi and dulquer made mahanati work 

Mersal was vijays show and super deluxe was Vijay sethupathis show

U could argue she contributed to oh baby and Majili but she overacted a lot in oh baby and majili was a regressive meh role that didn’t need her to do much anyway 

But she is much better actor and a bigger star than her husband for sure 

She survives coz she’s not bad and is married to the akkinenis - daggubatis who run the Telugu industry 

but does she excel.....? Naaah ...not a single performance where she blew everyone away.( like sai pallavi in fidaa, keerthi in mahanati)..she “manages” that’s abt it

That's very harsh and unfair to her.

To deny her contribution to films like Rangasthalam or Mahanati (she took on those films despite knowing that they were not centered around her characters - I mean, esp. Mahanati. She was the bigger star than Keerthy and yet to take on the smaller role when the whole film was about Keerthy, that took guts!! And on a sidenote, Keerthy is a limited actor and I didn't think of much of her histrionics in the film or the rest of her career. Ya she won NA, but we all know how that has little to do with acting).

Coming back to Sam, she has been really good at her craft from the beginning of her career. Ye Maya Chesave, Eega, Neethaane En Ponvasantham, Manam - she did really well in all these films which were at the beginning of her career. Yes, she has done forgettable roles in blockbuster movies, but then so has almost every other top actress. But especially in the last 3-4 years she's been really acing it. U turn, Super deluxe, Majili, Jaanu - she has really improved as an actor. (Majili being regressive has nothing to do with her craft as an actor). Oh baby was a regular commercial caper so I won't think much of her "overacting" in the movie, as she was merely playing to the gallery and was very successful at that; giving a blockbuster after her marriage in a film where she was doing most of the heavy lifting. To attribute that to the fact that she is married to the Akkinenis is ridiculous, when her own husband has not been able to make much headway for himself. This is the same line of argument used for Aishwarya, and that was equally ridiculous.

She definitely acts better than most mainstream actresses of Bollywood and I see no reason why she will not do well in this industry as well.

Originally posted by Lord_Voldemort

That's very harsh and unfair to her.

To deny her contribution to films like Rangasthalam or Mahanati (she took on those films despite knowing that they were not centered around her characters - I mean, esp. Mahanati. She was the bigger star than Keerthy and yet to take on the smaller role when the whole film was about Keerthy, that took guts!! And on a sidenote, Keerthy is a limited actor and I didn't think of much of her histrionics in the film or the rest of her career. Ya she won NA, but we all know how that has little to do with acting).

Coming back to Sam, she has been really good at her craft from the beginning of her career. Ye Maya Chesave, Eega, Neethaane En Ponvasantham, Manam - she did really well in all these films which were at the beginning of her career. Yes, she has done forgettable roles in blockbuster movies, but then so has almost every other top actress. But especially in the last 3-4 years she's been really acing it. U turn, Super deluxe, Majili, Jaanu - she has really improved as an actor. (Majili being regressive has nothing to do with her craft as an actor). Oh baby was a regular commercial caper so I won't think much of her "overacting" in the movie, as she was merely playing to the gallery and was very successful at that; giving a blockbuster after her marriage in a film where she was doing most of the heavy lifting. To attribute that to the fact that she is married to the Akkinenis is ridiculous, when her own husband has not been able to make much headway for himself. This is the same line of argument used for Aishwarya, and that was equally ridiculous.

She definitely acts better than most mainstream actresses of Bollywood and I see no reason why she will not do well in this industry as well.

Honestly she felt like a hindrance in the Mahanati and the weaker part of the script. I still don't understand the need to insert her character into the movie. Every time people wanted to see more of Savitri, her character would show up out of nowhere annoying the heck out of the audience. 

In Rangasthalam she was nothing but a supporting star while the movie was about the two brothers, I mean what contribution you are talking about? 

She is an average actress who would’ve faded into oblivion like the other actresses of south had she not been married into the Akkineni family. Anushka is far bigger than her but look at her plight today. Nayantara is a better actress than her but still struggling. Whether you want to accept it or not, a big part of Samantha’s brand name was because of her link to the Akkinenis and Daggupatis.

Edited by cutejodikangal - 2 years ago