Can Hrithik overtake Salman Khan and Akshay Kumar in stardom?

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 years ago

I think he's already ahead of Aamir and SRK currently. But do you think he can overtake Salman and Akshay as well, in the near future?

If Hrithik plays his cards right, he has every chance of becoming numero uno. He legit has these movies lined up which are very promising be it Fighter or Vikram Vedha remake.

I don't even think the number game matters to Hrithik personally, but the craze around his films when they come out like War which I think worked primarily because of him is next level.

Salman and Akshay are doing lame movies nowadays, and Hrithik is more careful about content/quality than these two.

Discuss.

Edited by mintyblue - 3 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sashay01 thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail + 3

I think Hrithik should chart his own path. He should focus on his craft and choose good films- when he does this, he really hits it out of the park

When he tries to replicate a star model of mindless masala films, he tanks and it feels like a waste of his potential.

In my humble opinion, the Salman model of stardom is almost dead- Salman is the last one. Akki is a different beast- he chooses small budget films with limited scale so they are bound to recover their money

Hrithik is in an in-between space like Shahid- after the Khans but before the Rans. His strategy should be to just concentrate on doing good work, taking a leaf out of Shahid's book. When Shahid did cookie-cutter crap he struggled for years to be a star. And the moment he recalibrated from Haider onwards, he really turned it around!.

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Sashay01

I think Hrithik should chart his own path. He should focus on his craft and choose good films- when he does this, he really hits it out of the park

When he tries to replicate a star model of mindless masala films, he tanks and it feels like a waste of his potential.

In my humble opinion, the Salman model of stardom is almost dead- Salman is the last one. Akki is a different beast- he chooses small budget films with limited scale so they are bound to recover their money

Hrithik is in an in-between space like Shahid- after the Khans but before the Rans. His strategy should be to just concentrate on doing good work, taking a leaf out of Shahid's book. When Shahid did cookie-cutter crap he struggled for years to be a star. And the moment he recalibrated from Haider onwards, he really turned it around!.

What about War, Dhoom 2? I feel he took those to another level, and managed to transform them from just another mindless film to a feast for the eyes.

PangaNaLe thumbnail
Own Your Stories Participant 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Hrithik's problem is that he takes too many breaks and doesn't deliver consistently at box office like Aamir either.

This ain't the first time people are expecting him to go ahead of the Khans.

KNPH, KMG, Krrish, Dhoom 2, after every single film audience thought that he was going to rule Bollywood in upcoming years. 

Now people again have the same expectations after the success of Super 30 and War.

But his pattern till now is the same. 

One or two big Blockbusters followed by duds, long breaks and moderate success. I don't think it's going to change in future either.

He doesn't have the script sense like Aamir to consistently make quality films and he ain't going to stop taking long breaks. 

Anika80 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: mintyblue

What about War, Dhoom 2? I feel he took those to another level, and managed to transform them from just another mindless film to a feast for the eyes.

war was succesfull Thanks to tiger shroff too he's very quotes as action star 

Anika80 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sashay01

I agree salman is the last one in terms of semi  God  stardom. I think ranveer Ranbir  more than hritik but there would not be a big dominance like in srk Salman era

Talis thumbnail
Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

The Khans are not a monolith even though they're portrayed that way.    In his first decade, even with the early flop period (mostly 2002 - mid 2003) and the later break Hrithik was already at least #2 for the decade - slightly (according to BOI - heh) behind SRK.  Those early flops are also why he'll never commit to and film multiple films at the same time again.

After a mediocre 2000-2009 in the the last decade Salman moved ahead of everyone with all his action masala blockbusters  There may be signs of slowing down since his last clean hit was 2017. SRK hasn't had a hit since 2014.  Aamir had a spectacular run but his vaunted script sense faltered with Dhoom 3 and crashed with Thugs along with B.O.  Now he's doing a remake of Forrest Gump.  We'll see.

Akshay in terms of B.O. came into his own over the last decade but in quantity rather than HGOTYs.  He's actually the rarity now since most of the bigger stars - including Ranveer and Ranbir (who will contend for the top spot) are releasing 1-2  films a year -  if that. (Ranbirs last film release was 2018)

As for Hrithik's breaks - most of if not all Hrithik's are because the length of films (JA and Mohenjo Daro each took 1.5 years to film) or health related.  

During BB it was a brain clot that set him back at least 7 months and where he lost films because directors wouldn't or couldn't wait  (that's how he wound up doing MD which he'd turned down before)

Earlier, on the last day of filming JA his leg collapsed.  Drs told him his knee was going arthritic and in a year he wouldn't be able to walk let alone dance on it again.  Over a period of two years he did research, consulted Drs around the world, did new and experimental therapies and surgeries.   Even then he did favors to his father and Zoya and danced on it between surgeries. He said one of the main reasons he signed on to Guzaarish is because he knew it was a film he could do if he lost the use of his leg.

Over the years he's had multiple broken bones (shoulders, legs, hands) and torn ligaments in addition to slipped discs and the knee problems.   I'd say his health is probably his biggest obstacle to doing multiple films a year for a long stretch of time - especially if he's going to do action films - which are probably what's needed to consistently rule the current B.O.

Edited by Talis - 3 years ago
hasini009 thumbnail

Stardom ka zamana gaya. Now story and good acting sells. All thanks to OTT platforms 

I_M_SultaN thumbnail

ahead of ammir lmao

Edited by ChotaShakil420 - 3 years ago
Rhimjhimsawan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

I don't know. I don't think so. He could have and still can but I don't think he will. He doesn't have Salman and Akshay's drive or consistency even though he is so much more talented than them. You can have all the potential in the world but unless it translates to giving the fans something to hold on to it means nothing. Hrithik movies are rare, commercial hits are even rarer.