Who is your favorite director? Bollywood or Hollywood?

Posted: 3 years ago

Who are your favorite directors? Bollywood or Hollywood or any other wood or television. What do you like about them? What work of theirs do you greatly admire?

I love Anubhav Sinha. I loved the way he tells his stories. Even before he did Mulk, Article 15 or Thappad. I love his concepts and his characters. There is something very natural about them. 

I love Zoya Akhter. She tells stories I relate to. I like her attention to details. She adds on these little minor things to her movies that just mean everything to me. I love her subtle ways to add depth and meaning to her characters. I find it such good writing. I also love her aesthetic. I can watch her movies just to visually treat my eyes. I know one of the criticisms she received for Gully boy was that she even made the slums look pretty. I love all her movies. 

I love Shoojit Sircar. Half biased because he is Bengali. Sometimes I do wonder whether it is his work I really love or his combination with Juhi. Juhi and Shoojit have created some of the most interesting characters who I love to hate. 

In Hollywood I think Aaron Sorkin and David Fincher are freaking outstanding. I think what they do is perfection. Their combined work the Social Network is still one of my most favorite movie till date. I love Sorkin's Trial of the Chicago 7 and of course the West Wing. For Fincher, I love all his movies. Thriller is my favorite genre and I think no one does it better than him. 

I love Taika Waititi. His work is so fresh and refreshing. I like his type of whimsical and quirky. Thor Ragnarok and Hunt for the Wilderpeople were two of the funniest movies I watched in last few year. 

Over the years there have been many right from Mani Ratnam to RGV(can you imagine😲😆) to even Hirani(he lost me after he made Sanju😵). 

My current favorite though has to be Zoya because of all the reasons you stated. I loved all her movies from Luck by Chance to the recent Gully Boy and cannot wait for her next!

And my all time favorite is SLB! I simply love his kind of movie making.❤️

Other than that - I am kinda waiting for Rajamouli’s RRR but that’s about it.

I dont know about favorites, but I will list the directors for whose movies I get excited when they are announced 

Zoya is excellent. She has a very refreshing style and just knows what to capture on screen. Luck by chance is my fav. 

Farhan has made 3 of my most favorite movies. Lakshya is my fav

Anubhav Sinha is quite good as well - delivers realistic movies without making them too overbearing. 

Anurag Kashyap - he is gifted and yet he can be a hit and miss, but when he HITS, it sticks like anything. Plus, he always has interesting stories to tell. Looking forward to his next Bansuri. 

Moving away from the Tukde Tukde gang 😂

I really like Neeraj Pandey. He has given 4 really good movies out of 5. He is coming up with a movie on Chanakya - wish he cast someone other than Ajay. 

Sujoy Ghosh, Anurag Basu (hit or miss), Sriram Raghavan (hit or miss), Vikramaditya Motwane (hit or miss), Nitesh Tiwari, Reema Kagti (hit or miss).

Dileesh Pothan, Anjali Menon, Renjith, Lijo Jose.

Haven't been entertained by many HW movies in a few years. They all seem to be scifi/fantasy or way too preachy.

Mine are:

Shoojit Sircar: The guy is a GENIUS. I freaking love his range, his versatility, and the human element which he infuses into all his stories.

Ashwini Iyer Tiwari: Loved all her movies so far. She has a unique sensibility, neither too sentimental nor too detached - the perfect balance!

Gauri Shinde: A master storyteller. The way she breathes life into her characters is extremely inspiring.

Vikramaditya Motwane: Love the way he straddles different genres with consummate ease. You never know what to expect next!

Sujoy Ghosh: Next level thrillers. Knows how to intersperse storytelling with absolutely raw, riveting moments which capture the thriller dimension perfectly.

Rajkumar Hirani: His movies leave me with a smile on the face. The warmth of his stories and the messages which he weaves in so artlessly makes it a winsome combination.

Nitesh Tiwari: Something about his movies are so close to life. He knows how to blend realism with larger-than-life moments.

After a lot of thought, 

Sujoy Ghosh and Ashwini Iyer Tiwari.

I totally and completely loved Badla and Bareily Ki Barfi.

Originally posted by RaVanKiRani

After a lot of thought, 

Sujoy Ghosh and Ashwini Iyer Tiwari.

I totally and completely loved Badla and Bareily Ki Barfi.

Those are two of my favourites as well❤️

Badla had me on the edge of my seat throughout.

Bareilly Ki Barfi is sweetness personified, it lives upto its name completely!

1.Sriram Raghavan. His movies keep you guessing. And his characters -both the heroes and the villains- have grey shades. His characters prove that in the right kind of circumstances anyone can become a villain. And I love the way he pays homage to old Bollywood classics.

2.Milan Luthria. He's excellent and at turning masala movies and familiar characters into classy,stylish and engaging products. He made John Abraham act in Taxi 9211 which is no easy feat :)

3. Vikramaditya Motwane, Prakash Jha. Motwane knows how to play with our emotions while Jha knows how to do justice to an ensemble cast.

There's no one better than Ridley Scott for making historical movies. I hope one day our film makers will learn from him how to give justice to the characters and the historical setting and not to let the love story be the focus.

Edited by capricornrcks - 3 years ago

English - Zack snyder 🙏, Nicolas Winding, Ridley Scott, chris nolan

Telugu - Puri jagan and sukumar 

Tamil - Shankar, murugudoss, lokesh kanagaraj, myskkin

Hindi - not many talented enough to be absolute favorites although i like directors like ali abbas, priyadarshan, Karan Johar