Ashley.Tisdale thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 3 years ago

I am not talking about the original being from a regional film, but a Hindi film getting remade a few years/decades later, whether or not the original was a remake.

Do u think all original movies are better? Or does the remake actually do the trick a couple of times? Do you always laud the original because it makes you nostalgic?

For example: Khoobsurat was made twice, followed by Seeta our Geeta - Chaalbaaz (exactly the same plot line with darker changes in Chaalbaaz), Coolie No 1, Judwaa, Agneepath, Pati, Patni aur Woh.

So what do u think? Which ones have you preferred and why ? And what do you think about this original vs remake comparisons ?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Ashley.Tisdale thumbnail

Imo for me, in Bollywood, originals are much more well done most of the times because the team has worked on the project from scratch. Even the South remakes they used to make in the 90s, the story would be the same but everything else would be different. Actors would bring their own flavour, music used to be different (with the exception of one or two remake songs) and the overall feel would be different. 

Maroonporsche thumbnail

I haven’t seen many of the OG films (pati Patni, Agneepath, Coolie no.1, Don) I suppose I should get around to that. 😆

I saw Judwaa 1 and 2 and I liked them both 

An I saw Arjun reddy and Kabir Singh both. I liked KS better. But they were ripped off Hollywood film flight 😆

JayaBachan thumbnail

I might be in the minority here as I don’t hold any nostalgic feelings for actors and actresses that were born before 2nd November 1965 😆(coughSRKsbirthcough). So I am always ready to embrace and accept remakes of old movies. 

• As much as I know how much this forum hates Devdas, I am ready to be the first civilian to be martyred for this comment. So here goes *takes deep breath*. I loved SLB’s remake of Devdas. I watched Dilip Kumar’s version and hated everything about it. The ending scene consisted of Paro screaming Devdas and then running two steps and hitting her head on the door. Talk about being anti-climatic. 😆 I need more drama and angst, so the current version fed into those needs. 
  • I loved HR’s remake of Agneepath. There was so much pain and anger reflected in his eyes. I felt like Vijay’s thirst for revenge was much more emotionally driven in this adaptation. I couldn’t see the screen clearly from all the tears - especially when he meets his sister and the way he screams ‘Baba’ when he finally gets justice. My God the torment in his voice when he breaks down screaming. I was screaming with him (internally) and looked exactly like him at the end of the movie (red rimmed stoned eyes, snot running down my nostrils, chest heaving etc). 
  • I’m going to skip Don 1 as I like to pretend that never happened. But I am super glad for the remake as I was bestowed with Don 2. In this lifetime, I was given the gift of seeing SRK as a villain looking his hottest best in that entry scene with his long hair and beard. Nothing can take that memory away from me. Nothing. 

Since I have touched a dangerous topic here where Amitabh Bachan and Dilip Kumar’s movie has been mentioned. I’d like you all to know that I come in peace and to just ...

😆 JK. Bye felicia 

Edited by FingerFetish - 3 years ago
Ashley.Tisdale thumbnail

In Hollywood though, there doesn't seem to be a fixed formula. Sometimes the original is better and other times the remake.

Recently I have been helping my 8 year old niece study during the lockdown so I relived my childhood too 😆 I've been teaching her Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and it was her who got me thinking this because she asked me which film should she watch since there are two versions.

Obviously I told her first not to watch the films until her exams are over (they happen within the next month)to avoid confusion between the book and movie(s).

I had seen both the versions, in fact I saw the original 'Willy Wonka' before I read the book...and during my term year I watched the newer Tim Burton version.

Imo our generation was kinda blessed in this aspect because we got the newer film while reading the book in school and I felt the following. You'd either love or hate either films, there's no in between.

With the original, the nostalgia flavour was high but even as a child I did not enjoy it because the sets looked fake and there was too much colour and happiness while Grandpa Joe and Charlie were d**ks 😆 Never enjoyed that version of Willy Wonka too.

But the newer version was much more true to the book, the actors were perfectly cast, Tim Burton captured the essence of a Roald Dahl book perfectly. If you've ever read this author's work, there is always a disturbing underline tone. The books have always been dark, but you'd realise that when you got older. I knew this right from the beginning because I was a bookworm. 😆

So of course I prefered the beer adaptation. Also technology was upto date by this time so the VFX was fab. Danny Elfman did an amazing job with the score. But the person who takes the cake is definitely Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka. This was exactly how Wonka should've been! Wonka was an extremely dark character, there is an unsettling air of mystery about him in the book because you don't know where he comes form or who he is, you just trust him. As a reader, things seem innocent as the book is meant to be from a child's viewpoint albeit it being written in third person.

Ofc Tim Burton added his own backstory for Wonka which imo even worked with the story unlike the entire Slugworth track in the original film. 

But Johnny Depp's Wonka was brilliant. You see his stunted mind growth and lack of social skills from being isolated since years. You also see that its his childlike mind that makes him create those amazing chocolates coz lets be real, no adult could come with the ideas Wonka came up with. Plus the punishments that each kid gets is very disturbing. But Wonka isn't a sadist, he is a child trapped in a man's body. Not a man-child. You see he believes in "the bad kids should get what they deserve" and even though he's planned the entire tour and knows exactly what would happen to the kids you can see that his actions aren't one of a sadist, but of a man who does not understand the severity.

May I just add here #JusticeForJohnnyDepp (bring Capt Jack Sparrow and Grindlewald 😭)

Ya so like I said, most off the audience prefers the original because of the high nostalgia factor but in reality, even from a neutral perspective, the remake was much better than the original in every aspect. As a book lover it was a treat for me to watch a movie which was very close to the book. The fact that they stuck to the original lyrics for the Oompa Loompa songs written by Roald Dahl himself was freaking awesome. 

Performance wise also the remake was better but there are people who prefer Gene Wilder since that's who they grew up watching. Not to demean Mr. Wilder ofc he is a great actor, but Johnny Depp's portrayal was much much more like the Wonka I envisioned. His stares, creepy dialogues and voice just adds to the insane darkness of the character. 

This is one instance where nostalgia has clouded the audience's judgement.

Sea-stars thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Original = Remake= Ram aur Shyam= Seeta or Geeta = Chalbaaz.

The only remakes above that I don't have problem with. 

Silpa20 thumbnail
IPL 2023 Match Winner Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9

I didn't watch chaalbaaz.is it similar to Seeta aur Geeta?

Ashley.Tisdale thumbnail

Originally posted by: Silpa20

I didn't watch chaalbaaz.is it similar to Seeta aur Geeta?

It is but I found Chaalbaaz darker. In S&G, the main culprit's the aunty while in Chaalbaaz its the uncle. So minor differences are there but both have been enjoyable for me 😊

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ashley.Tisdale

In Hollywood though, there doesn't seem to be a fixed formula. Sometimes the original is better and other times the remake.

Recently I have been helping my 8 year old niece study during the lockdown so I relived my childhood too 😆 I've been teaching her Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and it was her who got me thinking this because she asked me which film should she watch since there are two versions.

Obviously I told her first not to watch the films until her exams are over (they happen within the next month)to avoid confusion between the book and movie(s).

I had seen both the versions, in fact I saw the original 'Willy Wonka' before I read the book...and during my term year I watched the newer Tim Burton version.

Imo our generation was kinda blessed in this aspect because we got the newer film while reading the book in school and I felt the following. You'd either love or hate either films, there's no in between.

With the original, the nostalgia flavour was high but even as a child I did not enjoy it because the sets looked fake and there was too much colour and happiness while Grandpa Joe and Charlie were d**ks 😆 Never enjoyed that version of Willy Wonka too.

But the newer version was much more true to the book, the actors were perfectly cast, Tim Burton captured the essence of a Roald Dahl book perfectly. If you've ever read this author's work, there is always a disturbing underline tone. The books have always been dark, but you'd realise that when you got older. I knew this right from the beginning because I was a bookworm. 😆

So of course I prefered the beer adaptation. Also technology was upto date by this time so the VFX was fab. Danny Elfman did an amazing job with the score. But the person who takes the cake is definitely Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka. This was exactly how Wonka should've been! Wonka was an extremely dark character, there is an unsettling air of mystery about him in the book because you don't know where he comes form or who he is, you just trust him. As a reader, things seem innocent as the book is meant to be from a child's viewpoint albeit it being written in third person.

Ofc Tim Burton added his own backstory for Wonka which imo even worked with the story unlike the entire Slugworth track in the original film. 

But Johnny Depp's Wonka was brilliant. You see his stunted mind growth and lack of social skills from being isolated since years. You also see that its his childlike mind that makes him create those amazing chocolates coz lets be real, no adult could come with the ideas Wonka came up with. Plus the punishments that each kid gets is very disturbing. But Wonka isn't a sadist, he is a child trapped in a man's body. Not a man-child. You see he believes in "the bad kids should get what they deserve" and even though he's planned the entire tour and knows exactly what would happen to the kids you can see that his actions aren't one of a sadist, but of a man who does not understand the severity.

May I just add here #JusticeForJohnnyDepp (bring Capt Jack Sparrow and Grindlewald 😭)

Ya so like I said, most off the audience prefers the original because of the high nostalgia factor but in reality, even from a neutral perspective, the remake was much better than the original in every aspect. As a book lover it was a treat for me to watch a movie which was very close to the book. The fact that they stuck to the original lyrics for the Oompa Loompa songs written by Roald Dahl himself was freaking awesome. 

Performance wise also the remake was better but there are people who prefer Gene Wilder since that's who they grew up watching. Not to demean Mr. Wilder ofc he is a great actor, but Johnny Depp's portrayal was much much more like the Wonka I envisioned. His stares, creepy dialogues and voice just adds to the insane darkness of the character. 

This is one instance where nostalgia has clouded the audience's judgement.

Was JD version of Charlie and chocolate good ? I never got around to watching it ?

Ashley.Tisdale thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maroonporsche

Was JD version of Charlie and chocolate good ? I never got around to watching it ?

I've watched it more than a million times, does that answer your question 😆

You definitely need to watch it. You know I would never advice you to watch garbage 😆

Have u read the book? The Johnny Depp version will be much more relatable in terms of books. And of course he did a terrific job ❤️

Everything fit perfectly well in the movie...I know it gets a lot of hate but its the superior film for me.