Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

YourCat thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

I feel eating the same food when you are young until old somehow makes you healthy, doesnt matter how unhealthy that food is, that home based food, based on my observation. Dont change your diet, maintain the same diet from young to old. 

Or it is just luck, I know a women on her retirement from govt hospital job, got a bad news of cancer, one would be surprised to know she exercise plus eat healthy foods. In fact, in my country, for some weird reason, the number of people who end up in the hospital is the race that eat the healthiest. I know people who work in hospital (relatives) so I get to know the inside story. 

Edited by Lalakhun1 - 3 years ago
HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ashley.Tisdale

Again no....we are omnivores BY CHOICE, not by ANATOMY. Our mouth structure and teeth are not meant for non vegetarian food. Its comparatively a new theory but the way we move our jaws makes us natural vegetarians. And this is coming from a non vegetarian so I need to evaluate my food choices too.

Material changes too. North Indians will use rice in biryani with meat etc while South indians will steam it and use it for Idli, Neer Dosa etc. Compare Litti-Chokha to Dal-Baati-Churma. They look similar but are they the same?

How can u generalise Indian cuisine? I studied regional cuisine for a year including their nutritional value and ingredients used so I know what I am talking about.

Punjabi, Mughlai, Gujarati even elements of Rajasthani cuisine are extremely unhealthy. But not Maharashtrian, South Indian, Himachali and UP-Bihar cuisine.

Adding tonne of oil, salt etc is a choice and majority Indian households do not follow that choice. They don't even cook non vegetarian food everyday (the main cause for cholesterol buildup and all those elements that cause heart issues). Staple Indian food for majority is using vegetables, unlike abroad where roasted meat with potatoes, a very small portion of salad or white bread cold cut meat sandwiches are popular. 

Punjabis enrich their food, Mughal food is already very rich in calories and fat content, Rajasthanis have besan in almost everything and tonne of hing and farsan with every meal and Gujaratis are known for their snacks and sugar content in food. That does not include the remaining states of India. 

A well balanced Indian meal does not have more carbs than proteins, it has the right balance which u can adjust according to your need. You don't need to add 3 tablespoons of ghee to your dal-chawal, just a small amount suffices and is proven good for health. 

Hence generalising Indian food is absurd.

Read Pathaka's post above mine as well, she's framed a lot of things very well.

Incorrect on several counts. 

1. Being a vegetarian is the choice, not being omnivorous. 

Proof, you may ask. Aside from the fact of there being evidence of human meat-eating since last 450,000 years? I'm going to stick to biology here.

Most cited in favor of vegetarianism being natural for humans is the jaw structure. Here's where the supporters of the theory mix up eating cooked meat and raw meat. Human jaw  and dental structure and the slight overbite are perfectly suited to eating cooked meat.

Another assertion is meat is acidic and not meant to be digested by human gut. Actually, human gut adds acid to any food, which results in a mush in the stoamch.

From there it moves on to the duodenum and intestine proper where enzymes acting on meat such as lipase, protease, trypsin, and chymotrypsin.

The strongest evidence that meat-eating is completely natural to humans comes from the liver and bile. Bilirubin and biliverdin act on ANIMAL fats so pancreatic enzymes can work on food more efficiently. Human bile is therefore subnstantially different from that of herbivorous animals such as cows. 

None of this is to say vegetarianism can't be more healthy. It can be. 

2. Why are you conflating DIET, which I talked about, and cuisine, which I didn't?

Indian diet - yes, I will generalize because a region has habits just as a state does or a family does as any scientific org will tell you or they wouldn't be able to do population studies. Once again, indian DIET is high in carbs and salt and oil, which is EXTREMELY unhealthy.

Don't buy it or the umpteen number of studies showing the amount of heart disease and stroke in very vegetarian Indians?

Well, then... enjoy your heart disease, I suppose.😕

Edited by HearMeRoar - 3 years ago
Ashley.Tisdale thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

Incorrect on several counts. 

1. Being a vegetarian is the choice, not being omnivorous. 

Proof, you may ask. Aside from the fact of there being evidence of human meat-eating since last 450,000 years? I'm going to stick to biology here.

Most cited in favor of vegetarianism being natural for humans is the jaw structure. Here's where the supporters of the theory mix up eating cooked meat and raw meat. Human jaw  and dental structure and the slight overbite are perfectly suited to eating cooked meat.

Another assertion is meat is acidic and not meant to be digested by human gut. Actually, human gut adds acid to any food, which results in a mush in the stoamch.

From there it moves on to the duodenum and intestine proper where enzymes acting on meat such as lipase, protease, trypsin, and chymotrypsin.

The strongest evidence that meat-eating is completely natural to humans comes from the liver and bile. Bilirubin and biliverdin act on ANIMAL fats so pancreatic enzymes can work on food more efficiently. Human bile is therefore subnstantially different from that of herbivorous animals such as cows. 

None of this is to say vegetarianism can't be more healthy. It can be. 

2. Why are you conflating DIET, which I talked about, and cuisine, which I didn't?

Indian diet - yes, I will generalize because a region has habits just as a state does or a family does as any scientific org will tell you or they wouldn't be able to do population studies. Once again, indian DIET is high in carbs and salt and oil, which is EXTREMELY unhealthy.

Don't buy it or the umpteen number of studies showing the amount of heart disease and stroke in very vegetarian Indians?

Well, then... enjoy your heart disease, I suppose.😕

1. Humans were natural herbivores and opportunist omnivores. Meant to consume vegetables, but will consume meat to survive. That eventually led to the inclusion of meat in diets. Reference: The China Study by Dr Colin and Dr Thomas Campbell. There are others but this is the most known one. 

I never mentioned about food digestion, I know very well that HCl is secreted in the stomach, which is also to create an optimum pH for Pepsin.

And I already mentioned it is a relatively new theory, biology as u like to stick to, evolves every few years, theories change. Before the 1960s there was no concrete evidence linking smoking to cancer...but today every cigarette package has a 'No Smoking' disclaimer.

Vegetarianism is considered healthy mainly due to the fact it digests quicker and gets absorbed into the blood stream. But with non vegetarian food, it might take a very long time, not even an hour of cardio might do it. A relative of mine who studied gastroenterology had mentioned the hours it took for different foods to digest in the stomach. Non vegetarian food may take days, sometimes it even ferments inside the body because there's too much in the stomach.

2. Diet is what humans eat, based on their preferences. There might be food items eliminated from the diet, based on choice. And depending on where you live or the region you belong you, your diet will comprise of your cuisine. A Tamilian's diet would consist of Tamilian cuisine, he/she cannot eat items like rajma, butter chicken everyday.

And your argument is based on 3-4 states, so the remaining 24 are also termed as unhealthy? Is that what scientific org tell, they generalise an entire country's eating habits concentrated to few regions. Sure then...you're right 🤓

Indian DIET can never be generalised, otherwise my entire semester on quantity kitchen, nutrition and the 5 star hotel chefs who came as guest lectures have taught me nonsense and themselves are not knowledgable aint it.

A few states/dishes do not define the entire country's diet and health level. Indians who use that amount of salt, oil and carbs you're talking about is a minuscule percentage. We've even started mixing nachni or jawari with whole wheat or avoid whole wheat altogether because the modified one is said to screw with sugar levels. 

So no...Indian DIET is not what you're saying it is. It is a country where language changes every 15 to 20 km, so barring a few states and households no one does what you've said.

Heart disease does not see what you eat, it could be genetic as well, and if you're eating shit all the time it doesn't matter whether you're vegetarian or non vegetarian, you'd get that health issue irrespective. These diseases are also based on how much cholesterol, 'bad' fat you have in your body. If you eat food high in such nutrients then you will have heart problems.

Dont worry about my non-existent and never-happening heart disease, I have studied enough biology, nutrition, and culinary art to know what's right and wrong. 

Sorein thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 4 Thumbnail + 2

No matter how I look at it and try to be open minded, in no culture celebrating so openly a birthday so soon after an important death is acceptable. Of course they are free and not harming anyone, but that proves once again how tone deaf and thoughtless this family is (all of them). Birthdays are not that important to celebrate (unless you are a child), this is not a birth or wedding that was already planned. They could have done a super low-key thing if they are so eager to celebrate. Just very strange.

NimbuMirchi thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

No. Indian Punjabi and Mughlai cuisine is very rich and not meant for everyday meals. And non veg is actually not meant for humans; but we eat it a lot.

Check the other regional cuisine, Maharashtrian, UP-Bihar, Himachali, South Indian cuisine are the most healthy sub-Indian cuisines.

General meals have whole grain rotis, vegetables, lentils, rice, clarified butter, yoghurt. Each ingredient has its benefit and is the most healthy in the world. Having lived abroad for 2 years and eaten various European cuisines, I can say with guarantee that there is no meal better than traditional wholesome home-made vegetarian Indian food.

Yes to this. Having lived abroad for 15 years, I can say this too. I don't have to worry about adding Veggies to my daughter's diet coz well, we eat different vegetables everyday. Plus all the daals and different flour rotis. 

NimbuMirchi thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: jeetuji

Its not food. Its the amount oil, butter and fried items Indians use, combined with lack of exercise, India has one of the most unheathy population in the world. Indian food can be super healthy if they dont use so much oil and eat so many fried items. 

To mat karo use. Kisne bola aapko oil daalne ko? My mom never put lot of oil in our food and I do the same to my family’s food. 

Indian food ko gaali dene se behtar hoga aap apni aadatein badliye.

Originally posted by: pathaka

Define “ tonnes”

Most Indian households don’t have tonnes when making home cooked meals 

Ghee and coconut have found to be beneficial for their short chain and medium chain fatty acids...they aid in hormonal well being 

Most Indian households use it in a normal amount ...even if they use 2 tablespoons per curry, that is shared amongst 3-4 people with leftovers 

They don’t make samosas everyday at home and don’t drown their food in ghee and oil

Deep fried foods are traditionally only made on festivals I.e once in a while 

The “drowning in oil”  happens in restaurants which is never a standard for healthy eating anyway in any cusine  

Indian cusine uses lots of herbs and spices that aids in digestion too

Now if some people prefer eating hakka noodles with a side of butter chicken and biriyani from their fav restaurant , then ofcourse they will get obese

No one got fat from eating home made poha, upma, idli, dosa, khichdi, dal rice  etc

Then why do Indians have such bad health? Its one of the worse in the world. Something is clearly wrong. Using two spoons of ghee per dish is very bad and average Indians uses way much oil, salts and sugars. Look at Indian street, everything is fried in tons of oil. Compare average Indian health to East Asian or European person, its horrible. Not sure which fantasy world you live in

HearMeRoar thumbnail

1. Humans were natural herbivores and opportunist omnivores. Meant to consume vegetables, but will consume meat to survive. That eventually led to the inclusion of meat in diets. Reference: The China Study by Dr Colin and Dr Thomas Campbell. There are others but this is the most known one. 

I never mentioned about food digestion, I know very well that HCl is secreted in the stomach, which is also to create an optimum pH for Pepsin.

And I already mentioned it is a relatively new theory, biology as u like to stick to, evolves every few years, theories change. Before the 1960s there was no concrete evidence linking smoking to cancer...but today every cigarette package has a 'No Smoking' disclaimer.

Vegetarianism is considered healthy mainly due to the fact it digests quicker and gets absorbed into the blood stream. But with non vegetarian food, it might take a very long time, not even an hour of cardio might do it. A relative of mine who studied gastroenterology had mentioned the hours it took for different foods to digest in the stomach. Non vegetarian food may take days, sometimes it even ferments inside the body because there's too much in the stomach.

2. Diet is what humans eat, based on their preferences. There might be food items eliminated from the diet, based on choice. And depending on where you live or the region you belong you, your diet will comprise of your cuisine. A Tamilian's diet would consist of Tamilian cuisine, he/she cannot eat items like rajma, butter chicken everyday.

And your argument is based on 3-4 states, so the remaining 24 are also termed as unhealthy? Is that what scientific org tell, they generalise an entire country's eating habits concentrated to few regions. Sure then...you're right 🤓

Indian DIET can never be generalised, otherwise my entire semester on quantity kitchen, nutrition and the 5 star hotel chefs who came as guest lectures have taught me nonsense and themselves are not knowledgable aint it.

A few states/dishes do not define the entire country's diet and health level. Indians who use that amount of salt, oil and carbs you're talking about is a minuscule percentage. We've even started mixing nachni or jawari with whole wheat or avoid whole wheat altogether because the modified one is said to screw with sugar levels. 

So no...Indian DIET is not what you're saying it is. It is a country where language changes every 15 to 20 km, so barring a few states and households no one does what you've said.

Heart disease does not see what you eat, it could be genetic as well, and if you're eating shit all the time it doesn't matter whether you're vegetarian or non vegetarian, you'd get that health issue irrespective. These diseases are also based on how much cholesterol, 'bad' fat you have in your body. If you eat food high in such nutrients then you will have heart problems.

Dont worry about my non-existent and never-happening heart disease, I have studied enough biology, nutrition, and culinary art to know what's right and wrong. 

As someone else said here, not sure what kind of fantasy you're weaving here. 

Human gut is quite well evolved to digest nonveg and quite different from other herbivores'.

It ain't that difficult to check. Biology of most animals has been well studied.

As for your cuisine comments 😆... then vegetarianism even without grease and salt and carbs must be one of the unhealthiest diets of all in that case since cardiovascular and neurovascular disease in Indians, even vegetarians, is quite high. That is statistically proven fact.

Given that fact, which is responsible? The high grease and salt and carbs in Indian diet or the vegetarianism which you claim is the natural state and according to you is followed in most of India?😆 Even the U.S. with its high rates of meat eating has less coronary deaths.

I don't normally bother with wilfully blind people, but you're disseminating serious misinformation here which could harm the health of other people.

For anyone reading such posts: please look up what the various medical associations advise about the current Indian diets. I hope no one believes random posters on IF (including me). Vegetarianism is good if you can get enough protein with it, but you also need to see what carbs and oil and salt in your regular, average Indian diet can do to you. Please check with a medical association or talk to a professional.

Rhimjhimsawan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

I would think considering he lost two of his siblings recently this is absolutely the right time to celebrate his birthday with his family. Who knows if he will live to see another one. 

w4always thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

It's very obvious from everyone's birthday wishes that Randhir is feeling very low. He's lost so many family members back to back, so maybe this celebration is just to pick up his spirits. The KwK with the Kapoor fam was so funny - they didn't take potshots at anyone else and kept it classy.