mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 years ago

His movies are critically acclaimed and they bring in good money as well. Mostly apart from a Dhobi Ghaat which is perhaps too niche, they bring in humongous numbers. Even a flop film like Thugs of Hindustan opened to massive numbers at the box office. 

Astute business sense makes him relevant amongst both the masses and classes, which is a rare feat in Bollywood IMO. He's not a fabulous actor and has glaring limitations, but he is on top of the game when it comes to winning over the neutral audience. The credibility attached to his name is enormous.

My only grouse against him: why doesn't he greenlight more experimental films? He's a mega star and they will get a decent initial at least.

But my question is: how does he manage to bridge the gap between masses and classes? Is it only business sense or some other factor? No doubt he has the best understanding of content, but what about the fact that he manages to please both the arty types and the massy types?

Discuss.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mintyblue thumbnail

I remember watching both Lagaan and Gadar:Ek Prem Katha in the movie halls, and though Gadar was such a massy film, I remember how people cheered for Aamir's entry in the film but Sunny Deol's entry got a lukewarm response!

Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: mintyblue

I remember watching both Lagaan and Gadar:Ek Prem Katha in the movie halls, and though Gadar was such a massy film, I remember how people cheered for Aamir's entry in the film but Sunny Deol's entry got a lukewarm response!

Probably depends on which demographic, Sunny Deol still gets huge cheers here. Forget Sunny, till date Jackie Shroff gets cheers here😆.

mintyblue thumbnail

Originally posted by: MujheMaarjaneDo

Probably depends on which demographic, Sunny Deol still gets huge cheers here. Forget Sunny, till date Jackie Shroff gets cheers here😆.

Ok. I saw the films in Kolkata, singlescreen because I don't think multiplexes were there in 2001 or even if they were, very rare.

Yeah it depends on the demographic.

Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Ok. I saw the films in Kolkata, singlescreen because I don't think multiplexes were there in 2001 or even if they were, very rare.

Yeah it depends on the demographic.

by demographic, I didn't mean the single screen/multiplex, but the regions and audience age.  For example a 80s-90s kids dominated audience always cheers hard for the big six(HR, SRK,  SK, both AKs and AJ)  compared to younger lot. While a post 2000 born kid generally have bigger cheers for younger star(with Sallu being the exception,  because well he is Sallu 😂). 

Maroonporsche thumbnail

While a post 2000 born kid generally have bigger cheers for younger star(with Sallu being the exception,  because well he is Sallu 😂). 

Sallu is Alpha ❤️😊

Now Then Forever 

capricornrcks thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

If I was wherever-you-are, I'd cheer Jackie Shroff over Sunny Deol any day. Nostalgia! Plus Jackie had swaaag. Forget all the six-packs.

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

I think Gadar is a much better movie and  I’ll take Gadar’s Sunny over Lagan’s Amir any day.

Edited by BettyA1 - 3 years ago
TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

His movies are critically acclaimed and they bring in good money as well. Mostly apart from a Dhobi Ghaat which is perhaps too niche, they bring in humongous numbers. Even a flop film like Thugs of Hindustan opened to massive numbers at the box office. 

Astute business sense makes him relevant amongst both the masses and classes, which is a rare feat in Bollywood IMO. He's not a fabulous actor and has glaring limitations, but he is on top of the game when it comes to winning over the neutral audience. The credibility attached to his name is enormous.

My only grouse against him: why doesn't he greenlight more experimental films? He's a mega star and they will get a decent initial at least.

But my question is: how does he manage to bridge the gap between masses and classes? Is it only business sense or some other factor? No doubt he has the best understanding of content, but what about the fact that he manages to please both the arty types and the massy types?

Discuss.

Bold - I think that answers your question... Either he’s the best or others are so bad...

PangaNaLe thumbnail
Own Your Stories Participant 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

The only time Aamir actually brought classes and masses together was during 3 Idiots, PK (with the help of Hirani) and Dangal.