Jo Jeeta wohi Sikander.....Aamir Khan's character, Sanjay

tina59 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 3 years ago

It's one of my most fav movies and still remember listening to all the songs in the cassette and watch it whenever it aired on Tv.

Recently, I decided to show it to my kids. 

While watching with them, I was repulsed and felt very angry with Aamir Khan's character, Sanjay. The irresponsible brat who used his friends esp Anjali, used the money his dad saved to get a bike for Ratan for his "rich" GF Devika.

The worst was that he does not once blame himself. He lies and lies to get Devika, saying he is rich, he is Thapar's son ( rich industrialist), he pretends to have servants, he takes a car from Anjali's mechanic shop after fooling her every single time.

When Devika breaks it off knowing his lies, he confronts her and calls her a gold digger and blames her for faking her love. She rightfully says that he should not be the one to talk as he started the whole thing with a lie and lied about everything. He justifies it saying he did it for love.

My kids did not like Aamir Khan's character at all. They preferred Ratan and liked him more.

Btw how good was Deepak Tojori in his role as Shekhar and Mamik looked great too.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ehaab thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

When I was a kid I saw this movie.it was one of my favourite movie.

But isn’t that the whole point of the movie? The amount of growing up he had to do to be able to participate in the final race and win it? Its all symbolic to how it works in the real life...None of us are born perfect...but we all can aspire to be better and work for it!

Edited by cricketfan1 - 3 years ago
roni_berna thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

I never saw this movie but I kept confusing it with SRK's dialogue Jo haar ke bhi jeet jaaye use Baazigar kehte hain and used to feel SRK acted in this movie 😆

tina59 thumbnail

Originally posted by: cricketfan1

But isn’t that the whole point of the movie? The amount of growing up he had to do to be able to participate in the final race and win it? Its all symbolic to how it works in the real-life...None of us are born perfect...but we all can aspire to be better and work for it!

Agree but it just didn't sit well with me, it felt like after doing everything bad, he got away. Yes, you are right, he did grow up but I didn't like it at all, he goes on to blame Devika when he lied through his teeth to get her.

it was interesting that my kids did not like his character at all. They kept questioning me on his actions.....

Originally posted by: tina59

Agree but it just didn't sit well with me, it felt like after doing everything bad, he got away. Yes, you are right, he did grow up but I didn't like it at all, he goes on to blame Devika when he lied through his teeth to get her.

it was interesting that my kids did not like his character at all. They kept questioning me on his actions.....

He didn’t get away...He lost his family and friends...He lost his self esteem...For a lot of us that is a place of no return but the guy realizes his mistakes and works hard to redeem himself....As long as one can learn from his mistakes and sincerely tries to redeem himself, he or she should always be given another chance...If I were you, I would’ve taught that valuable lesson to the children about how one can always make an about turn in life and become a better person....

BombayChic thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

It is one of my most favorite movies of aamir. Have watched it over a dozen times. It is sanjays journey of growing up ..coming of age. Coz his brother is very popular due to cycling competition, he somewhere chances upon devika to get popular and to show down deepak tijori. At certain points you feel hate for him but he makes up for everything at the end realising his mistakes .The movie had Brilliant acting by everyone.😊 

Edited by Columbus_Crew - 3 years ago

One of my fav movies..even today when I feel low I watched the last race bole to climax ...

For me, this movie taught that life gives you one chance to rectify your all the mistake and it's up to you what you choose... 

In the beginning, he is not mature enough but when responsibilities come to his plate he responded well ...

tina59 thumbnail

Good points. I don't use movies to teach my kids, I let them make their own opinions on the characters they see. However, I just realized that my views have changed, the character Sanjay whom I liked so much is no longer my favorite in the movie.

I feel although he redeemed himself in the end, I couldn't get past the number of times he took others for granted, and lied through his teeth to get something.

But as a movie, loved it, all the characters did so well, the songs are the best, my kids loved the title track. I also loved the 4 "bullies" esp the gobar scene. Also, the first food fight among Xaviers and Rajput was hilarious, esp the Xaviers guy who mocks Dipak Tijori's character when he is flirting with Devika.

InspectorShirke thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Tbh Deepak Tijori’s character even though was a rich and arrogant brat but he had grey shade as well and was not completely heartless like your generic villains