Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

My father was defeated at BO by hunks with 6 pack abs: Babil Khan

Posted: 3 years ago

My father was defeated at box office by hunks with six-pack abs: Irrfan’s Khan son Babil

Irrfan Khan's son Babil acknowledged that Sushant Singh Rajput's death has sparked discussions around the quality of films and treatment of artistes.

Written by Priyanka Sharma | Mumbai |Published: July 8, 2020 3:17:23 pm

NEXT

irrfan son babil bollywoodX

Babil shares his learnings from father Irrfan. (Photo: Instagram/babil)

Irrfan Khan’s son Babil, reflecting on his father’s journey, says that the late actor’s attempts to improve the quality of Hindi cinema were often thwarted by the audience, who refused to outgrow the comfort of commercial films.

In a long Instagram post, Babil today described how Irrfan was defeated at the box-office by “hunks with six-pack abs delivering theatrical one-liners and defying the laws of physics and reality.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Babil also wrote that before he went to London to study films, his father told him to make people abroad aware that Indian cinema was much more than “Bollywood”.

“He warned me that I’ll have to prove myself as Bollywood is seldom respected in world cinema and at these moments I must inform about the Indian cinema that’s beyond our controlled Bollywood. Unfortunately, it did happen. Bollywood was not respected, no awareness of 60’s – 90’s Indian cinema or credibility of opinion.”

“There was literally one single lecture in the world cinema segment about indian cinema called ‘Bollywood and Beyond’, that too gone through in a class full of chuckles. it was tough to even get a sensible conversation about the real Indian cinema of Satyajit Ray and K.Asif going,” Babil continued.

ADVERTISEMENT

He further mentioned that the audience needed to own up the blame for the success of mediocrity in Indian cinema as it has seldom welcomed realistic, uncomfortable stories on the big screen.

Babil wrote, “You know why that is? Because we, as the Indian audience, refused to evolve. My father gave his life trying to elevate the art of acting in the adverse conditions of noughties Bollywood and alas, for almost all of his journey, was defeated in the box office by hunks with six pack abs delivering theatrical one-liners and defying the laws of physics and reality, photoshopped item songs, just blatant sexism and same-old conventional representations of patriarchy (and you must understand, to be defeated at the box office means that majority of the investment in Bollywood would be going to the winners, engulfing us in a vicious circle). Because we as an audience wanted that, we enjoyed it, all we sought was entertainment and safety of thought, so afraid to have our delicate illusion of reality shattered, so unaccepting of any shift in perception. All effort to explore the potential of cinema and its implications on humanity and existentialism was at best kept by the sidelines.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Concluding his post, Babil said that he observes a change in audience’s perception today as the youth craves for a “deeper meaning” in cinema. “Now there is a change, a new fragrance in the wind. A new youth, searching for a new meaning. We must stand our ground, not let this thirst for a deeper meaning be repressed again.”

Acknowledging that Sushant Singh Rajput’s demise has sparked discussions around the quality of films and treatment of artistes, Babil wrote, “Although I resent that Sushant’s demise has now become a fluster of political debates, but if a positive change is manifesting, in the way of the Taoist, we embrace it.”

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

juba thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

My father gave his life trying to elevate the art of acting. 

Did he not die due to cancer primarily?  I understand he meant Irfan did not stop and kept on doing good cinema but defeated by six pack hunks is just judging them all. Some films may have been silly but not all 

Edited by juba - 3 years ago
zehreeli.kheer thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7

I wish, truly wish people would stop making people who pass away fallen heroes.. 

and stop discrediting the success of others by calling it mediocre.. I am sorry.. just because someone works in a certain type of movie, it in no way implies that their hard work is any less.. stop discrediting their success and undermining their hard work trying to prove the superiority of a certain type of cinema

That said, Irfan was a phenomenal actor.. and it wasn't like he wasn't appreciated.. he was.. every single time applauded for his act.. 

It is up to the audience to decide which type of movies they wAnt to invest.. stop guilt tripping them into liking a certain type of movies.. movies are meant to entertain.. If a movie entertains you, it's worth your money.. simple as that

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Not shocked. These art actors loathe commercial movies even if fans prefer commercial movies. You cant control the fans 🤣

Maroonporsche thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: Khai_R_Haagi

Babil wrote, “You know why that is? Because we, as the Indian audience, refused to evolve. 

I dont care who died this man has no right to make such comments. 

Maybe Bobby Khan needs a lesson in manners 😆

hotchoco thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Everyone is using this controversy for their own selfish ends. 

Irrfan was hugely appreciated for the types of films he did but you can't force the audience to watch movies that they don't want to. What does it even mean that his father was defeated at the box office by hunks? People watched what they felt like!

Sighh...how I wish he maintained his silence...Why drag Irrfan into this mess? :(

Maroonporsche thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: rkisnothot

Everyone is using this controversy for their own selfish ends. 

Irrfan was hugely appreciated for the types of films he did but you can't force the audience to watch movies that they don't want to. What does it even mean that his father was defeated at the box office by hunks? People watched what they felt like!

His dad starred in popular Hollywood films. What was he so bitter about 😆

Renee.Clare thumbnail
Most Liked (January 2024) 1 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 5

This content was originally posted by: cricketfan1

Sighh...how I wish he maintained his silence...Why drag Irrfan into this mess? :(

Same :(