Juhi Chawla: ‘I am Responsible for Karisma Kapoor’s Stardom”

Posted: 4 years ago

Juhi Chawla: ‘I am Responsible for Karisma Kapoor’s Stardom’; Reveals Rejected Films Because of Ego

Juhi Chawla Rejected Dil To Pagal Hai and Raja Hindustani because of 'Ego', that later featured Karisma Kapoor and became her pathway to success and fame...

March 17, 2020 7:46 AM

Kajal GuptaView Profile

Courtesy : Collage by India Forums

Actress and 1984 Miss India winner Juhi Chawla made her debut in 1986 with Sultanat, which starred an ensemble cast including Dharmendra, Sunny Deol, Sridevi and Amrish Puri. Having completed 34 years in the industry, the actress has entertained the audience with a wide variety of films like Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak, Pratibandh, Swarg, Bol Radha Bol, Darr amongst many many more. 

However, in a recent interview, Juhi reveals that when she was at the peak of her career, she let go of a lot of great films because of her “ego”.

I became pig-headed. I suddenly thought the industry will stop if I don’t work. I got some amazing chances to work in films, but my ego came in the way. I didn’t do some films, which I could have done, which may have been harder work and more competitive. I just didn’t do them because I wanted the easy stuff and I wanted to work with people I was comfortable with. I didn’t break barriers

- Juhi said in an interview with Rajeev Masand. 

Further, the actress revealed that she rejected Dil To Pagal Hai and Raja Hindustani – the two movies that later starred Karisma Kapoor and went on to become blockbusters. 

“I made stars out of everybody else,” Juhi said as Karisma eventually went on to do Dil To Pagal Hai and even won a National Award for her performance in the film. Besides, Raja Hindustani co-starring Aamir Khan also marked a turning point in LoLo’s career.

Speaking of the same, Juhi was told how the two films rejected by her went on to “make Karisma’s career”, it was then she joked, “Absolutely. I am responsible for her stardom.”

Meanwhile, on the work front, Juhi will be next seen in the upcoming film Sharmaji Namkeen, that will mark Rishi Kapoor’s comeback to the movies after his cancer treatment.

How long she is going to repeat the same thing ..lol

Originally posted by Elvis12

How long she is going to repeat the same thing ..lol

She was actually asked the question. Watch the interview. Juhi has gien some WTF statements lately. This IV was not one of them. The comments under the video were mostly angry at Masand for his insensitivity re: her tragedies.

It was just a failed attempt at being witty🤣

Jo hua wo bas itna tha:

Speaking of the same, Juhi was told how the two films rejected by her went on to “make Karisma’s career”, it was then she joked, “Absolutely. I am responsible for her stardom.”

She paid the price of her arrogance, ab kaahe ka rona.

Instead of drawing good attention to herself, she draws attention to what she could have done to be potentially a bigger star? Juhi was pretty big of a star back in the day, why is she cribbing over two films that she lost? Plus Karishma was perfect for those films. 

Originally posted by vsbarry

Instead of drawing good attention to herself, she draws attention to what she could have done to be potentially a bigger star? Juhi was pretty big of a star back in the day, why is she cribbing over two films that she lost? Plus Karishma was perfect for those films. 

She regrets it. I think people look more fondly at Madhuri than her. Karisma also had a longer career that her. She probably feels things would be different if she did those movies.

Edited by jb508 - 4 years ago

I am sorry but cant imagine Juhi in either of those roles esp Dil to pagal Hai where Karishma owned the movie !!

Originally posted by jb508

She regrets it. I think people look more fondly at Madhuri than her. Karisma also had a longer career that her. She probably feels things would be different if she did those movies.

Hmmm I can see that. Well then its her fault for doing easy films and wanting to only work with people she is comfortable with. I do remember juhi fondly though in whatever work she has done

Juhi isn't even a great dancer how did even yashji approached her for the part?? Because of the ongoing rivalry between Madhuri and Juhi? 

Also I remember having read that the Karishma was approached first but for some reasons she rejected. Later it went to many actresses and they all declined it, then finally yashji convinced Karishna and she agreed. Juhi would have spoiled the film, can't imagine her in that role. Nor she has that physique of an dancer. 

From my memory of reading StarDust, Yash Chopra approached Juhi, Manisha and Kajol initially. Since he was getting no where, he rewrote to give the role more heft hen aproached Urmila, and then finally Karisma.

Urmila preferred to do Judai over this and Karisma chose DTPH. It was also called Maine Mohabbat kar li or something like that. Honestly onl Urmila could've done the role if not for Karisma.