Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

lovemango thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Ok, so watched it... I actually thought it was okay - nothing terrible and nothing amazing - I thought LAK 2020 was better than Jab Harry Met Sejal (which was abs trash), and the story is a mix of Tamasha / Cocktail and the 2009 LAK. I think the reviews helped me tone down expectations for sure - Sara and Kartik try to work with the material given, but Sara disappointed. Kartik is decent in parts. Randeep Hooda has a major role and he was good in this. Enjoyed the first half more, the second half started dragging in bits. Overall I doubt the movie will do well, but Imtiaz fans will prob like parts of the movie.

Lots of spoilers ahead:

The thing with Imtiaz is that he keeps making the same movie - boy and girl meet, something happens, they separate and by the end they come back together in some very far away place (when he has a big budget then Tokyo/Prague and when he has to stick to something local then Manali/Himachal). In Tamasha and the first LAK, the conflict was career - Saif and DP wanted their own careers and in Tamasha, Ranbir was battling parental pressure with career choice. 

In this movie, Imtiaz has hotch-potched Ved from Tamasha into Sara with her career ambitions, but added elements of Saif in LAK (I thought this job was going to be my dream job, but it's nothing without the love of my life). Imtiaz also adds the 'aaj ki generation' ka confusion parts - Sara is confused whether she's in love with Kartik or Randeep's back story is what's influencing her, and she feels that Kartik's love isn't letting her progress in her career. On the other hand Kartik is the typical idealistic Imtiaz lover boy who quotes Rumi and wants to 'feel' a connection (I don't want Sara to come back to me because someone told her to, I want her to come back out of her own free will). 

This time Imtiaz is really let down by the acting - Sara tried to emote but it all felt superficial. This is where I had a newfound appreciation for Ranbir & Deepika because at least their acting was not jarring in the narrative. Sara's breakdown scene (the 'tum mujhe tang karne lage ho part) before the interval was something the Ranbir from Tamasha would've pulled off amazingly, but I felt like Sara was acting it out without feeling the actual emotions. Her breakdown isn't convincing enough - it feels super forced. It has nothing to do with low angle and looking ugly Sara - you didn't act it well out enough, period. Kartik is somewhat better but is limited by his range - he was def convincing in the 90s portions and he pulled off the aaj part as well as he could. It doesn't help that we see hardly any back story for aaj ka Veer - why are his parents the way they are? Just telling us that Veer longs for 'real' love in which the couple keeps coming back to each other isn't enough for us to feel bad / connect with him. Kartik did def. try but the material wasn't good enough for him.

Edited by lovemango - 4 years ago

Whiny 20 something shitheads 😆

https://youtu.be/k04HLQaN60w

shogun thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2

Opening day exactly as I predicted and from tomorrow fate will be sealed most likely. Fair value without Valentine's day would've been an 8.5 crore LOL. 😆 So much for that damn "SARTIK" hype eh?!?! Does Kartik still wanna work with Imtiaz Ali on that alleged Deepika project? Run my man. 

Love Aaj Kal First Day - Malang Second Friday

Saturday 15 February 2020 02.00 IST

Box Office India Trade Network

Google+ Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Twitter logo link

Love Aaj Kal has collected well on day on with 12 crore nett thanks to Valentine's Day which works like a holiday at many places. If we take out the Valentine's Day factor then the opening is probably around 8.50 crore nett which is not too good.

The trailer was not that good and on top the music did not work as it should for a love story so from that point of view its good number but being Valentines Day and the recovery needed at a theatrical level its probably not good enough as the film is not going to gain on Saturday and maybe not even on Sunday. 

The director also has a record that most of his films dont last at the box office so the start becomes even more important. Only Jab We Met managed to sustain but it was a small film with a limited audience. The other hit film which was the original Love Aaj Kal took a good opening due to superhit music but most of the audience could not connect and it did not do much after the first week. If this 12 crore nett had come on a normal day then it would be a different story altogether while now its about hanging at the sam level on Saturday which would mean around 40% growth for the film in real value.

Malang has had a fair hold collecting 2.25 crore nett which will now ensure a 50 crore nett plus total which is good for a film in which Aditya Roy Kapoor is the lead but there is some work still do for recovery and AVERAGE Status. The hold could have better considering as 50 lakh more would have put the film in a good position but it lost multiplex screens to Love Aaj Kal.

https://twitter.com/taran_adarsh/status/1228537947147735042?s=20

https://twitter.com/taran_adarsh/status/1228538173854273536?s=20

Edited by shogun - 4 years ago
HaariBhai thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Sara is getting bad reviews and she will have to work hard to undo the damage by this movie.

shogun thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2

https://twitter.com/taran_adarsh/status/1228552832149643265?s=20

Love Aaj Kal Does Well On Valentines Day

Saturday 15 February 2020 12.00 IST

Box Office India Trade Network

Google+ Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Twitter logo link

Love Aaj Kal had a good opening day at 11.75 crore nett thanks to Valentines Day but considering the film has got a 35-40% boost the collections should have been more. This number means that the real value Friday is around 8.50 crore nett which is not too good. It is the best opening of Karthik Aryan but that was always likely to happen.

The business of the film is good in most places due to the Valentines Day factor but if we take that out then the only place which is genuinely good is Delhi NCR. The collections of NCR including Gurgaon and Faridabad which fall into East Punjab centres are 2.45 crore nett. The next best are Kolkata and surprisingly the UP state which has collected 85 lakh nett (not including NCR centers Noida and Ghaziabad). This is a solid number for this type of film.

The flip side is that the film should have done better in metros like Mumbai, Pune and Bangalore as these are the target audience of the film. This is what could put the film into trouble because if the youth has not really come here on Valentines Day then its hard to expect these to do well in the long run. The film needs all metros to drive like its predecessor in 2009 but it looks like only Delhi NCR can do some good numbers. The decent figures in CPCI Rajasthan and Gujarat are due to Valentines Day and unlikely to sustain as film has nothing for these markets.

The fair value number of 8.50 crore nett is not much better than Love Aaj Kal which opened at 8.02 crore way back in 2009 but that had support of music which was huge. The film needs to have a Saturday similar to the Friday which would mean a 35-40% from Friday in real terms. 

Well, that's all she wrote folks. The movie's finished. Gonna crash from today. 

https://twitter.com/dipokbarman/status/1228510674575167488?s=20

Edited by shogun - 4 years ago
nonam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

what's this backlash for Sara, she is so spontaneous, and enjoyable in her interviews and show appearances, someone just has to properly direct her on screen, and she was wonderful in Kedarnath, all songs, so not being appreciated in her 3rd movie should not warrant such harsh criticism.  she still to me is more appealing then all the bhumis, tapsees, ananya tara etc.  she has improved amazingly in her stage dance performances over the last year, and with her intelligence(IV league is not an easy achievement, admission or graduation)  and drive (seen in her wt loss)  I would not yet write her off yet.  and she is one rare one who has the wit and charm to keep you watching her interviews.  and is humble too.

Originally posted by: nonam

what's this backlash for Sara, she is so spontaneous, and enjoyable in her interviews and show appearances, someone just has to properly direct her on screen, and she was wonderful in Kedarnath, all songs, so not being appreciated in her 3rd movie should not warrant such harsh criticism.  she still to me is more appealing then all the bhumis, tapsees, ananya tara etc.  she has improved amazingly in her stage dance performances over the last year, and with her intelligence(IV league is not an easy achievement, admission or graduation)  and drive (seen in her wt loss)  I would not yet write her off yet.  and she is one rare one who has the wit and charm to keep you watching her interviews.  and is humble too.

None of these matter in the actual world on the big screen while watching a movie. If you're bad, you're bad. Her intelligence or outspoken personality will not be able to salvage that. LAK 2020 is Zoe's story and every reviewer has said how she could not even interpret her character properly and hammed her way throughout the film. So she is being rightfully called out and criticized for that. Too bad her PR chose to focus on her IV league schooling and outspokenness in interviews over asking her to hone her acting skills coz at the end of the day she is an actor not a motivational speaker. Agar interviews hi deni thi then she wouldn't have been an actress.

The failure of her performance only busts the myth that she is the best thing since sliced bread and that she is the outsider of insiders in this industry. Hope she takes all this criticism and redeems herself in Atrangi Re instead of playing safe with Coolie no.1. That's when she needs to use her IV league intelligence- choosing scripts. Not while acting. Hope she doesn't blame the DOP for the criticism for her performance in LAK like she did on Anupama's show.

nonam thumbnail

she showed her potential in Kedarnath itself, and her screen presence in  aankh mare,  the stage presence, screen presence(tv and earlier movies), spontaneity , dance skills all matters in Bollywood, and one movie doesn't negate that.

Originally posted by: nonam

she showed her potential in Kedarnath itself, and her screen presence in  aankh mare,  the stage presence, screen presence(tv and earlier movies), spontaneity , dance skills all matters in Bollywood, and one movie doesn't negate that.

That's how fickle minded the industry and audience is. She showed potential in Kedarnath, impressed the audience with Aankh Maarey despite a terrible flowerpot role in Simmba and then just one overacting dialogue is what it took for everyone to troll her endlessly and one bad performance is all it took to the best of critics who lauded her in Kedarnath to rip her apart in LAK! 

nonam thumbnail

and one movie with bad reviews doesn't make a career

after original lak, it took Deepika a long while to get a hit.

we are forgetting the hate Deepika got for her dialogue delivery which all changed with cocktail.  not that I am comparing Sarah with Deepika but one movie doesn't make a career.