Chapaak and Panga: Future of female-oriented cinema depends on them?

Posted: 5 months ago

2019 was a bad year for female-centric cinema. Not a single female-oriented script worked at the box-office or was a clean hit( including Manikarnika, which did not recover its budget). EKLDTAL, Sky is Pink, Judgemetal Hai Kya, Khandaani Shafakhana and Mardaani 2 all opened below 5 crores.

In the present scenario, female-oriented cinema isn't working at the box office, and hence 2 upcoming films- Chapaak and Panga- will present a litmus test of sorts, considering they have stars who are among the highest-paid in the industry - Deepika and Kangana. Both these films clash with biggies starring bankable male box-office stars. I don't know whether this will affect the standing of these films, even though they seem like superior products, but we all know the bias of the industry.

Discuss.

Chappak from trailer looked so B grade like, while for its subject matter, it deserves success and all attention, but I don't think it will bring any revolution if it is as mediocre like it's trailer. But than again Chichorre didn't looked like a blockbuster either, but it turned out to be a huge hit and one of the best movie of the year.

Paanga can be next decade's English Vinglish, but box office wise, while I hope it grosses more than TWMR, but it doesn't look like a huge grosser, but than again I won't mind being surprised.

Mardaani 2 is a hit 

Chhapaak has genuine hype behind it right now while Ajay’s movie hype is almost gone. I think it has all its chances. Raazi’s trailer didn’t look glorious either.

As of Panga, it all depends on what Kangoli are up to.

Not just female orientated films. Female directors both those films have female directors and both are most recent 2 winners of filmfare best director. Ashwini for Bareily ki Barfi and Megna for Raazi

It’s a shame Chapak is in a clash I think it’ll loose

An I think Panga will fail as well. I don’t feel bad as casting a sociopathic flop actress Kangana was a a wrong move 😂 

But if the films fail the most well known female film director would be Farah Khan again 😉 

Originally posted by Maroonporsche

Not just female orientated films. Female directors both those films have female directors and both are most recent 2 winners of filmfare best director. Ashwini for Bareily ki Barfi and Megna for Raazi

It’s a shame Chapak is in a clash I think it’ll loose

An I think Panga will fail as well. I don’t feel bad as casting a sociopathic flop actress Kangana was a a wrong move 😂 

But if the films fail the most well known female film director would be Farah Khan again 😉 

God forbid smiley11

I really hope both of them emerge as winners at the BO(if they are genuinely good films). 

Both of them are on strong subjects, Chapaak even has a strong hype behind it. Even if it doesn't win the clash, a decent opening and good WOM should be enough for it to make around 70-80cr lifetime. I don't think Tanhaji has much hype right now but AD has large base in mass circuits and genuine theatre going fans so let's see. 

Please Kangu don't start with a negative campaign this time. Even if Pangaa is an average or above average grosser it will be another step in the right direction. 

Success of both these films will contribute a lot to female impact in Bollywood so fingers crossed. (If they are genuinely good films) 

I don't know about Panga, but Chapaak will create an impact for sure

It will start a dialogue in society....perhaps bring about a change in mindsets

Just watched the latest teaser from this movie, it's an eye-opener for sure