What are some mainstream films dealt sensitively with Rape?

diasingh2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 4 years ago

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3tRG7Ungqs[/YOUTUBE]

Just watched the above video.
It disgusts me to the core when I see how pathetic & idiotic content Bollywood has produced in last 30-40 years.

And then some people say that, films don't (or can't) have any influence on people.

Coming back to topic.

3 mainstream Bollywood films that actually affected me regarding "Rape", when I watched them as a kid are

1) Ghar (1978)

2) Damini (1993)

3) Dushman (1998)

Even though these films also had several OTT scenes, but they managed perfectly well in portraying the pain, truma & tribulations of the victims (or their family) and the message was conveyed accurately.

I do not want to consider films like "Zakhmi Aurat" & "Raja Ki Ayegi Baraat". They were too OTT and had very regressive & melodramatic approach towards "rape", throughout the film and more or less made a mockery of the sexual assault.

Neither I want to include mainsteam films like Simba, where "rape" was just a plot device to earn brownie points from the audience.

Thank God we're ending this decade with a film like Mardani 2 & starting the 2020's with Chapaak.

Your thoughts?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SakuraKakashi thumbnail

Raja ki Aayegi Bharat movie is disturbing.

Glitter_In_Eye thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

I personally loved Damini. 

Raijeera thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Movies like Jago, Mom- very similar story also Jazba. They were good but too painful to watch. 

diasingh2 thumbnail

Originally posted by: KhushbooLvNK

Movies like Jago, Mom- very similar story also Jazba. They were good but too painful to watch. 

Ohh yes. Off course MOM. How could I forget Mom? Its one of my favorites. I hope more movies like Mom are made today.

Also, Jaago was extremely difficult to watch as a kid.

Raijeera thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

I would also include humara dil aapke paas hai (anil+aish) .it was a good take. 

diasingh2 thumbnail

Originally posted by: KhushbooLvNK

I would also include humara dil aapke paas hai (anil+aish) .it was a good take. 

Oh. I never watched that film. What was its premise like?

GolguppaGuzzler thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

There's this drama Ruswai, it is about a girl who gets raped. She has a survivor personality. After watching the ost/promo, I feel like this drama is something which doesn't leave the girl without her own agency. 

In our society a girls worth is somehow linked to her virginity not her own self worth. But the protagonist questions her parents and wants to get justice for her. The setup is urban and her brother is supportive. Unfortunately, her father is shown to be a weak man and her fiance disillusioned.

Raijeera thumbnail

Originally posted by: WeWereOnABreak

There's this drama Ruswai, it is about a girl who gets raped. She has a survivor personality. After watching the ost/promo, I feel like this drama is something which doesn't leave the girl without her own agency. 

In our society a girls worth is somehow linked to her virginity not her own self worth. But the protagonist questions her parents and wants to get justice for her. The setup is urban and her brother is supportive. Unfortunately, her father is shown to be a weak man and her fiance disillusioned.

Also yakin ka safar. It's brilliant.

Raijeera thumbnail

Originally posted by: WeWereOnABreak

Also Udaari is a must watch.