Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AllThatCritique thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 4 years ago

Originally posted by: GrumpyTheCat

Yet she’s been at the receiving end of criticism for something as simple and as easy to understand as this. 

Not surprised at all. Some proverbial male egos in the interview itself represented what most male fandoms think. The way they jumped to proclaim it was a level playing field but when has show business in India (or literally anywhere else) been a level playing field? Women taking on risky roles while the field was anything but equal IS EXACTLY why Shoojit said what he did. 

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Which sex does more roles in which lives are risked ??? 😎

Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Her main point was not getting credit for it like how men get. It wasn’t men not doing it before. It wasn’t the first time an artist (male or female) was taking risk like how Ayushman was being represented. 

Plus the men bh her side were stifling her ... ughh 😡

English Vinglish wala dialogue

“ When Men Cook, it’s Art . When women cook it’s a chore/job” 

Not really, Deepika not Anupama nor anyone talked about credit at all.

Anupama asked whether Women take more risks than men as actors is correct generalisation is true or not.

To which Ranveer said, it isn't accurate, citing Ayushmann. Than Deepika said she thinks in boarder sense women actress have taken more risk than the major male stars. To which I disagree, because (a) it is an unfair comparison, because at one place you are putting all actresses especially the art/parallel and just major male stars(who may not played LGBT, but have played roles which weren't exactly typical BW hero roles involving risks) and (b) there have been many male actors who have played the roles of different spectrum as much as female.actors have, yes they're not the typical heros, but than again there haven't been female superstars who have taken the risk of playing risky roles, and when they finally started playing roles of mom and elder sis, it wasn't exactly risk, but just pure sexism that industry has against 30+ actresses.

Also Ayushmann isn't the first actor to take taboo topics, he just happens to be the first one who got commercial success. Hence the praise. It's not like Kalki, Azmi, Deepti and other ladies who have taken roles which were taboo weren't praised by people, it is just they were not commercially successful, hence the amount of praise Ayushmann gets, they didn't got. It's not about men or women, it is about commercial success, which unfortunately many male and female actors, who have done risky and taboo roles didn't get.

Yes how Vijay D and Ranveer reacted was childish, but that can because these two seems to be more frank with Deepika, we saw when Vijay D was responding to Parvathy, he wasn't been as brash or careless as he was Deepika. Maybe he shared a different equation with Deepika, hence he was quick to dismiss her point with "nonsense", while when Parvathy pointed her opinion, he was more sincere in putting his point. It's not like Parvathy isn't a woman. We cannot judge just people saying that he/she is a male/female, hence he/she must be not taking a male/female seriously, people react/respond to different people differently, and not everytime gender is the factor.

Also I am not criticising Deepika or bashing her, I am just disagreeing with her and saying she isn't factually correct in saying women actors take more risk than male actors. Different actors, regardless of their genders have taken risky taboo roles in the past. Big stars whether male or female, hardly ever took risky taboo roles, yes they took risk, but those risks were limited to negative or grey roles. That is my point, it doesn't mean I am.criticising Deepika or hating on her, just because she is a female.

Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Yet she’s been at the receiving end of criticism for something as simple and as easy to understand as this. 

Originally posted by: AllThatCritique

Not surprised at all. Some proverbial male egos in the interview itself represented what most male fandoms think. 

Sorry but what does disagreeing with Deepika's point to do with me being male.

I am sorry, if this wasn't addressed to me, but since you quoted a post quoting my post, I assume you are talking about me from the male fandom.

See firstly, I haven't read or viewed what Shoojit said, as for me the question remains about how Anupama said. She asked "women actor taking.more risk than men actor is correct generalisation or not". So for me that is going to be the point of the discussion, as I haven't heard or read what Shoojit had to say. 

Secondly I am just disagreeing with Deepika's point that women actors in general take more risks than men, by giving examples of top male stars. As she is forgetting that there are many male.actors who have played the taboo, risky roles, they just don't happen to be top stars, while similarly top female stars have hardly taken risky and taboo roles.

I get where is Deepika coming from, with women having to take roles because after a certain point they don't get much options, but that doesn't have anything to do with risk, rather necessity. Similarly men actors who aren't successful also do take roles which are risky out of necessity.

Successful Male or Female stars, when peak of their stardom hardly take risks, it is only when they are climbing or wanting to make a comeback, the risk thing comes up. Yes there have been exceptions, but they are exceptions, not the norm regardless of gender. So it's not me saying that, men take more risk either, as that isn't true either. Gender doesn't have any role in taking risky roles. 

Anyways my point is simple that I disagree with Deepika that "female actors take more risk than men in terms of roles". Yes she is correct that huge stars don't take much risk, but huge stars don't represnt all male actors. So I disagree with her for being factually wrong to the question asked by Anupama. It has nothing to do with male ego, me being a misogynist pig or Deepika being a female. It is just disagreement with her generalised statement.

GrumpyTheCat thumbnail

Originally posted by: RegressiveThug

I am sorry, if this wasn't addressed to me, but since you quoted a post quoting my post, I assume you are talking about me from the male fandom.

See firstly, I haven't read or viewed what Shoojit said, as for me the question remains about how Anupama said. She asked "women actor taking.more risk than men actor is correct generalisation or not". So for me that is going to be the point of the discussion, as I haven't heard or read what Shoojit had to say. 

Secondly I am just disagreeing with Deepika's point that women actors in general take more risks than men, by giving examples of top male stars. As she is forgetting that there are many male.actors who have played the taboo, risky roles, they just don't happen to be top stars, while similarly top female stars have hardly taken risky and taboo roles.

I get where is Deepika coming from, with women having to take roles because after a certain point they don't get much options, but that doesn't have anything to do with risk, rather necessity. Similarly men actors who aren't successful also do take roles which are risky out of necessity.

Successful Male or Female stars, when peak of their stardom hardly take risks, it is only when they are climbing or wanting to make a comeback, the risk thing comes up. Yes there have been exceptions, but they are exceptions, not the norm regardless of gender. So it's not me saying that, men take more risk either, as that isn't true either. Gender doesn't have any role in taking risky roles. 

Anyways my point is simple that I disagree with Deepika that "female actors take more risk than men in terms of roles". Yes she is correct that huge stars don't take much risk, but huge stars don't represnt all male actors. So I disagree with her for being factually wrong to the question asked by Anupama. It has nothing to do with male ego, me being a misogynist pig or Deepika being a female. It is just disagreement with her generalised statement.

Edit : I read it. 

Sorry but I didn’t read the whole thing except for the first line. 

I can’t speak for ATC but as far as I am concerned  it wasn’t about you. I was  referring to all the misogynistic crap about Deepika for her views regarding women having done it before across various social media platforms. 

Edited by GrumpyTheCat - 4 years ago
AllThatCritique thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: RegressiveThug

First of all, wasnt about you. Its about male fandoms bashing her everywhere.

Secondly,  the question was based on Shoojit saying women actors take more risks compared to the men. 

Now let me state the point concisely. 

Men and women actors dont have the level playing field. Superstars or otherwise. Men have far similar roles and far diverse roles and at the same time they can continue doing the same thing for years. Women actors come with an expiry date and they have to play mothers earlier than men playing fathers. Its also a thing of what kind of material is available and to choose from the limited range. So taking all into consideration, women taking roles going out of their comfort zone is a risk out of necessity and sustenance too.  Women actors have taken risks based on their lack of availability of work, lack of mainstream material to work with. Have the men done it as well? Sure. The question was not who did it and who didnt. They both it. But considering all the parameters of priviledge that the men had, women have risked much more than the men did. And hence they have taken more risks in the entire spectrum of movies (not only India,around the world) than the men and clearly not always not out creative fervour and mostly as a means to sustain. 

What risks has Mata taken? Or any mainstream BW actress? I don't know anything about the South industries so I'll leave them out.

They do female-centric lead roles in low budget movies when the mainstream offers dry up. Flops also don't affect actresses much because nobody is looking at them to give certain openings. Their risks are not that risky to begin with because the expectations are a lot lower from the start.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: regnow

What risks has Mata taken? Or any mainstream BW actress? I don't know anything about the South industries so I'll leave them out.

They do female-centric lead roles in low budget movies when the mainstream offers dry up. Flops also don't affect actresses much because nobody is looking at them to give certain openings. Their risks are not that risky to begin with because the expectations are a lot lower from the start.

Action Heroes take real risks. They may die everytime out there shooting. Those are legit risks 🥳

zara321 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

i don't see any problem with vijay and ranveer disagreeing with women taking more risks, both of them didn't say women have not taken any risks, they said they don't feel its a man or women issue, its a roundtable, so they are going to have different opinions, there were many points where they all disagreed with each other and they all learnt from each others perspectives

and ranveer only kissed deepika when she slapped his leg, there were many points in the interview where both rs and dp were whispering to each other while others were speaking, they are husband and wife and they are more frank with each other 

and it wasn't some highly professional interview, they cud laugh and joke, anupama was also laughing along with them, they were not in the presence of royalty so they had to stay quite and show no emotion lol 

Edited by zara321 - 4 years ago
Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: zara321

i don't see any problem with vijay and ranveer disagreeing with women taking more risks, both of them didn't say women have not taken any risks, they said they don't feel its a man or women issue, its a roundtable, so they are going to have different opinions,

But you forget this WOKE World we live in where rational goes bye bye 🤣