sherlockthor thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

except urmila, 

i think all are really great super heroines

dedh thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Journey95

For the most part today's ladies aren't better at all, apart from the likes of Tabu and Vidya Balan.  They still do mostly shit, play weak roles etc. not to mention the amount of star kids is increasing despite most of them showing zero talent. None of the post 2010 actresses hold a candle to the best 90's-2000's actresses

I agree with every single word of that post. Not everything can be explained by mindless nostalgia. Needless to add, we apparently live in woke times, as opposed to the reactionary 80's or 90's, yet where's the new Anjaam or Mrityu Dand or Prem Granth (to use just a few examples from Madhuri's filmography), with heroines who aren't bimbos and who actually smash patriarchy? If anything, the situation is getting even worse, with uncles such as Akshay romancing actresses who are 3 decades younger. Audiences have been dharmatized and dumbed-down, and the talk about the rule of content still sounds more like wishful thinking.    

sherlockthor thumbnail

more than acting, they had a strong screen presence

Nowadays, actors act well, but screen presence and that attractive star power is lacking both in men and women

its because of over exposure I feel. More mysterious an actor is, more is their star aura

Rekha_ji thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: dedh

If anything, the situation is getting even worse, with uncles such as Akshay romancing actresses who are 3 decades younger.

Did you know Jeetendra and Amitabh Bachchan are BOTH EXACTLY 21 YEARS OLDER THAN SRIDEVI??? They were both born in 1942, she was born in 1963. That's just 2 examples. Trust me, it was worse before in terms of age-gap. Girls used to become "heroines" aged 13 very frequently being paired with men over  35. It is an issue today, but it was WAY worse before.

dedh thumbnail

Originally posted by: Rekha_ji

Did you know Jeetendra and Amitabh Bachchan are BOTH EXACTLY 21 YEARS OLDER THAN SRIDEVI??? They were both born in 1942, she was born in 1963. That's just 2 examples. Trust me, it was worse before in terms of age-gap. Girls used to become "heroines" aged 13 very frequently being paired with men over  35. It is an issue today, but it was WAY worse before.

Of course I know, but how is 'two decades older' worse than '3 decades older'? And logically, one would expect less of this age disparity nonsense nowadays, but nah. That's why I question the idea of progress in BW. 

Rekha_ji thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: dedh

Of course I know, but how is 'two decades older' worse than '3 decades older'? And logically, one would expect less of this age disparity nonsense nowadays, but nah. That's why I question the idea of progress in BW. 

Just because you pulled "3 decades" out of the air does not make it true. Akshay Kumar was born in 1967. When has he ever worked with someone who was born after 1997?

I gave the example of Jeetendra-Amitabh-Sridevi because they are the most popular stars of a previous era and many people think they are a similar age.

Rekha and Sridevi and Jayaprada and Hema Malini worked with men who were 30+ years older than them at the beginning of their careers. And frequently.

You're talking about nowadays: there is a BIG difference between a 25yo actress romancing a 45yo today than a 15yo romancing a 35yo in the 70s.

Cookies.. thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: ranikaadi

There is barely anyone similar to them in the stardom. They were the QUEENS OF SILVER SCREEN. 

Hema Malini was a TERRIBLE actress. Other than Baghban ( where she was average at most), her acting was bad. She was just a pretty face. I'm not missing her for sure.

Edited by Cookies.. - 4 years ago
Cookies.. thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Cool_N_Cold

Wat a insult to hema, sri, madhuri lol, who is urmila lol , urmila didn't come in their league of stardom

Urmila was 10 times a better actress than Hema Malini. Hema Malini had nothing but looks. Everything from her voice to her dialogue delivery were all terrible.

Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Cookies..

Urmila was 10 times a better actress than Hema Malini. Hema Malini had nothing but looks. Everything from her voice to her dialogue delivery were all terrible.

thr poster you quoted was talking about stardom, as terrible was Hema, she was a very huge star during her peak.

dedh thumbnail

Originally posted by: Rekha_ji

Just because you pulled "3 decades" out of the air does not make it true. Akshay Kumar was born in 1967. When has he ever worked with someone who was born after 1997?

I gave the example of Jeetendra-Amitabh-Sridevi because they are the most popular stars of a previous era and many people think they are a similar age.

Rekha and Sridevi and Jayaprada and Hema Malini worked with men who were 30+ years older than them at the beginning of their careers. And frequently.

You're talking about nowadays: there is a BIG difference between a 25yo actress romancing a 45yo today than a 15yo romancing a 35yo in the 70s.

Check the date of birth of Akshay's most recently announced co-star (in a biopic in which this uncle will play a twenty-something, no less) and quit that smug tone. It's obnoxious. And no, there's no watershed change as regards the age disparity and... other disparities. As to the employment of minors, I imagine it's more of a labour code issue in general, not the result of BW becoming progressive - maybe other forum members could shed light on that. The only truly noticeable change, it seems, is the growing percentage of women in film crews. Now we need more female scriptwriters, directors, producers. It's happening already, but not fast enough.

Edited by dedh - 4 years ago