Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shruzzy thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Here no one is talking about charity! !  And for god sake we all know that no one is doing anything free and everyone is earning but the fact is that even regional channel and channels like channel v are also earning!  They aren't even count in trp system but doesn't mean that they are doing a loss in business also channel like sony tv shows are hardly having trp above 1 for their shows and as i said if i subscribe star on tata sky than tatasky and star have definite amount predecided in their contracts which tatasky will pay no way what we watch so in short channel is not making loss

Now coming to PH than channel and ph  have a predetermined contract that how much they will run the show and if trp is not coming than u must wrap up the show in within a barrinv period 

Now the thing is any show should atleast get 100 episodes of their original plotline and equal proportion so that new concepts are introduced because anything new takes time to get their own work done eg if sony would have thought about trp as only factor maya would have never been introduced to us! 

All on all one has to accept that trp should be a factor but not the only judgement to run a show because acting is skill and talent which has to be utilised and not to be used! 

With that an untimily plugging of a show takes away the job of any people not only cast or actor but crew spot and many other who are associated! ! 

Before saying that trp gives money and no trp means charity understand the business! ! !  

mystique_4008 thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

I feel the entire Indian tv industry needs a revamp. It’s sad to see tv shows becoming more regressive when there used to be quality shows before Ekta Kapoor came into existence. The TRP system is not an accurate way to measure the viewership of any show. That itself has to get scrapped off. Tv serials should be finite coz let’s face it after a point, the story just drags on and loses its charm. 

Channels must be willing to give new concepts a chance to thrive otherwise what’s the point in launching something if they can’t be bothered to make it work. Of course TV is not a charity but people deserve good content. Not dumbed down entertainment. 

IshRaian thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: InCenDia

The TRP system itself is backdated.. Nowadays a certain group of viewers (let's say 14 - 40 age grp) watches their fav show online mostly whenever they gets time coz of their busy schedule studies n jobs n family n children.. Only senior viewers or housewives watches on TV n they have a certain tastes.. 

2 of my fav show are MJHT n Sadda Haq.. I've always watched MJHT on TV coz it used to air at 9 pm n I was in school back then so 9 pm was free time for me.. But SH used to air on 6:30 pm n I had a job then n most of the days I used to reach home by 7:30 - 8 pm n had to watch it online.. 

And I've seen my Jethima (Taiji) used to watch Saath Nibhana Sathiya n Sasural Simar Ka on TV regularly.. 2 shows which were absolutely ridiculous 🙄 but she loved them n she never missed them.. 

And this online views will keep growing so they must update this TRP process coz not every viewers are TRP viewer.. 

Looks like we have an expert from the TV industry. I would love to see your research to prove your claim that BARC is wrong. Go ahead and prove the entire TV industry wrong. Until then, the TV industry will continue to follow BARC as the norm. 

No doubt, online penetration in India is many times better than it was 10 years ago. But then if 10 people watch On Hotstar, then 10000 people watch on TV. 

Online viewership is very small compared to TV viewership. There are still a huge section of the population who watch shows on TV. So no. Online viewership does not affect TV viewership much. 

On a side note, the so called “Online TRPs” being circulated is bogus. BARC’s Ekam which is meant for online viewership is still work under progress. There is no organisation which analyses online viewership data for now. Wonder from where these people cook up these numbers. 

For arguments’ sake, let’s assume that BARC is not complete in its measurement. Then it is not just the poorly performing shows that are being affected. Even the topper shows might be affected. Who knows?! Maybe an even larger section of people watch the topper shows which is not covered under BARC. 

This is where we give the benefit of doubt to BARC. The entire TV industry has accepted BARC as the norm. 

So unless you have a solid research to prove that BARC data is misleading, please go do something else with your life. 

Peace out. 

IshRaian thumbnail

Originally posted by: shruzzy

Here no one is talking about charity! !  And for god sake we all know that no one is doing anything free and everyone is earning but the fact is that even regional channel and channels like channel v are also earning!  They aren't even count in trp system but doesn't mean that they are doing a loss in business also channel like sony tv shows are hardly having trp above 1 for their shows and as i said if i subscribe star on tata sky than tatasky and star have definite amount predecided in their contracts which tatasky will pay no way what we watch so in short channel is not making loss

Now coming to PH than channel and ph  have a predetermined contract that how much they will run the show and if trp is not coming than u must wrap up the show in within a barrinv period 

Now the thing is any show should atleast get 100 episodes of their original plotline and equal proportion so that new concepts are introduced because anything new takes time to get their own work done eg if sony would have thought about trp as only factor maya would have never been introduced to us! 

All on all one has to accept that trp should be a factor but not the only judgement to run a show because acting is skill and talent which has to be utilised and not to be used! 

With that an untimily plugging of a show takes away the job of any people not only cast or actor but crew spot and many other who are associated! ! 

Before saying that trp gives money and no trp means charity understand the business! ! !  

Who told you that?! 😆

All channels get TRP data from BARC. It is just that all these data are not made available to piblic. Don’t make wrong statements please. 

About SET, none of the channel’s daily fictions get good TRPs compared to StarPlus. So if StarPlus expects a TRP of 1.5 at a time slot, Sony might be happy with just 0.5. This is because StarPlus have a much bigger audience than Sony as a whole. They know their business better than you and me. So yeah, Sony is also not here to entertain people. Even SET works for profits. Only point is SET tries to bring different kind of shows unlike other channels. But still if the show gets 0.3ish ratings, even Sony axes the show.

About a show getting atleast 100 episodes, I concur with you on this. Every channel must give some time for the show to grow on the audience. It is not fair to expect it to perform from day 1. Earlier StarPlus used to give at least 6 months time. Now it axes shows in 3-4 months itself which is atrocious. 

About Maya, people need to understand that TV audience also exist apart from the small portion found on social media. Social media might make you believe that Maya is a block buster show. But in reality it is not compared to iconic shows like Kyunki, YRKKH, SNS, DABH and YHM. 

Yes, Maya was a block buster for Sony without doubt. Maybe it was a great show. But then compared to other channels, the TRP of that show never crossed a certain maximum. So Maya cannot be called an iconic show by any standards. 

Shows are generally termed iconic in the TV industry if it funds for many years with high ratings. (This is how TV works. Don’t blame me)

About how axing a show makes people lose their jobs, well the whole point is shows get axed because PH is not getting profit and in turn cannot pay the cast and crew. So the crew are better off working on another show than being under payed by working on a flop show. You cannot run a business based on misplaced sympathy. Be practical. 

If TV industry is itself only a business, I don’t see what else should be taken into consideration other than TRP. Only TRP s give them advertisements. Not some ratings Oren reviews on some random websites. 

IshRaian thumbnail

Originally posted by: Cherryfairy

I feel the entire Indian tv industry needs a revamp. It’s sad to see tv shows becoming more regressive when there used to be quality shows before Ekta Kapoor came into existence. The TRP system is not an accurate way to measure the viewership of any show. That itself has to get scrapped off. Tv serials should be finite coz let’s face it after a point, the story just drags on and loses its charm. 

Channels must be willing to give new concepts a chance to thrive otherwise what’s the point in launching something if they can’t be bothered to make it work. Of course TV is not a charity but people deserve good content. Not dumbed down entertainment. 

What can you and me do if people actually want to watch “dumbed down entertainment”?! We can’t judge the choice of others. This is a world of the majority, If the majority like to watch such stuff, then that is what will be shown. 

There is no point trashing shows like Naagin and Nazar. A lot of people watch these shows and that is what keeps these shows running. As I said, shows are run for profits which these shows are giving. 

Saying BARC is inaccurate is a baseless claim. Please come up with some facts to substantiate the same based on a credible research conducted by you (not on some xyz website, mind you) 

krithi1990 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2

Edited by krithi1990 - 4 years ago
krithi1990 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: krithi1990

https://m.timesofindia.com/What-is-TRP-and-how-it-is-calculated/articleshow/11816.cms

According to the above article the trp is calculated by attaching a device to the TV sets in a few thousand viewers houses for judging purpose. Now my doubts are, 

1. Who is attaching this device and how do they select the viewers.?. 

2. Is it attached internally or externally in the TV sets.

3.Do the viewers very well know about the attachment of the device in their TV.

4. What are the places  which the viewers houses have been selected. Is it throughout India or any particular states only.?.

5. How can they decide that the selected house members have the time to watch the whole serials in a day.

We can defend or offend the trp system if we know very well about the full details of the calculation. Otherwise no use to write anything related to this subject as like we are fully aware of it.

According to me the tastes are differed from person to person. How can we judge a show that is the best or worst on the basis of few thousands viewers. 

In my view , the trp system is a useless one.

shruzzy thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Neither i m degrading BARC nor i m saying trp system should be ebolished what i m trying to say is that a show cannot only be judged upon trp and neither should be treated only on the basis of trp 

Trp can be one of the barometer to judge a show but not only judgemental factor 

As pointed about online and trp viewer there is always a set of people in our home itself when we watch a series there lots of negotiationss but not pondering upon them and  as an audience be it minority but should also be heard and different Content should be provided its like variety of food should be provided in same dish and let the person eat what they want and if a particular 

And as an actor every actor should get different kind of roles!  Stuck into one kind of character hinders their acting skills but its their Choice but even to choice they should get choice and that is where itv lacks "SCOPE" . . . They dont have much scope its not what i m saying most of the actors says and if they get a chance they want to explore. . . And having a great reach i think itv should provide. . ..our itv actors work of 12hours and its their duty to make feel the character acceptable in people's mind but yet they dont have a choice to voice out their own thoughts on same. . . That is why most of the actors do series but do not watch the same!  Isn't it disheartening. 

So in my opinion every channel should atleast produce 1 series that is different character /concept driven and that too at night because most of the Indian are busy during 7-8 as they would have returned from office/tutions cooking  time or prayer time etc. . So that auidence can properly get involved and introduced to new content. . 

And bringing at least 1 such show wont make the whole channel loss-making nor whole ph would be at loss as though it would get less profit compared to others 

But in this way all set of auidences would be satisfied. . . 

mystique_4008 thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: IshRaian

What can you and me do if people actually want to watch “dumbed down entertainment”?! We can’t judge the choice of others. This is a world of the majority, If the majority like to watch such stuff, then that is what will be shown. 

There is no point trashing shows like Naagin and Nazar. A lot of people watch these shows and that is what keeps these shows running. As I said, shows are run for profits which these shows are giving. 

Saying BARC is inaccurate is a baseless claim. Please come up with some facts to substantiate the same based on a credible research conducted by you (not on some xyz website, mind you) 

I have looked up how TRP gets calculated and no they are not from any xyz websites. Even that Salil sand explained how the ratings get measured. 

IshRaian thumbnail

Originally posted by: shruzzy

Neither i m degrading BARC nor i m saying trp system should be ebolished what i m trying to say is that a show cannot only be judged upon trp and neither should be treated only on the basis of trp 

Trp can be one of the barometer to judge a show but not only judgemental factor 

As pointed about online and trp viewer there is always a set of people in our home itself when we watch a series there lots of negotiationss but not pondering upon them and  as an audience be it minority but should also be heard and different Content should be provided its like variety of food should be provided in same dish and let the person eat what they want and if a particular 

And as an actor every actor should get different kind of roles!  Stuck into one kind of character hinders their acting skills but its their Choice but even to choice they should get choice and that is where itv lacks "SCOPE" . . . They dont have much scope its not what i m saying most of the actors says and if they get a chance they want to explore. . . And having a great reach i think itv should provide. . ..our itv actors work of 12hours and its their duty to make feel the character acceptable in people's mind but yet they dont have a choice to voice out their own thoughts on same. . . That is why most of the actors do series but do not watch the same!  Isn't it disheartening. 

So in my opinion every channel should atleast produce 1 series that is different character /concept driven and that too at night because most of the Indian are busy during 7-8 as they would have returned from office/tutions cooking  time or prayer time etc. . So that auidence can properly get involved and introduced to new content. . 

And bringing at least 1 such show wont make the whole channel loss-making nor whole ph would be at loss as though it would get less profit compared to others 

But in this way all set of auidences would be satisfied. . . 

I totally get your need for a good show on TV. But you asking for PH to run a show despite it running in losses just for the sake of “giving meaningful content” is quixotic. 

PH and channels are just for business here and not to educate masses. Just because they are getting profits from other shows, doesn’t mean they’d waste their money by running flop shows. No established PH will do that.

And no one is forcing the actor to continue acting in long running shows. Actors are also here for the money. They are not doing this just because it is their passion. So if they feel the money is less important compared to experimenting, they can quit the show after a few years. Many actors have done that before. We can’t judge a actor based on his/her decision to continue in long running shows and also for quitting it. It is their life and they should make that choice. Not you and me.