Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TheRowdiest thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 4 years ago

World is progressing aur bhakton ko Sati pratha wapas chahiye . BJP and bhakts will take India Down to any level to win the elections 

NathuPyare thumbnail

Originally posted by: simim

Sati was Shivas wife. She committed Sati. I don’t know how ppl say it’s not part of Hinduism and came with invaders.

God!!!

And it was prevalent everywhere in pockets. But was majorly in Bengal/Bihar/ Orissa.

Just like every bad thing with Hinduism some men pushed and propagated it so much that it became compulsory and that became an issue and that’s what the reformers fought against.

Everything is blamed on some invaders. It’s beyond ridiculous 

Sati was her name and she didnt commit sati; she committed atmadaah (self immolation) and definitely NOT because her husband Shiva was dead? Kuch bhi 😳

lol i thought this woman retired or something...

but she has been active here .. high on verbal diarrhea... aise logon ka kuch nahi ho sakta

Charaiveti thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

I'll not say about whole India because sati is not discussed much in our history books. It's said Akbar tried to ban it but couldn't implement it,and Aurangzeb again made it completely legal.i do not know how true it is but that's what history books say so attack publishers if u disagree not me

But in bengal, I can say,sati,was called satidaho. Wonen were forced to burn on husband's pyre. Mind you that time bramhin's n others toodid polygamy to the point that they'd keep a copy with list of wife names. N I'm not prejudiced or anything I am a bengali bramhin myself,my ancestors in 18 the century must've done this stuff themselves. Anyways, after this 80 year old guy dies , all his wives from 70 to 7 were forced to burn in pyre. Rammohan Roy worked damn hard against the society to save the women. People boycotted him,his own father kicked him out of his house. His main supporters were Rani Rasmoni, the woman who built dakhineshwar temple n her husband raja ramcuandra,who was an educated man . Rammohan used his association with British n made Lord Bentick pass a law banning sati. Many took it as a deliberate attack on their culture,very few supported him that time. Rammohan did a lot for sheltering orphan kids too. He tried to  ban child marriage too but couldn't.  Also he build many schools.

We Bengalis don't worship our icons, Vidyasagar has been criticised for doing child marriage of his own son or not educating his wife I think,I kinda forgot,keshabchandra has been criticised for marrying his own daughter sunitidevi off to kochbihar royal family when she was a kid while he was in bramho samaj propagating for child marriage abolition. Bramho samaj broke into two parts for this as many felt he was a hypocrite. Tagore family is criticised for being misogynistic at Times. There's been lots of films n books depicting rabindranath's relationship with his sister in law. But spewing nonsense about them surely hurts. Specially if it comes from an unresearched source.

Edited by Charaiveti - 4 years ago
Girl_InMedicine thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Yeah Sati Partha was evil and Ram Mohan Roy was a reformer but some of the things that Raja Ram Mohan Roy said were deplorable. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/ARanganathan72/status/1133272865246068739

And before Ram Mohan Roy, also a few Hindu kingdoms banned Sati. So it’s not something which is integral to Hinduism, but i also agree that we shouldn’t be blaming invaders for everything.. Let’s just agree it was practised by some Hindus

And no Bhakt wants to bring back Sati, like seriously!! Especially this person called TheRowdiest matlab almost all his comments are about bhakts/ BJP/ Hindu terrorists 😆 Don’t know which Bhakt asked to bring Sati back..

astha36 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Charaiveti

I'll not say about whole India because sati is not discussed much in our history books. It's said Akbar tried to ban it but couldn't implement it,and Aurangzeb again made it completely legal.i do not know how true it is but that's what history books say so attack publishers if u disagree not me

But in bengal, I can say,sati,was called satidaho. Wonen were forced to burn on husband's pyre. Mind you that time bramhin's n others toodid polygamy to the point that they'd keep a copy with list of wife names. N I'm not prejudiced or anything I am a bengali bramhin myself,my ancestors in 18 the century must've done this stuff themselves. Anyways, after this 80 year old guy dies , all his wives from 70 to 7 were forced to burn in pyre. Rammohan Roy worked damn hard against the society to save the women. People boycotted him,his own father kicked him out of his house. His main supporters were Rani Rasmoni, the woman who built dakhineshwar temple n her husband raja ramcuandra,who was an educated man . Rammohan used his association with British n made Lord Bentick pass a law banning sati. Many took it as a deliberate attack on their culture,very few supported him that time. Rammohan did a lot for sheltering orphan kids too. He tried to  ban child marriage too but couldn't.  Also he build many schools.

We Bengalis don't worship our icons, Vidyasagar has been criticised for doing child marriage of his own son or not educating his wife I think,I kinda forgot,keshabchandra has been criticised for marrying his own daughter sunitidevi off to kochbihar royal family when she was a kid while he was in bramho samaj propagating for child marriage abolition. Bramho samaj broke into two parts for this as many felt he was a hypocrite. Tagore family is criticised for being misogynistic at Times. There's been lots of films n books depicting rabindranath's relationship with his sister in law. But spewing nonsense about them surely hurts. Specially if it comes from an unresearched source.

As Chairaveti says, Sati was a social evil, perhaps not in the whole of India but definitely in a few parts. Since hinduism is not a uniform religion, if people in some region who are Hindu take part in an evil ritual, it will be attributed to hinduism. So, that's that. 

Rammohan Roy may have been in association with British, but for that time, it wasn't wrong. I think people make it all black and white about the British but it wasn't like that. Ab BJP ki govt ko 100 saal baad log villains bolenge, toh Jo abhi unke saath association mein achhe kaam kar rahe Hain wo galat thode na ho jayenge? Jo govt hai, usi se kaam chalana padta hai na. Credit should be given where due. Propaganda should be avoided as much as possible. Seedhi baat.

Charaiveti thumbnail

Originally posted by: Girl_InMedicine

Yeah Sati Partha was evil and Ram Mohan Roy was a reformer but some of the things that Raja Ram Mohan Roy said were deplorable. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/ARanganathan72/status/1133272865246068739

And before Ram Mohan Roy, also a few Hindu kingdoms banned Sati. So it’s not something which is integral to Hinduism, but i also agree that we shouldn’t be blaming invaders for everything.. Let’s just agree it was practised by some Hindus

And no Bhakt wants to bring back Sati, like seriously!! Especially this person called TheRowdiest matlab almost all his comments are about bhakts/ BJP/ Hindu terrorists 😆 Don’t know which Bhakt asked to bring Sati back..

Yes his contempt towards Hinduism is pretty well known, it was a religion he didn't feel was right specially idol worship. I don't think I will call anyone not liking a religions ideologies  being a bad person though, being an atheist I find every religion problematic in some aspects. And you have to understand Bengal in that era was very conservative, thus the boom of western education was actually helpful. Schools he  helped built like Scottish church or presidency college r still the top educational institutions of Kolkata.  Rammohan who saw practices like sati n child marriage in his religion may have started despising it, specially his father was a very extremist guy. I don't think he was Christianity admirer though cz he built his own religion, and there are still practicingbramhos in Kolkata. They're kind of Hindus only but without idol worship.

I don't support everything he says though. A lot of initial stage reformers n congressmen were all for development of India but not for Independence. I myself was flabbergasted after knowing bapgangadhar tilak's view about women rights. Doesn't remove all the good he did though. Thus completely reducing the man to a chamcha n blaming everything on Invaders does no good. Not one religion is perfect but those who can evolve n  self criticise n progress end up being the most timelessn n lovable ones.

Also Brits we're governing that time,a lot of people actually took advantage of the western education that was more developed that time and tried to assimilate into Indian society. And it worked. Reading about French revolution worked, reading about science n the political climate in the rest of the world worked . It fueled a sense of unity n protest. There were few British men who actually had Noble intentions like derozio or David hare,they built school after schools , association like young bengal. It sparked something.  It's easy to criticise People one era later, like I've seen Americans criticise sc Bose for taking German help,but they don't understand at that time sc Bose did all he could to care for his people, the Brits did a lot of atrocities here n world turned a blind eye. You can't blame him for thinking enemy's enemy,my Friend. Also at that time, the Indian nationalism didn't come yet, there was statewise unity most, Rammohan wasabe gali working for a Maharashtrian king. I think it was the king of satara. His pension was being cancelled and Rammohan wrote a atriculate letter to Brits  ensuring his king gets his pension. The whole feeling of kinship across India wasn't there yet. Enfield riffle fueled the kiship hugely I think.

Charaiveti thumbnail

Originally posted by: astha36

As Chairaveti says, Sati was a social evil, perhaps not in the whole of India but definitely in a few parts. Since hinduism is not a uniform religion, if people in some region who are Hindu take part in an evil ritual, it will be attributed to hinduism. So, that's that. 

Rammohan Roy may have been in association with British, but for that time, it wasn't wrong. I think people make it all black and white about the British but it wasn't like that. Ab BJP ki govt ko 100 saal baad log villains bolenge, toh Jo abhi unke saath association mein achhe kaam kar rahe Hain wo galat thode na ho jayenge? Jo govt hai, usi se kaam chalana padta hai na. Credit should be given where due. Propaganda should be avoided as much as possible. Seedhi baat.

exactly. I don't know about the other states sati was really rampant in bengal Bengal actually was really extreme n conservative religion wise at one point which is unbelievable now cz most Bengalis r moderate or agnoistic. But in those times, People were ughhhh basically. Being a woman in that society was suffocating. Read about women like Ramabai,Anandibai, Kadambini Ganguly, sarala Devi choudhurani etc etc. Such couragous women icons. I think that's why western education spread so easily here cz people were fed up. Also it being the capital n all that time. Kolkata Mumbai Chennai , education boom happened. 

Brits we're evil I totally agree, whatever benefits happened happened propelled by Indian reformers backed by few good Brits men. But as a whole they came here to exploit the country n were extremely racist. And Bengalis knew that for most part honestly,you can't ignore the part Bengal played in freedom fight. 

We don't ignore the part that few Bengalis read a bit of English n though they're above everything and did ji huzoori. They're mocked as the babu class , who had midparting hair with oil dripping,wearing dhoti , would waste money of pigeon fight etc. Everyone mocked them, rabindranath basically called them spineless bootlicking blots on humanity 😂😂 Noone liked them

Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: ibnbattuta

So no replies huh. How come all the Holier than Thou forum Bengali liberals are silent now?

They're always the first ones to raise questions on Hinduism. There are no instances of sati in the puranas or any of the epics. Few incidents which are there are poison injections. Jauhar was practise of course but no sati except in bengal where Kulin meat and beef eating brahmins were ruling. They had converted to Islam for personal benefits during Mughal rule and then supposedly converted back during Company rule albeit never giving up the meat etc and striking at the roots of Hinduism. 

They became your Banddopadhyayas...the Upadhis they're given...yes all the Bannerjees, Chatterjess and Mukherjees...who then lorded over all the other Bengalis as ekdum awwal No Bengali Brahmins. See they ate meat and beef on odd days and niramish, that means no onion, no garlic and even no masur dal on even days. So these people started these practises to usurp properties etc and Hinduism gets the blame.

No sireee, its not Hinduism its a Bengali problem. If anyone who claims to be a Hindu and then practises wrong things it does not mean Hinduism has to answer. Khot aap mein hain. Clean up your own houses before raising fingers at others as is their wont...the modern sanctimonious Bengali liberal apparent Hindu.

Absolutely! From Satyavati to Uttara, and even the of widows of thousands of slain warriors, not a single woman sat on the funeral pyre to commit Sati. There's just one incident of self-immolation in the whole epic. Madri committed Sati after upon being consumed by extreme guilt and sorrow after Pandu's death. 

Sati was a social evil, not a part of Hinduism. It's not that difficult to differentiate between the two. 

Edited by Wistfulness - 4 years ago
Charaiveti thumbnail

Originally posted by: Wistfulness

Absolutely! From Satyavati to Uttara, and even the of widows of thousands of slain warriors, not a single woman sat on the funeral pyre to commit Sati. There's just one incident of self-immolation in the whole epic. Madri committed Sati after upon being consumed by extreme guilt and sorrow after Pandu's death. 

Sati was a social evil, not a part of Hinduism. It's not that difficult to differentiate between the two. 

I do think it was not in any of the ancient scriptures. Mind my ignorance as an atheist I am not very well read about this but I don't think Geeta or manusmriti had sati in them? Though I do have other problems with manusmriti as a woman, sati isn't there right? 

But I do think religion gets interpreted n evolves, sometimes for good sometimes for bad. Stuff keeps getting added. An example, in Christian wedding , there's the removing garter ceremony that's very objectifying the woman n voyeuristic to many. But people still do due to it being a traditin. But in reality it was not even a tradition,but in midieval age people would often follow the bride groom to their room to see them consummate cz people were meddling,thus the groom started showing the garter as a proof of we did it to avoid those people coming in.

Thus traditions get added to culture, which might not trace back to totally ancient scriptures. But it was something the hindus did, maybe only in the eastern region if u say so I won't argue cz I don't know much about other regions history with sati. Also when stopped,the backlash from Hindu Bengalis was immense. Thus it is connected to Hinduism,cz it's such a vast religion, always evolving, always different at every part of India.