Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Javeria3991 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 5 years ago
Welcome back. 
I love the setting of the story and the characters. 
Looking forward to read it. 
ranogill thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Awesome start and welcome back
Greyasr thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Amazing!!! Please PM me the updates 
radhika007 thumbnail
awesome please update soon
Ameyadiaz thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Interesting concept, can't wait for the story to unfold further
indrani21dec thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Loved the characters sketch,
Reading arshi story is always a bliss for me, and this is really looking different, with his father still alive, Akash and Khushi being friends, and Khushi being close with Mallik family,
It would definitely be worth reading

Hey dear I wanted to know do you have any index of your previous stories
Thank you 
mayabhi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Nice start. Looking forward to reading more..
Pdrover thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Interesting story, would love to read more
Pearl_Oyster thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 7

Chapter 1

Khushi Kumari Gupta looked at the barbed wire fence in front of her. Then she looked on her left. The fence continued as far as she could see. Same on her right. But that did not dampen her spirits. She already knew the orchard was well-fenced. She had heard as much. She just needed to find a way in. If there could be a small opening she could easily smuggle in for she was thin and small for her age.

After poking around for ten minutes, she discovered an opening wide enough for her to get past without getting too many scratches. Her eyes shone with excitement as she easily slipped past the damaged wires.

In front of her stood a whole orchard of mangoes. Trees everywhere! Delicious delights hanging from their branches as the summer was in its full bloom.

No. She wasn't a thief. This is just taking a little from someone who clearly has more than they can eat. Or sell.

Besides, it was her birthday. She was turning eleven today. That did call for a celebration. And having some of these juicy, so much sought after mangoes from 'Aamra Kunj' was exactly what she needed for her birthday to make it super special.

And it wasn't like she had decided to do this on a whim. She had wanted mangoes from this orchard for a year now.

'Aamra Kunj' - the huge and exclusive mango orchard behind Sheesh Mahal that boasted of selected varieties of mangoes which were hard to come by. Her father had promised her for a year now that he will bring her the mangoes but he kept forgetting every single day.

So, today Khushi had decided to take the matter in her own hands. She'll enjoy some of these mangoes which are visibly enough for the entire city and then she can take some home with her.

She had heard some of her friends talk how the owner of the Mahal and the orchards was a small, old man who could not chase little kids. That had only boosted her decision to sneak into the orchards but now that she had gotten in and after trying to pluck some mangoes she realised she was way too short in height to reach those branches that hung over her head.

After that she offered herself the consolation prize of the mangoes that she could pick from the grassy floor of the orchard and enjoyed them.

She kept venturing ahead and after a considerable amount of time had passed she decided to walk back to home only to realize she could not remember the way.

The orchard had trees growing in rows and columns in this part of the orchard while she remembered when she had gotten in, the trees grew naturally with no patterns.

Had she walked in too far? This side of the orchard looked too well maintained and cared for. What if someone catches her? What if someone takes her to her father?

All kinds of fears rose in her small head and she felt tears forming at the back of her eyes.

A bad idea. Very bad idea, it was to come here.

She could have waited a few more days for her father to get her these mangoes. She looked at her hands and her dress that had stained from the mango juice dripping on it.

Amma will be furious. She thought. That only helped in shedding the tears she was trying to hold. After a minute or two of sniffling she wiped the remaining tear drops that escaped her eyes and tried to focus. She could find her way back, she told herself and willed her legs to keep moving in whichever direction she thought she had come from.

She had only walked for five minutes when she noticed a large clearing ahead.

She probably had reached the end of the orchards and judging by the group of boys playing cricket in the clearing ahead, it wasn't the end she had been hoping to find.

Most of them were her age and too engrossed in the game to notice her. She decided to leave unnoticed and quickly turned on her heels. She didn't want any more trouble than she was already in.

As she turned her back to leave, a ball hit her hard in the back. She lost her balance and tripped, falling face forward into the ground that was now more dust than grass.

Unheeding the pain that was shooting in her back, she quickly got to her feet and without waiting for another second, ran.

She was still running when she heard a boy shouting, running after her. Maybe she could outrun him, she was fast. She told herself and ran faster as if ghosts were on her tail.

But the boy was quicker as he caught up to her and came to stand right in front her.

"Stop running" He panted and she stopped.

The boy looked about the same age as her but was a little taller and well built in comparison to her thin frame. His expensive clothes only made him look better and superior. She blinked twice and then realised her stained clothes were now laden with dust too.

"I am sorry. I got lost in the orchards and I was trying to find a way out" She quickly started before he could start shouting at her or maybe call the caretaker of the orchards or something.

The boy studied her clothes and frowned.

"You have gotten all dirty. The stains and...the dust. I am so sorry. I was trying to score a boundary but the ball hit you. I didn't mean to hit you" He said in a slow voice as though he didn't even hear her apology.

"It is okay" She replied tentatively thinking if she should run again.

"My name is Akash" He said with a grin and extended his hand towards her. Khushi looked at his outstretched hand for a second before she joined her hands in Namaste.

"Hamara naam Khushi hai" [My name is Khushi]

He laughed.

"You're supposed to shake hands when someone offers their hand. Not greet them with a Namaste. Didn't your father tell you that?" He asked with a small chuckle and she was offended.

"I have to go" She said with a bite in her tone.

"But you said you were lost" He said.

"Yes...But... I'll find my way out. My father HAS told me not to talk to strangers" She told him with her chin in the air.

Take that Mr. Handshake.

"I am not a stranger, okay? You are a stranger. These are my orchards" The boy too stated as a matter of fact.

"You're lying. These are Birendra Singh Malik's orchards" She answered with her hands on her hips and winced.

It was now she noticed that she had scraped her elbow and blood had welled up where the skin had broken.

"I am.." The boy too noticed her wound and instantly looked sorry.

"That looks bad. Come with me. I'll ask Doctor Uncle to put some medicine on that" He offered politely but Khushi shook her head.

"Why not? The house is just a small distance from here. Come along" He said again but Khushi shook her head again, worry marring her face.

How would she explain the dirty clothes and the wound to her father? Plus she was already so late. She should have been on her way back to home by now. As she thought that tears pricked her eyes again.

"Hey, don't cry. It'll be alright. Come with me" The boy held her wrist and tugged to get her moving but she planted her foot firmly to the ground. She had to get home.

"What's wrong? Khushi, was it? Is it hurting? Why don't you come with me?" The boy asked now very worried and concerned.

"Let me go. I have to go home" Khushi sniffed.

"No. Come with me to the doctor uncle first and then you can go. You need a bandage" He insisted and tugged at her hand again. He looked really apologetic and concerned but Khushi was too distressed to get home.

"No" She almost shouted at his face and then bit his hand.

He winced and let go. Before Khushi could make a run again she heard a deep rumbling voice booming over her head and froze.

"What is going on here?" The man who had asked the question was well built in a highly intimidating way and seemed to be in his late thirties. His clothes were the finest Khushi had ever seen with a silk Kurta and pajama that was intricately embellished. But despite all the opulence he reeked of there was kindness in his eyes that Khushi failed to notice as she stood cowering in fear.

The boy who had introduced himself as Akash quickly eased his face but was still rubbing the spot where she had bit him. He inched closer to the man and began speaking while Khushi's eyes further went wide as the boy addressed the man as his father.

"She snuck into the orchards, Baba. And the ball hit her by mistake. It was by mistake, I swear, and she fell and got hurt. I was only trying to take her to Doctor Uncle but she bit me" Akash explained and Khushi realised she was in serious trouble. She looked at the boy who had introduced himself as Akash and felt really bad for biting him. The spot had turned red. Her face became further distressed. Today was a day of really bad choices. She never should have come here. She never should have bitten the boy who was simply trying to help her.

In the meanwhile, Birendra Singh Malik turned to look at Khushi and keenly observed the emotions flitting across her face. She looked panicked, hurt and guilty.

"Is that what actually happened, beta? Are you hurt somewhere else?" He asked gently as he noticed the elbow and the cut.

Khushi first nodded a yes and then shook her head in no.

"Her name is Khushi" Akash provided.

"What a beautiful name! Where do you live, beta? What's your father's name? Did you come here for the mangoes?" He asked and Khushi sniffled again. Poor girl!

"Okay. Answer that later. First we need to get you cleaned up" Birendra Singh Malik said as he offered her a hand and Khushi just looked at the outstretched hand.

"Don't worry. It's alright" He said affectionately and with a smile.

"She wants to go home" Akash said again.

"We'll get her home" He replied and Khushi finally placed her hand in his, wiping tears and snot from her other hand.

"By the way, my name is Birendra Singh Malik" He said as they neared the Mahal and Khushi just blinked. Once. Twice. She looked surprised.

"You are not old" She dared say as they walked towards the same clearing at the end of the orchards she had run from. There were no more boys in sight now.

He laughed and Khushi looked up at his face which was lit with amusement.

"Am I supposed to be old?" He asked and Khushi started narrating how one of her friends at school had told her he was old and bald.

"Well, I am sorry I disappointed you then" The man replied and Akash snickered from behind. Khushi scowled at him and quickly said that she liked how he looked.

They had now crossed the clearing and Khushi could see a huge iron wrought gate in sight which was painted white. The gate connected the back of the Mahal to the orchards and as they reached it two watchmen opened them.

Khushi's eyes grew saucer sized as she took in the magnificence and beauty of the Mahal. It stood four storeys tall and looked ancient. The entire Mahal was painted in shades of white and golden from outside and Khushi could hear water running somewhere close by. The Gomti river, she recalled.

"Will we go in?" She asked eagerly, forgetting about her elbow and the pain.

"Of course we will. That is where doctor uncle is" Akash said and ran forward.

"Careful, Akash" Birendra Singh Malik called out but Akash was already ahead of them.

"This Mahal is so big" She wondered aloud as they stepped into a large hall like room.

"How many people live here, Birendra Singh Malik Ji?" Khushi asked as she looked around.

She did not notice the anguish that crossed his face.

"My younger son Akash and I. Our family doctor. My manager. And an army of helpers" He answered after a slow pause.

Khushi simply nodded as she walked towards a large vase full of roses. She leaned closer and smelled them.

"Now now, don't touch them. They have thorns" Birendra Malik said when Khushi touched the flowers and she obeyed, quickly retracting her fingers from them, looking sheepish.

"Now we should get that elbow looked at. Here comes your doctor"

Khushi was then asked to sit on one of the sofas and she enjoyed how soft and plush it was.

"Hold still, kid" The doctor looked at her elbow and after cleaning the dirt and blood, bandaged it.

Akash who was keenly watching everything standing beside his father smiled at her when she looked at him.

She again felt sorry for biting him and looked away, feeling ashamed of her action.

"Now you're all good. Just keep that bandage away from water for the day and it'll be alright" the doctor said and she nodded.

"I'll go back to my room now" The doctor said to Birendra Malik and he nodded.

"Now, we should probably inform your family, Khushi. What's your father's name? Where do you live?" He asked, turning his attention to Khushi who instantly looked alarmed.

"Babuji would be very angry" She muttered more to herself.

"Don't worry. I'll talk to him" The elderly man patted her cheek and then asked her again where she lived.

He then ordered his driver to pull out the car from the garage and as Khushi got into the car Akash hopped in too.

"I have never been to Chowk" Akash grinned when his father raised a brow at him.

As the car started moving, silence spread inside and Mr. Malik noticed Khushi was avoiding looking at Akash. He smiled and said, "You know what is better than guilt, Khushi beta?"

She looked at him and he knew she understood what he was talking about.

"Admission of your mistakes and rectification" He answered his own question and gave a slight nod of his head towards Akash who was seated between the two of them.

Khushi caught his meaning and finally looked at Akash who was trying to figure out what his father was talking about.

"I am sorry for biting you. I didn't mean to. I was a little scared and.." Khushi said.

"It is okay, Khushi" He blinked as he understood she felt guilty for biting him.Though he did not tell her that he thought he kind of deserved it for hitting her with the ball even if by mistake.

"Really? Thank you. I do not bite, you know? I never do that. I was only worried that I was getting late and Babuji would be angry. It is my birthday, you know? I was supposed to go buy a frock with Amma but I wanted to eat some mangoes and Babuji keeps forgetting to bring them" She went on with her explanation her eyes now alight with glee.

"Oh.. Today is your birthday? Happy Birthday. Will there be a party today?" Akash asked cheerfully while Birendra Singh Malik listened with interest as the two kids chatted.

"The car wouldn't get inside, Malik Saheb" The driver said eyes fixed on the narrow lanes and parked it on the main road.

Khushi guided the way as they took turns after turns in the narrow alleys and finally stopped in front of a two storeyed house painted dark green.

The gate of the house was wide open and Khushi could hear commotion inside.

She bit her tongue and looked at Birendra Singh Malik whom now she addressed as Malik Uncle.

He walked past her, stepping through the gate and Khushi and Akash followed the suite.

"Khushi" Garima, her mother, dashed towards her, hugging her close.

"I was so worried" Garima said as she pulled back and thanked all known gods and goddesses for bringing her girl back home safely.

In the meanwhile Shashi Gupta came forward and greeted Birendra Malik.

"He is Malik Uncle, Babuji. He brought me home" Khushi looked at her father and said while Garima still held her close, looking at the bandage on her elbow.

"How did you get hurt?" She asked and Khushi was tongue tied. Truth would get her a good scolding from both her parents and she did not want to lie. While Garima looked at Khushi, waiting for an answer Shashi Gupta looked at the man standing before him.

"Khushi beta, wouldn't you show Akash your house? And the story books that you were talking about in the car?" Birendra Malik said to Khushi and she instantly asked Akash to follow her to her room, glad to be spared from the grilling of her parents.

Once the children were out of sight Birendra Malik explained who he was and Shashi Gupta finally realised why he thought the man looked familiar. Birendra Singh Malik further explained how he happened to find Khushi in his orchards and seeing that she was hurt he had his family doctor clean and bandage the small wound.

After he was done explaining, Shashi Gupta profusely apologized to him for the trouble Khushi caused him but Birendra Malik waved off the matter. He also asked Shashi Gupta to go easy on Khushi for sneaking in the orchards and Shashi Gupta gave a solemn nod.

By the time, Shashi Gupta was done introducing himself to the man he found slightly intimidating, Garima brought some refreshments. Both Shashi and Garima were very surprised to see such a wealthy and astute man seated in their house and enjoying the homemade 'Rewadi' with such geniality. Garima kept asking him if he was comfortable and he nodded a yes every time.

It was quite late by now and guests had started to gather in the house for the small birthday party Shashi and Garima had organized for Khushi. Garima asked Birendra Malik out of politeness to stay for the party and the couple were further surprised when he instantly agreed.

The evening thereafter turned into a merry affair and guests gathered in the small house. The cake was brought and Khushi dressed in a sea-blue coloured frock cut her cake. She fed the first piece to Malik Uncle as directed by Garima while the guests gossiped who the rich looking man was.

Some identified him as Birendra Singh Malik from the Mahal while others only made fun of those who said that.

Why would such an elite and wealthy man visit the Guptas?

Khushi listed her eleventh birthday as the best birthday so far when Malik Uncle's chauffeur appeared in the room with dozens of gifts for her. She hugged Malik Uncle and thanked him profusely. She had also decided that Akash could be her friend when back in her room he told her that 'Oliver Twist' was his favourite book as well.

"And that is how, some fourteen years ago, the sweet and lively girl named Khushi became the apple of Birendra Singh Malik's eye and his son's best friend" finished Khushi with a smile brighter than the sun outside and Birendra Singh Malik smiled back.

"Birendra Singh Malik couldn't help it. The girl really was a charmer" said he, eyes crinkling at the corners and Khushi laughed.

"Well, thank you, Mr. Malik! Let us settle on the fact that the good girl made good friends with the good people" Khushi proposed the middle ground and Birendra Singh Malik nodded from his bed.

"Now, you should rest, Malik Uncle. The medicines must already be making you drowsy. I'll go see what Akash is up to" Khushi said as she stood up from her chair next to the bed of Birendra Singh Malik.

The old man watched her leave as he thought over her words.

"Good people" I wish I were one!

As Khushi mindlessly ambled down the stairs, that forced smile and laugh of hers dwindled for she thought how weak Malik Uncle was growing day by day.

There was so little she could do to help him.

"Watch your step, Khushi beta" Khushi heard the cautioning cry of Dr. Shailesh Kumar who was standing in the open hall with some person she didn't know.

Khushi realized she was walking mindlessly down the stairs and quickly climbed down the remaining steps.

"Have I not told you a thousand times that the stairs are the least favourable place to contemplate?" He asked with the usual hint of concern and edge in his voice.

Khushi smiled at that. The actual smile.

"I know, Dr. Uncle. But, I enjoy it so much when you use this tone with me that I keep doing it" she replied.

"Yes, of course. One day you are going to break a bone or two doing just that" Dr. Kumar rolled his eyes at her and Khushi chuckled.

"I won't, Dr. Uncle. I won't. And Dr. Uncle.." Khushi purposely lowered her voice as she leaned towards the middle aged man who in turn looked at her questioningly.

"You have got company" She said, now loudly, signalling towards the man who waited for them.

Dr. Kumar shook his head at her antics.

"Of course, I know that. I'll go talk to him. You, in the meanwhile, go find Akash. Tell him he is needed here"

Khushi nodded and breezed towards Akash's room where she found him bent over a box which she knew held his old things.

"What are you looking for in there?" She asked from behind, successfully startling Akash.

"Jesus, Khushi! How many times have I told you not to do that" said Akash, turning to face her all too quickly and frowning.

"If I don't sneak in how am I supposed to catch you red-handed?" She asked, craning her head to peep inside the box that Akash was now hiding behind his back.

"Red handed? What do you think I do in my room? Plan murders and hide evidence?" He asked.

Khushi muttered a 'may be' before climbing on the bed and going around him to look into the box.

"Hey..! Climb Down, Khushi! Your feet are..."

"You never let me look into this box. Today, I am looking" She said as she pulled the box towards her while Akash held it with both his hands.

"No. You are not! This is personal stuff" He retorted, pulling the box to his side.

"Come on! I have seen all your personal stuff. What's so special about this one. Show it to me!" Khushi said, pulling the box to her side.

"You're such a pain, Khushi! Let it go. I'll show it to you some other time" Akash tried to wiggle out of the situation.

"No time is better than this time. I am seeing it now" Khushi said, greatly enjoying the look on Akash's face.

If only he knew that she had already seen the box three years back when he had been to Delhi to see his brother.

Poor Akash! She chuckled inwardly!

"Let the box go and I'll tell you a secret" Akash said at last, knowing it was his last move.

Khushi's eyes grew alight with excitement.

"Okay. Tell me the secret and if it's good enough I'll let the box go" She said.

"Bhai is coming back" Akash said in a go and Khushi's hold on the box turned limp, her mouth hanging open.

"What?" The word fell from her lips once she closed her mouth.

Akash took the opportunity to grab the box and turned to Khushi only after he had secured it back in his closet.

"Yes. He called last week" Akash said, with a smile.

"Your Bhai..? You mean your elder brother? You mean Arnav Singh Mali...I mean Arnav Singh Raizada?" Khushi asked, with narrowed eyes.

Arnav Singh Raizada is coming to Lucknow? To Sheesh Mahal? She highly doubted that.

"Are you sure?" She asked Akash, eyes still suspicious.

"Of course I am. He called himself. He is actually coming" Akash said as much to himself as to Khushi.

And Khushi read that. Akash was as surprised as she was. Only difference was that Akash was happily surprised while Khushi...had no idea how she felt about it.

"He is coming here only because of me" said Akash in a soft voice, his gaze travelling to the picture frame on the side table of his bed, which had a picture of a seventeen year old Akash with a twenty year old Arnav. Khushi followed Akash's gaze and she noticed the play of emotions on his face.

"He said that?" asked Khushi.

"No. He didn't. But I know Bhai. He has never let me down. He has always been there for me when I needed him" said Akash, turning to face Khushi.

"And so have you, Khushi" He continued.

"I don't know what I would have done without you being around. I don't know if I would have survived the news of Baba's cancer if it weren't for you" Akash further added, reaching out and holding her small hands in his.

Khushi gently pressed Akash's hands back, looking at him with a genuine smile on her face.

"I am always here, Akash. Always" She replied, and Akash nodded, pulling his hand back.

"I know" He said and then got up.

"I am a lucky guy" He smiled with a boyish grin and Khushi grinned back saying of course he was.

"Oh shoot! I forgot to tell you. Dr. Uncle needs you downstairs" Khushi suddenly remembered, slapping a hand against her forehead.

"See. I keep telling you that you need brain medicine" said Akash and Khushi threw a pillow at him that he ducked.

Arnav had decided not to call anyone to the airport. So, when he got down the plane there was no one to receive him there.

Now that he thought about it again, he realised that he should have informed Akash. After so many years, the city looked so different, so changed.

Having already decided against taking a cab, he walked to the auto-stand section. Noticing the expensive suit he was wearing and branded trolley bags, a number of auto drivers leaped towards him.

"Sir..! Where to? Let me take your luggage" said a particularly loud man who shoved other drivers out of his way and stood in front of Arnav.

"Sheesh Mahal" He said, letting the man take hold of the bags and noticed that the man looked at him twice before he nodded and started walking towards his auto.

An auto rickshaw! He needed it to keep the ride interesting and his mind distracted. Pushing his back against the coarse seat and trying to get his legs comfortable in the small space, he instantly missed his SUV back at Delhi. Brushing aside the thoughts of his comfortable life in Delhi, he looked outside the auto-rickshaw. It offered a nice view of the city rushing past him. Or was he rushing past the city?

Arnav was engrossed in watching the roads, the tall bill boards, the buildings.

Lucknow didn't look too different from Delhi. The only difference was less people on the roads, less speed and hurry.

"First time in Lucknow, Saahab?" The auto driver asked him.

Arnav thought over the question.

"Yes" He replied.

This wasn't the city he had left behind. Or the life. This was a different city than the one it was all those years ago.

"Are you related to Birendra Singh Malik Ji of the Sheesh Mahal? I have heard he is a great man. Very rich but very kind" The auto driver asked enthusiastically.

Arnav looked at the smiling face of the man in the mirror at the front of the auto and didn't answer.

"You will like it very much in the Mahal, Saahab. It is really big. Beside the river. I have only seen it through the gate, of course. Real beauty! A reminder of the Nawabi times" The driver raved on.

"I have no need for a guide. So, shut up and just drive" Arnav's voice came out stern and cold that silenced the driver for the rest of the ride.

If only these people knew what kind of cruel animals lived behind those high walls of Sheesh Mahal. He thought.

"It's a walk of few metres from here" said the driver after he stopped the auto.

Arnav pulled out a five hundred rupees note from his wallet and handed it to the driver.

He helped Arnav with his two bags and then sped off.

Arnav could clearly see the huge gate of the Mahal from where he stood.

Dragging his bags after him Arnav started walking towards it.

With every step that he took towards it, he could feel the memories flooding back.

"May your mother die sooner!"

"Chote, take care of your father"

"You were a mistake. A mistake that ruined my life"

"Maa..wake up."

"She's dead."

Arnav's knuckles turned white as he held onto the handle of the bag too tightly.

"I dared to think for a moment that you love me more than you hate him". Akash's word echoed in Arnav's ear as he now rounded in front of the huge gates.

The two watchmen standing at the gates moved towards him, halted, realised who he was and then saluted him, opening the gates wide.

Akash must have told them about him then. There was no other way they would know of him. One of the watchmen offered to take Arnav's bags but he refused. The man went back to his station after closing the gates.

Arnav started moving towards the Mahal which was still a long walk from the gate. It was a cemented path with well maintained lawn on either side.

Arnav's attention was caught by a particular type of roses growing in one of the beds. Those were the same roses...

Arnav was still looking at the roses when something heavy but soft, tall but lithe, crashed into him with a loud yelp.

"What the..!"

"Hey Devi Maiyya"

Both said at the same time and Arnav looked, realised that it was not something but someone.

Not someone but Khushi Kumari Gupta.

He instantly stepped back.

"Dekh kar nahi chal sakte?" (Can't you watch and walk?) Khushi said, straightening up and wincing at the pain in her shoulder that seemed to be hurting.

Arnav didn't answer, only watched her.

She did have hazel eyes. Only they weren't full of light but annoyance.

Khushi who was still busy trying not to wince too much at the pain in her shoulder, finally cared to look properly at the man in front of her.

The first thing she noticed were the caramel eyes and then his perfect jaw.

Oh my god! She gulped.

"Arnav Singh Mali...Raizada" She gasped out loud. Akash's brother. And she had just crashed into him.

Bad. Too bad.

"I..I mean...Raizada Ji..Mr. Raizada...Arnav ji.." She stuttered through a series of addresses, not sure which one would be appropriate to address the elder brother of her best friend who she was meeting (colliding with?) after a long time in so many years.

"Arnav" He said, looking at her with such piercing gaze.

"Yes..Right.. Arnav ji...I know.  I am sorry. It was my mistake. I wasn't looking" She said.

"It is all right, Khushi" He replied.

"Did you just arrive? Of course you did. You have luggage with you. By the way, I am Khushi. Which of course you know! It's not like we are meeting for the first time. But, now I am all grown up..I mean you are all grown up..you look..older..Not that I mean it in a bad way..You look.. Khushi didn't know why she was still talking. She should stop.

"Is Akash in?" He finally did the help of cutting her off with a question and she was grateful.

"Yes. He is in" she replied, calming herself to some extent.

"I was just leaving. I'll leave now. I am so sorry"  She said as a way of excusing herself, feeling highly embarrassed.

Arnav Singh Raizada kept his gaze on her flushed face, doing his best to contain the smile he could feel forming on his lips. She was still nonstop with her words. He maintained the neutral face on the outside as he nodded to her and then watched her scurry out of the place, her pace brisk.

He stood there for another twenty seconds, watching her until she disappeared. Then he picked up his bags and slowly dragged them towards the main door of the Mahal.

Lucknow, finally!

Next Chapter

A/N: I know I said the updates wouldn't be frequent and I still stand by it. Consider it this week's update. the next one sadly won't be before Saturday so kindly bear with my tight schedule. 😳

So, I know all of you have lots of questions and doubts which shall be explained as the chapters will progress. 

Important

I have added a quick character sketch on page one so do check it out to know some details regarding the characters.

About the PMs, I had asked to add my PM account but I guess that's too complicated for a lot of the readers. I keep getting buddy requests on this one. Hence, to avoid any further discomfort on your and my end as well, I will be using this account to send PMs from next update onward. So, those who are in the buddy list of my old PM account, please send me a buddy request on this account. I am sorry for all the inconvenience to my old readers but this is just one time thing, pakka promise. 

Thank you so much for reading all these notes. Love you for your patience with me. 😛

PS: Why is the 'preview post' option not working? Is it just me or is it with everyone? 

Edited by Pearl_Oyster - 5 years ago
sweta_b thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Fab update! Can't wait to read more. I have add your new id. Please accept it.