Posted: 5 years ago
Interesting prologue and quite different
Ghoruigrl thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
This one seems quite interesting.. Can't wait to read more  
KaverInks thumbnail
The prologue was so intriguing! I loved that your Khushi is educated and is pursuing such unique interesting majors. Your story is so new and fresh. I hope you continue with this, and I can't wait to read more! Good luck! 
coolie001 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5

Namaste. Read. Enjoy. Leave your thoughts!

Note: Chapter 1 & 2 => 3195 words

Based on Prompt 7

Chapter 1 - Word count 1193

She drove under the waning moonlight with the windows pulled down. The occasional gusts of wind soothed her nerves. She increased the volume on her playlist and breathed in, settling the petrichor in her senses as she steered through the almost empty streets. Khushi was going to pick Payal from the office party. Her mom was against Payal driving to the party alone. Khushi decided to drop and pick her up from the party.

Driving through the empty roads was fun, but as soon as the traffic hits, it feels as if she was sucked back into another planet. She sighed as she finally moved through the traffic and parked her vehicle in the visitor's parking. Picking up her mobile, she ringed Payal's phone. The number you are dialing is currently switched off! What?

She tried again but no use.

What was she supposed to do? Khushi was in her palazzo and a full-sleeved black T-shirt. It would be odd if she walked into a fashion industry's renowned party in that attire. She doubted Payal would be wasted and would need her. God! She groaned as she locked her car and walked to the front yard. There were guards everywhere. How in the world would she go and search for Payal?

She dialed Payal's number again but in vain. She looked around her and felt out of place. From long flowing gowns to short length dresses, to weird looking ones, this place was full of glamour. She could sense the amount of stress these people take to appear in the news. She could only wonder. Well, the concern is her sister dearest now. To try her luck, she walked till the gates, and the guards as expected asked her for an invitation.

"Hey, my sister is inside," the tall man looked appalled, he rose his eyebrows questioning her.

"Sorry, mam, no invite no entry," the guard said.

"My sister's name is Payal, and she called me to pick her up, and now her mobile is switched off. Can you tell her that I'm here?" she requested with her huge hazel eyes, and the guard listened carefully, "Trust me, I don't want to go in there either," she added, he looked at her for a whole minute and conceded later.

"Wait here, mam!"

"Thank you," she tapped her feet impatiently when she saw the same guard walk out with a tab in his hands. She looked around him to see if Payal was coming, but there wasn't any sign of her.

"Mam, yes, there are two people with the same name. Can you tell her full name, and designation?"

"Yes, Payal Gupta, Junior Fashion Designer, and Knitwear Manager," she said, anxiously.

"Mam, you can go in! Here's your id. Please show it in the front," although reluctant, she walked inside.

The inside looked magnificent. With pearl white drapes and fairy lights dangling all sides, she felt like as if she was in another world altogether. The chandelier looked royal as it lit the whole of the room, adding flamboyance and royalty. It was almost covering half of the hall. Some, people danced, some were gregariously chatting but no one seemed amicable to her. Everyone had this weird glint in their eyes that was nothing close to friendship. It felt as though they were all trying to prove who was better. Flamboyance. Power. Ego. That was all of it. 

The lights almost blinded her. It took her some time to adjust her vision. She walked through the glitters and glamor. Where are you, Payal? She thought as she searched. So, she decided to ask someone and looked around! Whom to ask? She turned to her left and saw an elderly lady and enquired but all she got is a ridiculous look and no answer. How rude?

Her gaze settled on a couple, the man stood in what looked like a tailored suit and the lady in a red designer saree. She walked towards them, skeptical somewhere that the attempt would be futile but what's wrong in trying, right?

"Hi," she tried to gain their attention, and both turned. That's when she admired how stunning they looked. Suddenly, she felt very intimidated. Taking in a breath, she spoke, "My name is Khushi. I am looking for my sister, Payal. She called me to pick her up, but her mobile is switched off,". She watched the couple exchange looks. The man looked like he was in his 40s, and his rugged looks spread strong aura. Khushi couldn't guess the woman's age though, but all she noticed was her beautiful eyes twinkling in the lights.

"Hi," she greeted Khushi.

"I'm Anjali, and this is my brother, Advait,"

"Hi," she greeted both. A weird silence encompassed, and no one spoke.  

"I'll let someone announce," Advait told, and Khushi realized how husky his voice sounded, when he was about to call someone, Khushi's eyes settled on a lone figure in the corner. She recognized it was Payal.

"I guess she is there," she pointed in the direction of Payal. "Thanks a lot," Khushi said, her eyes still focused on Payal and walked towards her sister.

Anger rose in her when she saw Payal. She was sleeping on one of the chairs head bent behind and tilted to one side.

"Payal, wake up," she was completely drunk. She brought some lemon soda and tried to wake her, but no use. Payal slept like a baby. Will calling her dad help? Payal would be grounded forever. No, bad option. Who else? Akash, or NK? She called them, but no answer.

"Need some help?" she heard a voice. Turning around, she was quite impressed. A handsome young man stepped in his three-piece suit, his hands casually tucked inside, his dark eyes and sharp features did quite a justice to his broad shoulders.

"Arnav," he extended his hand.

"Khushi," she took his hand for a quick handshake and was taken aback by his firm grip. She couldn't deny his help because she couldn't come up with a better plan.

"She is like, super drunk," Khushi told him, and he nodded. Effortlessly, he picked Payal in his arms as they walked outside, and she walked ahead to lead him to her car.

Arnav placed her in the backseat carefully before standing up.

"Thank you so much," she looked at him. "Not a problem. Do you want me to drive behind you, till your home?" she denied.

"I'll manage. Dad will take care from there!" she said, lips twitched in a frown. He chuckled. "So, she is not your roommate or friend?" he asked surprised.

"I'm her younger sister," Khushi grinned. "Oh!" he said.

"Why do you look so surprised?" she asked him rather curiously. "Generally, in these parties, I see friends and not sisters," he laughed. She smiled, as she sat in the car.

"Here, this is my card, call me if you need any help, with drunk cases," handing her his card, a toe-curling smirk settled on his face. She took the card and looked in wonder. Arnav Singh Raizada, Architect. "Sure, bye. Thanks again!" Khushi said as she drove away to her home.

Previous 

Next

Edited by coolie001 - 5 years ago
JanuaryEmbers thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Intriguing. Can't wait to read more!
chinnulu thumbnail
Visit Streak 1000 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail + 9
Wonderful Update
Loved the first meet between Arnav and Khushi. Wondering what Arnav, the architect would be of help in the drunk cases. It was funny to see Khushi was so into getting Payal home who was fully drunk never thought of it when Arnav was handing out his card.
Eager for the next one
Advance Thanks for the PM
dv19 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Anjali, advait and arnav three of them siblings. Does advait resemble arnav. Case of mistaken identity plot in yr  mind?.
Loved the detailing of the party hall, people and goings and aura...

So payal is gonna get.. grounded for...

Philosophical Drinker

It doesn't matter if the glass
Is half full or half empty
Either is fine
It just means that there is
More than enough room
To add more wine

Loved it.

Edited by dv19 - 5 years ago
rosalineak thumbnail
Looking forward to read more...
mu12 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
It's so nice 
Two generations 
Kushi 'S birth is a mystery and how it fit in her present ,anjali having another brother 
coolie001 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5

Note: Chapter 1 & 2 => 3195

Based on Prompt 7

Chapter 2 - 2002 words

Shashi walked outside briskly when Khushi's car pulled into the front gates. His previous apprehensions returning with a jolt, when he couldn't see Payal. He set his eyes on Khushi with the increasing worry that was eating his head. But Khushi didn't look at him, instead opened the backdoor of the car and looked at him apologetically.

He groaned loud enough for Khushi to flinch, before picking Payal and taking her to her room. Once he pulled the quilt and dimmed the lights, he summoned Khushi outside. Folding his arms, he fixated his eyes to Khushi, waiting for her to explain.

Khushi felt uncomfortable under her dad's gaze. She knew her dad would be waiting until they return home safe and sound, no matter what. He wasn't a person who would restrict them from spending some fun time with friends. However, he was invariably aware of their whereabouts, which was the reason he didn't let Payal drive alone to the party.

Payal was not alcoholic. She never got wasted like this ever. Pride to defend her sister propelled as she formulated her thoughts. A habit that she started a few months back after she prattled nonsense in front of a professor. Whenever Khushi felt uncomfortable, she rambled. She didn't want Payal to get in trouble because of her nonsensical habit. 

"Dad, she had a couple of cocktails and, her friends called me to pick her up," she lied, there were no friends. She was mad at Payal for not being careful, but then she would confront her personally. Importantly, she didn't want her dad upset. He was a wise man. He knew when and where to be strict and when to leave them to learn the requisite lessons of life. She always admired him for that.

Shashi knew that his daughter was lying. Why else would she stand in front of him bringing excuses? She was protecting her sister. He was heedful enough to notice her defensive nature from the time she stepped out of the car.

"Give her some lemonade, and she will be fine by morning, he said and was about to walk before he stopped and looked at Khushi. She was bothered. He knew her very well.

"I'm sorry, Payal's sorry. She should be more careful. Don't be upset," Khushi spoke worriedly. Shashi laughed, as he walked to her, and took her into his arms. "I know, I'll talk to her. Now, don't stress yourself. Your mom's going to have a fit in the morning, and prepare for that," he chuckled making her smile. Relief spread through her veins. It always bothered her if people don't express their worry. She knows, everyone needs time to come around, and all that, but her mind goes into an overrun. Something that she can't help.

She walked to her sister's room and looked at her sleeping so calmly. She didn't want to disturb, but she needs to have that lemonade. 'It is going to be a long night' Khushi sighed.

Well, she was right. It was not just a long night but a long-drawn morning. As expected, her mom chastised Payal for being reckless. Hence, their morning was quite an ordeal. Khushi and her father stayed mum all the while. The whole conversation was Payal's ineffectual explanation and apologies along with Garima's angry retorts.

Khushi slowly slipped away throwing an apologetic glance towards Payal and hurried byes to her parents. She can sit and talk with Payal later, for now, 8 AM lecture demanded her presence.

The morning classes busied her mind. As soon as she was free, she accompanied Lavanya to the cafe, and picked her phone she dialed Payal's number. Expecting a dizzy voice, she was quite surprised by her sister's chirpiness.

"Are you working today? Khushi asked, confused.

"Yes, milady! I didn't want to stay home, mom's burning rage will turn me into ashes if I sit empty-minded," Payal chuckled.

"Good, but I'm mad at you too,"

"I know, well I was about to call you," Payal told.

"Is it? Why, do you need wisdom? I've got plenty," Khushi imitated her mom, and both laughed.

"No, thanks. A handsome gentleman came by, and asked me, how I was," Payal tittered.

"Wow, nice going big sister," Khushi smirked waiting for the retort but what she heard next kind of surprised her.

"Yes, he asked my well-being but looking like he has a special penchant for my little sister,"

"Uh?" Khushi was surprised.

"Arnav Singh Raizada came in today. Do you have any clue what big shot he is, Khush?"

"Arnav, the architect?" that's when she recollected yesterday's events. With all that happened at home, the guy has taken a back seat.

"Payal, he was quite helpful," Khushi smiled recollecting his amicable stance.

"Oh, god! I'm privileged," Payal couldn't hold her giggle and blurted 

"Anyhow, he seems like a nice guy, I gave your number,"

Khushi spilled the sip of chai and coughed vigorously.

"WHAT? Why would you do that? And what weird logic is that Payal. Don't be a wing woman!"

"Talk to him, babes. He has got interesting stuff. Okay, boss alert, bye," with that she cut the call.

Khushi frowned. She was not interested in looking for any relations now. Her sister is hell-bent making her go on dates. Well, not that she expected Arnav would approach her or something. At that moment, her phone buzzed, and she picked up before thinking twice.

"Hello," she said dazedly.

"Hi, Arnav here. Khushi?" the husky voice came from the other end, and she coughed, again. This time Lavanya lightly smacked her shoulder and moved to the other seat.

"Hi, I'm so sorry, excuse me," Khushi said as she drank a glass full of water.

"Hi Arnav," she said again.

"Hi," he drawled, once more in that husky tone. Wow.

"I spoke to Payal, she gave me your number" he came straight to the point, and Khushi was surprised.

"Look, Arnav. I...I am not sure what Payal told you," She weighed her words before adding 

"I mean, I'm not interested in dating right now," she almost whispered the last few words. What the hell? It felt embarrassing, but she didn't want to lead him.

"Excuse me?" surprised tone roared from the other end of the phone and next minute she heard laughter.

"Sorry," Khushi apologized waiting for him to say something.

"Payal told me you were looking for internships, and I know my friend has some openings in his company," he completed, his voice still beholding the mirth.

Khushi wanted to vanish into thin air. Shit. What the hell? Why does she have to act like an idiot? "Sorry," she said and went all red with embarrassment. "Well?" he spoke.

"Yeah, I mean yes, I'm looking for internships,"

"Alright, send me your resume, and I'll forward," he said and Khushi felt very intimidated.

"Yes, I have your card, and I'll email," she felt like an idiot.

"Sorry, Arnav," she spoke almost inaudibly. 

"That's totally fine," the tease in his tone still evident.

Khushi snarled at her fate. Why? Why me? She quickly opened her laptop and sent him an email. Payal is such a crazy girl. Couldn't she at least mention, but she was to blame herself. Anyways, she is never going to face him again, so, the awkwardness can stay at bay.

Little did she know what is in store.

Akash said he would drop Khushi at her home in the evening when she invited him for tea, he readily accepted. They were sipping in tea when Payal walked in.

"Hello!" She greeted them both.

"Hi," Akash stood up as he smiled dreamily at Payal. Payal and Khushi exchanged looks. Khushi was aware that her friend has been crushing over her sister. If Payal didn't know, she was sure of it now, at least.

"Hey," Payal greeted, taken aback by his unnecessary chivalry.

'Akash,' Khushi pulled the fabric at his elbow to bring him back to his senses. Payal isn't the shy types. She would shamelessly confront and pull his leg. Khushi didn't want any trouble for now.

"So, how's your day!" Khushi asked her sister to break the weird bubble that enchanted.

"Pretty well, how's college?"

"The same old stuff," Akash answered. Khushi facepalmed. Literally.

"Okay," Payal drawled, eyebrows crunched as she picked her diet coke from the fridge before walking to her room.

"Bye Payal. Very nice to see you," Akash shouted from behind. Payal turned and gave a curt smile before vanishing from their sight.

"AKASH!" Khushi thundered, poking her finger into his shoulder.

"Ouch, What was that for?" he rubbed his shoulder.

"Cut it. Stop crushing  on my sister,"

"I was trying to be nice," Akash drank the tea in one gulp, not meeting her eyes, and left hurriedly.

Garima looked at Khushi fondly. Khushi got an internship in London, and she knows how much effort Khushi had been putting to secure it. Garima wondered how different it would have been with Gargi around. They decided not to disclose anything regarding the adoption. It was a tough decision to make. However, it was simpler and made things easier. 

"First and foremost, thank Arnav," Payal told her, with mouth half filled with the food.

"Don't speak while you eat," Garima berated, but Payal just grinned.

After an eventful dinner, she walked into her room. She texted Arnav, a call would be too much, and she was pretty embarrassed with the previous events.

Khushi: Hi, Arnav! I got the internship. I am thankful to you. 

An immediate reply popped.

Arnav: Wow. There's nothing to thank me. You were the one who cleared four rounds, competing with fifteen others. So, congratulations to you.

Khushi was surprised as he knew so much about his friend's company. 

Khushi: Haha! Opportunity is important.

Arnav: What's the use of the opportunity, if you aren't talented?

Khushi: Alright, truce. I've got work to do. Bye. TTYL.

Arnav: Bye.

Khushi sat on the bed and looked at her phone, smiling to herself. Arnav Singh Raizada. Interesting. 

She got up and walked to the window. The day was pleasant, no humidity, no heat. She smelled the fresh breeze that veered through the window. The sky looked particularly amazing, the blends of dusky sky shimmered across miles and miles, spreading a magical aura. She would miss home for sure. Nevertheless, this was a change, an inevitable change that she craved to witness.

She walked to her bookshelf as she picked her journal suddenly wanting to read an old poem that she wrote for the school magazine, she turned the pages until she reached the page she was looking for.

Towards the evening I rise, rise to fall so low
Blending with ocean, trees, and eyes
Towards the end, I shimmer
With the glow of final adieu!

It is, I think, the never-ending (3000) thought of a Bye
that brings joy before it shatters
Into million pieces of memories, all shining in hues
Till the end I carry, the sun of heart, the sun of soul
waiting for the death bell to ring before I say a Bye

It is fascinating, O' yes, it is
To try and evaluate the relativity of death
Is it me dying or you moving, a question hanging in the still air
Never dodging the self-proclaimed hideous 'you' that hides in you,
I believe it's me who is dead, and not you

As the sun of the sky, I say Bye
Never to return or so I thought
I am a nomad of a small niche
So, I return to say hie, every morning
With a due pattern

Well, well, who am I to say it all
There's a magic cast between the twilight and dusk
Before plummeting into darkness
Never forget it's the same sun all along

She would be leaving the next week as soon as she completes her finals. So much to learn and so many experiences to bag with that thought she went to bed, falling into a warm slumber.

PS: The poem is written by me! I am clarifying 😆as to hold on the word count.

Edited by coolie001 - 5 years ago