Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 5 years ago

Chapter 13

Urmila got up as the rays of sun fell on her. It was after months she had slept well that night. Somewhere Ma Sumitra had put her worry about Sita didi to rest. Then her husband talked to her after so many years. He told he loved her, wants her in his life. She looked at his hands and kept them close to her heart and felt his touch. She had thought her entire life she would be alone in that room. But no. In another couple of months her lonely life will end.

She thought about all her questions and understood all were baseless. How she couldn't understand him. He was guilty of leaving her and what all she was thinking. Yes, he had not come to meet her, why she didn't barge into his room to meet him. She was his wife and she had every right to go and meet him. She also didn't go and went through all the unnecessary turmoils. If she had gone to his room maybe their problem would have been solved before. She sighed. There was no point thinking about the past, it was the time to look toward to their new beginning.

Then she remembered Mandavi didi. She had to be near didi. Last night she had tried to make didi understand what Maa Sumitra told her. But Mandavi didi was inconsolable and had slept crying only. She can't allow didi to be like that especially in the condition she was in. She freshened up quickly and rushed to Mandavi's room.

Lakshman looked at his horse. He had another day to travel before he could reach Kashi. He was happy and sad at the same time. Happy because he was finally able to open up to Urmila. Sad because he couldn't stop his brother from banishing his bhabi. The conflicting thoughts had kept him half-awake through the night. Then he remembered Ma Sumitra's words and then Urmila's smile and was finally able to sleep.  Now it was time to travel. Ram bhaiyya had asked him to take royal servants along with him. But Lakshman had declined. He told he needed his personal space and he will travel to Kashi all alone. So, he had taken only the gifts Maa Sumitra had given to give to her family and the food that will be required for the long travel. He mounted the horse and started his journey towards Kashi.

Urmila looked at the silent Mandavi and the food in front of her. Mandavi was still lost. Bharat jeeju had tried to cheer her up and had given up. Seeing Urmila, he had gone out.

"Didi please eat. You can't do this to the baby growing inside you, pleaded Urmila.

"Urmila how can you be calm. Isn't didi too pregnant. What will be she doing now. Thinking about her how can I eat, Mandavi started crying again.

"Didi you eat now. I will surely try to get information of Sita didi. You know I have my sources. I used to get you information on Bharat jeeju and we also used to get information on the Lanka war now and then.

Mandavi looked at Urmila. She knew in the fourteen years Urmila had been separated from her husband she had cultivated a network of ladies and men through which she could get updates about Lakshman. It was something that she had shared only with Mandavi and Kirti and didn't want anyone else in the palace to know. Not even Maa Sumitra. Urmila heaved a sigh of relief as she saw Mandavi smiling. She took the plate and fed her assuring her that day evening she will have information on Sita didi.

Urmila walked outside Mandavi room. It has been months she had used her network. She hoped it was still active as she walked towards the royal kitchen. Her network started from Ranimaa there. Ranimaa was royal cook and had taken a special liking to Urmila. She had so many contacts inside and outside palace and was a very knowledgeable lady.

"Princess Urmila you want the information on queen, whispered Ranimaa as soon as she saw Urmila and Urmila was surprised.

"Ranimaa how did you... asked Urmila astonished.

"Princess Urmila from the time the news had come on the banishment on the queen I was expecting you. I know you would want to know the whereabouts of your sister. I have already made necessary arrangements. You will get the information by evening, smiled Ranimaa.

"Thank you Ranimaa. It is greatly appreciated, told Urmila and then moved out. On the way she once again remembered about Lakshman.

Why didn't she talk about her secret network to her husband? She could have eased his guilt. But in her need to question him she forgot the fact that she can get information. In her anger she forgot the truth Ma Sumitra told. The fourteen-year vanvass and the five-month separation was not her fault. But this three-month separation she knew she could have avoided it if she had thought things through calmly.

But there was no point thinking about that. What has happened has happened. Now Lakshman was gone and she will have to wait for him. Once again, she decided to go to garden. As she stepped into the garden rain drops fell on her and a slight breeze fell on her. Urmila smiled. The light rain and the gentle breeze. It was raining slightly and a gentle breeze was blowing in Mithila the day Ram and Lakshman entered the palace along with rishi Vishwamitra. The day love had walked into her life. Once again, the breeze was flowing and once again rain was falling. It was as if it signaled love was coming back to her life again. Was her husband coming back, did he decide there was no point going to Kashi. Her heart began to beat faster. As she turned to go to her room, she saw a footman standing at the entrance of royal garden

He bowed to her, "Princess Urmila I have been asked to tell you that prince Lakshman would be returning to Ayodhya by night. Please be informed that he will be meeting you tonight.

Urmila took the necklace from her neck and gave it to the footman who had brought her the good news. The footman took leave and Urmila went back to the garden. She wanted to get herself drenched in the rain. She closed her eyes reminiscing every moment of that day in Mithila when she was drenching herself in rain and the news had come rishi Vishwamitra was coming along with princes of Ayodhya Ram and Lakshman.

Sumitra looked at her daughter in law from her room enjoying the rain. News had reached her Lakshman was coming back. Finally, Urmila was getting the life she deserved so much and as a mother Sumitra felt very happy.

Siya-Ram thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Di you writings always have that charm. I started reading and I couldn't stop till I read ur last update.
Loving it
Will post detailed comment later
Btw my 12th boards have started di. Please keep me in your prayers.

Your IF colour has changed 😳
25000 posts. That's huge di and all of those have been meaningful and beautiful 😛 Edited by Siya-Ram - 5 years ago
shruthiravi thumbnail
I didnt notice it sanju. Awaiting ur comments. Actually this story has 2 more parts and it will close some time next week
shruthiravi thumbnail

Chapter 14

Lakshman was on his way back. Actually, he had gone towards Kashi only when a thought had stuck him. Why was he going to Kashi? Can't he get the peace he is searching with his wife. Urmila has waited fourteen years for him. Sita bhabi is her sister. Who will understand his pain better than her? Was it necessary again to go away from her? Then he had realized there was no need to go anywhere. The sanctuary he searched was readily available to him in his wife. He decided to return to Ayodhya. The gifts for Kashi he will send was via messengers.

Now as the distance to Ayodhya was getting reduced Lakshman was feeling happy and lighter.

Urmila sat decorating her room. She had kept specially designed aroma diyas in the nook and corner of the room. Lakshman had loved them. Then she arranged the curtains and kept flowers the way he liked them. Once she was satisfied with the decoration she decided to dress up. Dress herself in the bridal red once again. She was going to wear it after so many years. But she had decided she will wear that only. It was going to be a new beginning for their life. It was like they have been married again. 

Urmila called her chaperons and started dressing up. She blushed as the chaperons giggled as they bathed her in milk and did her hair sringaar first. Then as they put each jewellery talking about Lakshman Urmila turned red and the chaperons giggled more and wished their princess all the best. She was almost ready when the footman announced Prince Lakshman has arrived and will come to her room very soon.

Urmila looked at the chaperons and dismissed them. Then she began to adjust her pallu looking at the mirror. Then she heard footsteps. The sound she was waiting for all those years. She wants to look up and see his reflection in the mirror. But she closed her eyes feeling that sound as it moved nearer. She felt a hand on her shoulder and she turned gently still her eyes closed.

Lakshman held her shoulders and whispered softly "Urmila.

Tears flowed from Urmila's eyes uncontrollably. But they were the tears of happiness as she felt the pain, she held in her heart getting washed away. She gently opened her eyes and opened her eyes looking at the face of her husband. They stood looking at each other in silence and then suddenly Lakshman knelt down.

"Urmila help me my wife. I can't get over the image of Sita bhabi sitting in that jungle broken and helpless. How could I be so hard heartened. How could I leave bhabi there? She is pregnant. How much she had loved me and taken care of me during vanvass. Still what I gave her. Abandonment.

It was my mistake I left her alone that day in our hut. Yes, she was worried it was Ram bhaiyya's voice. But I was sure it was not bhaiyya. I could have just stepped out from ashram and stayed nearby only away from her vision. If I was there, I would have never allowed Ravan to touch bhabi. But I was a fool, I was hurt by her words and went in search of Ram bhaiyya. Then that Ravan cheated bhabi and took her. Now the world is blaming bhabi and bhaiyya has been forced to abandon her. "

Urmila sat beside him and took the crestfallen face of her husband in her hands, "Sumitranandan you can't change what happened. See what happened was destiny. Do you think you could have defeated Ravan easily? Ravan killed the mighty Jatayu. He would have harmed you and still took didi. But if you were critically injured what would Ram jeeju had done. Sita didi had told me how much broken Ram jeeju was when you were hit with Meghanadh's Brahmastra. That time Hanuman was there to help you. But in the hut, there would have been none. Without you Ram bhaiyya would have never undertook the journey to Kishkinda and then to Lanka.

Now coming to Sita didi's abandonment. Maa Sumitra already talked about it and I agree to her. If that is not enough, I have some news of Sita didi for you.

"News of bhabi. But how, Lakshman looked at his wife in bewilderment. Urmila made her husband sit on the bed. Then she talked about the network she had created to collect information about him during vanvass.

"Sumitranandan once you had left for Kashi, I realized I could have stopped you. By letting you know about my network. I had felt so sad that I had imposed this separation between us, myself. You don't know my happiness when I received the information you were coming back. Sumitranandan give me a chance. Allow me to heal all your wounds.

Lakshman kept his head on her lap and closed his eyes. Urmila continued, "Sumitranandan my trusted sources have informed me that Sita didi is in Valmiki ashram. Sage Valmiki has provided her shelter there. Most important Hanuman in disguise is there in the ashram to take care of her.

Lakshman got up astonished and held Urmila's cheeks, "Hanuman in ashram, that means...

"Sumitranandan that means this abandonment of didi by Ram jeeju is an eyewash for this society. He has not abandoned her. Hanuman can't be there without Ram jeeju knowledge. Ram jeeju has sent his most trusted and efficient person to take care of bhabi and his unborn child. We just have to play along with Ram jeeju. As ma Sumitra said time will reveal what Ram jeeju wants to achieve with this action of his.

Lakshman smiled. It was as if a burden was taken off his chest. His heart was right. The solution to his problem was with Urmila. He pulled her closer and as if in cue Urmila kept her head on his chest and he wrapped his arms around her.

It was a long journey for them to reach this point. To once again start their life as a couple. To understand each other better. And at that point as the rain drizzled outside they were finally at peace in each other's arms.

Avyakta thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Read the entire story Srutiravi. Loved it . Your idea of sending Hanuman to take care of Sita was sooo wonderful . Best wishes to you .🤗
shruthiravi thumbnail
There is an epilogue dear. Will be putting it.
shruthiravi thumbnail

Epilogue

Urmila looked at her sister and Ram jeeju. They were in Valmiki ashram. Twelve years had gone by and Ram jeeju's two sons Luv and Kush were teenagers and had stopped the Aswamedha horse. The ensuing fight had revealed who they were. Everyone wanted to bring the boys and Sita didi back to Ayodhya. So, they all had gone as a royal procession to bring back Sita didi.

But things were not looking good. Sita didi had refused to come and Ram jeeju had apologizing to her. Didi was mercilessly questioning her abandonment. The people of Ayodhya stood terrified in front of the Durga. It felt as if she will destroy the entire Ayodhya with the fire within her.

People fell at the feet of the woman asking her to calm down. Even Lakshman was pleading with is bhabi. But Urmila knew her didi had taken the decision and she felt her jeeju was aware of it. Ma Sumitra was correct. Ram jeeju knew what he was doing twelve years back. Today he had brought the entire Ayodhya at his wife's feet crying out for her mercy. The society that questioned the pure woman and rejoiced in her abandonment were now telling her forgive him. Urmila was jolted back as she heard her didi calling out to Mother Earth.

None knew what was happening as earth shook and thunder happened in the skies. As people looked on a circle of fire was formed where Sita was standing and then the earth split into two and Bhudevi emerged in her throne. Before anyone could understand what was happening, she took Sita in her lap and disappeared. Within no time the earth was back in place and it looked like nothing happened. Sita was gone. Mahalakshmi had gone rejecting the system that rejected her.

Urmila shivered in fear as she saw Ram jeeju taking the bow in anger shouting that he will destroy the earth that took his Sita. But he was calmed down by Hanuman followed by his children and other children of Ayodhya. Urmila heaved a sigh of relief. Ram jeeju's love for children had saved earth and Ayodhya that day. But she felt the new dawn that was promised at the time of coronation of Ram was coming soon.

That night Urmila and Lakshman discussed about the incident in the Valmiki ashram. Lakshman told her he doesn't know what was in his bhaiyya's mind but soon Ayodhya will know it. Ayodhya has taken his beloved Sita and he was not going to leave the system of Ayodhya just like that. He wants to prove to his sons he is a good husband who had loved their mother immensely.

"Sumitranandan I know. Ram jeeju will crave for the love and respect of Luv and Kush. For that he will have to give proof that going forward in Ayodhya a woman will be respected. I am still thankful to Maa Sumitra who could foresee all this. Else what would have happened to us, unknowingly some tears fell from Urmila's eyes.

Lakshman wiped her tears and pulled her closer. "Urmila Lord Narayan is always with us that is why Maa Sumitra came at the right time that day. Else with the mistakes I had committed I would have lost you forever.

"Sumitranandan there was mistake from my side too. You didn't come to me, but I could have come to you. But now we should forget all that. Tomorrow is going to be a big day. For all the sufferings we have undertaken our children are going to get something better tomorrow, concluded Urmila and Lakshman nodded.

The sun rose in the east and Ayodhya geared up for the important announcement that was coming their way. The royal court was happening in the open auditorium and the galleries were also filled. The open court happened only in rare occasions and everyone knew that was a landmark day which will be remembered in golden letters in the history of Ayodhya.

There was pin drop silence as Ram entered the court and sat on the throne. He looked around and after getting the required approval from guru Vashisth for whatever he was planning to implement he rose and addressed the gathering.

"Sita, the queen of Ayodhya my beloved wife and mother of Princes Luv and Kush left Ayodhya because of the injustice happened to her. She did this sacrifice for the betterment of women of Ayodhya and I don't want the queen's sacrifice to go in vain.

So, I have decided that from today no man can send away his daughter or wife or sister from the house just because he thinks the society doesn't want her. If any woman faces such abandonment, she can approach the royal court and she will be given justice. The property of father hereon will belong to the daughter and the property of husband from hereon will belong to wife also.

A woman brings up next generation. So, it is important that the state looks into her welfare. Without delay these new rules will be implemented in Ayodhya. Let no other woman in Ayodhya suffer Sita's fate."

As Ram concluded his speech there was all round applause. But Urmila could feel her jeeju's pain in each word he spoke and as he came down trying to hide his tears, he indicated her husband to follow him. Lakshman was needed at this brother's side at that point. Only he knew the journey his bhaiyya and bhabi had taken. As Lakshman walked toward Ram Urmila looked at her husband proudly. Yes, he was the celebrated brother and she always wanted him to be that. Because without him Ayodhya would have never seen this dawn.

Edited by shruthiravi - 5 years ago
Avyakta thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Shruti , a wonderfully written story from Urmila's point of view , which was rare and very interesting. In the  epilogue, you have given a wonderful answer to the critics who questioned Ram's wisdom in abandoning Sita , that too when she was pregnant. It is a great read Sruthi. Thank you for this great literary presentation.
Viswasruti thumbnail
Aha... our  Shruti is back with her trademark style, the champion of a particular cause since long. While reading the story since the beginning, was wondering how and where she will pronounce her judgment regarding this Sita abandonment. What a wonderful way you coronated Ram as a great husband and an extraordinary divine  King by announcing the new order of the kingdom!! I loved so ...sooo much these lines Shruthi. 

Didi was mercilessly questioning her abandonment. The people of Ayodhya stood terrified in front of the Durga.

The society that questioned the pure woman and rejoiced in her abandonment was now telling her to forgive him.

Sita was gone. Mahalakshmi had gone rejecting the system that rejected her.

Ayodhya has taken his beloved Sita and he was not going to leave the system of Ayodhya just like that. He wants to prove to his sons he is a good husband who had loved their mother immensely.

...he will have to give proof that going forward in Ayodhya a woman will be respected.

"Sita, the queen of Ayodhya my beloved wife and mother of Princes Luv and Kush left Ayodhya because of the injustice happened to her. She did this sacrifice for the betterment of women of Ayodhya and I don't want the queen's sacrifice to go in vain.

My strong desire is that every reader should read these lines the second time! That is why quoted these. A wonderfully written Urmila story and esp, I loved the epilogue most and of course, by bringing Ram's sister Santha into the story, it added new meaning and feeling to the story, an innovative idea it was.🤗 Thank you, Shruti for gifting us, to the readers, such a wonderful novelette.❤️

shruthiravi thumbnail
Thank you Avyakta and Viswashruti. A large part of Sita abandonment judgement came from my analysis of Siya Ke Ram. I had watched that show to get answer to this question only. So the answers I got from watching it, I incoorporated in this novlette and used the perspective of Urmila and Lakshman for the same.

For many Siya Ke Ram was distorted version bad version it was not Ramayana etc. But for me yes it was not Ramayana but after watching it for the first time I realized why Ram is called Maryadapurushottam. And why Ramrajya is still envied. He reformed the thoughts of Ayodhya with his personal sacrifice. A great man. A man who became divine with his Karma.

If you are willing to understand the script in Siya Ke Ram Sita has exalted her husband to an enviable position she has answered every young girl what and why her husband did what he did. That's my view.

If anyone is interested I can share the final analysis of SKR I did for the farewell thread.