WDT #3 : Bharat / Lakshman - Whose sacrifice was bigger?

Quantum-Dot thumbnail
Posted: 1 months ago

Hello all, 

This is the third weekly discussion topic in Mythological Masti forum. Here I'll post a topic (in the form of a question?) from our hindu mythology every week. Hoping to have some meaningful mythological discussions. 

IMG_1708436012040.png

Since mythology is considered a component of religion, and can be a sensitive topic for most people, with the characters often being revered, you must follow the rules of Mythological Masti Forum to maintain a peaceful atmosphere in our forum.

IMG_1708436012040.png

As the title suggests, the topic of this week is:

Between Bharat & Lakshman, whose sacrifice do you think was bigger?

IMG_1708436012040.png

Is it Bharat, who in spite of getting the throne of Ayodhya (through Dasaratha's boon to Kaikeyi), rejected it and did penance for his mother's wrong deeds / greedy acts by living an ascetic life himself in a village for fourteen years till his elder brother, Rama returned from exile?

Or is it Lakshman, who had chosen the path of the exile willingly, in order to accompany his elder brother, Rama and sister-in-law, Sita, so that he can take care of them during the exile period, by leaving his wife, Urmila and sacrificing his sleep too? 

IMG_1708436012040.png

Share your views and engage in meaningful discussions with your fellow members.

Edited by Quantum-Dot - 1 months ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Quantum-Dot thumbnail

Inviting all our mytho lovers to participate in this week's WDT. Tag your other friends too who might be interested to participate in this discussion.

Quantum-Dot thumbnail

Originally posted by: Quantum-Dot

Inviting all our mytho lovers to participate in this week's WDT. Tag your other friends too who might be interested to participate in this discussion.

RamAayeHain thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Thanks for the tag smiley31

Its such an interesting topic but I am saying it beforehand I can't choose one smiley36 I can just give my perspective on both smiley36

Will post my thoughts soon smiley31

NoraSM thumbnail

Thanks for tagging ❤️

Interesting question and I don't have enough information so on the surface level my answer is that I don't think anyone made any sacrifices

Laxman was reincarnation of Adi Sheshnag and he had to accompany Lord Vishnu's human form Lord Rama

Bharat on the other hand was given something which wasn't his in first place so he chose to not take it 

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail

When Lakṣmaṇa got the news that Rāma was being banished, he reacted viscerally with a proposal to disregard Daśaratha and Kaikeyī, seize the throne for Rāma, and slay whoever stood in the way. Rāma convinced Lakṣmaṇa to sacrifice his instinctive choice, and Lakṣmaṇa volunteered for exile as Plan B to mitigate Rāma's hardship instead of eliminating it. Consequently, Daśaratha died of grief and everyone else suffered for fourteen years. Surely, Lakṣmaṇa felt guilt, living through what he could have prevented if he had followed his own moral compass and acted with kṣatriya courage instead of servility.

Again, when Sītā went missing, Lakṣmaṇa's fault was that he had sacrificed his own will to listen to her.

Bharata always got to put his ideas into action. Kaikeyī handed him a kingdom with no one to dispute his claim, but Bharata said no, and got his wish to march the whole army and citizenry into the forest instead. Rāma reassured Bharata that he had every right to the kingdom, but again Bharata made Rāma promise to return. Bharata was forced to wait, but never forced to sacrifice his Plan A; he asked for a symbol of Rāma's approval, and he got it. No one convinced Bharata to live austerely; it was his idea.

Lakṣmaṇa and Bharata are both ideals of self-sacrifice, but Bharata sacrificed what he thought was wrong, and Lakṣmaṇa sacrificed what he thought was right. Obviously, Lakṣmaṇa's sacrifice was of greater value.

Bharata had a safety net; the option to give up the austere life and assume royal majesty was always available. Lakṣmaṇa had to hunt for his food, build his own huts, and face Rākṣasas with no safety net.

Lakṣmaṇa nearly sacrificed his life, more than once, during the war with Rāvaṇa. He was in real danger. The danger to Bharata's life, from his unprompted vow to immolate himself if Rāma returned late, remained hypothetical.

Pete15rogmourey thumbnail

Lakshman's sacrifice was greater ;

Bharat atoned for the sins of Kaikeyi 

Ram ji fulfilled his parents' wish

Here Ram and Bharat ji had obligations to fulfil but Lakshman ji had no obligations to follow them to the forest , even Ram stopped him initially but he chose to follow them to the forest to serve them....his scacrifice was greater

Quantum-Dot thumbnail

Life_Is_Dutiful thumbnail

In my opinion all these people whether in Ramayana or Mahabharata were playing certain roles to teach important lessons to mankind. Lakshman and Bharat, both of them taught us lessons on brotherhood, responsibilities and sacrifice. For me, both their sacrifices were greater. 

firewings_diya thumbnail

Originally posted by: NoraSM

Thanks for tagging ❤️

Interesting question and I don't have enough information so on the surface level my answer is that I don't think anyone made any sacrifices

Laxman was reincarnation of Adi Sheshnag and he had to accompany Lord Vishnu's human form Lord Rama

Bharat on the other hand was given something which wasn't his in first place so he chose to not take it 

nora we think alike. Yes i agree. 

Lakshman's job is to follow Rama. As he is reincarnation of shesh nag. So he did not sacrifice but he just got one more opportunity to serve his diety. He performs duty with every vishnu avatar. 

But bharath sacrificed even though it was not his duty to do. 

I vote for Bharatha.