Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

The.Wanderer thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

CHAPTER 24: MAHIR’S SASURAL

One look at Mahir’sface had been enough to tell her that she was in deep trouble that day. Once they all had had their food, BeHir went to her childhood room. It was Mahir’sfirst time in her room. It was a plain room with not much furniture. There was a small double bed along with a wardrobe and a dressing table. The dressing table was now bare and the wardrobe was nearly empty save for a few clothes that she had not been able to fit in her bags when she packed for her wedding. There was a tiny bathroom attached to her room. Bella darted to the wardrobe and pulled out a pair of tattered shorts and a really lose and hideous-looking top, stained in multiple places while Mahir was getting ready for the night.

When Mahir stepped out of the bathroom he stared at her aghast.

Mahir: What are you wearing Bella?

Bella: Well this is a pretty old dress of mine.

Mahir: But why?

Bella: Well, I left my oldest and foulest and most hideous looking dresses here. They were too embarrassing to carry to the Sehgal House.

Mahir: So this is what you are going to be wearing for the next week?

Bella: Well yeah...

Mahir: In that case...

Mahir slowly approached her and she looked at him puzzled. He put a hand out to her shoulder and in one swift motion pulled her top aside, exposing her shoulder.

Mahir: Why wear such hideous clothes, when you could simply be naked?

Bella: Mahir! NO!

The top was loose enough that both the sleeves could be pulled down on both sides, pinning her arms. She struggled as he pulled the top down further, exposing her skin further.

Mahir: What do you say?

Bella: No! Not here.

Mahir: But why? This is the perfect opportunity. I mean I am in my wife’s childhood bedroom, doing some really naughty stuff... This is so perfect.

He pulled her over to the bed and pulled her on top of him. Her hands were still pinned to the sides, restricting her movements. When she tried to struggle, he flipped her over. Now he was on top of her.

Mahir: Shhh... Baba will hear us and wonder what we are up to. We are so much closer to him you know. He will easily hear if you make even slightest of noises. So, where were we? Ahhh yes...

He began to kiss the exposed skin on her shoulder while she continued to whimper slightly.

Mahir: I am going to take you for such a ride tonight...

Just then the bed creaked loudly and Mahir jumped.

Mahir: What was that?

Bella: This bed creaks. Even if we do absolutely nothing other than sleep peacefully, it is gonna sound very very suspicious. So Mr Mahir Sehgal, we are not riding the pleasure wave for the next week.

Mahir: So you think. Just you wait and watch.

He pulled her off the bed and made her stand in a corner. She took that opportunity to right her clothes. He dragged the mattress off the bed and laid it on the floor. He straightened the bedsheet and placed two pillows on it and looked at Bella.

Mahir: Now what do you think, ma’am?

Bella: Well... It seems someone is rather desperate.

Mahir: How can one control himself when his wife manages to look so alluring in these truly hideous clothes? So where were we? Ah yes...

He went up to her and helped her out of her top and laid her down on the mattress. He took off his shirt and went to lie down beside her.

Mahir: How exciting this is Bella! I wish these walls could speak. They could tell me so many tales about your childhood, what all stuff you and Suhani discussed here.

Bella: I can always tell you those stories you know.

Mahir: Yes, but you will censor them. I want uncensored stuff. Like what were your exact fantasies regarding me? What did you and Suhani discuss when you were together? What were your aspirations growing up? What were your teenage fantasies? What kind of boys were you attracted to? Who was your first crush? Heck, I wish this mattress and pillows could talk. They would have told me what pure dreams you had about me....

Bella: Really Mahir? You are sleeping half-naked with your wife in her childhood bed and you want to know what kind of boys attracted her as a teenager? And you are better off not knowing about those dreams.

Mahir:  Why shouldn’t I know? See they will give ideas about what went on in your mind. Anyways that is not actually going to happen but it is kind of exciting you know. Hey, what’s that? Don’t tell me you have read Harry Potter books?

Bella: Are you kidding me? I am a huge POTTERHEAD. And I am going to judge you shamelessly if you say you haven’t read the books or you don’t like the series.

Mahir: NO! I love the whole series. It’s just that I never knew you are a Potterhead too. Wow! Tell me honestly, you had a crush on Diggory right? Or maybe Lockheart?

Bella: I... no....

Mahir: Really? Then who....

Bella: You will never be able to guess... It’s too embarrassing.

Mahir: Now I have to know... Tell me otherwise I will tickle you till you tell me.

Bella: No, Mahir baba will hear us.

Mahir: Then tell me.

Bella: Well, first of all, I had this huge good girl bad boy romance fantasy as a teenager. Like the kind to see in movies or maybe read about in books. I had a crush on Draco Malfoy. It did not help that Tom Felton is undeniably hot, but even before Isaw the movies, I had a huge crush on the character. Me and Suhani had a good many fights on this topic. I always defended him and his actions, even in the Half-Blood Prince. I was really heartbroken when he did not take upDumbledore’s offer of protection and then Dumbledore ultimately died. And...

Mahir: And who was the second crush? Come on now, spill!

Bella: Well the second one was Sirius Black. The daredevil older man. What’s not there to like? Siriushas have been described as handsome and completely loyal. A bit of a bad boy, a bully with a golden heart. Funny, witty, smart... I always had the hots, for Sirius Black.

Mahir: So my Miss. Good Girl has always liked bad boys, huh? That’s interesting.

He nuzzled her hair and she pressed closer to him. She suddenly felt very shy and turned and buried her face in his chest. Mahir laughed as he stroked herback. He made her look at him, but she refused to meet his eyes. She had turned a delicious shade of red and looked very alluring just then. He leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on her nose.

Mahir: Hey there! You can look at me. So how come you fell for boring old me?

Bella: I guess I always knew Draco Malfoy was not a keeper. He was only good enough for a fling. But Mahir Sehgal? Well, he is a real deal.

Mahir: Oh yeah?

Bella: Hmmm. So tell me about your HP crush... I am sure there was someone you found hot.

Mahir: Would it be too weird if I said that I had fallen for Bellatrix Lestrange? She was the ultimate badass woman I had ever read about. She attracted me like no one else did. So yeah Bellatrix Lestrange was my HP crush.

Bella: Wow! So you like badass women?

Mahir: No, I love one badass woman and that woman is my wife Bella.

Bella: Me and badass?

Mahir: Well look at you, Bella. Even your name is Bella, you love to take charge, you are a force to reckon with in the board room, no one dares to cross you, anyone crossing you doesn't live to tell the tale. Do you remember your first presentation? Sakshi had tried to hog all the attention by claiming to me that she had made the presentation when you had made it while she had barely helped with it. You were so savage. You offered to let her make the presentation knowing fully well that she had no idea about the required figures and dates. And when she couldn’t say a single word, you stepped up and completed the whole thing? Poor girl! The humiliation was such that she left the job.

Bella: Well she deserved it. Not just me, she had taken credit for a lot of things which she had not even helped with.

Mahir: And then there is the case of Pranay from the accounts department. He was constantly cribbing that his salary is not so good. If he went outside, he would surely get a better package. That idiot was constantly spreading hate and negativity. I was at the end of my tether, trying to think up ways to get rid of him without actually firing him.

Bella: Yeah, I remember. I suggested that we give him the package that he thinks he deserves and then increase his workload accordingly. As soon as his package increased, his workload also increased.

Mahir: Not just that you also constantly kept on reminding him that now that he had what he always wanted he should work properly. He left the job within three months. So yeah these people crossed you and did not survive to tell the tale. At times like these, I am glad that you are on my side. So god heard my prayer when he brought you in my life. I got my hot, sexy and badass Bella.

Bella: Aww... And what about the college days? Don’t tell me you never noticed girls when you were in college.

Mahir: Well I didn’t.Girls usually noticed me. I was too busy studying to notice anything else.

Bella: Really? And did you like the attention?

Mahir: No, I didn’t.I hated it. But I wouldn’t have minded it at all if the one giving me attention was you. Sometimes I wish we had met when we were in college. It would have been so much fun. I am pretty sure we would have ended up in a relationship sooner rather than later.

Bella: Hmm college romance sounds nice, except that I was busy drooling over Draco then. Anyways, we would not have been in the college at the same time at any given point.

Mahir: Oh yeah, I never thought about that. We have about a six-year age gap. Hmmm. It seems god heard your prayer. He gave you an older man in your life. Well, this one is no daredevil but yes he is older for sure.

Bella: Age is just a number baby. Maturity levels matter. And in that, I am way older than you are. Girls are born middle-aged when it comes to maturity levels. And college romance is messy. I like it this way. Imagine we would have had to wait for this for years.

She twisted herself closer to him.

Bella: Imagine that happening. . Imagine living through the tension, knowing that the one thing you want badly is the only thing you will never get.

Mahir: So you don approve of pre-marital sex?

Bella: Do you? I know would have never had the control to wait for it. You would have had to rein me in every time. (Wink)

Mahir: Well I am not sure... No, I guess I do not approve. I feel there is a proper place and time for everything. And teenage is certainly NOT the time. I guess it would have been a difficult situation for both of us. So yeah, I am glad that we got married straight away. That gave me direct access to my gorgeous wife. AlthoughI would not have minded some courtship period you know for dating and flirting around.

Bella: Hmmm... Even I would have liked that. But in all probabilities, you would have run away after hearing my pure thoughts regarding you. Now that we are married, you are trapped for life. By the way, for me, you are daredevil enough. It takes a lot of guts to offer marriage to a girl who was left heartbroken by your own brother. Knowing fully well that she is not likely to accept you and it is going to be an uphill task, you took it up.

Mahir: How do you know? Maybe it was all a strategy to get you to warm my bed in your emotionally vulnerable state. (Wink)

Bella: Oh yeah? I seem to remember a certain someone was quaking with fear at the very thought of his drunk wife unbuttoning his shirt. And you say it was all a strategy. Huh!

Mahir: So you think I am a daredevil?

Bella: This much daredevilry is enough for me, rest we can leave that to Sirius Black. One should have some self-preserving instincts. Which you do.... to some extent.

Mahir suddenly raised himself on his hands and hovered over Bella, leaving her trapped under him.

Bella: Now what are you up to?

Mahir: The daredevil in me has woken up and he wants to have some fun with you. Anyways you deserve to be punished for not rescuing me and making me eat so much food. I couldn’t even refuse baba. You are in so much trouble you know....

Bella: Oh yeah? What kind of fun?

Mahir: The kind where I trouble you and tickle you all night long.

He began to gently tickle her, letting his fingers slowly trail all over her. He knew from experience that she was very ticklish and even gentle tickling got her laughing like mad. So he was doing just that, nothing hurried or rushed. Slow but steady build-up. Bella was begging.

Bella: Mahir, no..hehehehe, please! Baba will hear us. No... Mahir...

Mahir: Well then don't make so much noise. Just keep quiet.

Bella: You know...hehehehe... I am ticklish. You know I can’t control.... My.. Hehehe...laughter. Please stop...

Mahir: Nope...

Bella: Mahir, you will suffer for this... Ouch! No Mahir...

In between tickling her he had lightly nipped her shoulder, leaving a mark behind.

Mahir: What were you saying?

Bella: Mahir, everyone notices these marks... It is so awkward. Please don’t... Baba will notice them tomorrow. Please... Okay... I am sorry. Next time I will definitely save you, okay?

Mahir: You better save me... Otherwise...

Bella: Yeah yeah I got it. Now can I wear my top back?

Mahir: No. I am not letting you wear that hideous thing back unless you absolutely must. And I have packed a few outdoor clothes for you. So you need not worry about the officewear.

Bella: Thank you! Goodnight Mahir. Sleep well.

Mahir: Goodnight wifey. Sleep well.

He pulled her close and they both drifted off to sleep. Next morning, BeHir woke up as usual and Mahir went to take a bath while Bella laid out his clothes. When he stepped out, he got dressed and headed towards the kitchen while Bella went to take a bath. Mahir found Mr. Sharma in the kitchen about to make coffee for the three of them.

Mahir: Good morning baba!

Mr. Sharma: Goodmorning beta. Did you sleep well?

Mahir: Yes baba. What are you doing?

Mr. Sharma: Makingcoffee for all of us.

Mahir: Oh! Do you mind if I make some for us? Bella will be out soon, screaming for her morning coffee.

Mr. Sharma: She makes you make coffee for her?

Mahir: Yup I am on the coffee duty each morning.

Mahir had begun to boil water and milk for coffee by then. He worked swiftly and expertly around the kitchen while chatting with Bella’s father. Soon he heard Bella come out of the room fully dressed and screaming for coffee.

Bella: MAHIR!!!Coffee!! Oh! Hello baba! Good morning!!! Mahir where’s my coffee?

Mahir: There you go, ma'am! One cup of steaming hot coffee for you. And One for baba. Did you like it?

Mr.Sharma: Wow! Mahir, it’s too good. And the cinnamon flavour... It’s just too good. ButBella, why do you make him prepare coffee for you? You could do it yourself.

Bella: That’s because he makes great coffee. Come on Mahir, let’s get going! Mahir? Why are you wearing your track pants right now?

Mahir: Ma’am, it’s my holiday today. I am not coming to work.

Bella: And who sanctioned your holiday Mr. Sehgal?

Mahir: Umm you did.Just now!

Mr. Sharma: Mahir goon. We will catch up later on.

Mahir: No baba, I am staying right here.

Bella: Well fine. See you then. Bye baba.

Mahir: Bella...Bella...

He followed her to their room and hugged her from behind.

Bella: What is it, Mahir?

Mahir: Don’t go.Please?

Bella: You know, we both can’t take a day off without prior planning. We will plan a holiday soon. A family holiday.

Mahir: No. As selfish as this might sound, I want a holiday with you first. Just the two of us. We didn't even get a chance to go on a honeymoon you know.

He squeezed her tightly.

Mahir: So what say an anniversary honeymoon for us?

Bella: Sure. Now let me go.

She tried to walk away but he held her back.

Mahir: Abhi na jaochod kar, ke dil aabhi bhara nahi... Please Bella, one goodbye kiss?

Bella raised herself on tiptoes and kissed him sweetly.

Bella: Now bye!

Mahir: A ji sunti ho,aaj ghar jaldi aana. Main intazaar karoonga.

Bella: Mahir! That should be my dialogue.

Mahir: But I have stolen it. Come home soon. I will be waiting.

Bella: Yeah! Now bye.Bye baba!!

Bella headed to work while Mahir went to the kitchen where Bella’s father was cleaning up some dishes. Mahir helped him with the dishes, despite his protests. All through the day, Mahir spent time with Bella’s father, getting to know him better. That evening Mahir insisted on preparing dinner for everyone. Even Suhani’s father had joined them for dinner. Bella was pleasantly surprised to hear that Mahirhad prepared the dinner. They all had the dinner that Mahir had prepared andBeHir went off to sleep. 

asifiqbalsh thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Nice update dear 

Loved it 

Both told their naughty fantasies to each other 

He cooked food for everyone & spend time with his father in law

Overall, it was wonderful update 

Thanks for pm

The.Wanderer thumbnail

Originally posted by: asifiqbalsh

Nice update dear 

Loved it 

Both told their naughty fantasies to each other 

He cooked food for everyone & spend time with his father in law

Overall, it was wonderful update 

Thanks for pm

Thanks Asif. Next update coming real soon. Mostly today.

The.Wanderer thumbnail

CHAPTER 25: ANU

That night Mahir again insisted on pulling down the mattress and sleeping on the floor. Bella had pulled out yet another hideous outfit from her wardrobe. This one was a cotton gown. The kind Mahir had never imagined he would see Bella wearing. Bella was kind of conscious of the dress but Mahir was least bothered. He pulled her down on the mattress and began kissing her urgently. There was something in the way he kissed made her feel that something was up. But she also knew him well enough to know that, that was not the right time to question him. So she just went with the flow, letting him take the lead as he hungrily devoured her lips. Finally satisfied and breathless he pushed himself away from her, looking at her adoringly. She looked at him questioningly and sat up. He shook his head and pulled her to him once again. This time he simply held her close and gave a content sigh. 

“What has happened hair?” Bella asked him slightly puzzled by his behaviour. 

“Nothing,” he told her simply. “Can’t I admire and hug my wife?”

“Of course you can. But I feel there is more to it. Come on now. Spill the beans.” Bella let him know in her way that she was not fooled by his words. 

Mahir sighed. He knew that Bella had guessed that something was up. He let go of her and she sat up once again. Mahir too sat up and looked at her guiltily. 

“I know you want to put this behind us... “ he began. 

“What are you talking about?” Now Bella was genuinely confused. 

“This as in the Anu incident and her manipulations but I feel we need to talk with her.” Mahir was somewhat unsure about how to broach the topic as it was a rather sensitive and an extremely uncomfortable one, to say the least. “I feel everyone else needs to know what she did in her madness to separate us.”

“So, let me get this straight. You want to confront Anu and let the whole family know about what she did. Am I right?”Bell’s question had pretty much put everything in perspective and Mahir nodded his head.

Bella sighed. She had expected Mahir to say something of this sort. She was not sure she wanted  Anu to know what kind of havoc she had wrecked in their lives. It was a messy situation that would lead to more mess if confronted. Mahir could see conflict in Bella’s eyes as she weighed her options. Finally, he saw her eyes harden and knew that she had decided on something. 

“Mahir, It is a messy situation. You know it is. If we confront her, she will know to what extent she managed to mess with your head and ultimately, she will know how badly she managed to affect us. I can never live with it if she knows how close she was to winning. I just can’t. Please understand.” Bella was fairly pleading with him. 

Mahir hated to see her in so much pain, but he also knew to confront Anu was important. It was not for their sake, it was for Kuhu’s sake. Kuhu needed to know what her “best friend” was capable of. He decided to tell that to Bella. 

“Bella, it’s not for our sake. It’s for Kuhu. She needs to know the truth.” Mahir reasoned.“Kuhu loves Anu as though she was her biological sister. When she finds this out, she will be furious. It will serve as a caution to her.” 

“Mahir, why don't get it? It will humiliate me. Don’t you see how it would make me look?”Bella asked him. 

“Bella, be reasonable. How will this humiliate you? It’s just letting Anu know that what she did was wrong. And letting Kuhu know that her friend tried to manipulate us. That’s all.” Mahir was not able to get Bella’s  POV. 

“Oh common Mahir! Do you think Anu is such a kid that she doesn’t know trying to steal someone else's husband is wrong? And please, if in all these years Kuhu has not realised Anu’s true colours then well... Their friendship is not as strong as they make it out to be.” Bella replied stubbornly. 

“Bella, l wont pretend to get what you are saying. But the fact is Anu had always, like always imagined that she and I would end up married. It was decided a long time ago between our families. The elders were looking forward to our marriage once you and Yuvi had settled down a bit. I had never shown any interest but I had never really opposed that match either. Look, I made it very clear to her that I was not interested after the Goa incident but a couple of years later dad and Mittal uncle decided that me marrying Anu would be beneficial to both the families. At that time I had not taken things too seriously. I had thought at that time that they were not at all serious or had maybe hoped that Anu would find someone suitable in the meanwhile.” Mahir paused to take a deep breath. Very reluctantly, he continued. 

“A few years later you came into my life and my life changed completely. I had finally found my perfect match and that was all that mattered to me. Anu was still hopeful and she could see that I was way more comfortable around you than I was ever around her. That’s why she gave you a hard time in the initial days of your job. Or indeed till you and Yuvi got engaged, she tried to keep you far away from me. The sole reason was that she saw what I was too blind to see, she felt what I was too dense to feel. You were perfect for me. That was why she was so insecure. Till you came, she was very sure that no girl would ever be a competition for her. She was sure of her position in my life. Eventually, she would end up becoming Anu Mahir Sehgal. That I did not love her was just a minor detail to her. After all, I was a man who kept his word. She knew I would never desert her. Even if I didn’t love her, I would do my utmost best to keep her well and happy. She was banking on elders to keep their word and indeed they would have done it had it not been for our marriage. But despite her best efforts, we came close to each other. First as colleagues and then as friends. Yuvi developing a crush on you was an added bonus to her. You know when Yuvi first mentioned that he wanted to marry you, dad was livid. Don’t get him wrong but... “

“But Yuvraj Sehgal marrying an employee was not something dad would have easily agreed to. I get it, Mahir. Dad liked me as an employee but was not in favour of me becoming the youngest daughter-in-law of the family because I was below your station.” Bella had interrupted Mahir before he could finish the sentence. 

“Well yes. It was Anu who spoke up for you. Emphasized on the power of love. Ma was her easy target. She spoke of how a down-to-earth girl like you would influence a wild guy like Yuvi. Ma fell for it. She had hoped that maybe I would fall for you, but then when she saw that I was happy simply being your mentor, she let go of that dream. And it was true, if Yuvi had indeed loved you, he would have changed. So, we all fell for Anu’s argument that Yuvi truly loved you and you alone could change him. We all failed to see that you and Yuvi were mismatched at a level that impossible to overcome by mere infatuation. We all failed to see that what Yuvi had for you was just an infatuation. We were fools for having fallen for Anu’s words. None of us could see it then. It was but natural for Anu to speak up on Yuvi’s behalf. He was her friend and it made sense ifs he tried to convince ma and dad of the match that Yuvi thought was perfect. Yuvi himself was convinced that he loved you truly and deeply.” Mahir continued to explain. 

“But how come neither of you thought that it was odd that the girl who hated me was suddenly praising me?” Bella asked him. 

“We were all blind. We thought it was so very natural that Anu should stick up for Yuvi. But now I see. She was very eager to push you out of my life and so she helped us convince dad of your and Yuvi’s match. After the kiss, our kiss I mean, I realised what a fool I was.   That you had loved me all along and I was the one who was so blind that I did not see it. But it was too late then. Dad was almost convinced. After setting you straight, I went and cried for hours. When I got back home, I told ma everything. She advised me to forget that I ever had any feelings for you and to help Yuvi. And I did just that. When you finally agreed, dad once again broached the topic of my and Anu’smarriage...” Mahir’s pause was making Bella uncomfortable. Although she knew that Mahir had married her, the thought that he had maybe said yes to Anu troubled her. She knew it was stupid. This jealousy was stupid. But even then she could not help but ask

“And? What did you say?”

Mahir on his part was uncomfortable. He had never mentioned this to Bella as it had seemed irrelevant at that time. Why rake up the past and upset her, he had thought. He was aware that she was waiting for his answer. 

“I... I did not say no. I never agreed but didn’t disagree either. The truth was that I was indifferent to her. Always had been. But after losing you, it did not matter anymore. It was not as though we were going to have much of a married life anyway.” Mahir added bitterly. 

“You would not have... I mean not even out of duty...” Bella let the sentence trail. 

“No,” Mahir replied quietly. “I would not have. Before you entered my life I would have probably allowed it to happen. But after experiencing what true love is, what it feels like to be in your lover’s arms, I would have never even looked at her Bella. Those brief moments... That kiss... Would have been enough to last a lifetime.” Mahir was now looking at Bella, hoping that she understood him. She did. But he still didn’t get her perspective. And she didn’t have words to explain it to him. 

“Now do you get it why Kuhu needs to know this? Anu is an angel for her. And for Kuhu Anu is an angel. She is a witch for us.” Mahir pleaded with Bella. 

Bella nodded her head. “Mahir, I get you. I really do. But do you get me?” Bella asked him. 

He shook his head. He didn’t see why it was humiliating for Bella. Bella sighed. Well, there is no easy way to do this, she thought. 

“Mahir, imagine! Imagine if our positions were to be reversed. How would you have felt? If I had lost my memory and Yuvi had done what Anu did. Taken advantage of the fact that I no longer remembered you, and had tried to manipulate me into starting a relationship with him. When I regained my memory, would you have been in favour of telling him the extent of damage that he had managed to inflict upon us? Wouldn’t you have felt humiliated if he had found out how close I was to surrendering myself to him?” Bella asked him. 

Mahir finally understood what she was trying to say. He smiled at her and simply pulled her to him. He gathered her in his arms and held her there till she could not hold it in much longer. He continued to hold her tightly while she sobbed almost hysterically in his embrace. It was a long time before either of them spoke. When she was finally calm enough to push him away slightly he looked at her fondly. She looked like a child to him in her hideous cotton gown with her hair all mussed up, eyes red and swollen and her lower lip still trembling. Gently, very gently he planted a light kiss on the tip of her nose. 

“Bella! Bella!Bella! What do I do with you? How can anyone be so endearing? Look at me. No, look at me first. Anu managing to nearly manipulate me is not a reflection of your love. It reflects badly upon her character. She managed to almost manipulate me because she had thought this through and not because your love was weak. If anything, she did not manage to convince me because somewhere at the back of my mind I was sure of your love. I did not remember it but could feel it giving me the strength to resist her.” Mahir tried to make her understand. 

She looked at him for assurance and he nodded his head encouragingly. 

“Okay then. Let’s get this over with. We will deal with Anu. Together.” 

Next few days went happily enough. Soon it was the time for them to return to the Sehgal House. Mahir had extended their stay by another week on Sumitra’s insistence. Anu in the meanwhile was livid that despite all the manipulations, Mahir and Bella were back together. And that too at her father’s place. But all was not lost yet. She had one more trick up her sleeve. She had come and parked herself at Sehgal House a couple of days before BeHir were set to return. The idea was that she could corner Mahir as soon as he came back. When BeHir entered, they were greeted by Anu. Bella’s face soured but she managed to recover quickly. After a customary hello to everyone, Sumitra dragged her to her room for some important discussion. In the meanwhile, Mahir went to BeHir’s room and Anufollowed after him. 

Mahir was shocked to hear someone follow him inside the room. He was even more alarmed to see that it was Anu. Before he could ask her, what she was up to, she spoke. 

“WOW Mahir, just wow!! So after having fun with me, you are back to your wife it seems.”

Mahir was caught off guard for a bit but he soon recovered. “What are you talking about Anu? What fun? Listen, it was you who tried to twist everything and get intimate with me. I never even touched you, okay?”

“You know that I know that but does the world know that? Does your wife know that?...” While Anuwas going on, Mahir caught a glimpse of Bella standing at the door, frantically trying to catch his eye. He was about to open his mouth to set Anu right about the fact that Bella knew all about it but saw to his surprise that Bella was shaking her head, a wicked smile on her face. She had her phone in one hand and Mahir saw that she was recording the whole thing. Bella winked at him. 

Mahir smiled suddenly and refocused on Anu. Anu was still going on about she could turn each of the situations in her favour. Mahir decided to play along and put on a very scared face. He went up to Anu and grabbed her shoulders and turned her slightly so that her face was visible to the camera. He decided that the camera needed some clearer proofs. So pretended to plead with her. 

“Anu, you know nothing happened. Then why are you hell-bent on getting me in trouble?”

“I know Mahir. I know you never even touched me. Not even when I was this close to you, you didn't even look at me.” Saying this she stepped closer to him. “But how are you going to prove this? Do you think Bella will believe you when I tell her how we had kissed in Goa? Or when I tell her how we both were supposed to get married. And it was Bella who came in between us. Do you think she will be lenient when she knows that I had almost managed to convince you that we had something going between the two of us? I hold the key to your life and dignity Mahir. Oneword. Just one rumour and your squeaky clean image will go for a toss. I don even have to accept or deny it. I just have to whisper one tiny rumour... Or not even that, I just have to go and tell Bella about our meetings... And it’s all over for you my friend.” 

Mahir was uncomfortable with the way Anu was clinging to his shirt. But he knew he had to keep her talking. So, he pretended to give up. “Alright Anu, you win. Now tell me what do you want?”

“OOOOoooooAdmitting defeat so soon? Well then, meet me tomorrow. 7 PM sharp at Sea Princess. We will discuss your options then.” Anu evil smile made Mahir shudder. 

“You do know that I love Bella, and I will never be able to love you, don’t you?” Mahir asked her.

“OH, honey! What do you take me for? Do you think I want to have a relationship with you? Or are you under the impression that maybe tomorrow I will try and get intimate with you?”

“You won’t?” The shock in the question did not entirely mask Mahir’s relief. 

“Of course not silly! Do you think I am a....?  Well I won't say the word, but get the drift right? I know that you are madly in love with your wife. Yes, when you lost your memory, I had harboured a hope that maybe I could get you into a relationship, take you deep enough for you to feel guilty about it. But I couldn’t even clear the first base. You were too stubborn. Now I want nothing to do with you.” Anu replied.

“Then, why?” Mahirasked.

“This? You will find soon enough. See you tomorrow, jaan!” Saying this, Anu walked away. Bella barely had time to hide behind a nearby curtain before Anu was sweeping past her. Once Anu was safely downstairs, Bella rushed to their room to find Mahir impatiently waiting for her. 

“What was that all about Bella?” Mahir asked her urgently. 

“It was all a plan. I and Ma had planned this. According to the plan, Ma dragged me to her room so that Anu could have a clear road to you. We were hoping that she would take the bait, and she did. As soon as she followed you, I followed her with my camera on and managed to shoot the entire conversation.” Bella’s answer stunned Mahir.

“And why was I not informed of this?” Mahir asked. 

“Because you don’t tell the bait that he is about to be swallowed whole by an alligator.” They turned to see Sumitra standing at the door. 

“MA!” 

“What? It’s a fact hair. You were the bait. If we had told you, you would have never agreed to this.” Sumitra and Bella laughed at Mahir’s disgruntled face. 

“So, what happens tomorrow?” Mahir asked. 

“Nothing of course. Why? Do you want to go and meet her?” Bella asked him, her eyes gleaming mischievously. 

“What? NO! I DON’Twant to meet her.” Mahir was horrified at the very thought. 

“Tomorrow you both will find yourselves alone at home. That will give you plenty of time and privacy to deal with her.” Sumitra informed Mahir. 

Next day Sumitra declared that they had not been to her mother's place for months. It was time to go and meet Nani. RJ was in on the plan. He decided to take Kuhu to meet his mother. So with Kuhu out of the way, Anu was left all alone. Sumitra graciously extended the invitation to Anu as well, but it was a well-known fact thatSumitra's mother hated Anu and did not miss a single opportunity to taunt her. So Anu decided that she would go home. At 5:30 the Sumitra and Yuvi were joined by Rehan and they all went to the CCTV control room. Andy, Polo, Pratham and Suhani went out together. Once safely inside the control room, they waited for Anu to show up. Yuvi was to warn BeHir once Anu entered inside the gate. The original plan was that Bella would hide while Anu and Mahir met. Mahir had already set up cameras in the room, just to be safe. He didn't trust Anu even one bit. 

It was nearly six when he and Bella sat down on the bed after having checked that all the cameras were working well. They sat like that in comfortable silence for some time. Suddenly Bella felt Mahir shift next to her, she raised her eyebrows at him, but he shook his head. Suddenly the lights flickered around them and went out.  

"Shit! The lights went off... Now what?" Mahir heard Bella's frustrated voice in the darkness. 

"Well, we still have time. Anu is not coming here till 7. So let's hope the lights come on till then." Mahir replied soothingly. 

"But why has the generator not kicked in yet?" Bella asked. 

"You know Bella that the generator is under repair and it takes some time for it to kick in. Relax!" Mahir did his best to get her to calm down. 

"Relax? You're asking me to relax? Mahir everything depends on today's meet. And we need the cameras to be working when she gets here..." Bella was working herself up into a frenzy now. 

"Bella calm down! Look at me... Listen everything will be alright. Just relax..."Mahir once again tried to calm her down unsuccessfully. 

"But Mahir..."Bella's answering argument was cut off when Mahir placed his palm on her lips effectively shutting off the flow of words.  He pulled her close and hugged her tightly. She melted into his embrace, all the worries and anxieties, forgotten. She felt Mahir plant a light kiss on her forehead. Her eyes welled-up at his touch and she began to cry in earnest. 

The generator had still not kicked in and Mahir tried to get up to go and check it but Bella held on to him tightly. 

" Don't go, Mahir. It will come on when it has to." Bella's voice was strained with an unknown emotion. Mahir could not place it. He just sat there, feeling his shirt getting soaked because of her tears. He had never seen Bella so vulnerable. Not even when she had broken down in front of him when she found out that he had lied about his memory loss. Or not even when she had confessed that the lingerie was for Yuvi. This vulnerability was different. He felt as though she had bared her soul to him completely for the first time. He had suspected that maybe there were some monsters in her closet that he had not yet encountered. 

He could hear the security guards trying to get the generator to start. 

"Bella, what is it? You know you can tell me right?" Mahir asked her. He felt her shake her head. And heard a muffled it's nothing. He gave up after that. He would have to coax her out of it. But now was not the time. She was still crying, but quietly now. Finally, she looked up at him. She looked calm enough now. The wet patch on his shirt was the only evidence that she had been crying. If he didn't feel the wetness on his chest, he would have wondered if he had imagined the whole thing. Before he could say anything, she attacked him. 

He felt her grip his head tightly and kiss him with full force. It was unlike any of their previous kisses. After nearly a year of being married, he had not expected that she was capable of such urgency or force. He just sat there while Bella continued to kiss his lips, eyes, nose, cheeks, ears and any part of his face that she could reach. There was an edge to each of her kisses that he had neverexperienced before. 

"Bella, there are ca... Yuvi... Ma..." His words were cut off as she attacked him again one last time. But his words had reminded her that the entire family would be able to see them if the lights came on. She finally let go of him. Mahir was very concerned for her. 

"Bella, are you okay? What was that for? I am not complaining but..."

Just then Mahirheard something move outside the door of their room. Before he could react, the lights came on. Bella blinked in the bright light while Mahir stiffened. He saw Abu standing outside with a shocked expression on her face. Bella saw Mahir'sexpression change and turned to see Anu. Before either of them could react, Anu came inside the room tears streaming down her face. she had been standing there for quite some time now. Mahir hurriedly tried to straighten his crumpled shirt while Bella shot a guilty look at where the camera was hidden. 

"Wow, Mahir! Is this why you called me here? To show me this?" Anu's shrill voice was very annoying. 

Mahir and Bella looked at each other exasperated. They had expected Anu to create a scene and that was why she was told to come to the Sehgal House. They wanted to avoid a scene in a public place. Anu marched into their room and looked accusingly atMahir. 

"What is she doing here Mahir?" Anu asked shrilly. 

"This is my bedroom Anu. More appropriate question will be, what are YOU doing here?"Bella asked her calmly. 

Mahir looked at Bellaamused. He wondered if this was the same girl who was crying her eyes out just a few minutes ago, The moment Bella stepped between him and Anu, Mahir felt a sense of security steal over him. He felt like nothing could harm him. Before she could register what was happening, he had hugged Bella tightly from behind and had planted a light kiss on her shoulder. Anu looked even more affronted at this and Bella gave him an exasperated look, Mahir gave Bella an outrageous wink which Anu unfortunately saw. 

"What are you winking at her for Mahir?" Anu asked. 

"Why nothing of course! She is my wife, is she not? I can wink at her, hug her or even kiss her whenever I want. No one has any right to comment on it." Mahir replied cheekily. 

Bella subtly stepped on Mahir's foot to stop him from talking. Anu looked like someone had slapped her but her eyes were glinting maliciously.

"I don't think you should be here Bella." Anu began saying but was interrupted by Bella. 

"Why do you think so Anu? I mean, this my house, my own bedroom right? So what makes you say that I should not be here?" Bella asked her innocently. 

Anu was looking at Mahir to see if he showed any signs of discomfort but he showed none. His expressions were challenging her to go ahead. Taking a deep breath, Anu turned to Bella and gave her a sickly sweet smile. It was the kind of smile that made Bella want to punch Anu there and then but she controlled herself. 

"You see Bella, I and Mahir were supposed to meet today at Cafe Moonlight. But then he messaged me and told me to come home as we would have the whole house to ourselves. I think this message," she pulled out Mahir's Whatsapp text on her phone," very clearly states that he wanted to meet me alone.So..."

"So?" Bella questioned her.

"So I think you should honour his wish and leave us alone," Anu replied. 

Mahir looked furious at Anu's audacity. Bella could feel him shaking behind her. She squeezed his hand slightly to tell him that she had everything under control. She felt him relax a bit. 

"I am afraid, that's not going to happen," Bella told her pleasantly. "Whatever you want to say, you can say it in front of me. I am his wife after all."

"Yes Anu, go ahead and say whatever you want to say." Mahir seconded Bella's opinion.  

"You sureMahir? Do you really want me to say what I want to say in front of her?"Anu asked Mahir. 

Mahir nodded his head in affirmative. She looked puzzled at this. She had expected that Mahir would try to stop her but here he was encouraging her to continue. One thought crossed her mind that maybe Mahir thought that she would not say anything to Bella or maybe Bella would believe him over Anu. But Anu had already set her trap carefully, or so she thought. In the meantime, Bella was getting impatient because of Anu's schemes. 

"You did not answer my question Anu. Why are you here?" Bella asked her somewhat impatiently. 

"Mahir had messaged me. I have already shown you the message." Anu replied smugly. 

"Oh sorry! Let me rephrase. I meant to ask why were you both supposed to meet in the first place? As far as I know, you guys had never even met for coffee before." Bella was still smiling. 

"That's the point. As far as YOU know Bella. There are so many things that you don't know." Anu replied with relish. "For years you were nothing but a personal secretary to Mahir. Oops sorry! You were his mentee. You have lived in this really cosy illusionary world that you know your husband. But the fact is that there are so many things that you know NOTHING about. The ultimate truth is that you both got married quite accidentally. Mahir went from being your-be-brother-in-law to your husband literally in a matter of a few minutes. No matter how much in love you guys pretend to be, it will never change the fact that your fiancé ditched you on your wedding day and Mahir offered to marry you out of pity." Anu went on malevolently. 

"Shut up Anu! Just shut up! How dare you speak to Bella in this manner?" Mahir couldn't take Anu insulting Bella any longer. 

"The truth is always bitter Mahir. And you shutting me up will not change anything. Tell me, Mahir, was it not a marriage of convenience when this marriage was proposed? It does not matter that you guys went from we are just colleagues to we are so much in love that we cannot keep our hands off each other in a matter of hours..." Bella cut off Anu at this point before Mahir could start shouting at her again. 

"Anu if you think that you saying all this is going to hurt me, then you are so wrong. And anyway, I know all of this. Why don't you tell me something which I don't know?" Bella asked her calmly. Turning to Mahir, Bella said, "Mahir, let her say whatever she wants to say. She has kept this in for nearly one year. Let her get it all out. Continue Anu." 

Bella's calm demeanour infuriated Anu even more. She continued venomously. "Oh yes! You are aware of these things. But are you aware of the fact that your so-called perfect relationship was built on the grave of a relationship that did not even have a chance to take birth? Were you aware of the fact that I and Mahir..."

"Were supposed to get married? Yes, I am aware of it. I also know that it was a match that the elders had fixed and Mahir had never said yes to it." Bella cut her short. 

"Wow, so you do know this. You very conveniently remember that Mahir had never said yes to our marriage, but forgot that he had never rejected me either. It was an open situation. You, Bella Sharma, came in between me and Mahir." Anu was fairly screaming by now. 

"Let me remind you Anu that I am Bella Mahir Sehgal now. There is nothing that you can do about it now." Bella told her. 

"Yes. You are Bella Mahir Sehgal now. I had not forgotten that. But you know Bella, the relationship that you are so proud of was on the verge of collapsing just a few days ago. The husband that you claim to love so much was doubtful that you didn't love him. He had come to me seeking solace. It was me who comforted him while you were busy running away from him. And Mahir, don't act so high and mighty. You know just as well what all happened in the last few weeks. If I reveal that, Bella will ever forgive you." Anu's eyes were glinting maliciously at the lies. 

"What exactly are you not revealing Anu?" Bella egged her on. 

Anu looked at Mahirlooking for some signs of discomfort, but none came. Anu mistook Mahir'sconfidence as his arrogance that she would not reveal anything. She went on ,"So Bella, did you know that Mahir was doubtful of your love for him?"

"Of course! He has told me all about his confusion. Me running away from him did not help either. while I was trying to give him space to adjust, that felt like I was going away from him because I was uncomfortable around him. It did not help that you took full advantage of the situation and tried to convince him that I did not love him and had married him only to save my reputation. Not only that you also told him that we had no relationship between us while you both had been having an affair in the past one year." Bella rattled off the incidents one by one where Anu had tried to mislead Mahir. Anu looked stunned at this revelation. 

"Pick your jaw off the floor Anu. I know everything. You see, apart from being husband and wife, we are also friends. We share everything. So after he regained his memory, this is the first thing that he told me" Now it was Bella's turn to look at Anu with triumph. Anu looked confused, but not for long. The confusion in her eyes hardened into resolve and Bella braced herself for the onslaught. She knew that her knowing everything had stunned Anu and more than that displeased her. Her big bomb with which she had hoped to destroy their relationship had been rendered useless and Anu was now thinking on her feet.She would turn spiteful now. And there was no limit to which she will go to spite Bella. Anu, in the meanwhile, had been looking Mahir making him supremely uncomfortable. He knew nothing Anu said would any difference to Bella but still, the spite in Anu's eyes was discomforting. 

"Wow, Mahir! You saved yourself with this half-truth. Tried to convince you? My dear Mahir,I had convinced you. Bella, let me tell you the whole truth. He was convinced that you did not care for him. Not only that he was also convinced that we both had been having an affair. And since the affair had been going on for nearly a year, it was but obvious that we had... You know what I mean right? So it was not too difficult to convince him to resume our relationship." Anu said with relish.

Bella gave her a humourless smile. "Nothing happened Anu and you know it."

"Of course,you are in denial. It must be so difficult for you to digest the fact that Mahir cheated on you. I know it was unintentional, but it happened." Anu'sinsistence on lying was exasperating Bella. 

"Anu you still have time. Just say the truth and no one will know..." Bella beganbut was cut off by Anu. 

"No one will know? I feel everyone must know about how Mahir used me. I can even file a molestation case against him." 

"Enough Anu!We gave you a fair chance, to tell the truth, but not anymore. You just wait." Mahir said. 

"Wait for what Mahir? Either you resume our relationship or I will file a molestation complaint against you." Anu replied. 

"Your bother,Rehan holds a degree in law right? So let me ask him something. Rehan, will you join us here for a bit?" Bella looked straight at the camera and spokethese words. Anu looked puzzled for a bit but her expression turned to one of shock when Rehan along with Sumitra walked in. 

"So Rehan can Anu file a molestation case against Mahir if she had consented to the relationship?" Bella asked 

"Technically speaking she can, but with this video where she says that she initiated therelationship and where she is clearly seen blackmailing Mahir to resume therelationship, it will be very easy to prove that she had been lying. I would advise her to drop the idea as it would harm her in more ways than one." Rehan replied without looking at Anu even once. 

"Okay and tell me one more thing. Can I lodge a complaint against her for blackmailing and threatening my husband?"

"Yes, you can.Again this video will make it very easy for you to prove it." 

"Thank you, Rehan. Now let me show you something." Bella pulled out the video from the previous day where Anu had said that Mahir had never touched her. Rehan looked furious by the time the video ended. Anu, in the meanwhile, was beginning tolook scared. 

"So, you seeRehan, she has caused quite enough trouble as it is. I don't want to stretch this any further. Tomorrow I will show both the videos to Kuhu and the rest of the family. I think it would be better if you inform uncle and aunty of this.If I say anything to them, it will be insulting. I don't want to upset them or insult them. And please try and keep this girl away from our house and my family." 

Rehan nodded his head and lead Anu out of the room. Once Anu was out, Mahir turned to Sumitraand Bella. 

"Thank God!this is over."

"Yes. But we have a bigger battle to win tomorrow. Kuhu..." Bella said. 

"We will deal with it when we come to it," Sumitra told them. "It's not too late. Go out and celebrate this moment with each other I will make excuses for you both. Just go!"   

Edited by The.Wanderer - 4 years ago
The.Wanderer thumbnail

Okay, one point that I want to mention, when Anu asks Mahir do you think I am a??? I wanted to use the W word but IF didn't allow it. So please understand. 

asifiqbalsh thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Nice update dear 

Loved it

Behir talk was nice

MIL & DIL together in mission.

She took all recording of anu confession 

Finally Anu is out from their life.

Thanks for pm

Sorry for being late as I was very busy in last month.

nuomi.riceball thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Btw, is there any possibility that the other story is going to be updated, or is it just unfinished like that? 

The.Wanderer thumbnail

Originally posted by: nuomi.riceball

Btw, is there any possibility that the other story is going to be updated, or is it just unfinished like that? 

I am literally working overtime to finish these two stories. I will complete both the stories. Technically speaking Hate You Like I Love You is a complete story. Only one flashback is left.  

The.Wanderer thumbnail

Originally posted by: asifiqbalsh

Nice update dear 

Loved it

Behir talk was nice

MIL & DIL together in mission.

She took all recording of anu confession 

Finally Anu is out from their life.

Thanks for pm

Sorry for being late as I was very busy in last month.

Thanks, Asif. You sticking around means a lot to me really. And I am sorry for disappearing completely. Life is just so unpredictable at times. But I missed being away from my laptop though. I will post daily updates from now on. 

The.Wanderer thumbnail

Chapter 26 Yuvi’s Weird Behaviour

Next day, Bella along with Mahir and Sumitra told everything to Kuhu and others. Yuvi was behaving rather weirdly since the previous evening. Bella had tried to talk to him but he had avoided her questions. He was not present even when they spoke with Kuhu. Kuhu at first instance refused to believe that Anu had done something of the sort. But when the videos were shown to her, she was forced to believe BeHir. But rather than holding Anu responsible for the entire mess she held Bella responsible for everything. She believed that if Bella had never married Mahir in the first place, Anu would not have been forced to take such drastic measures. So the root cause was Bella according to her. When Mahir tried to defend Bella and make Kuhu see sense, RJ stopped him. It was no use talking to Kuhu when she was mad as RJ was very much aware. So he took Kuhu from there. Kuhu continued to sulk but rest everything came back to normal.

Mr Mittal called up Andy and apologised on behalf of his daughter. Andy and Bella graciously accepted his apologies. Bella’s only condition was that Anu should stay away from Sehgal House. That caused some more friction between Kuhu and Bella as now Kuhu couldn’t meet Anu at Sehgal House. Sumitra firmly supported Bella when Kuhu tried to create an issue out of it as did Maher and others. So Kuhu had to accept it. That also meant no more sleepovers for Anu and Kuhu when RJ was out of town. But nothing could be done about it. Yuvi’s behaviour continued to strike as odd to Bella but she ignored it. She tried to talk to him about it a couple of times but he was not ready to answer her questions.

After about a couple of weeks after the whole Anu fiasco got sorted, Andy called in Bella and Mahir to his room. “Bella, Mahir you both are doing a tremendous job of handling the business. I am so proud of you both. but especially of Bella. You have shone in this last year. It's satisfying to see the shy young girl of twenty one who stepped into my office nearly eight years ago blossom into this fierce tigress over the last few years. You have done Mahir proud. I was a bit dubious about your capabilities as a leader but Mahir had full confidence in his mentee and the result is right before us. So well done Bella!” Andy rarely heaped praises on anyone. So Bella knew just how precious his words were.

“Thank you, dad! This means a lot to me.” Bella was overwhelmed.

Mahir put a hand on her shoulder and smiled at her proudly.

“Bella as you must know, Sehgal Industries complete twenty-five years in this coming few weeks. I want to throw a grand party to celebrate the occasion. Can you make that happen?” Andy went on.

“Of course she can dad,” Mahir responded enthusiastically. “She can do anything.”

We can do anything, Mahir.”Bella corrected him.

Andy smiled at the two of them. This was something which he had never experienced. Or rather he had never given it a chance to develop.

“Okay, so, I want you both to organise a grand party and invite all our important investors and also our clients,” Andy told them.

BeHir nodded their heads in unison. Andy hesitated for a bit and Bella noticed.

“What is it dad?” she asked.

“Well dear, I know it will be awkward for you, but I also want to invite Vish Khanna. I...” Andy started saying something further but Bella interrupted him.

“Of course she will be invited dad. She is an important investor after all. I will personally call her and invite her so that she doesn’t feel awkward or anything. I will personally ensure that she feels comfortable. And also, I will get Suresh to send out custom made invites ASAP.” Bella assured him and Andy heaved a sigh of relief. He smiled at Bella fondly. It was hard to believe that just a few years ago this very girl was standing in front of him as an intern, all wide-eyed and awed by his very presence. And now nearly nine years later the same girl was assuring him.

He dismissed them and BeHir went out. As soon as they were out of the room, Bella turned to Mahir and began listing all the ideas that she had for the party. Finally, Mahir stopped her.

“Whoa there! Calm down, girl! This is no longer your job. You are the owner now. All you have to do is look pretty and give instructions. The organiser will do the rest. I had told you this when you became the CEO as well, but you didn’t listen to me even then.”

“But Mahir” Bella pouted. “But I love organising parties so much!”

Mahir shook his head and went away smiling to himself. If he knew her well, she would personally stress about every detail of the party. He sighed. There was nothing he could do about it. It was one of the qualities that he loved in her; her attention to the most minute of details. That is what had made the Sehgal bashes in the last few years legendary.

Bella waited for about two weeks before she dug up Vish’s number and called her. After a couple of rings, her phone was picked up (surprisingly) by a man whose voice was vaguely familiar to Bella. Bella’s introduction, ‘Hi! I am Bella Sehgal. May I speak with Vish Khanna please?’ was followed by a pregnant pause. It was so long that Bella thought that maybe she had lost connection with the other person. But after a long pause, the man spoke. His voice sounded a bit different now, kind of muffled. Bella was told thatVish was a bit busy just then and that she should call at a later hour. Bella promised to call in the evening and the man hastily disconnected the call. Although the call, the man sounded extremely nervous, quite unlike a secretary of an efficient woman like Vish Khanna would sound.

Bella pondered for a long time over the strange feeling of familiarity at the sound of that voice but then gave up eventually. That evening when she again called up Vish, she received the call and spoke quite normally with her. Apparently, her secretary had picked up the phone that morning. WhenBella informed her about the party that was happening about three weeks later, Vish politely declined the invitation stating that she was going to be out of town during that time. Bella assured her that it was fine and then disconnected the call wondering who the guy was? That’s when it struck her that probably that guy was Vish’s boyfriend and that’s why he was so nervous and that's why she had lied. Bella accepted her excuse at face value and that was that.

Next few days went in Bella stressing over every little detail of the party and Mahir trying his best to keep her sane throughout the whole process. She insisted on calling up every person on the guestlist personally to invite them to the party. Special invitations were sent out to the media as well.

Both Bella and Mahir were kept extremely busy and hence they barely had any time for each other. Both of them had mutually agreed that there was no time for anniversary celebrations and they would have to wait till after the party to broach the topic of a honeymoon cum anniversary vacation.

Two days before their anniversary, they both came home really tired out but happy. It had been a long day in the office with three back to back meetings. Bella wanted to talk to Yuvi about the security of the event and hence she went to his room to talk to him. There she found him chatting with someone on the video call. He shut off the laptop as soon as he saw her at the door. She dismissed his behaviour as normal. Maybe he didn’t want her to see the face of his latest fling, she thought.

She tried to talk to him about the security of the event and how she wanted the CCTV cameras to be positioned. When she looked at him, she found him distracted. She caught hold of his wrist and dragged him to their room, where Mahir had just freshened up and was stepping out of the bathroom. Mahir looked puzzled that Bella had dragged Yuvi to their room. Before Mahir could say anything, she pushed Yuvi onto their bed and shut the door and looked at him sternly.

“Yuvi, I don’t know what’s the matter with you, but you have been behaving very strangely since the day we confronted Anu. What’s the matter?”Bella got straight to the point as was her habit.

Yuvi looked a bit startled at the direct assault and was just fumbling for an answer when Bella added, “And it’s no use denying it. I know you are behaving weirdly, and I want to know why.”

Yuvi quit trying to come up with an excuse as he knew Bella well enough to know that nothing but the truth would satisfy her that day. And she knew him well enough to know when he was lying.

“Bella, I... I don’t know where to begin.” Yuvi said.

“Okay tell me, does it have anything to do with what Anu said?” Mahirasked him. Mahir had a faint inkling about why Yuvi was avoiding Bella and so he had done his best to dissuade Bella from questioning Yuvi regarding it because he knew that the topic would bring nothing but awkwardness between the three of them. But he was not sure that whatever he was thinking was right and so he had refrained from sharing it with Bella. And the result was that Bella was forcing Yuvi to talk about it. Well, it’s better to have it out in the open, Mahir thought as he watched Yuvi struggling to find words to describe what he was going through. Finally, Yuvi took a deep breath and started speaking.

“Bella, you want to know why I won’t look at you right?”

Bella nodded her head, her eyes fixed upon him intently.

“Here’s why. Because I am guilty. Because I can’t bear to look at you, knowing that my decision to run away landed you and bhai in this marriage. My actions led to you getting humiliated and being forced to marry a stranger because your bridegroom did not have the guts to fulfil his promise. It is a miracle that you both are happy together. But that does not erase the fact that this could have gone horribly wrong. You must be wondering what brought this on after nearly one year, am I right?  That day your relationship with bhai was questioned by Anu. She called it a marriage of convenience and taunted you both for being happy together. I gave her the chance and the opportunity to taunt you guys. I feel rotten to the core for being responsible for you guys getting taunted by the likes of Anu for no fault of yours. You Bella, she taunted you for something which I am solely responsible for. I ran away. I failed to honour the promise which I gave you. Why should you suffer? Yet, you are the one whois taunted by Anu, the aunties of the family, the society in general. Don’tthink I didn’t get to hear what all things bua had to say about you and bhai. After you guys disappeared from the wedding venue, she had come to ma complaining about the way you behaved with her. Obviously, everyone defended you. Dad had already heard your conversation with her. He was already very angry about the way bua had casually spoken about your and bhai’s relationship. So he told her off. And when she called you a gold digger, ma cut her off rudely. I have never seen Ma take a stand for herself but she did that for you. But me? I couldn’t even defend you, Bella. As soon as I opened my mouth, bua asked me a very vital question.” Yuvi paused for a breath.

“Which was?” Mahir prompted him to continue.

“She asked me if Bella was such a good girl, then why did I leave her in the first place? Why did I run away instead of marrying her? Since I did not go through with the marriage, there must be something wrong with her. Otherwise, why would anyone refuse to marry a girl who was as perfect as Bella? And bhai, I did not have an answer to her question. I just stood there while everyone defended the girl whom I had loved at one point, who was the reason my brother was happy in life, who had accepted my family like her own and whose character was being questioned because I was a coward. I had managed to convince myself that bua is a one-off case. She has herself led a frustrated life and so she gets vicious pleasure by commenting on other people’s life. But when Anu also said the same thing... I...”

“So that was why you were running away from us?” Mahir asked. He was not sure if bringing this up was a good idea. One look at Bella was enough to convince him that it had been a bad idea. She was looking beyond disturbed. She looked like she was in agony. Yuvi looked at Bella and was stunned by the look of raw pain in her eyes. He got up slowly and approached her. When Mahir tried to stop him, he waved away his hand.

“Bella, I know I have apologised to you before but that was just so dry. When I found out that you and bahi were married, I had simply said sorry for all that had happened and went away thinking that I had done my bit. I thought since bhai had married you, no one would bring up my cowardice ever again. It shocked me that bua and then Anu would use that to taunt you and to put you down. I didn’t know that would be brought up nearly a year later. And suddenly the word sorry seems so insignificant.” Yuvi was looking straight in Bella’seyes and saying these things. Bella could see guilt and self-loathing reflected in his eyes. Although he masked it well, she could see that the intensity of his pain was far more than what he let on.

Mahir felt like was intruding on something extremely private. The moment that the former couple shared was very private, and even though Mahir was Bella’s husband and Yuvi’s elder brother, he felt that moment was between the two individuals involved and not for a third person to see. He murmured some excuse and was about to leave the room when both Yuvi and Bella caught hold of his wrists and stopped him.

Mahir trying to leave had broken the moment and both looked away, embarrassed. Yuvi went back to the bed while Bella went and stood near the window. An eerily discomforting silence filled the room. Mahir tried to think up something, anything that would break the silence but he couldn’t come up with anything. Near the window, Bella was trying to hold off her tears as painful images flashed through her mind. All the taunts that she had heard after she chose to marry Mahir came back to her. All the judgements that they had passed on her character for hopping from one brother’s bedroom to another brother's bedroom came back to her. The headline of next day’s newspaper seemed to taunt her. The fact every Tom Dick and Harry had something to say about her most private moments was not something she could ever forget. She had never let it affect her. Whenever someone said something of the sort, she would pass it off as a joke, never showing anyone, not even Mahir or Suhani the extent to which it affected her. She wanted to break down, cry her heart out just this once. But she had one last question to ask before she shut down this topic forever. Bella took a deep breath and with great difficulty controlled her voice and asked, “Why did you leave Yuvi?”

Mahir and Yuvi looked at her, surprised that she was actively pursuing that topic. She turned away from the window and faced them, her expressions well under control. Mahir moved towards her but she stopped him. Yuvi was looking terrified at the thought of answering her question. Bella repeated the question.

“Tell me Yuvi, why did you run away that day? Don’t get me wrong, I am glad that we are not married but I need to know what prompted you to ditch me?”

“Bella I... I will answer your question. Do you remember you had seen me come out of Vish Khanna’s room? You had come to my room and told bhai that you couldn’t marry me after what you had seen. I had tried to convince that you that nothing untoward had between me and Vish. But no one believed me and rightly so. My record was such that believing me would have been foolishness. You know how bhai convinced you to marry me. What you don’t know is what followed after that. After you had banged the door after you bhai ”

FLASHBACK

Yuvi winced at the loud bang. His head was beginning to throb now with so much alcohol and then his thoughts churning in his head.  He was feeling immensely confused. ‘On one hand, I love Bella,’ he thought ‘and want her and on the other hand, I am not ready to let go of my free and single life. The desire to have one last fling before I settle down is still there. I had thought that as my wedding day approached that I would miraculously lose this desire but it was still very much there. So, if I still want to be with other girls, then whatever I felt for Bella, was that love? Wasn’t love supposed to miraculously cure all the other desires? Didn’t love mean that you spend the rest of your life in one person’s arms?

If that was so, then why hadn’t Bella brought out that side in me? What was wrong with Bella? Why couldn’t she bring out the loyal side in me?’ As soon as he asked himself this question, it answered itself. There was NOTHING wrong with Bella. She was perfect. She was the girl who worked tirelessly to ensure that his brother led an easy life. She was the same one who loved and adored his mother. She was the same girl who had accepted his abnormal family situation without judging. She was the one had helped him out of countless sticky situations, even when she didn’t approve of any of them only so that her boss and his brother and ultimately his family did not get embarrassed. She had supported him unconditionally during their engagement period. She had kept many of his minor to moderate transgressions from reaching any of his family members so that he would not get embarrassed.

She had been a true partner to him even as he hurt her by his behaviour. He had never realised that his behaviour was hurting her. He had always assumed that he would miraculously turn a loyal and dutiful husband overnight and then he would make up for any hurt that he had caused her but before he got tied down, he wanted to have as much fun as he could. But while having the time of his life, he had conveniently forgotten that loyalty was a virtue that was to be practised daily, every hour, every minute. It was not something that would materialize out of thin air. And even if he did vow to remain loyal to Bella now, it would not matter in the slightest. It would matter when two years later he would wake up one morning, bored with his daily routine and would have a strong urge to flirt with one of the sexy models that he was shooting. Would he be able to control the urge to have one small date with her? He didn’t have an answer to that question.

He remembered Andy and Polo. Was it his mother’s fault that his father married a second time around? NO. It was solely his father’s fault. He was very much like his father in that aspect. So, no. The answer to his previous question would be, no, he would not be able to resist the urge to have a little fun. And god knows what that fun might lead to...

Just then there was a knock on his door. He managed to stumble to the door and after some efforts opened it to find Vish standing there holding his shirt. She had covered her eyes and was holding out his shirt to him. As soon as he saw her, a strange sense of calm stole over him. He smiled at her childish antics and pulled off her hand that covered her eyes.

“You have already seen me shirtless. Now why have you covered your eyes?” he asked her.

She cautiously opened her eyes and gave a sigh of relief when she saw him. She was finding it very difficult to even stand. Yuvi steadied her and made her sit on the edge of his bed. He offered her a glass of water which she clumsily drank. He had grabbed his shirt from her hand and now proceeded to put it on as he repeated his question.

“You didn’t tell me why had you covered your eyes?”

Vish giggled and replied, “Because I thought you would be naked. You had told me that you generally sleep naked so...” She giggled again.

“Hmmm”

He continued his chain of thoughts. He was barely paying attention to Vish now. 

“So, why aren’t you naked?” Vishasked him suddenly.

“What?” Vish’s question startledYuvi.

“I mean, why aren’t you sleeping?”Vish corrected herself.

“Because I am confused.” He replied.

“Confused? Why?” she asked him.

“I am confused because I am not sure if I want to marry Bella or no.” Yuvi blurted out the truth.

Vish looked at him with big roundeyes and answered, “You said yes to marriage with her. You guys will be going round round around the fire in a few hours. This is no time for confusion.”

“I know yet I am confused,” Yuvi told her. “I know I should be loyal to her. I should not even think of some other girl other than her but still, I do.”

“You do what?” Vish asked him with a somewhat tender expression.

“I think of another girl. Someone who is not Bella. I am thinking about her...” Yuvi replied looking straight into her eyes.

“Who?” Vish whispered.

“You!” Yuvi whispered back.

“What is it that you think about me?”Vish asked him while stroking his jaw lightly.

“I am thinking about how beautiful you are! You have such nice and soft lips.” His hands automatically gravitated towards her lips. He lightly touched them and she parted her lips under his tender touch. “I wonder what it would be like to kiss you... To hold you close...”

Both of them were leaning towards each other and their breathing had sped up. Suddenly Vish leaned in and kissed Yuvi. He was startled at first but then responded to her kiss. The kiss was all too brief yet so tender. Yuvi considered himself an expert at kissing. Yet this particular kiss was different. None of his previous kisses, not even the one she shared with Bella had invoked in him such a plethora of emotions. None of them had filled his heart with so much warmth and happiness.

“Now you know,” Vish told him when they parted.

“But I shouldn’t! I shouldn’t be doing this. I am getting married to Bella in a few hours.” Yuvi said guiltily. First of all, Vish was drunk and was not entirely in her senses. Her consent didn’t mean anything. And second thing was that at the time when his thoughts should have been full of the girl he was about to marry, he was making out with a stranger whom he had met just a few days ago.

“Hmmm” Vish looked thoughtful as she made the next statement, “You know what I think? I think you are confused because technically speaking, you should be thinking about Bella right now. But you are thinking about me. You should be dreaming about Bella but you are kissing me. That is what is causing your confusion. Am I right? Hmmmmm...  Do you know what that means? It means that you don’t love her. You like her...” Vishwas on the verge of passing out now. She continued to mumble as Yuvi lowered her onto his bed. Within moments she was asleep.

He looked at her and then thought about the statement that she had made in her drunken state. She was perhaps right. He liked Bella and but didn’t love her. Or maybe he did love her in his way but it was not enough to make a lifelong relationship out of it. Either way, he was not sure that he wanted to marry Bella. The more he thought about it, the more uncomfortable it made him. He didn’t want to marry Bella. He didn’t know why, but he knew this for sure. He was not ready to commit himself to Bella.

As soon as this thought struck him, he was stunned. Now that the confusion was over, he had to take a call. Technically speaking he should go and talk to Bella and let her know that he didn’t want to marry her. But then he couldn’t. He was afraid to face her and her questions. He was afraid to face his family members who would surely blame him for ruining a girl’s life. He was very afraid to face the drama that would follow.

So the best thing would be to run away. ‘Yes,’ he thought. ‘I will go away from here for a few days. If the bridegroom is not around how will the marriage happen? Yes, I will go away for some time. I will come back once everything has calmed down a bit.’

As soon as he had decided this, he began to pack his bag. He grabbed some t-shirts, some jeans, his wallet and whatever else his frenzied mind could think of. He had to move fast before the household woke up. He was feeling guilty for leaving Vish on his bed. Next day when Mahir would eventually find her in his room, he was going to assume the worst. But he trusted Mahir to not insultVish. He wrote a quick note to Mahir explain what he was about to do. In that note, he also asked Mahir to not say anything to Vish as she was not at fault. He hoped that Mahir would manage the situation just like he had managed everything so far and exited the room.

FLASHBACK ENDS

Bella kept staring at him for a long time after he had stopped talking. She was feeling kind of relieved now that everything was out in the open. She looked at Mahir and saw that he was looking at her anxiously. She gave him a reassuring smile and went to where Yuvi was sitting.

“Yuvi, I have just one more question. After that, we will never speak of this again. You need not feel guilty of anything. Although you were wrong, you did me a great favour by running away that day. I am just glad that you realise that it was the wrong thing to do.” Bella’s words consoled Yuvi to some extent. She continued, “Tell me, how did Ravi end up in your car that day if you didn't away with her?”

“Bella, did you think that I had run away with Ravi?” Yuvi asked her.

“It was obvious! You went missing. And then even she was missing. We just put two and two together.” Mahir told him.

“Bhai we didn’t run away with each other. Just as I was leaving the house she caught me. She threatened to scream if I didn’t tell where I was going. So I had to tell her the truth. She then convinced me that my running away would be more convincing if she accompanied me. I knew that I didn’t have much time. So I agreed to her plan.” Yuvi explained.

“And the accident?” Bella asked Yuvi.

“Oh, that! I was heavily drunk and on top of that sleepy. I lost control of the car and it crashed.” Yuvi was avoiding looking at Mahir when he said this.

Before Mahir could whack Yuvi for his carelessness, Bella intervened.“Now that I know everything, we will never bring this up. Do you understand?” she said looking sternly at the two of them.

Both the boys nodded their heads meekly and Yuvi went out of the room. As soon as Yuvi was out of their sight Bella went as hugged Mahir tightly. Mahir hugged her back. They remained like that for a long time.