Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Flame_of_Forest thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago
Part 5

Vivek is the leader of the whole gang, holding the good guy and bad guy personality, I mean good businessman and politician in front of the society while being the don of the underworld, I had sensed it when he was extra polite in sharing his gratitude to Geet in the hospital. He must be the one who has planned the first encounter..

but Is he real Uncle to Maan, as in blood related, and how much does Maan know about all this or about him. Is he just taking the orders like a contract killer or something more.
In the end he referred as us like you are threat to all of us. anyway we will come to know that in further chapters.

so coming to this update,

Geet has been courageous and helpless too, trying to remain calm with threat to her own life lurking around..trying to get out of the situation as she eavesdrop on whats going on, and when she found the reality of Vivek, the immediate reaction was natural that of shock and wanting to expose him.
Nonetheless she is trying all possible ways of saving herself, of convincing that she will remain silent, warning them about her brother, of trying to change Maan's heart through her talks.

While Vivek seems to more callous person, Maan is not completely, he has learnt to not get emotionally involved, and still it did affect him at least a little, he has not said much but the changes in his mind reflect in his actions and that proves that not everything has died in him..Geet pushed him towards that soft side with her words.

I loved her words, "Have you never wanted to save a life before?" Did he remember the girl from the photos in his mobile..was he unable to save her that time.

and now most importantly why did he put that condition, was it to save her, or because he got attracted to her or to take advantage of her relation, her brother being in Police and all...really curious to know what is going on in his mind.

it is a wonderful update, there is action, there is suspense, there is violence which is little scary, but behind all these there are human emotions and there is this rapidly changing dynamics between Maan and Geet.

Twenty1st thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Chap 5

Sorry late again

I'd hate to be Geet right now, kidnapped; stranded and lost. Maan sure doesn't make for a good picture but lets just say he sure does excite me. i love a good gangster story; ofcourse with romance.

A question: why was Geet in the van? Why did Meera change shifts? Is she anyway connected? Maybe thinking way above the waterpoint lol

Vikram? I was so lost at first then remembered he is the politician that came to applaud Geet for her bravery after the shooting, or has he the man that was shot? No i think he's the politician. maybe i need to read again. Anyway that what raised the question, it was as if they were testing Geet and if my memory serves well (at times it doesn't as you can see lol) then i remember it was Meera who called in a favour, that exact favour now has landed Geet where she is? So was Meera in the plot

the end was like OMG, now i get how they end up being married. maan's a clever little sod; he marries the woman he is interested in and Geet gets to stay alive condiering how she knows such high importance knowledge of their family business lol

thank you and do keep updating😃
-jaanleva- thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Chapter 6 - A wicked game

She stared back at him in disbelief.

"Have you lost your mind?" she whispered.

"He wants me to kill you. You have to marry me. If I let you go, you'll expose us to the world. Especially that policeman brother of yours. Who is probably already searching for you as we speak." Maan took a step closer, his poker face intact. "It's your only option."

"But why on earth would I marry you? How can I? I don't even know you. You kill people for a living!" She sighed deeply, her mind in a frenzy. "Besides, I'm in love with someone else."

"We'll deal with that. I can either pierce a bullet through you right now, or you can be my wife."

"I won't breathe a word. You have my promise, Maan." The tears flew hot and heavy from her eyes. "Please don't do this to me. I have a whole life to live."

His eyes narrowed slightly at the sound of his name coming from her mouth. Then he recomposed himself. "It is what it is. Your options are clear."

They remained still for a few moments. Geet stared at the ground in shock, trying to comprehend what was being asked of her. Maan watched her closely, his head tilted to one side.

Eventually, she looked up at him and with resignation, walked past him and back along the path they had just walked. Not a word was spoken, but he tucked his gun back into his holster and followed her. 

As soon as they approached the farmhouse, Maan took hold of Geet's arm.

"What are you doing?"

He didn't speak a word, but led her towards the back of the house. There were empty stables, and Geet realised what he was doing as soon as he began to walk towards the furthest one.

She began to drag her feet, physically protesting.

"Do as I say!" Maan exclaimed, becoming more and more frustrated.

"I'll marry you but don't lock me in here, I'm not an animal! This is insane! What about your patient? You can't do this!"

He pushed her in, sending her flying to the floor amidst the hay. He began to lock the gate, but Geet jumped up and grabbed his hands with hers. She looked up at him with fear and desperation.

"Please don't do this," she whispered. "I'll marry you, but don't cage me away like I'm an animal."

"I'll let you out in a few hours."

Her soft pleas turned into bitter anger. "You are inhumane. You disgust me. I wish I could vanish and never have to be around your toxic presence ever again."

Maan simply walked away, tucking the key into his pocket.

She didn't know how long it had been since she'd been in the stable, but the warm autumnal afternoon sun had turned into a chilly, crisp night. She sat against a pile of hay, her arms wrapped around her legs, and rested her eyes for a few moments. Moments that turned into hours.

It was 2am when Maan arrived to open the gate.

He saw her, with her arms wrapped around her black trousers, her hair dishevelled. He tapped the key against the gate once, and then twice to wake her up.

She shot up straight, staring at him. 

"Come and wash your face. I brought food."

"I'm not hungry."

"You can either get some fresh air, or stay here until the morning. I'm not going to plead with you."

He walked off, and Geet contemplated her options. It was dark, there was still a chance to escape. He had changed his clothes, which indicated he had gone away somewhere and then returned. His men were probably asleep, or occupied with the patient. 

She peeked her head around the gate. He was walking off into the night, his all black outfit blending in with the darkness. 

She spotted a mirror and a sink against the wall. Deciding to at least nourish her body with water, she walked to the sink and gathered water in her hands, taking a few sips. 

Geet tipped her head over and ran her wet hands over the back of her neck. She straightened up again, facing the mirror, and wet her hands again to run them over her neck. Fishing a hair tie from her pocket, she pulled the rest of her hair up and it was then that she realised he had been stood there, a few feet away, watching her the entire time. 

His hands were in his pocket, his head tilted to one side. Expressionless though he was, his dark eyes had softened.

She stopped, her hands mid-air, nestled in her hair.

"Is there a problem?" she asked.

He didn't speak, but his eyes remained on her.

She strode up to him, her eyes ablaze with fury. "Is that why you've kidnapped me? Is that the reason behind your persistence on our marriage? You've seen a shiny new toy, you want to take her home?"

Maan looked away, his jaw twitching. "Don't flatter yourself," he spat out. 

She pointed a finger at him. "Don't come near me. Don't even touch me."

He smirked. "I wouldn't dream of it. We're leaving in the morning."

"Leaving? To go where? And what about the patient?"

"He's been taken care of."

"Is he dead?"

"Do you ever stop asking questions?"

"Are you ever going to give me answers? Or is it just going to be these constant riddles that I can make no sense of?"

He motioned towards the porch. "Do you want your food or not?"

"I'd rather die of starvation than eat anything that you provide for me," she spat bitterly, before voluntarily walking away back to the stable which she had been occupying. 

The events of the next morning were a monotonous blur for Geet. She recalled being woken up. 

She was given water. 

A jacket was placed over her shoulders. 

Her feet seemed to move robotically behind his footsteps as he led her away from that ill fated farmhouse and towards the car. 

A car. 

She didn't remember any of its details; the make, the model, the colour. She was in the front seat, then out of it, then led up a path and inside a house.

When her conscious brought her back to reality, she was stood in front of five horrified faces.

"Maan. Are you going to explain this, or are you going to send me senile? asked his mother. Beside her stood Manyata, her eyes flicking back and forth between her brother and Geet. 

To his mother's left hand side stood his aunt, Priya and her daughter, Avni. 

It was then that the fifth face arrived. Vivek. His fists curled at the sight of the girl that he had ordered to kill being alive and well under his own roof.

Vivek stormed past everyone, squared up to Maan and spat out three words from his gritted teeth.

"My office. Now."

Geet felt the penetrating eyes of the four women. She didn't dare look around for an escape route; although she had been numb during her journey from the farmhouse to the mansion, she had been aware of the security guards that they had surpassed.

The small, flashing green light in the corner of the room that they were stood in.

The glass cupboard showcasing rifles.

She swallowed the sudden lump in her throat and remained frozen. It felt as if her feet were stuck to the ground.

Suddenly, Maan's mother stepped forward and plastered a smile onto her face. "You need to rest. Let's have a lie down."

Geet's instinct was to move back. She shook her head. "I'm perfectly fine."

"I insist. She turned to Manyata, silently motioning with her eyes. Manyata's attention however, was fixated on the man who had just arrived into the house. Priya nudged Avni, who took a glance towards her husband then looked away.

Before Neil, the man whose appearance had distracted Manyata could question anyone on the new arrival in the house, Geet was led upstairs by Smriti and Manyata.

They entered a room which appeared to be Maan's. It was devoid of colour, or personality. It had the essentials that were needed. Geet shivered at the chill in the air that she felt as soon as she stepped into the room.

Smriti locked the door behind her and then turned on Geet. "Who are you, and why has my son brought you here?"

"You know the answer better than I do."

"Don't play smart with me. I want the truth, and I want it right now. What has been going on?"

Geet looked Smriti directly in the eye. "Ask your beloved son why he kidnapped a doctor from her workplace, kept her captive in a farmhouse for two nights, deprived her of the basics and then dragged her to the woodlands and forced her to agree on marrying him at gunpoint."

Smriti took a step back. "What are you talking about?"

"Look, all I want to do is go home. Whatever is going on here, I want no part in this. You have to convince him to let me go. This is sheer insanity."

"Did you lure him in?"

Geet scoffed. "Lure him in?"

"With your beauty, your powers of seduction. You saw a young man with status, power, money. Is that what you're after? Is this alliance going to benefit you in some way?"

"Now you're crossing the line."

"I've seen your kind before."

"Oh, so he does this regularly? It explains why he's so cold hearted, unaffected and quite frankly, psychotic. Just so we're absolutely clear, the mere thought of being anywhere near your son makes me sick to my stomach. I'm a doctor. I save lives. As far as I'm aware, he takes them. The sight of that man makes me coil with nothing but disgust. So please, I suggest you stop insulting me before you and I have a real problem on our hands."

Manyata stared between her mother and the woman her brother had brought home, fire blazing from both of their eyes. They would have remained like that as neither would have been willing to back down; if Maan hadn't have walked into the room.

"We're going shopping."

"Who is going shopping?" his mother asked, her eyes unwavering from Geet.

"All of us. She needs a wedding dress."

Smriti turned towards her son. "Why? Maan, are you please going to explain-"

"We're getting married. She needs a wedding dress. I won't repeat myself. Let's go."

He stood by the door, his cold eyes focused on the floor. His demeanour was enough of an answer for Smriti to know that he wasn't going to respond to any further questions. She walked out of the room, followed by Manyata. 

Geet forced her now heavy feet towards the door. As she passed Maan, she shot him a deathly glare. His expression remained as stoic as ever.

As he drove the car through the city, his mind replayed the conversation he had with Vivek.

Vivek was his uncle; albeit not by blood, but he had been told that he was a distant relative of his mother's. Vivek had taken Maan, Smriti and Maan's younger brother, Dev, in when their father had been tragically killed when Maan was 12.

Even to this date, 18 years on, his spine shivered at the memory of his father's lifeless body in his arms.

'Maan, you have 60 seconds exactly to explain why she is still alive. My orders were clear. I wanted her dead.'

'She knows too much. Her brother is in the force. Her death would be treated as suspicious. It would have been traced back to us. Her survival is more paramount to us now than-'

'I have spent my entire life evading the eyes of the police. Do you not think I would not know how to save us? Are you undermining my ability?'

'I did what was best.'

Vivek narrowed his eyes as he looked at Maan. 'Is this for your own desires?'

'What?'

'Do you desire the girl? Are you attracted to her? She's put up quite a fight with you. Is that what has drawn you to her?'

'Don't belittle me. Why would I willingly choose to marry the sister of a police officer? Isn't her brother going to be all over us when he finds out she mysteriously disappeared and has suddenly emerged days later, married into one of the most secretive families of the city? Our marriage is going to create problems, yes, but they are problems we can manage. Her death, we could not. I couldn't let her walk free; she knows too much. It's the only option I had.'

'You created this mess. You need to get yourself out of it. When do I need to be present for these said nuptials?'

'Tomorrow evening.'

The car rolled to a stop outside the bridal shop. No one moved.

"The shop closes in half an hour," Maan said. "So be quick."

Smriti bit back her tongue and climbed out, followed by her daughter. 

Maan looked at Geet's forlorn expression through the rearview mirror.

"Are the dresses going to come to you?"

"I'm not wearing a wedding dress."

"Now is not the time for your games."

"I could say the same to you, but then you're accustomed to thinking that people's lives are a game."

He smirked coldly. 

She looked away in disgust before getting out of the car.

Geet remained motionless throughout the entire process. Several dresses were given to her to try on; not a word had come out of her mouth. She had silently gone inside the dressing room, came out with the dress on, and repeated the process. 

Smriti had suggested an extravagant dress, which came out at the hips in never ending tufts of white feathered fabric.

It was the last dress they were being allowed to try before closure.

"Let me know if you need me," the assistant repeated in a monotone voice, perplexed at the robotic nature of the bride to be but decided not to question it further.

Geet entered the dressing room. She shut the door. She inspected the dress. She set it aside.

She turned her back to the window, which she had been slowly dislodging each time she had entered to try a dress on. This time, with her prayers and silent pleas, it creaked open.

As silently as she could, one leg went through the window. And then the next. She was sat on the ledge, and lay herself down as she managed to slide out through the gap. Her back felt bruised with the friction against the stone wall, but it was a small price to pay for her freedom.

She ran. Without thought, logic or hesitation. She ran down the street, turned the corner, looking for a telephone box or a taxi or something, anything, which would take her back to her brother, Ayaan, the hospital, a place of comfort and security and safety and-

She collided into a pair of arms, which steadied her around her waist. 

Edited by -jaanleva- - 5 years ago
Kkiran thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Wow this is insane turn of events I mean marrying a strannger to save ur life and then trying to run away and then colliding into the same person I think.  Maans mom doesnt seem nice already.
khwaishfan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7
Chapter 6

stupendous update! terrifically written! 

Feeling for Geet! she has no choice and her life is turned upside down! Maan is so harsh on Geet! but at least he arranged food for Geet! 

hate how his mom accuses Geet! 

so Maan is obliged to Vivek! 

is Maan only marrying Geet cos she knows too much or is he attracted to her?

great that Geet managed to escape!! 

but seems like she ran straight into Maan's arms! 

update soon! 

Twenty1st thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Chap 6

Maan is such an insensitive jerk, basically deal you being heartbroken or being killed. How callous? Why the proposal, is it because he likes her? Or does he hold a heart that's probably a little human considering his killing job role? I feel for Geet, what a predicament to be in?  How can she agree to marry him but then its life or death, and quite literally in her case lol. I hate myself for finding the funny in such a situation too, but like I previously mentioned I too like tales as such. It excites the bored blood within lol. Hit men and their female victims are my weakness lol

Oh gosh, I so feel for Geet being locked within a stable, why though? Like Geet asked what about the old man? Did Maan no longer care, was keeping Geet safe far more important now because I clearly remember the uncle asking for her death. Was this a secret he shall keep?

So Maan took her to meet the family, Vivek is the uncle isn't he? So would this cause a family riot lol, would the uncle turn against his nephew for opposing his orders, will? You know what I shall freeze the questions and just read lol

Does Manyatta like Neil, her cousin Avini's husband, please say no. I hate infinity and more so when it breaks families? Maybe that's what that causes the uncle to turn against his nephew, after all a hurt father can be vindictive.  My theory is that the men that were after Geet and Maan were Vivek, if it isn't then my assumptions fail lol

The mother is clearly disillusioned, she does realise her son is a cold-blooded murderer which makes him instantly undesirable especially for smeone like Geet whose a doctor, why would she?

Vivek is looking shady by the minute. But can I just question wasn't Maan's younger brother called Vicky as per chapter 3 or 4 (I think when he steps out to get food). Hence I recall no dev, unless Vicky was born after his father's death? Was it a murder?

So swifty maan explains it and it makes sense, but even a fool would know Maan is interested IN Geet lol. I like Geet never give up attitude, she tried running away but looks like Maan's found her at the nick of time, I am hundred percent sure it is him, there's no denying it. If its not him then that'll be a shocker, for her sake I hope it is and for my sake I hope not. I want to know how they amrry and what happens afterwards lol

Thank you and already waiting for 7

Sorry for being late

aparna3011 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
superb update
geet told about real face of maan to his mother n sister
maan took three of them for wedding dress shopping 
geet run but cought by maan again 
sanum23 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 12 Thumbnail + 7
Geet given no options but to marry Maan 
Vivek question Maan but he convince him that killing hr put them in mess 
 Geet trying to run and collid with Maan hope so
Flame_of_Forest thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Part 6

It is clear now that, with her in picture his mind could not comply to the orders given by Viivek, he came up with this idea and used it to convince not only Vivek but himself as well.

sure it was one of the best options he had to save everyone from his group and also to save her, but as Vivek said with his power he could have easily swept the matter under the rugs even if they had to kill her. and seems Maan too holds the power in their business that Vivek could not turn down this decision.

I feel that Maan is definitely attracted, but that is not the only reason, he somewhere related it to the earlier similar situation with the photo girl, at the same time Geet's word impacted too and then he let the emotions take over his mind this one time and came up with the marriage option.

Maan's mother did not believe that her son could force someone to marry him. His sister too did not. Rather they had doubts on Geet's intentions and were furious when she let the truth out. It is not that they are unaware of what business the men are into, when the outsider Geet could easily spot the guns loaded in the cupboards.

Geet is protesting in her own ways for the marriage, trying to escape and run, but time is not in her favor and looks like he has once again caught her.
-jaanleva- thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Chapter 7 - Until death do us part

She looked up into his eyes. He tightened his grip around her waist.

"I'm always one step ahead of you."

"Let me go, please," it came out as a whisper as she bit her lip, holding her tears back. "Are you not a human?"

"That's debatable. We're in public, let's not cause a scene. Come on."

"Please."

He looked into her eyes. "I chose not to kill you. I saved your life."

"I wish you wouldn't have."

They remained that way, in silence, for a few seconds, then he loosened his hands around her waist. Putting his arm around her shoulder, he led her back to the car.

He rang his mother. "She's with me. We need to get back home. I'll pick up a dress tomorrow morning."

Smriti and Manyata climbed into the car; with the former huffing in exasperation.

"Maan, this is a joke. A joke which all of us have become unwillingly involved in. Are you going to explain what is happening? What does your uncle have to say about this?"

"He knows everything."

"Oh, I'm sure he does. No doubt you have his full support and backing in this reckless, impulsive behaviour of yours. After all, you did learn from the best." Smriti gritted her teeth at the thought of Vivek. Happy families was a faade they upheld; the truth was far more bitter and damaging beneath.

The rest of the drive home was deathly silent. Manyata had ran from the car to the bathroom, stating she suddenly felt ill. Maan led Geet by her wrist back up to his bedroom, passing Neil and Avni whose eyes remained fixed on them.

"Who is she?" Neil asked, his brows furrowed in confusion.

"Maan's soon to be bride."

He turned towards his wife. "Is that why you've started drinking already? I can smell the alcohol from here."

"Don't start. I'm not in the mood for your nonsense."

"And I'm not in the mood for your excuses. I've got somewhere to be. Don't wait up."

Avni's eyes remained fixed on Maan and Geet ascending the stairs, then she turned away.

Manyata looked at her expression in the mirror. Her face had turned a ghostly pale; drops of sweat formed on her face. The ride home had ignited her sickness, and she tenderly touched her growing belly as she wondered how long she would be able to keep her secret to herself before someone found out. 

She didn't want to keep it a secret any longer. The past seven months had been nothing but torture for her. And he'd promised her it wouldn't be. Once the baby was born, he'd vowed to tell the truth and announce his intentions of starting a life with her.

It was the only bit of hope she was holding onto.

A knock on the bathroom door startled her. 

"One second!"

She patted her face with a towel and opened the door to see Geet.

Geet saw the expression on the young girl's face and her natural instinct of concern took over.

"Are you okay?"

Manyata simply nodded and brushed past her, retreating to her room. Geet watched her leave, paying particular attention to the way she was walking.

Smriti had been sipping her coffee in the living room when the sight of Vivek and Suhana entering the house left a different kind of bitter taste in her mouth.

"Vivek," she called out, demanding his attention when she knew he was actively avoiding her. "A word, please." Her eyes shot to Suhana. "In private."

Vivek motioned for Suhana to go to his office and wait for him there. Vivek approached Smriti, his hands firmly in his pockets.

"Yes?"

"What is happening with Maan?"

"He's marrying the girl he's brought home."

"Is this another one of your twisted schemes?"

Vivek smirked, a smirk she was all too familiar with. "You think he's an angel sent on earth."

"He is. He always will be. Nothing will taint that for me. Especially not your dirty mind games and inhumane tactics."

He stepped closer, so their words couldn't be overheard. "He's mine just as much as he is yours. Never forget that. I have as much of a right over him as you do, if not more. Remember your place, woman."

He stalked off, leaving a chill in the air with his words and his presence. Smriti sank back down onto the sofa, regretting the day that Vivek had ever entered her life.

It had been a sleepless night for Geet. And thankfully, a lonely one too. Maan hadn't returned home during the night, and only walked in at 7am, five hours before their wedding nuptials. 

He walked into his bedroom to find it empty, but the sound of the shower in the bathroom assured him that she hadn't escaped. Setting aside her dress which he had collected, his feet stalked towards the door but paused when the shower had stopped.

The door was slightly ajar, and he could just about make out her figure wrapped in a pink towel. Her hair was down and loose, but when she caught his eye, her expression turned into rage.

"Get lost!" And the door slammed shut on his face.

He simply sat on the edge of the bed, inspecting his surroundings. His bed was untouched; a blanket lay on the floor. Nothing else had moved. Not even the glass of water that had been left for her on the bedside table.

She came out, in a t shirt and jeans, to find the wedding dress laid out on the chair next to the wardrobe.

Geet looked from the dress to Maan.

Maan watched her expression carefully. 

She walked towards the dress, as slowly as a tiger hunting its prey. Her back stiffened as she unzipped the cover. The fluffy white dress which came out at the hips lay before her.

She touched the white feathers ever so gently, inspected the mesh fabric of the sleeves. And then, in one swift movement, she pulled at the fabric and tore it apart.

"You crazy woman!" he yelled as he grabbed at her hips, trying to pull her away. "That dress cost a fortune, you have to wear it today!"

"I'm not marrying you!" she screamed, her hands still causing whatever damage they could.

He lifted her in the air but she kicked against him and tried to bite his arm. 

"Stop it, stop moving!"

She stilled in his arms when the struggle became unbearable, and fell to the floor in convulsing sobs. His arms remained around her, but he backed away when he felt her body shake with tears.

After a few moments of silence, she heard the words: Be ready by 11.30.'

And then the door closed.

It was 10am when there was a knock on her door. 

She ignored the first knock, and then the second, but was surprised when a head peeked around the door after the third knock.

"Can I come in?" Vicky asked.

Geet hadn't seen him since she had been brought from the farmhouse. She nodded, and he walked in with a small pre paid phone.

"Maan wants you to call your brother and let him know that you're safe. He-" He faltered before continuing. "He wants you to tell him that you're getting married."

She looked up at him slowly. "He'll want to attend."

"He can. Maan states it will be more believable with his presence."

"Everything about this is absolutely ridiculous," she muttered, but she wasn't going to pass up on the chance to hear Pavan's voice.

On the fourth ring, he answered.

"Hello?"

She bit her lip to stop the tears that arose from hearing his voice.

"Hello?"

"Bhai, it's me, Geet."

'Geet!" he exclaimed, his voice a mixture of happiness and relief. "I have been worried sick! Half of the force have been out looking for you, are you okay? Where are you? Text me your location, I'm coming to pick you up right now. Ayaan has been going crazy, have you told him you're safe? What happened?"

She held the edge of the bed to compose herself. "I'm okay, bhai. I'm perfectly fine. I'm sorry I didn't tell you what was happening."

"Where are you? I'm getting in the car, I'll be with you as soon as I can."

"No, wait. Just... just hear me out, please."

"Geet, I'm worried. What's going on?"

She looked up at Vicky, who looked away. Just then, as if right on cue, Maan appeared at the door. 

"I met someone," she said, avoiding his stone cold gaze. "Actually, we've known each other for a while. I've been seeing him... and impulsively, I ran away with him for a few nights. We decided to get married. The wedding is today."

There was a long pause. Geet squeezed her eyes shut, her cheeks burning from frustration and humiliation. 

"Pavan bhai? Can you hear me?"

Maan stilled at the sound of her brother's name.

"Geet, what you just told me makes no sense at all. Who is he? Why did you run away? And what about Ayaan? He hasn't slept for the past two nights! He's been searching high and low for you, and you're telling me you were having an affair behind his back and now you're marrying this guy? Today? Why didn't you tell me about this? Or even Meera? Kinza? I asked them, neither of them has had no idea about any of this."

"I'm sorry," she whispered. "I was ashamed. I didn't know how to tell anyone. We want to make things right. Please forgive me."

"Where are you? I need to see you."

"The wedding's at 12-"

"I'm not interested in your wedding. I want to see you."

"Bhai, please. I'm happy.

"I raised you. With my own two hands. I know you better than I know myself. Don't lie to me, Geet. Don't insult your one and only brother like this. Tell me where you are right now."

She looked at Maan, who stalked over and took the phone from her hands.

"Hello, my future brother in law."

"Who is this? Pavan demanded.

"Maan. Maan Singh Khurana. The future husband of your beloved sister."

"Khurana? Vivek Khurana's-"

"His nephew. Geet and I are getting married this afternoon. I would appreciate it if you would attend to show your love for your sister, and your blessing for our union."

"What have you done to her? I swear to God, if you even touched a single hair on her body, I will make sure you never see the light of day again."

Maan smirked. "We fell in love. You can't help who you fall for. Life isn't always that black and white, and neither is love so it seems. You know where our residence is. I hope to see you soon."

He cut the call and placed the phone back into his pocket. Geet's eyes burned with tears and rage.

"You are seriously sick."

Maan turned towards Vicky. "Close the door behind you on your way out."

Once Vicky had left, Maan pulled her up from her arm so she was facing him. "I'm going to wait here. I want you to get ready. You'll have to improvise with your dress that you decided to decorate."

She got up without a word, collected her dress and walked into the bathroom. Maan changed into his white shirt, paired with a black blazer and trousers. He was adjusting the strap on his watch when she walked out, her hair loose, her face devoid of makeup, and a half torn dress.

She looked at him, her eyes giving a silent plea.

"I'm begging you," she said, her hands joined in front of him. "Kill me if you have to. Please don't do this."

He walked up to her, inspecting her dress. 

"Look, I will do whatever you want. Whatever you ask for. I'll move away. I'll ask bhai to ensure that your family are immune to any kind of legal prosecution. You will never see or hear from me again. The past few days will never be spoken about, to anyone, not a single soul, you have my word. Just let me go. That's all I'm asking of you. Don't steal my life away from me."

Geet searched his face for a reaction, but he remained silent, listening. She continued.

"I never wanted to get married like this. I wanted a garden wedding. With my nearest and dearest. I wanted yellow flowers, and daises in my hair, and a delicate white dress. I wanted my brother to walk me down the aisle to the love of my life."

He studied her face carefully.

"I don't even know if my only family that I have left in this world will even turn up or not." She ran a hand through her hair, exhausted. 

"He will," said Maan, causing her to turn towards him. "Your brother loves you. He'll be here. Whether he'll be jumping for joy or not, well that seems unlikely."

He turned to leave the room, and then looked back at her once more. 

"Put your hair up," was the last remark he made before he walked out and closed the door.

Geet sunk on the bed in defeat.

Downstairs, the Khurana's were gathered in the living room, anticipating the nuptials of Maan and Geet. Manyata sat in a corner on the sofa, her hands strategically placed on her lap. Her eyes were fixed on Neil, who was tying a ribbon around his daughter, Hannah's hair.

Avni stood beside her mother, Priya, their stances eerily similar. Their arms were firmly crossed, their lips pursed, their shoulders straight.

"This whole marriage is a shame," said Avni. "They're turning the Khurana name into a joke."

"Your remarks reek of jealousy," her mother remarked.

"I told you before and I'll say it again. I am not in love with Maan any more."

"I didn't mention anything about Maan. Avni, let me tell you this now. Your marriage is strained as it is. The past was the past. Let it go. Focus on Hannah and Neil. It doesn't take long for a man to stray when his wife isn't giving him the love and attention he needs at home."

"He can happily stray. That man has sent me to hell and back."

"Avni. You're heading down a slippery slope. Be careful."

Avni rolled her eyes at her mother's never ending advice.

On the other side of the room, stood Vivek and Suhana. Suhana was avoiding the piercing gaze of Smriti, who was watching them studiously.

"If looks could kill, I would have disintegrated into a thousand pieces," whispered Suhana.

Vivek squeezed her hand reassuringly. "There's nothing she can say or do."

"Why does she hate me so much? What's the story?"

"It's complicated. And nothing for you to worry about, my love."

Suhana knew there was more than meets the eye, but time would unfold the truth.

The registrar walked in, followed by Vicky. Vivek rushed to greet him, introduced him to Smriti, and they assumed their places at the table as witnesses.

"Who is the family member attending on behalf of the bride?" asked the registrar.

"Her brother should be here soon. He's a policeman, he has a very busy schedule. But he will be here. A glass of water, or some coffee perhaps whilst we wait for the besotted couple?"

The registrar declined politely, and thus the wait began.

Fifteen minutes later, Maan and Geet descended the stairs. A rupture of applause broke out, as if they had been commanded to do so.

Maan held Geet's wrist as she had refused to hold his hand, and subsequently refused to walk beside him. She trailed in his path, her face forlorn and her posture defeated. Smriti's eyes widened at the sight of the torn dress. Priya and Avni nudged each other, as if to confirm their suspicions.

They took their places at the table. Geet looked around for her brother, but he was nowhere to be seen.

Her hands fell in her lap. Maan looked at them pointedly, noting the way she was pinching at her skin.

"Where is the bride's representative?" asked the registrar.

"He's been caught up with something, he won't be attending."

Everyone's eyes turned to her. Geet herself was surprised at the mechanical answer that had so easily slipped out of her mouth.

"That's fine. Let's begin."

The conditions were read, the vows were agreed to and the contract was signed.

"You may kiss the bride," the registrar said, before he turned to shake hands with Vivek.

Maan reluctantly placed a kiss against Geet's hair, who turned away as soon as she felt his lips. 

At that very moment, Pavan walked into the house, followed by two police officers.