Tamil Other Serials

What happened to Vijay TV Tamil Serials?

sreeya852 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago
I am very disappointed in the new serials gracing Tamil screens in recent times.  Almost every serial on air is fighting to cross the 1000 episode mark despite the lack of or poor character development or story continuity.  
Vijay tv serials is turning out to be a teenage girls fantasy with almost every story revolving around two characters (a boy and girl) played by young actors who look good together with very little or over the top scope in acting.  The Villains lack humanization and are painted with one brush, and are annoying to the core... and most of the actresses playing the leads in romantic scenes aren't even done with 12th standardšŸ¤¢

Where did the maturity in the love stories and down to earth story lines go? 

The first season of Office and first season of Saravanan Meentachi, plus the first season of Andhal Azhagar was a time when actors, direction, screenplay had scope and provoked thought.

Example:

SM season 1:

S and M were matured working adults from two different ways of life nearing their 30's who both had failing relationships when they came together under the guise of an arranged marriage... both of their families were well developed... from regular middle class backgrounds who found commonality... with S's sister having had a divorce and was able to get back up and find new love in Tamil (M's brother)... this was one of the most intriguing storylines... despite some of the dragging in between... and then it went downhill when they brought in leaps where M's sisters grew up..

Saravanan and Meenatchi's relationship although titular to the show was only one of the many well developed and intriguing relationships in the show, such as:

1. Saravanan's bond with his Father
2. Meenatchi's bond with her Father
3.Saravanan's bond with his Father in-law
4. Meenatchi's bond with her Father in-law
5. Meenatchi's bond with her brother (Thamil)
6. Saravanan's love-hate rivalry with Thamil
7. The mature love story between Thamil and Saravanan's sister 
8. Saravanan's bond with his stister

All of these relationships had equal scope in making SM season 1 watchable and at times relatable and forward thinking (to an extent)

Plus this is a clear example that leads don't have to be in their early 20s.  

Office Season 1

This was a lovely show at first.  Again well developed characters in a believable setting... still had romance, work politics, and friendship... with the serial touch ofcourse... but was different and the characters, screenplay, actors all had equal scope and performed well.

Andhal Azhagar season 1

again... great characters. mature characters and not just early 20 somethings talking about marriage and love alone... but there was believable family ties... issues and scope for every character and relationship.  With the maturity in Andhal's and Revathy's characters taking centre stage as female tv roles models along with their very down to earth mature fathers... plus sakthi's and Azhagar's fun relationship then rift and their comedic side-kicks... all having equal scope.

Thamil and Ramya's relationship was very nicely done and a clear example that leads of a show can be mature and still connect with the audience... 

What happened Vijay TV?  You were a staple for bringing Movie content worth storylines to TV... but lost sight due to couple fandoms and the Sun TV bug of cranking out too many to swallow episodes at the price of good characters and content...

Don't forgo your trademark of good TV series for the sake of over the top long running soap operas.  This is a kind request.  And please, please please stop remaking serials from other languages.  Your original content such as the above were your best for a reason.

Edited by sugarpuff1992hi - 5 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sreeya852 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: ZEESXY

Well written Sugar.

Thank you.

Current shows on Vijay TV that are somewhat watchable include naam iruvar nammaku iruvar/ chinna thambi/ avalum naanum.

While Pagal Nilavu/SM 3/ Niram Maratha Pookal/Raja Rani/ Ponmagal Vanthaal are the worst, only concentrating on how actors and pairing look, with incomprehensible/over-the-top arcs.

A serial's backbone is its story, screenplay, direction, location and ability to seamlessly connect story arcs with actors there to use their talent to embellish all of this through  well written characters.

A serial or movie that forgoes the story and continuity of arcs in the name of showcasing actors' so-called talents or mass like image actually diminish their talent and entire product.

I really wish these Tamil channels would step up their game in getting back to believable content and respect the intelligence of viewers.

These reality shows on the other hand are even worse... and the sudden skyrocket of the participants' popularity is even worse.

I do have to mention some balanced tv content including azhagu and nayagi on sun tv.  those are 2 serials that actually seem worthy of awards as of now.

I am just glad there are alternate modes of Tamil entertainment such as youtube and independent webseries and independent comedy sketches... 
Edited by sreeya852 - 5 years ago
Pallanguzhi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Very true!! I reallyyy miss the days of Lollu Sabha and Vijay TV's original dramas like Kadhalikka Neramillai, 7C, SM-1, Roja Kootam...

Now it seems the serials are either
1. Following the megaaa serial route - evil MILs vs always crying DILs
2. Following Hindi serials route - big and fancy mansions, mega rich families, boy-meets-girl
3. Too centred on games/horror stuff/foreign location tour ..

What I wish for includes a solid plot, an interesting mix of characters, compelling and thought provoking issues, different stories .. 

K. Balachander sir was ace at this ... perfect balance of humour, emotions, life lessons all packaged nicely into a half hour slot.
luxmi_1029 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Pallanguzhi

Very true!! I reallyyy miss the days of Lollu Sabha and Vijay TV's original dramas like Kadhalikka Neramillai, 7C, SM-1, Roja Kootam...

Now it seems the serials are either
1. Following the megaaa serial route - evil MILs vs always crying DILs
2. Following Hindi serials route - big and fancy mansions, mega rich families, boy-meets-girl
3. Too centred on games/horror stuff/foreign location tour ..

What I wish for includes a solid plot, an interesting mix of characters, compelling and thought provoking issues, different stories .. 

K. Balachander sir was ace at this ... perfect balance of humour, emotions, life lessons all packaged nicely into a half hour slot.

I loved roja kootam and en peyar meenakshi. all the actors playing their respective roles were some of the best in the industry 

though I would disagree that not all vijay tv serials were good.  Privivom santhipom was one of the worst.  The way they dealt with shadeism did not feel right for a tamil context.  On top of that they got the girl playing jothy and her mom to wear make-up to darken their skin which was horrible.  They could have hired actors with the skin tone they wanted then do thatšŸ˜”
Edited by luxmi_1029 - 5 years ago