Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Shekhar Kapur asked National Award jury to not choose Sridevi: It is u

LoseYouToLoveMe thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 6 years ago

Shekhar Kapur asked National Award jury to not choose Sridevi: It is unfair to other girls

• IndiaToday.in
  • New Delhi
  • April 14, 2018 UPDATED 17:35 IST
Shekhar Kapur, Sridevi

The winners for National Awards for the year 2017 were announced on Friday. Sridevi was named as Best Actress for Mom, which was her last film, and Baahubali bagged three trophies. Newton won Best Film.

However, filmmaker Shekhar Kapur who was the head of the jury, was against Sridevi winning the award.

When Shekhar Kapur announced Sridevi's name, he said, "The best actress is Sridevi for 'Mom' and I promise you it is not my relationship with her. Every morning when I came here, I would ask everyone to vote once again. I would look at all the actors, talk about them and I would say, 'there should be not Sridevi, not Sridevi'! We used take a vote and it always came back to Sridevi.

"It was me who fought that it shouldn't be Sridevi. We are all emotionally involved with Sridevi. I used to say, 'don't give her an award because she died, it is unfair on the other girls. They have also worked hard for 10-12 years, they too have a career.'"

Sridevi, who passed away this February, had an illustrious acting career spanning almost 5 decades. She had acted in Hindi, Malayalam, Tamil and Telugu films, and was often hailed as India's first female superstar.

ALSO SEE| Complete winners list 65th National Film Awards: Sridevi named best actress for Mom

ALSO SEE: Janhvi, Khushi and Boney Kapoor elated over Sridevi's National Award win| Her legacy will live on

ALSO WATCH| Farewell Sridevi: A look at the career of Bollywood's first female superstar

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
STFU Shekhar Kapoor...if u didn't want Sri to win the NA...u shouldn't have let it happen...but now that she won it..stop disrespecting her like that...hadd hai🀒 Edited by blue-ice. - 6 years ago
CuttingChai thumbnail
He pretty much explained why Sridevi was selected for the award. Good to get the confirmation from the head of the jury. Now fans will come for him. Though its shameful to throw , someone who is dead, under the bus. Edited by Mascarpone - 6 years ago
springkissed thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
He has my respect for admitting that it was an emotional decision more than a rational one. While Sridevi was an actress of unparalleled talent, you can't encompass her whole career in one award that is only meant for one performance in a movie released in that particular year, aka mom. It's to Shekhar's credit that he admits outright the extent their emotions powered their decision and that too is a huge credit to Sridevi's illustrious career and phenomenal acting that she has been entrenched so heavily in everyone's thoughts and memories. I have hard time putting this in a box of right or wrong, so I'm just going to say neither party is entirely wrong in this instance. It's from however perspective you look at it tbh. 
blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
This content was originally posted by: Mascarpone

He pretty much explained why Sridevi was selected for the award. Good to get the confirmation from the head of the jury. Now fans will come for him. Though its shameful to throw , someone who is dead, under the bus. 

no its not shameful to throw someone under the bus if they deserved it...but it is shameful to be a part of something one considers wrong but still does it and then blames it on the team...oh they did it ..I didn't want it...SRi didn't ask u to award her the NA...but if they did ...what is the point of shaming her and disrespecting her like this...if SK didn't have the balls to oppose his team members then he should have kept quiet now also...bloody f**king idiot this Kapoor is🀒
Manavi_kesari thumbnail
IPL 2023 Participants 3 Thumbnail Anniversary 12 Thumbnail + 4

Who iz diz shekar kapur , ooo d practical one want practicals lol ,y he is crying he has to return money oops gift r wat lol r he wants gift from Sri atma also r wat lol
serendipity_10 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I personally think she should have won for English Vinglish, over Mom. 
ImagineMe thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

He's saying two things at the same time-  Jury unanimous that she's the best after multiple rounds of voting and he playing the devil's advocate that it isn't an emotional decision.

Furthermore, he also says that she deserved it in the first sentence!

No one disagrees with Sridevi being the NA caliber actress... its just some people have reservations for this movie. That's OK. Each year the actual winner is questioned. 

And its not a random case like Rustom. Her MOM performance reviews were unanimous back then and she had the best received female performance in Hindi until that point of the year. Furthermore, she was nominated at all ceremonies along with Filmfare in both popular and critics category... which Filmfare wrote an essay about the latter exclusively being meant for "special" performances only. πŸ˜†

All said and done, Sri is a NA winning actress for her swan song performance.

And if NA jury simply gets emotional over dead actors, how come Smita didn't get one for Mirch Masala or Waris etc.?

One thing was clear during announcement,... this Shekhar Kapur is a big rambler. The announcement of awards and his side tidbits were annoying. I don't know how many of you actually listened to all of it.😑

Edited by ImagineMe - 6 years ago
I wouldn't of chose her if he asked me to πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
heartbleed thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Sridevi did not deserve anything for Mom. Heath Ledger deserved that oscar for Joker.