Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

CuttingChai thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago
Poor Suhana, she inherited her dad's face and mom's dressing sense. She has to get rid of both first.

Do the reverse Suhana,😆

Edited by Mascarpone - 6 years ago
FanofAreebsMum thumbnail

Originally posted by: Mallika-E-Bhais

Old age homes are another concept I just cannot wrap my head around & it all truly does boil down to the inherent, fundamental differences in Culture.

I've noticed that when older desis get together this is something they often talk about to show how superior they are..

These "old age homes" aren't just homes that old people are dumped in, they are actually very nice and are almost lifestyle choice for retired people..most older citizens prefer to live here..they've got on call health care professionals..other care staff..activities that they like to indulge in etc etc..
Mallika-E-Bhais thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
^^Well here you've a younger desi criticising it so something different.. lmaooo, I know & am fully aware of what being in an old-age home entails, to me though, it's extremely uncaring at the least, to dump your parent/s and wander back to your own lives & visit them as & when you want. and this is coming from someone who has lived in different countries & has friends & family members of different cultures- I can't ever be so uncaring but to each their own I reckon. :)Edited by Mallika-E-Bhais - 6 years ago
FanofAreebsMum thumbnail
hmm the kids don't have to put them there.. the parents can use their retirement savings for that purpose so they can be independent and self reliant in their old age

instead of giving all their property and savings to their kids and lose the financial freedom ...
-Doppelganger- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Suhana will have a tough journey ahead if she chooses to be in BW.  SRK is such a humongous star that it will be extremely difficult for his children to come out of his shadow. 
DKD: I didn't anywhere say that they should give away their entire earnings/property to their children, that's extremely impractical. But I meant more in the cases of white Friends I have where the parents are very well to do & can easily afford to help their children, and don't bother doing so for whatever reason! Like Anon39 said, helping them with college etc. I've seen friends struggle a lot & despite having lived with them etc I can never truly understand because their culture is completely removed from my own. I do know of family friends who are older & of their own accord, live in old-age homes because their children are all well-settled abroad & will be leaving them money & property while retaining their own, during their lives.. For them it makes sense. But otherwise... Nah. But that's just me. To each their own, as I said.
DarkUnicorn thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8

^^Well here you've a younger desi criticising it so something different.. lmaooo, I know & am fully aware of what being in an old-age home entails, to me though, it's extremely uncaring at the least, to dump your parent/s and wander back to your own lives & visit them as & when you want. and this is coming from someone who has lived in different countries & has friends & family members of different cultures- I can't ever be so uncaring but to each their own I reckon. :)

See the whole old age home has its positives and negative. I get what you're saying about dumping your parents there. Which is extremely horrible. But there is another side to that.
One of my relatives father has dementia... and both him and his wife work all day and come back home late and their kids are in college in other cities. They have to lock his father in room before going to work because he would wander out and get lost or start tinkering with kitchen knifes or stoves. They've stopped grandpa from accidentally harming himself so many times...
And locking the poor man everyday was heartbreaking so they finally took the step to send him to a home. They get criticised a lot but the fellow desi people... but they have no other choice.. they are middle class people putting their kids through college.. one of them can't just stop working. Cases like these a old age home is the best option. Tho I totally dont respect people who would send their normal healthy parents to old age home.
^^Cases like those I know & am familiar with & I completely understand!! Gossiping about humans is a regular human pastime & its exasperating & irritating after a point so I understand completely. These cases weren't a part of what my comment though, I was talking about children who come up with these solutions for their own selfish reasons.
DarkUnicorn thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8

^^Cases like those I know & am familiar with & I completely understand!! Gossiping about humans is a regular human pastime & its exasperating & irritating after a point so I understand completely. These cases weren't a part of what my comment though, I was talking about children who come up with these solutions for their own selfish reasons.

I get what you mean by selfish reasons... but sometimes I feel like those parents are atleast lucky their selfish kids send them to a place where they will be safe. I've seen nasty kids treat their widow mothers like servants... the poor lady takes all the abuses because she's got no money of her own and no place to go if her son kicks her out even her other son doesn't care about her. And there are so many stories like that... it just makes me want to hug my parents tighter and makes me realise that it's so much better to be financially stable for old age so incase if I've got no one atleast I can take care of myself. gosh this is so depressing to think about.
^^Ya I find it extremely depressing too! Let's not talk about it.