Flashback: Madhuri was paid more than Salman in Saajan

JackSparrowcraz thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 6 years ago
Saajan directed  by Lawrence D'Souza, the film revolved around Aman (Sanjay), Akash (Salman) and Pooja (Madhuri) and took the audience through a journey of friendship between orphan, poor and handicapped Aman and the rich wealthy Akash.
What with the powerful script, melodious music and impressive performances, the film ran for 75 weeks at the box office and had a diamond jubilee celebration.Saajan became the highest grossing film of the year 1991 shattering all box office records of previous movies and also established itself as the 5th highest grosser of the 90's decade.
The director of the film Lawrence shared some interesting facts, figures and anecdotes about the making of the film.

Salman received a fee of 11 lakh, while Sanjay and Madhuri 12 lakh each
Today, Salman Khan charges a bomb to be a part of any film. Reportedly the actor charges 60 crore as his fee for film projects. For that matter it takes a whopping sum amount to cast Sanjay Dutt and Madhuri Dixit Nene too. But back in the 90s the trio earned in lakhs.
Revealing the fees of the cast of Saajan, Lawrence says, "Salman received 11 lakh, whereas Sanjay and Madhuri were paid12 lakh each for the film. Overall the film was made on the budget of 1.58 crore.
Sanjay Dutt replaced Aamir Khan
Initially, Saajan the movie was to star Salman, Aamir and Madhuri. But one incident changed it all and soon Sanjay stepped into Aamir's shoes. Elaborating on the incident, Lawrence says, "After roping me in as the director, producer of the film Sudhakar Bokade offered Aman's role to Aamir Khan. The actor was not happy to have me as the director. He quizzed about my work experience to the producer and even asked him to show him some of my earlier work.
Lawrence had been a DOP (Director of Photography) on many Bollywood movies. But Saajan was his first big venture as a director, and Aamir was apparently not happy to work with a fresher.
"After he questioned about my background to Sudhakar, the irritated producer lashed at him saying paisa hum Lawrence pe laga rahe hai, tum nahi', recollects the director saying that Sanjay was soon casted in Aamir place.
Laxmikant-Pyarelal was the original choice for Saajan's music
From a Dekha Hai Pehli Baar, Tum Se Milne Ki Tamanna Hai, Tu Shayar Hai to Bahut Pyaar Karte Hai, all songs from Saajan have been chartbusters. The music score of the film was given by musical duo Nadeem-Shravan. But Lawrence reveals that Laxmikant-Pyarelal was the original duo that was approached for the film. He says, "I was new to direction, isiliye yeh dono bhi mujhe bhao nahi dete the. They would not spare time to meet me. On the other hand we had fixed a date to begin the shooting of the film. So in a haste the producer and I met Nadeem Shravan and selected seven songs. All the seven songs became a part of the album and became superhit!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Salman was only 2 yrs old in the industry and neither as big as Madhuri or Sanjay .
snatch thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3
saajan was a beautiful love triangle..sanjay salman and madhuri were perfect and it had out of the world music. director too did an amazing job.
ZestyZeniaZetas thumbnail
Initially, Saajan the movie was to star Salman, Aamir and Madhuri.

really?😕

Originally posted by: 2RsFan

Salman was only 2 yrs old in the industry and neither as big as Madhuri or Sanjay .

She was also paid more than him for HAHK.

Originally posted by: MinzPie

really?😕

Lawrence stated it.
Rekha_ji thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: MinzPie

really?😕

This has been known for a long time.

Aamir-Madhuri also almost happened in "Ishq" (1997), "1942 A Love Story" (1994), and "Darr" (1993).
Cookies.. thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2
Aamir's filmography in the 90's were so sub-par for the most part. It's because of how he wanted prestigious directors, stereotypes of not playing a villain (Darr), not wanting to play second lead, etc. He was so caught up playing the quintessential romantic hero that he rejected some good films and did some dreadful ones. 
raj80 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Cookies..

Aamir's filmography in the 90's were so sub-par for the most part. It's because of how he wanted prestigious directors, stereotypes of not playing a villain (Darr), not wanting to play second lead, etc. He was so caught up playing the quintessential romantic hero that he rejected some good films and did some dreadful ones. 

His work early in his career is contrary to wht u have written...He worked with first time directors like Mansoor,Aditya,Indra Kumar...He played a grey char in Raakh...He was removed from Darr...just goes to show he had no problem in playing a villain...He rejected some films bcoz he didn't want and was bored of doing choclate boy,the boy next door kind of chars romantic hero,he was bored of it...

OT:Madhuri was bigger star than Salman those days...
Edited by raj80 - 6 years ago
blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Toh kya hua...Salman was a newbie at that time...Salman kyon..Shahrukh ya Aamir hote toh they would also have been paid less than Madhuri...Madhuri was a bigger star than them so she was paid more...simple...aaj jo funda hai..wahi uss time per bhi tha..