Historical facts about Porus

Posted: 6 years ago
I am very excited for this show, though again this show has fictional elements in it but it is going to show patriotism as its main story so well... here it goes
  • Porus's real name was Puru or Purushottam.
  • Anusuya is clearly a fictional character and Bamni too.
  • It is mentioned in history Porus was very much in love with his wife and Alexander was not.
  • It is possible that Porus won Battle of Hydaspas if we go by the facts correctly.
  • Porus's sons lost their lives in battle of Hydaspas (jhelum)
  • He was famous in all Europe and India for his bravery.
  • He had a friend called Mereos (Maurya)
  • He had enmity with Taxiles (Ambhi) but due to Alexander's efforts his one daughter was married to him for cooperation between them.
  • It is possible Parvatak who helped chandragupta Maurya in defeating Dhana Nanda was none other than Porus and chanakya killed him by treachery and his son Malayketu though Mudrarakshasa was written decades later. However greek sources say porus was killed by Eudemos again by treachery.
  • Chanakya had contacts with Porus and Ambhi and he was very active in revolt against alexander.
Edited by Roxelana - 6 years ago
Welcome to the forum. I am glad you are excited for show. Sorry to say but some of your historical facts seems to be incorrect according to my reading and discussions occured in forum...there is nothing like alexander doesnt loved his wife. And porus did loose the battle...pls share link of your source which says he won...i have heard various versions on how he loosed but this is heard for first time that he won against alexander. And anusuya and bamni being fictional characters is a historical fact. Please put some light...kaha likha hain yeh history mein. Porus did took birth normally na...maa baap the uske...aasman se nahi tapka tha woh. Moreover i doubt a renowned director like siddharth sir who actually have relied upon books for finding history will create such important characters in show if they were not present at all in history. So the historical fact that anusuya bamni are just fictional characters is just a mere assumption. 
Hey
I read that porus lost to Alexander but Alexander is impressed with porus and became his friend... Not sure which version is right but I want watch the show with open mind as no much facts are available on porus

Thanks for sharing the facts😊
Originally posted by EtherealRati

Welcome to the forum. I am glad you are excited for show. Sorry to say but some of your historical facts seems to be incorrect according to my reading and discussions occured in forum...there is nothing like alexander doesnt loved his wife. And porus did loose the battle...pls share link of your source which says he won...i have heard various versions on how he loosed but this is heard for first time that he won against alexander. And anusuya and bamni being fictional characters is a historical fact. Please put some light...kaha likha hain yeh history mein. Porus did took birth normally na...maa baap the uske...aasman se nahi tapka tha woh. Moreover i doubt a renowned director like siddharth sir who actually have relied upon books for finding history will create such important characters in show if they were not present at all in history. So the historical fact that anusuya bamni are just fictional characters is just a mere assumption. 

About love part it is written by a very famous greek historian who was contemporary with him (google books as the source though I forgot the book's name), I didn't make that part, loving someone and being in love both are very different things. Well we can never judge anyone's emotions and certainly not of dead people.πŸ˜†

well in books porus did lose the battle but facts go against it. It's just a theory.

About porus's parents well surely he had parents but the particular names are not mentioned anywhere.  And it is nowhere return his mother was akhand bharat freak,it was chanakya.πŸ˜†πŸ˜Š

About research, well dear never believe serials and their so called research. All historical serials till date are fictional except ndtv's chandragupta maurya and dd's chanakya. Even these serials had fictional elements.

I never write anything without properly going through the facts of history. You chose to not believe me and I am fine with that. πŸ˜Š No matter what this serial tries to show patriotism which I really like.

Originally posted by -PD-

Hey
I read that porus lost to Alexander but Alexander is impressed with porus and became his friend... Not sure which version is right but I want watch the show with open mind as no much facts are available on porus

Thanks for sharing the facts😊

Well this is the version written by Greeks in their accounts and Indian sources do not mention Alexander's invasion at all because alexander didn't make any big achievements here to make indians concerned about him.πŸ₯± He came to Beas and returned back due to fear of dhana nanda (Xandrammes in greek) and his tired army revolted.
So i can see a lot of discussing about history here which gets me quite excited as usual and here i am interfering with my points againπŸ˜†πŸ˜†
But lets keep in mind that the only historical proof about the Battle of Hydaspes is solely from the Greeks.

• Porus's real name was Puru or Purushottam. Puru was his name, Purushottam is what this serial is saying, the greeks pronounced it was Porus.

• Anusuya is clearly a fictional character and Bamni too. Well here is one point which I too debated on. As said earlier, the only facts about this battle are from the Greeks, many here chose to believe that Sidd Tewary has done extensive research and all of that and wont invent names here. Well as much as i love Sidd Tewary and his Swastik, unless he went to Greece and spoke to the historians there and did some extensive research there, i dont see any other way as to how he got hold of the names of Porus's parents πŸ˜†
  • It is mentioned in history Porus was very much in love with his wife and Alexander was not - This is not true, well atleast many legends say so (not the internet) Alexander chose to marry Roxanne even after much opposition from his generals who infact was captured that time. they described her as the 'most beautiful woman in Asia that time' well this can definitely be true considering she was an Afghani and they are known for exquisite beauty. 

• It is possible that Porus won Battle of Hydaspas if we go by the facts correctly - Once again as I say the facts have come from the Greeks, one might even be right in saying that the Greeks could have been biased here. Well, won or not, Porus did make this battle as Alexander's costliest battle ever fought which is why its been mentioned so much. So much so that after a certain point his army even refused to fight further. As a matter of fact, i choose to believe as per what i researched during school days that Alexandar did win the battle but didn't win India. Porus ended up being his ally. And Alexander has even referred to Porus as 'my friend'.

• Porus's sons lost their lives in battle of Hydaspas (jhelum) - Cannot comment on this unfortunately as my research didn't go all the way to his sons.

• He was famous in all Europe and India for his bravery. - True, but people know him because of Alexander.
  • He had a friend called Mereos (Maurya) - Heard of this too, but not read about it, please share if you have links.

• He had enmity with Taxiles (Ambhi) but due to Alexander's efforts his one daughter was married to him for cooperation between them - He did have enemity with Taxila bcos Ambhi was Alexander's ally. I have no idea about the marriage part, my research was more towards Alexander than Porus.

• It is possible Parvatak who helped chandragupta Maurya in defeating Dhana Nanda was none other than Porus and chanakya killed him by treachery and his son Malayketu though Mudrarakshasa was written decades later. However greek sources say porus was killed by Eudemos again by treachery - Links ? would love to read more abt this 

• Chanakya had contacts with Porus and Ambhi and he was very active in revolt against alexander. - This everybody knows, Chanakya's legends are famousπŸ˜ƒ, It was Chanakya who convinced Porus to fight with Alexander in the first place, although Chanakya had approached Dhanananda at first and he refused to fight.

You have some good points to debate on and most of them are agreeable. The fact that it was Chanakya's dream of a unified India and not Anusuya's was well pointed out by you. Chanakya even foresaw foreign invasion in India way before anyone had seen it.
What we need to understand here that in the case of Porus,the historical facts are quite obscure.Not much is known about Porus.The only sources are the Greek ones.
The most commonly known facts about Porus are-

1.He was the only person who resisted Alexander The Great.
2.He ruled the region between the Jhelum and the Chenab.
3.Though he lost the war,he impressed Alexander and went on to become his friend and was given several regions by Alexander to rule.
4.The famous incident of 'I want you to treat me as one king does to another' is something which every individual remembers when asked about Porus.

Now about the ones you stated,I agree with some and disagree with the rest.

1.His real name was Puru.Now whether it was short for Purushottam or not is left to the imagination of the interpreter.

2.About the existence of Anusuya and Bamni,as I said earlier Porus' history is obscure and retold through the Greek versions.History doesn't acknowledge the existence of Anusuya and Bamni but it doesn't deny it either.There is no smoke without a fire.This is SidT's magnum opus and he must have surely put in the right amount of research.If Anusuya and Bamni are central characters in this story then they must have some basis too.

3.Some sources do claim Porus won the battle.But others deny it.Alexander clearly planned to extend his campaign of annexing India but he couldn't coz he his army was exhausted.The battle with Porus came with great casualties for him.As @darkwarrior200 mentioned,Alexander won the battle against Porus but not without a heavy cost.
The Battle of Hydaspas was one of the main catalysts which caused Alexander to retreat.
The line mentioned in the motion poster and the first look of the show is Jo Duniya Jeet Ke Aaya Tha Usse Khaali Haath Lautaya Tha.This is applicable to the case where though Porus lost he had a major contribution in Alexander's retreat.
And though Alexander couldn't conquer India,he never lost a single war in his life.Porus is also mentioned to be Alexander's friend and satrap which wouldn't have been possible if Alexander had lost.

4.I certainly don't agree that Alexander didn't love his wife.Out of his three marriages one was for love and the others were political alliances.Roxana was his first wife and there was no compulsion on him to marry her.Infact he was advised against it.Had he wanted he could have taken her without marriage.But he married her and made her his lawful wife.What other motivation could be there apart from love??

5.It's true that Chanakya was a visionary who sensed the possibility of a foreign invasion far before anyone else did.And he did meet and advise Porus at a point.I guess this will be shown later.Chanakya and Porus were often in touch.

6.I don't think Porus and Parvatak were the same person though it's highly debatable.
I have read about Eudemos killing him though.

Originally posted by darkwarrior200

So i can see a lot of discussing about history here which gets me quite excited as usual and here i am interfering with my points againπŸ˜†πŸ˜†
But lets keep in mind that the only historical proof about the Battle of Hydaspes is solely from the Greeks.

• Porus's real name was Puru or Purushottam. Puru was his name, Purushottam is what this serial is saying, the greeks pronounced it was Porus.

• Anusuya is clearly a fictional character and Bamni too. Well here is one point which I too debated on. As said earlier, the only facts about this battle are from the Greeks, many here chose to believe that Sidd Tewary has done extensive research and all of that and wont invent names here. Well as much as i love Sidd Tewary and his Swastik, unless he went to Greece and spoke to the historians there and did some extensive research there, i dont see any other way as to how he got hold of the names of Porus's parents πŸ˜†

• yeah, his extensive research made him porus to show of same age as alexander. 
  • really?  He has clearly invented the names. 

• It is mentioned in history Porus was very much in love with his wife and Alexander was not - This is not true, well atleast many legends say so (not the internet) Alexander chose to marry Roxanne even after much opposition from his generals who infact was captured that time. they described her as the 'most beautiful woman in Asia that time' well this can definitely be true considering she was an Afghani and they are known for exquisite beauty. 
Well if his contemporary writers you perceive as wrong so what can i say to convince you.πŸ˜†

• It is possible that Porus won Battle of Hydaspas if we go by the facts correctly - Once again as I say the facts have come from the Greeks, one might even be right in saying that the Greeks could have been biased here. Well, won or not, Porus did make this battle as Alexander's costliest battle ever fought which is why its been mentioned so much. So much so that after a certain point his army even refused to fight further. As a matter of fact, i choose to believe as per what i researched during school days that Alexandar did win the battle but didn't win India. Porus ended up being his ally. And Alexander has even referred to Porus as 'my friend'.
 Greek sources can't be blindly trusted.
  • Porus's sons lost their lives in battle of Hydaspas (jhelum) - Cannot comment on this unfortunately as my research didn't go all the way to his sons.
  • Reading wikipedia is not research. one has to read books too. 

• He was famous in all Europe and India for his bravery. - True, but people know him because of Alexander.
  • He had a friend called Mereos (Maurya) - Heard of this too, but not read about it, please share if you have links. Well I have read it on wikipedia so I too cannot comment on this.

• He had enmity with Taxiles (Ambhi) but due to Alexander's efforts his one daughter was married to him for cooperation between them - He did have enemity with Taxila bcos Ambhi was Alexander's ally. I have no idea about the marriage part, my research was more towards Alexander than Porus. 

• It is possible Parvatak who helped chandragupta Maurya in defeating Dhana Nanda was none other than Porus and chanakya killed him by treachery and his son Malayketu though Mudrarakshasa was written decades later. However greek sources say porus was killed by Eudemos again by treachery - Links ? would love to read more abt this  Mudrarakshasa by vishakhadutta

• Chanakya had contacts with Porus and Ambhi and he was very active in revolt against alexander. - This everybody knows, Chanakya's legends are famousπŸ˜ƒ, It was Chanakya who convinced Porus to fight with Alexander in the first place, although Chanakya had approached Dhanananda at first and he refused to fight.

You have some good points to debate on and most of them are agreeable. The fact that it was Chanakya's dream of a unified India and not Anusuya's was well pointed out by you. Chanakya even foresaw foreign invasion in India way before anyone had seen it.
Originally posted by Roxelana

About love part it is written by a very famous greek historian who was contemporary with him (google books as the source though I forgot the book's name), I didn't make that part, loving someone and being in love both are very different things. Well we can never judge anyone's emotions and certainly not of dead people.πŸ˜†

well in books porus did lose the battle but facts go against it. It's just a theory.

About porus's parents well surely he had parents but the particular names are not mentioned anywhere.  And it is nowhere writtenn his mother was akhand bharat freak,it was chanakya.πŸ˜†πŸ˜Š

About research, well dear never believe serials and their so called research. All historical serials till date are fictional except ndtv's chandragupta maurya and dd's chanakya. Even these serials had fictional elements.

I never write anything without properly going through the facts of history. You chose to not believe me and I am fine with that. πŸ˜Š No matter what this serial tries to show patriotism which I really like.

@roxelena, what made u think that i have read all this info on wikipedia ?
infact i myself have edited wikipedia many times hence i know that info cant be trusted.

dont jump onto conclusions when u know nothing about me. πŸ€£