Toilet : Ek Prem Katha Review&BO (Reviews Page 1)

-Piku- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 6 years ago
Post TEPK reviews and BO thread

[DIV]Plot

[DIV]Keshav and Jaya are from two villages near Mathura, where at least 80% of households are without any access to a lavatories. Conflict comes knocking on the first day of their marriage, when Jaya leaves Keshav's house for good, after discovering that there is no toilet in the home. Distraught and desperate, Keshav sets out on mission to win back his love- by battling against the age old traditions, mind-set and value system of his country.
Edited by -Piku- - 6 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Box Office:

3 day Total : 51.45 cr 

aran adarshVerified account @taran_adarsh  
More

#ToiletEkPremKatha Fri 13.10 cr. India biz... Sat and Sun look better... Biz to get big boost on Tue [Independence Day]... #TEPK

1. Bollywood HungamaVerified account @Bollyhungama  
    More

#BoxOffice: #ToiletEkPremKatha collects 13.10 cr on Fri (Day 1), 17.10 cr on Sat (Day 2). Total- 30.20 cr India biz. #TEPK

taran adarshVerified account @taran_adarsh  
More

#ToiletEkPremKatha is EXTRAORDINARY... Fri 13.10 cr, Sat 17.10 cr, Sun 21.25 cr. Total: 51.45 cr. India biz... #TEPK

Member Reviews: 

Originally posted by: SamsinghR

watched today.. 👏 
whole cast was so brilliant...
will recommend everyone to watch this.. 😳

Originally posted by: Remus.Lupin4

Liked it. I wouldn't have watched if it weren't for the message. Entertaining and has a relevant message.. I hope it makes a difference in parts of India...

Pros
Bhumi looks so pretty in simple sarees and acts really well
I loved the background music
The rural setting 
The message

Cons
I didn't like the romance..She looks far too young. i waited for them to wrap it up in 20 mins, but it stretched quite a bit
politicians praise 
I found the second half too preachy and long 

3/5

I'm most excited for Padman and really looking forward to it 👍🏼 Finally he is making movies with good message just hope he keeps the romance aspect of it to under 20 mins and acts with older actresses. 

This scene

😆😆

Originally posted by: -Piku-

Enjoyed the movie. 

Akki was the best with perfect comic timing. 
Loved Bhumi too. In her strong scenes she was terrific. 
The guy who played Akki'sbrother Dibyendu was awesome. The duo were so much fun together. 
Anupam Kher and Rajesh Sharma even though in minor roles were too good. Keshav'a dad as well. 

It is shocking to see the mentality of the villagers. Hope the message reaches the masses. 

2nd half felt a little stretched but even in between there were some funny one liners by Akki. 2 songs could have been easily avoided.

It was houseful and the crowd had a good laugh during comedy scenes and dialogues. 
Waiting for Padman now.

Originally posted by: Pehchaan.Kaun

My review *May contain spoilers* -

Great movie, great performance (needless to say) and great mix of all emotions - love, humour, hard-hitting facts and the battle against 'sabhyata'. 

Pros :

• After reading the reviews about second half being a drag, I had much low expectations. However, surprisingly the issue was actually dealt with its deserving seriousness only in its second half. The whole idea of showing how a family consisting of only male members never understanding the problem of a woman until they really get to LIVE with her is wonderfully shown. Glad that the political agenda was only for last 45 mins-1 hr whereas the rest of the movie solely focussed on the villagers and their mentality about a sauchalaya. Much horrifying but sad reality of our country, isn't it . 
  • Loved the fact that along with highlighting the villagers' rotten idea of 'sabhyata', it also blames the WOMEN of the society for this problem. 👏 Brave step. It's time women stop seeking help from others and depending on others for issues related to them. No man leaves their battle to woman to fight, they wanted power, they got it themselves. Women need to fight for their rights themselves instead of seeking for their validation. Much important dialog is put in the movie - A time where all women should stand together with each other, they are busy fighting with each other 👏. 
  • The whole issue was dealt with such satire and humour that it drew so much appreciation, cheering, clapping from the audience. What was not tried before having a permanent fix of the problem man - starting with 'Adjust kar liyo' to giving 'romantic' bike ride to take wife to field for chores to going to somebody's house only to use their bathroom 😆 to using a 7-minute stop of a train in a certain station (station without toilet) as a means to use its toilet to actually STEALING a porta-loo 🤣 to 'stop eating' 😆. It was really great experience with Keshav and his innovative 'jugaad' way before he finally gets the message. 😆 I dont think anything was left for exploring further for a quicker temporary fix. 😆
  • The battle of an average guy whose family is overtly religious but he himself practises a much liberal lifestyle and that, I think, represents the majority of India, who, in their struggle-ful life of earning livelihood, hardly gets time to practise and preach any religion so strongly. 👏 I come from a place with 60% of the city is Muslims and rest Hindu (mostly). This is a border of 2 states and with lots of business opportunities. Till date I haven't felt any kind of unrest in my place due to RELIGIOUS belief. 👏 Who has time to spout so much venom when they spend 8/9 hrs of the day trying to earn money. 😕 Keshav understands the problem and has no issues himself, but surrenders to his father's wish until he fears permanent separation from his wife. Sad that for such guys it takes the wife to go THIS extreme to send a message across. But that's what I have seen happening everywhere around me. Unless the woman reacts strongly, everyone takes her decisions as 'mood-swings' or 'fancy whims'. 👏
  • And the last but the best - Jaya. 😲⭐️ And 2 stars for her family specially father and uncle ⭐️⭐️ Every girl should have a family like that. The examples of rapes were bang on and hard-hitting 💔. And more so the uncle's question to her mother that if she is WAITING to happen something to her daughter before taking a firm step 👏. 

Cons :

• One thing I was dreading is to see a sudden change of heart for the old man and bamm, that happens and it's so predictable it kills the fun 😡. I wanted Pandit to leave the family as it is and go to tirthyatra for the rest of his life. He follows 'shashtra' so much, there is this 'Baan-prastha' as part of last stage of one's life where he/she releases himself from all earthly matters and heads towards tirthyatra and devotes the rest of the life to achieve Moksha. I dont understand why old religious people who trouble their families so much with their tantrums and demands, don't follow this pratha as it's very scientific. Anyways, the point is the sudden change was not needed. 
  • Bringing political reference as in official involvements etc wasn't needed. I found it extra and stretchy, however some people around us were like why they didn't show it properly 😉 Guess they wanted the movie to stretch further and show scams and Govt'r role a bit more elaborately for them it ended too soon 😆 I found it unnecessary.
  • The last reference and attitude of Jaya's family, specially the dialog - My daughter is going to be an example - was SO OTT 🥱. I mean in such grave personal moment, who talks like that. 😆 I felt the director/writer has lost it while penning this down. 

That's all pros and cons from my side from story-telling point of view. Rest whatever questions the movie raises, however it was handled, the sketches of the characters from rural setback, or the level of hypocrisy shown in the grandmom's character who doesn't think TWICE before using the toilet when she herself is in trouble - everything was so bang on 👏. This is how people behave, specially the non-adjusting extremists. Unless they themselves are put in the situation, they never understand a point. 🥱 Anupam Kher's character was lovely and comic relief too specially when he says 'Beti ke ghar ka chaai paani toh peeke hi jaunga' 😆. 

1 star for the performance of the actors - ⭐️
1 star for highlighting all these issues and pointing out correctly that WHOM to blame - ⭐️
1 star for the comic relief throughout 😆 - ⭐️
0.5 star for the story-telling. 

1 star deducted for the predictability in the end 😆 
0.5 star deducted from the story-telling part for the half cooked hotch potch towards the end. 😆

3.5/5 stars from my side. 

P.S. - Some issues highlighted are not just village issues. Even Bachchan Family got Aish married to a tree before marrying her to Abhishek oh such educated high-class people 👏. Women not allowed to enter temples during those days are seen EVERYWHERE. Additional praises for these highlights 👏. 

Originally posted by: PhunsukWangdu

Finished watching it. It was 75% full. Good crowd for an afternoon show. 

Coming to the movie not many know about the open defecation problem that exists. It had to be addressed and that is done through this movie in an entertaining way. It does get preachy at times but not to a extent that you get bored. 

Akshay is good. Bhumi has impressed me with her performance. She needs to do more movies to get the required lime light. Anupam Kher becomes more and more a favorite every time I watch him on screen. What an actor.

Pretty decent direction for a first timer (I am assuming he is a first time director since I never heard his name earlier as director of any movie), quiet good sound track & screenplay. 

Movie has it heart in the right place, could have been certainly better but no complaints with this one either. 

Entertaining plus social message = worth watching. 

Pros:
Social message 
Entertaining
Very impressive cast

Cons:
Preachy at times

It has some BJP praising dialogues too. That is up to you to decide if it is a pro or a con.😉

Originally posted by: FreeBird03

My family watched it today and loved it :)

my dad said the 1st half of the movie is worth 5 stars... 

I am going to catch it soon!

Barring what Akshay does off screen which I can't stand

I loved this movie. It's not amazing but it's important and well made. Well performed by whole cast. Brings out many flaws in Indian society. Which makes all this super conservative issues look compete absurd

a good movie very enteraining firrst half

surpsrringly i liked the 2nd half more

Originally posted by: 09tanki

This movie take you on a village tour and show how people live their life with self made rules and regulation which r still being followed in many parts of India. I could relate every incident in the movie from lotta party, to drinking less water/avoiding food so that urge to go bathroom is less and its one of the main reason, our family hardly went back to our village. I still remember as kid, there use to be different group, 1st one to use open toilet which began at 4.00 (since sunrises early) were the ladies of the house who slept late after finishing household work, next group were kids followed by the male members. Searching the right place is like avoiding smelly landmines. Life in village was good but morning were nightmare but i know lot have changed since then. Overall this movie is good and enjoyable. Some may not like because it states PM Modi mission of swatch bharat and might see it as political movie. Being a bhaktain I loved it. 😆 There is nothing wrong to promote right message which could help society. 

Acting: Akshay is good as usual, Bhomi excel, but the surprise package were Nuru and his dad's. I loved Akshay dad's hairstyle and his acting, he is very talented actor and he should get more roles. 

There are many sad moment but people laughed out loud in all those scene. I loved in one scene Bhomi keeps banging all the vessel of the house, everyone is silent but crowd laugh. 

Its must watch movie of the year. Don't miss it.

Originally posted by: U_R_MY_BITCH

So today I saw the show in Single Screen surprisingly the show was not houseful as. I expected. It was around 70%, but this week it is raining really heavily, plus yesterday a tragedy struck as a tree fell down because of which so 3 people died and a whole route is cut off now. On top of the that rain is refusing tostop so it is understandable many people didn't showed up, especially the family crowd.although yesterday in cineplex it was houseful. But the movie was enjoyable from first to last. Since Bahubaali, this is the first movie I saw people enjoying so much in the hall. 
The story is very well maintained, although direction could have been better and editing in second half more crispier. But overall it was a good screenplay. It never made people bore, always engaging. Plus the humour even if not polished was always there. It was a laugh riot in the first half.
Although i have complain with the gloomy cinematography, as I believe pictures should always be bright if they are a comedy.This movie needed that too. but that is just a nit pick.
The movie has its heart at the right place. the issue of toilet focus more in hygiene here but more about the apathy of women because of the lack of toilet. And IMO that is correct decision by the TEPK team. 
Talking about performances, Akki is as usual excellent, especially the funny scenes he is outstanding. Plus when he cried in near the climax scene unlike Fan or Tubelight when people were laughing, here the whole hall was silent. Which shows how a good screenplay and good acting is important for people to feel empathy or sympathy for the character. 
Bhoomi is excellent actor. Her dialogue delivery her expressions and her dabang attitude were top notch. She looked sultry at one moment and nezt moment a strong woman with no compromise, yet like a loving wife tried to adjust and next moment a vulnerable human being who is suffering herself for a greater cause. Outstanding performance by her.
The actor who played Akki's brother is was such a comic relief. A sidekick like that is so important, IMO one of the reasons why Tubelight failed is because unlike Sultan and BB, Tubelight lacked an excellent actor in supporting role. But here Akki's sidekick here, his brother is an excellent actor with hilarious humour and acting ability. Especially the wedding proposal scene or when Akki 's dad slaps him as 9tanki said.
Anupam Kher is hilarious, he is a legend of acting, I don't think we can say much to praise him. his obsession about Sunny Leone is hilarious 😆.
the actor who played his dad is one of my fab, right since the Hum Saath Aath Hain show in Starplus. His acting, even though they made up situational comedy, was great. He reminded me of my granddad who was also a strict and stubborn brahamin.
Jaya's parents were superb, especially her dad. His unabashed attitude and progressive nature really impressed. Had every girl had a dad like her, we would not have any problems for female in the world. rest of the cast or cameos were also beautifully done. Music is not great, but Bakheda and Has pat pagli grows on you.
Overall a must watch.

Originally posted by: ZanduBaaM

after dangal now TEPK 

Watched the movie today in a houseful theater and Bhakts are mostly coming with family to see government propaganda movie 😛

Thums up to Akshay Kumar ... Guts to make this movie 👏

It takes guts for a commercial superstar to touch on such taboo topic 👏

Radhe Radhe 

Akshay Bhumi and whole cast acted well and send message without too preachy... Jaya portray a role of village girl with ease  and she totally right when she said all women deserve better sanitation. It is shame to the household who does not have the four-walled facility.

This movie is purely made for the public, for all citizens of India that they should aware about clean India and safety for women too.  This movie has got heart and a perfect story with powerhouse performances from all of its actors that convincingly deliver its message A full-on "paisa vasool" entertainer.

Acting

Akshay: Akshay excellently portray role of married men jisko gharwalo se bhi balance rakhna hai aur wife se bhi ..

Bhumi :- performed above expectation

Akshay father  Great

Akshay brother ... One word awesome

Casting is awesome

Some dialogue

Main ladies gents main fark na karta isliye mujhe train pasand hai wahan toilet main gents ladies na hota ji

Yeh meri muhboli behan hai main chahe isse chai doon ya rai aaapko kya lena

Nafrat karne main time nahi lagta pyar samjhne main lagta hai

Chasme se leke joote tak sare brand nakli videhi hai lekin sala aadmi desi hai

Songs

Lathmaar : lovely

Has mat pagli pyar ho jayega : mast

Scene

AKshay went to Jaya house for marriage propsal ...sunny leone ya mallika sherawat  

Akshay marriage dance everyone in theater laughing hard

And that panchayat secen shown kaise pandit aadhe aadhore gyan se public ka bevkoof banate hai

Toilet todne wala scene ...Akshay acting superb

Anupam Kher Vs Akshay Baap scene was good..if you change nothing ..Nothing will change

All people were clapping when women throw lota and fight with their husband

Jis tan lagi wo tan jane ..koi na jane peer parai 👏

And when minister said jab hamare PM desh ki bhalai ke liye notebandi kara sakte ...all people were clapping 😆

That scene when akshay father in the end talk with Jaya ..and Akshay said Bimaar hai kya and mere toilet ka udhghaatn to bahu ke hath se hi hoga

Message is conveyed far more effectively. The movie is bound to create a lot of impact and social awareness in public.

Every girl need father like Jaya Father 👏

After this movie I can say apni biwi ki izzat ke liye toilet banana jayda better hai  tej mehal se

its good to see people enjoying the movie 

4* out of 5 ... 3 star for movie and 1 star for subject 

20 minute choti hoti to 5 main se 5

Originally posted by: don12

Watched 9:45 PM show in a Single Screen theater. It was almost 80% full. i was not sure about this movie. Subject was not interesting to me but at the end of the movie it completely changed...😊

First half is funny..Akshay Kumar was brilliant with his comic timing..
Second half was little bit stretched. They could have easily cut it by 10-15 min but no complains.

Akshay,Bhumi and Divyendu were brilliant in the movie. Every character is important in the movie but Akshay rules in this one. I am surprised how Akshay is picking right scripts. He at one time was giving flop after flop but post Special 26 he has been brilliant.

I did not liked the songs but they did not stopped the flow of the movie.

The biggest clap was reserved for Bhumi when she blasts LOTA gang just after interval.

This movie is a must watch for sure. It just tells you why having Toilet is a must for India for cleanliness drive and safety of girls in village as well. Content is the king. If you make good movie people are gonna watch it no matter what.

I will give 4 stars out of 5.

Originally posted by: Shaitan-Haiwan

Watched this today. Amazing movie with a very strong message! It wasnt a perfect movie though - there were a couple of potholes, which can be over-looked.

Akshay Kumar is on a roll. Since OMG in 2012 - his whole script sense has changed...One brilliant film after another. I feel like his recent filmography is the strongest amongst any other individual in Bollywood - dare I say it he's second only to Amitabh!!

Bhumi, loved her in DLKH - she is such an underrated actress. She can easily out-act any of the current top actresses. She's a strong talent and I hope she doesnt fizzle out because of nepotism! 

Divyendu was also very hilarous and a great addition to the cast. 

Must watch folks! 

Originally posted by: AnikaLoveshivay

Watched this movie yesterday 
Akshay Kumar latest Movie "TOILET" is not a movie but a propaganda , so to me its "bullshit" not a movie .
Laughable thing is that their are  a few dialogues in the movie which arr like..

1. No corruption happened in last 3 years in India after Modi became PM of India all corruption happened before 2014. 
2.Our PM is working day and Night for us .
3.Demonetisation was one of the best thing happened in this country and it have benefited the poor  a lot.
4.Dont blame the government and expect everything from government.
And many other things which Modi says in his rallies.

Its known to everyone that Akshay Kumar is a fake nationalist but didn't knew he is a chamcha of Modi.

Edited by TheSoundOfMusic - 6 years ago
llanswerll thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Seems Anupam Kher loved the movie.
BM

Atleast 150 or bust
Pehchaan.Kaun thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Good luck to Akki and and team TEPK 👍🏼
-Piku- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Supriya Sahu IAS @DG_Doordarshan  
More

Watched premiere#ToiletEkPremKatha Pathbreaking narrative.Huge push [email protected] performances.@akshaykumar @psbhumi @paramiyer_

Virendra Sachdeva @VirendraSachde2  
More

First screening worldwide of @ToiletTheFilm vd @nstomar @MaheishGirri @akshaykumar @AnupamPkher @psbhumi at CP

BornHyper thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: llanswerll

Seems Anupam Kher loved the movie.

Isn't he also an actor in this movie ?
Too_Much thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Will be a good movie to watch...
Not another 50 year old asking his 55 year old father "babu meri vaya karado". 

Whats up with these heroes and not being married at 50.

will wait for reviews before deciding to watch it or not. its not like anushka is there.