They should not change the truth

mainkaun thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
I understand it is fresh look and not old style show, but they should stick to the truth.. such as..
- Mandodari & Sulochana was always against war
- Sulochana never went to fight against Laxman
- Ram did not have chariot untill last day...

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Kal El thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Actually, there are many different versions of the Ramayan in different regions of the subcontinent and south east asia. If I remember correctly, around 300 such versions have been documented till date. Each version adds new story elements or presents the same story in a different manner, etc. The serial's writer has tried to include elements from many of these versions. They are doing something new instead of the "standard story". I think it's interesting and innovative. 😃 Edited by Kal El - 17 years ago
mainkaun thumbnail
There may be 300 version but most of them are in align with each other, i dont think any of them has Sulochana going to war. And in order to be innovative and advance you do not have to change the truth that majority of people believe in. Sorry I dont agree there.
mainkaun thumbnail
Most of us are confused as is and dont know half of the truth, they do not need to confuse us anymore...
memsaab thumbnail

Originally posted by: Kal El

Actually, there are many different versions of the Ramayan in different regions of the subcontinent and south east asia. If I remember correctly, around 300 such versions have been documented till date. Each version adds new story elements or presents the same story in a different manner, etc. The serial's writer has tried to include elements from many of these versions. They are doing something new instead of the "standard story". I think it's interesting and innovative. 😃

exactly..
pathaksp thumbnail
i heard that sulochana went for war against laxman but i think war does not exist btw sulochana & laxman.the reason is there.but i dont know the reason.
Kal El thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: mainkaun

There may be 300 version but most of them are in align with each other, i dont think any of them has Sulochana going to war. And in order to be innovative and advance you do not have to change the truth that majority of people believe in. Sorry I dont agree there.

No, actually they are not all "in align" with each other. There are major differences in many of the versions. Sulochana went to war with Laxman in the Javanese version for instance. If you study these versions you'll be surprised at the differences. In one version, it is Sita who ends up killing Ravan not Ram. In several other versions, Sita is really Ravan's daughter. Mandodari is implied to have beeen originally Dasharath's wife in another version. Hanuman is the son of Ram and Sita in yet another version. And so on and so forth.

The "truth" here is subjective and open to interpretation. Plus only a few of these versions are publicized today. Please realize that the story of the Ramanaya was passed down orally from generation to generation and kept getting translated from one language to another which is why we ended up with so many different versions of them. For the ppl of each region, their version has been the  "truth" for them for generations.

The serial is not trying to "confuse" anyone. They are just trying to show us some hitherto unknown/neglected variants of the story based on their research. And you talk about what "majority of ppl have believed in"...well in that case you've missed the whole point of this show: they want to show us the other side of the story, the things that most ppl are not aware of, to tell the story in a new light. :) Please do not panic: this serial will not suddenly change the "truth" or drastically alter the Ramayana forever. 😆  It is just their interpretation of the epic. 😊

Take my advice: just relax and enjoy the ride. 😉

Edited by Kal El - 17 years ago
mainkaun thumbnail
All of us has relaxed too much that's why we have so many versions...(I dont think i want to relax.. 😛 )
And here they are trying to set one more.
May be they should reference the version they are using for their show so we will know what is their intention.

I do not agree to your line "...Please realize that the story of the Ramanaya was passed down orally from generation to generation..."
Most of us know that Valmiki wrote Ramayana even before Ram was born. May be I am wrong, but ppl can confirm it.
Darshils thumbnail

Originally posted by: mainkaun

I understand it is fresh look and not old style show, but they should stick to the truth.. such as..
- Mandodari & Sulochana was always against war
- Sulochana never went to fight against Laxman
- Ram did not have chariot untill last day...

I agree with u completely there... Also Ram was not angry with Lachiman (as i like to call him- from ramcharitmanas) on the killing of Indrajeet... in ramayan yagyas have been protected and destroyed... those have been protected which did good as a whole for the community (eg. vishwamitras against marich) and indrajeets (and later ravan's) was destroyed as they were fighting for injustice. Note.. i am not against raavan.. instead i believe that raavan is a mahatma (as valmiki ramayan rightly says)- ramcharitmanas hints at this by saying that raavan is an avataar (of jay-vijyaya story) and thus is only playing a role.

Although there are many versions of the ramayan (which i agree), some of the versions are 1. not great references and 2. sideline-versions of the truth. The one version which should be considered as a focus is the ramcharitmanas (and ofcourse the valmiki ramayan). NB. I amnot dissing other versions... but the other versions don't fall in line of the truth that would help us get there.

mainkaun thumbnail
Well said, the point is that eventhough there are many version, it is important to go with the truth that majority ppl believe in.
When ppl are loosing interest in ramayana, we do not need to worry or focus on other side of it. First get to know the basic then go to the advance cource.