WHY WHY WHY?!?!?!??! 24 more hours

Ms. Bholi Bhali thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Sorry, I am frustrated and annoyed!!!

Why is Hijab such a big issue????

it is Muslim Women who are wearing it. why is it a problem for others??? and recently what is the problem with TONY BLAIR!!!?!?!?

Veiling, and covering head and body is not only in Islam, but in every relgion, then why is it a problem if Muslims are practicing it????😡 

this is too much. why are others interfering with the religion they don't belong to??? why don't they see, if they are doing what their religion is saying actually!!!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Anoli thumbnail

wt does Hijab mean?😕😳

Take Care

Anoli

xxx

sowmyaa thumbnail
Saba, I am not sure what you are talking about. Can you please be little more descriptive. Is your frustration related to some current news or anything? Sorry, but I am not sure what article you are talking about?

However, below is the topic we had discussed on DM very recently. Please let me know if you would like to add more to it 😊

Veil off.....and I will hear you out!Edited by sowmyaa - 17 years ago
Sorry, I was angry, and forgot to put the link.

here it is:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6219626.stm

it is the highlights of the speech. I saw on the news.

why is he concerned for rights of Muslim Women?? Diversity means to have ppl living in their own life style at one place. not force them to become one, and tell them to live there.

and if they are covering their face or head, what is his problem?
*dels* thumbnail

something related to this topic:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3708444.stm

Muslim girl shaves head over ban
Cennet Doganay
Cennet Doganay says French law does not respect her
A 15-year-old French Muslim girl has beaten the ban on Islamic headscarves in schools by shaving her head. Cennet Doganay was banned from classes for wearing a headscarf - as it went against the new law banning religious signs in schools, introduced this term. At school on Friday she said: "I will respect both French law and Muslim law by taking off what I have on my head and not showing my hair." Many Muslims believe modesty requires women to cover their hair in public. The issue of wearing the hijab - as the traditional headscarf is called by Muslims - has sparked controversy across Europe, with states taking different approaches. France decided to ban all religious symbols in state schools, including large Christian crucifxes, Sikh turbans and Jewish skullcaps. As the law was introduced in September, schools were told not to automatically exclude pupils who arrived wearing headscarves, but to try and avert a showdown through dialogue. Respect Cennet, whose family is of Turkish origin, had only been allowed into the study room at her school in Strasbourg since early September, as they negotiated her return to class without a headscarf. With her newly-shaven look, she was allowed into school on Friday. She told journalists waiting outside: "I respect the law but the law doesn't respect me." Her mother said Cennet had tried everything "a beret, a bandana - but they still refused to let her into class".

"She has been traumatised since the start of term. But all she wanted to do was go to school like everyone else," she told French news agency AFP.

Reports say about 120 schoolgirls across France insisted on keeping their headscarves at the start of term, but most have since given in under threat of expulsion.

huh??

wow, and this way they are spreading justice and equality and fighting for "human rights", prejudicism and all kinds discriminations!!!

great!!!

mermaid_QT thumbnail

Unfortunately, the debate is actually out of my league, as I don't always follow certain"traditional aspects of behaviour"suggested by my religion. I don't let them "hamper" my current life-style. At the end of the day, I still don't find myself faithless / disrespecting my religion.  This makes it hard for me to  FEEL what these hurt people experience when questioned about their beliefs and are forced to act against.
One may call me flexible, or one may call me someone who lacks true devotion to one's religion. This thread reminds me of Dr. Abhi's thread "Is religion overrated?"

I am not SUPPORTING the hijab ban in France at all, and I sympathise with the ladies that are hurt by it, but at the same time, I wonder why is it that certain people are so dead against it? Are all of them uninformed, ignorant, unjust and pure heartless?

Having lived in Mumbai during the Babri Masjid incidence and riots that followed, I have myself witnessed Burkha-clad men participating in destructive and anti-social activities. However, I do understand that "banning Burkha in school" has nothing to do with clandestine anti-social elemets misusing something sacred such as hijab.   
According to me, the problem is that we live in a world that is violent in the name of religion. Constant fear and the feeling of hatred (mostly based on judgments, yet sometimes on experiences) leads people into becoming extremists. They make extreme rules ignoring the vitality of certain religious practices. I do agree that abiding by these new rules must be very hard for loyal followers of certain religion (it could be any of the many), who believe in these centuries-old rituals and traditions and choose to abide by them.

About the equality and anti-discrimination, why not?  If hijab is what identifies a child as DIFFERENT from the rest and perhaps is scorned at, then lack of it may actually provide equality and a feeling of belonging to the rest of the crowd??  Just a possibility?? I am not commenting whether it is right or wrong / whether it scars one's "being themselves". That also is unfortunately possible.

mQTEdited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago

Other than the link Sowmyaa provided there is another interesting thread where many DMers provided their point of view on 'Religion and Us in today's time'. 

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=482278&K W=religion

Originally posted by: mermaid_QT

I don't always follow certain"traditional aspects of behaviour"suggested by my religion. I don't let them "hamper" my current life-style. At the end of the day, I still don't find myself faithless / disrespecting my religion. 

Beautifully said. I concur to this thought.

kabhi_21 thumbnail
I actually am not aware of the peinciples in muslim culture for hijab so wont be able to comment on that.....

But I can say that there are many flaws in muslim laws forbidding the equality in men and women in their religion itself.... which was very striking in this world....

but as it is I dont hv any right to comment on that not being from the religion 😊