Veil Off........and i will hear you out

Posted: 13 years ago

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5411954.stm

I personally don't mind if a woman decides to wear the veil. I can see were a muslim woman who wears the veil may feel ofended in someone asks for them to remove it, but Jack Straw did actually state that 'its a request'. What i don't understand is that why can't he commute with an individual who wears the veil? How can it be a communication barrier? Surely each individual should be respected for its diversity. UK....a tolerant mulicultural society?

0 Likes this
The news hit the headlines, as Jack Straw has suggested women wearing veils which cover the face can make relations between communities more difficult, and revealed that he asks women visiting his constituency surgery to consider removing them. The views were varied overall as it isn't actually stated in the Quran to wear the veil but there has been contradictions on this view.

"I suppose it's their religion and that's what they feel they have to wear.

So for that reason it's a little bit strong to say they should take it off.

Everyone should be allowed to follow their own religion."

"I think that he doesn't have anything to say about this because really it's up to the Muslim women, and I respect that.

"They are human beings following their religion. They are respecting God and that is why they are doing that. He (Jack Straw) is just a man, like all of us, so I don't think he can argue with that."

I think he's wrong, because a woman wearing a niqab is not allowed to show her face to anyone but her husband, maybe her uncle, and just her children.

Not even all other family members can see her face. Not many woman do wear this. I wear a hijab, my face is open so it's not a problem for me.

"But it's not a problem for communication - he needs to stop and listen as this is the main thing."

Some of the thoughts are highlighted above
0 Likes this
ermm..you guys might call me racist if i say that yes i agree with him Ouch
because yes i do, another lady of law was involed saying that she deals with such cases where she doesn't allow any of her visitors to wear a veil..
there is a reason for this..the comment that was made is NOT baseless..
the job that the lady deals with is a job that requires a lot of understanding and she said that this understanding between the client and the professional has a lot to do with facial expressions and yes its true!
how can you interview someone when you dont know how they are reacting to your questions, are they nervous, scared or even confident?! Confused and it shows a lot like if your capable to do the job or not..
and remember please..jack straw 'requested', he did NOT order Wink
although i do understand the other side of the story and the reason why they wear it but jack straw says he will provide a lady trabslator or something so that they do not feel uncomfortable Wink
so overall i think he is right..i hope you guys dont take offence, its just what i thought and they are kinda right after all they are thinking from a professional view point even though yes, it may be necessary to think froma religious view point too..
and btw..yes..in east london..it is full of asians! believe me..and mostly muslims.. Smile i dont know if you;ve heard of it but 'green street' has a lot of multi-cultural people of which i;d say 8/10 wear a niqab Confused and yes, England is a multi-cultural country..

Tina xx
0 Likes this
Good points groovychick, but i don't think it is a communication barrier to talk to someone wearing a veil. I thought Jack Straw was just trying make the relationships between the ethnic minorities groups better. I don't know anyone personally who wears the niqab but if they choose to i would respect that because thats what the UK is about a tolerant multicultural society.

But my views are beggining to change now, he is starting to lose his grip on the white community. Comments that he made just incited racial hatred. He may have had a valid point but i believe in his own selfish intentions.

Yes, Groovychick we are a multicultural society, but the question is are we all tolerant of other races, cultures or religions?
0 Likes this
Well I think anyone should be able to wear whatever they want as per their religious belief. But if it is a "request" it should be treated like one. People already have a choice to wear it or not. He is not proposing any law or forcing anyone to change their attire. I would just read news and do what i want to.

About communication with veil or hijab you can always see face and expression. it is only when one is wearing "burqa" or "niqab" that i understand it could be hard to communicate for some. but with hijab or veil i think one can easily see their face..not sure why this fuss then.
0 Likes this
Jack Straw makes perfect sense to me.

If you look at the essay on the last page of Time Magazine (Oct 16), written by Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, she says "It is time to speak out against this objectionable garment and face down the obscurantists who endlessly bait and intimidate the state by making demands that violate its fundamental principles. That they have brainwashed young women, born free, to seek self-subjugation breaks my heart. Trained creatures often choose to stay in their cages even when released. I don't call that a choice.

I would not propose that Muslim women should be stopped from wearing what they choose as they walk down the street, although to be sure, there are practical problems with the niqab. I have seen Muslim women who have been appallingly beaten and forced to wear it to keep their wounds hidden. Veiled women cannot eat in restaurants, swim in the sea or smile at their babies in parks. But the most important reason for opposing the veil is one of principle. So long as it ensures genuinely equal standards for all, a liberal nation has no obligation to extend its liberalism to condone the most illiberal practices. State institutions as well as private companies should have the right to stipulate that a person whose face cannot be seen need not be served. That would not discriminate against Muslims; it would for example also affect men whose faces were obscured by motorcycle helmets. The principle expressed in other words, would not be anti-Muslim, but one in favour of communication."
0 Likes this
The hidden message in Mr. Straw's humble request is very clear, imo. For example, Muslim female athlets have been complaining about physical, social, and mental restrictions applied to them for participating in world sports events. It's certainly difficult for them to take part in certain sports like swimming etc. with such strict religious dressing requirements. Straw is not only requesting 'Remove full veils', he is reassuring full govt. support for any of such actions. He is indirectly addressing the religious militia to stay away from imposing such stone-age customs.

0 Likes this
Punjini, you seem to be genralising on how women are oppressed who wear the niqab. Many women do choose to wear the niqab do live fullfilling lives. Yes! Is that life is for women in singapore who choose to wear the niqab. Your views were quiet biased and you have sterotyped quiet alot. I myself believe that practising your religion is a personal choice and others shouldn't have the right ti intrevene. You haven't met too many different beings from yourself, yes i can see that quiet clearly.
0 Likes this