Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Shama thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Indian Idol, and The Wisdom of Crowds

The final episode of Indian Idol was good fun, with Amit Sana and Abhijeet Sawant both singing beautifully. Sana had come second in the last round, and I'd speculated in a previous post that his fans would be more motivated to vote than Sawant's, because they'd be eager to catch up, while Sawant's could get complacent. I'd also written that Sana's rumoured throat infection might actually help mobilise his base further. In the event, there didn't seem to be much wrong with his throat, and his performance was wonderful.

Sawant is a complete package, tall and good-looking in addition to being a fine singer, and his voice has both both clarity and depth. But Sana is better at the harkats, the little embellishments and improvisations that a singer adds to the songs. This was most evident in the third song that they sang. Both were given the same song to sing, an original number created specially for the occasion. It was a mediocre composition and a terribly boring song, but Sana added all kinds of delicate harkats to it, and ended with a wonderful scat that indicates that he can sing a lot more than playback. Sawant didn't add so many harkats, but he made it sound as energetic and fresh that Sana had.

The judges seemed to favour Sana a bit, showering him with praise and giving him a standing ovation, but in my book, whoever wins deserves it, and whoever loses out nevertheless has a fine career ahead. Indian Idol may have begun with the intention of creating one big star, but it has actually given birth to quite a few of them – Sawant, Sana, Rahul Saxena, Rahul Vaidya, Prajakta Shukre and Aditi Paul all have wonderful careers ahead, and their market price per live show must already be in the lakhs. I don't know how restrictive Sony's contract with the winner will be, but the runner-up might actually end up making more money than him in the medium term.
simple320 thumbnail

Originally posted by: thhikana

by the way, AMIT SANAsang Chand mera dill!!!!! NOT Abhijeet! it is Amit's solo!!!! Amit also sang "mohabbat keya hain"

Abhijeet sang "aa dill kya mehfill" & "mill gaya" with Prajakta

i m pretty shocked to know u r such a big fan of Abhijeet n cant rcogn his voice!!!

anyway thanks for being honest in ur review......😊

i was actually talking about the song hum kissise kum nahin but i just called it chaand mera dil....i hope u understand wut i was trying to say...... and i can single out abhijeet's voice anyday.....and amit's tooo😊

Edited by simple320 - 18 years ago
Shama thumbnail
Music masti, beer bash

(From top) Launch of Tanmoy Bose's CD; Indian Idol runners-up Amit Sana at Shisha; 

Amit Sana, the Indian Idol runners-up, dropped into Virgose, the resto bar at HHI late on Saturday to get a first-hand feel of the party scene in Calcutta.

"Back home in Bhilai, there are really very few options as far as partying is concerned. Calcutta seems to have a throbbing nightlife," said Amit.

Accompanied by the 107.8 Power FM team, the boy from Bhilai hit the dance floor with Kajarare and Dus bahane before breaking into Chal diye from his debut album.

After his share of fun at Virgose, Amit hopped over to Shisha where he partied into the morning.

Shama thumbnail
Meditating with music
ZEESHAN JAWED
Amit Sana at the Power 107.8 FM studio on Friday. Picture by Rashbehari Das

He is your quintessential small-town boy with big dreams in his eyes. And thanks to Sony TV's Indian Idol, Amit Sana is on the right track to stardom.

A resident of Bhilai and son of a clerk in a steel manufacturing company, it would have been difficult for Amit to achieve his dreams but for the popular reality television show.

"Singing was not a passion for me. It was my meditation. I always dreamt of making it big in Mumbai, but the dream would never have come true had Indian Idol not happened," says Amit, in Calcutta on Friday to promote his first album titled Chal Diye.

"The credit goes to Sony for unearthing talent from nondescript parts of the country and giving them a platform to prove themselves," he smiles.

Chal Diye was released nationally last month. "The distant dream of cutting my own album has finally come true. Chal Diye has 10 songs that are a melange of romance and melody," he adds.

Next on Amit's agenda is making it big in Bollywood. "I have already sung three songs for films out of which two are for Anu Malik."

It's been months, but the loss to Abhijeet Sawant in the finals of Indian Idol still hurts the youth who is indebted to his family for supporting — and even pampering — him .

"I was completely heart broken with the decision. Once you make it to the top two, you are in no way inferior to the other. But maybe Abhijeet kept his nerve better in the crucial final moments," he recounts.

Amit has taken the loss in his stride. "Embracing failure was the biggest lesson Indian Idol taught us. Had I been bogged down by the failure, Chal Diye would have remained a dream," he says.

With Mohabbatein lutaonga, the chart buster by Abhijeet, ruling the charts, does Amit feel insecure about his efforts going unnoticed? "He deserves the position and fame he has got. But I have also done my work sincerely and honestly. Rest, time will tell."

thhikana thumbnail

Originally posted by: simple320

i was actually talking about the song hum kissise kum nahin but i just called it chaand mera dil....i hope u understand wut i was trying to say...... and i can single out abhijeet's voice anyday.....and amit's tooo😊

ook! theres 4 diff songs! so i was wondering bcoz abhijeet didnt sing "chand mere dill" & ofcourse its one my very favs!!!😊

Edited by thhikana - 18 years ago
thhikana thumbnail

Amit Sana - The Indian Idol Runner's Up came to town at Power FM

Amit Sana was exclusive on Power 107.8 FM studio on 12th August '05 to launch his new Album 'CHAL DIYE'. So catch him live.

3 lucky couples who have won a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet and greet Amit Sana in person only on FM 107.8 Power FM ... All Hits All Day were Mrinmoyee, Madhurima & Arindam Sharma. Others who have won CDs are Padmini Gupta, Debopriya Guha, Amartya Mukherjee, Debolina Banu, Ankita, Arkadeep Banerjee, Anuja Ranjan, Paromita Dey & Anirudha Sengupta.

Edited by thhikana - 18 years ago
raghavg thumbnail
i didnt knew there are other fans of amit comparable to me,but challenge,i'm d gr8est
Shama thumbnail
Hey raghavg,gr8 to meet u!!!!!!!! 😃
Shama thumbnail
 Amit Sana wants to learn Western music

August 22, 2005

Amit SanaThere's lots happening in the life of 22-year-old singer Amit Sana.

The Indian Idol runner-up has released his solo album, in which he worked with Bollywood music director duo Vishal-Shekhar. Vidya Prabhu catches up with Amit to get the latest.

Your first album, Chal Diye has just been released.

Yeah, I've given it my best shot and now I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

What was it like to work with the successful music director duo Vishal-Shekhar?

It was a great experience. We had a blast even as we recorded the songs in the studio. What's more, they always encouraged me to perform better and I cannot thank them enough for that.

The album has only one original composition.

Yeah. I would have loved to have more original tracks on this album, but we had to go with just one, Chal diye, mainly due to time constraints.

Your album also has a remix rendition. Does that mean you are comfortable with the idea of remixes?

It all depends on the way in which the song has been remixed. A song can be remixed in a good way, provided it enhances the beauty of the song and at the same time, retains its original essence.

How is the song Mohabbatein lutaaunga (popular as Indian Idol Abhijeet Sawant's theme song) also a part of your album?

It is an altogether different song, both in terms of the lyrics and the music. That's why it is also called The Amit Sana Story.

Cliched question, but how has Indian Idol changed your life?

To put it in a nutshell, in every possible way. Life will never be the same for me. Life in Bhilai was very simple. But now I have changed a lot, especially in terms of my attitude. In that sense, I have become a very complex person. But some things will never change, such as my love for my hometown, Bhilai. And yes, at times, I myself miss the old, innocent Amit Sana.

So you aren't innocent any more?

(Laughs)

Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

I am an 'ambivert'. To put it simply, I love hanging out with my friends, but it does take me a while to break the ice with strangers.

How have you adjusted to this drastic change in your lifestyle?

Initially, it was very difficult for me, but now I am getting used to it. In any case, it is the price of success.

Amit SanaIs another album in the pipeline?

It is too early for me think of another album as my first offering has just released. If all is well and I get a good response for this one, I am certainly going to churn out more albums in the future.

Do you intend to take up playback singing in the future?

While I am certainly not averse to the idea of playback singing, I see myself as more of a pop artiste and seek to establish myself as one.

If not a singer, you would have been….

A computer professional.

You have undergone training in Hindustani classical music.

Yes, I have learned it for a good 12 years now and I also play the tabla and harmonium quite well.

So do you plan to continue your training in music?

Not as far as Hindustani music is concerned. But I would love to learn Western music.

Your inspiration would be… ?

Singer Sonu Nigam for his versatility. Needless to say, he is also my favourite singer.

Your favourite song?

It would be very difficult for me to pin down any one song as my favourite, as there are so many of them that I count as my favourites. But I am absolutely in love with the song Perfect fan by the Backstreet Boys, not to mention the song Dil hai tapta sahra by Bombay Vikings.

Shama thumbnail

REVIEW: CHAL DIYE, Amit Sana

Chal Diye is the only original number in the entire album [No, there's also Mohabbatein Lutaoonga - read on to find out why!]

No offence meant to Abhijeet Sawant fans, but Sana looks more confident and at ease on-screen! This beautifully compliments the theme of the song. It is somewhat similar to 'Tanha Dil' by Shaan but the similarities end here!

The song talks about one accepting life as it is without questioning fate! Amit sings with full josh, which makes it for a pleasant hearing! To repeat the repetitive one, Amit has a great future in singing! Amit Sana chal diye... zindagi ko gale se lagane...

A remix version of it appears too, at the end, but looks quite similar to the original one, and is not differentiable! Quite a decent listen, nonetheless.

Next comes Mohabbatein Lutaoonga, and now as promised, I reveal why this is an original. Guys, this' not the only that the duo sang pre-finale! Tune may be the same but lyrics differ. It goes like:

Mohabbatein lutaoonga... Main ched ke mann ka saaz saaz phir gaaoonga... phir aapke dil ko aaj aaj behlaaongaa... jo haar gaya woh jung jeet ke aaoonga... Woh jung jeet ke aaoongaaa...

No prizes for guessing what the 'jung' is all about! Amit again does full justice to the opportunity given to him [This is quite obvious, as he wouldn't have made it to the finals if it was otherwise!] Listen to this one guys! You'll love it for sure.

Now the one with which Sana captured a million of hearts... Hold your breath for... Woh Kisna Hai. After the dude sang it in the final episode, it became so popular that it became his trademark. If you remember, and I am sure you do, Kajol herself stood up to applause the great performance! Here's your Kisna only for you. Go, listen to it!

~~~~~

Now for the others. No, the other Indian Idol contestants do not feature here. I'm talking about the other songs comprising this album! There are six of it! Check it out for yourself if you do not believe me!

The music composition remains the same in all. The original is retained; only the voice is of Sana. All same otherwise.

Sana does a Sonu in Tanhayee (Deal Chahta Hai), and does pull the sad song very well, must say. Good to see him excel in all types of songs!

Ek Ajnabee Haseena Se follows next. Amit does well, and the song makes for a good hearing!

A big song Hum Kisise Kam Nahin comes up soon after. Duration: 08:24 (mm/ss, and not hrs/mins). Wakao!

A ______ of various songs (a combination, but there's a better word, which I cannot recall), it focuses Amit in various moods right from the beginning till the end!
Friends, MSians, Indians, lend it your ears!

Dooriyan is yet another follow-up, of which album/film is it, I am unaware of! Let me know if you do have any info regarding this! Featuring rap arrangements in between at regular intervals, a good one overall!

Sana now comes up with Pehla Nasha (Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikander - I know this one :-)), and his innocent voice has into bondage your diligent ear.

The only negative one so far. Ishq Di Galli Vich may be enjoyable but one major highlight of the song spoils the entire mood of the song. Sana goes haywire while singing ''O ho ho ho... O ho ho ho'' Listen to it to get what I try to say. Otherwise, he does a marvelous job in the Punjabi track, must say!

Here, I must also mention that the only singer that comes to my mind whenever I hear this song is Akshay Kumar. He sang it exceptionally well on several occasions at various award ceremonies! So comparisons were inevitable, but this didn't impress me as much as other songs did. I know my impression doesn't matter, but still...

---------------

I don't think I should be rating the album, or the songs in general, as most of them are really cool ones, which have been successful in their times. Sana relives the memory of those successfully. This is all I want to say!

Now finally I hope this review does make some sense though I have not taken up much space analyzing each of the song. Again, I don't think I should do that for reasons mentioned above!

Thirdly, I have not even talked about the music arrangements of each song, or the album in general. This, too, is due to reasons mentioned above of above!

BUT... The only thing, the reason of which is different than that mentioned above, is that the album is a must only for Amit Sana fans. It will meet with a mixed response from a certain segment of the society, or should I say, customers! It's my say in any case, don't argue!

~~~~~

And lastly, though I have neither rated, nor commented on the songs or the album in general (for reasons mentioned above, yaar!), your duty should prompt you to rate this and move on to the Comments section without blinking an eyelid!

~~~~~