What is singing?

Vinayhere thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
Thanks to Indian Idol and the incredible rise in importance given to the social media lately, I have happened to read many people's thoughts and opinions that they came up with while judging contestants' performances. Some people, in fact many are with the opinion that the winner is supposed to be able to sing complex numbers (they mean classical numbers) and people who can't judge that kind of singing are not qualified enough to participate in voting. 

But that doesn't make sense to me at all. To me, every song is supposed to be composed or sung with the sole objective of impressing listeners or make it sound pleasant. The more listeners the song impresses, the bigger the credit. There shouldn't be a classification like easy songs and difficult songs as such. A professional singer is one who can make any song sound pleasant. Not all classical singers can sing songs like Tum hi ho with the right feel. Some great people created classical music with the intent of helping singers to posses the quality of singing any song with ease. That and only that should be the purpose of learning it, but should never be a parameter to judge a singer's potential. In M M Kreem's words, classical music is like a driver's license. The ones that have the permit to drive not necessarily can drive better than the ones that do not. Are you able to do justice to the lyrics, pick the right feel, respect the composition and last but not least, sing it from your heart? Then you are a good singer. If I have to be a singer too in order to be able to understand how good of a singer you are, then how does that make sense? 

If I seem to be supporting my inability to identify a classically-potential singer with this post, then I need to be corrected. Please feel free and find some time to correct me. I need to improve my perspectives.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Raina101 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
I wholeheartedly agree with MM Kreem and you.

One of Bollywoods best singers - Kishore Kumar wasn't a trained singer. KK is not a trained singer. Aren't both these absolute gems?

Unfortunately training can only polish a good voice. A good voice is something you are born with. Training teaches you how to use your voice well, it'll teach you modulation and other nuances. Are we saying these can't be learnt without formal training?

A lot of us on the forums didn't like Maalavikas voice. But she was a trained singer. A lot of people love Khudabakshs voice and he has no training.

To me if the song sounds good, i get the feeling the words want to convey, the singer has done a good job.
Vinayhere thumbnail
Thank you Raina. I find you way better than me at judging performances, so that coming from you makes me feel better.
Raina101 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Vinayhere

Thank you Raina. I find you way better than me at judging performances, so that coming from you makes me feel better.

thank you!!
ShanuP thumbnail
Agree with you both and wanted to add that, some songs/performances are mind blowing and some are heart touching. They give different experiences.. and i like to judge a performance with the experience i had listening to it. 
Lagan lagi which naga sang has that mind blowing effect to it. Its like watching a thriller movie and don't know whats coming next and liking it. And at the end of it your brain is satisfied with the logic, the twists and turns of story..

Lagan lagi which karunya sang was more effortless and joyous. 

Lagan lagi sung by arijith singh has more depth in the feel of the song and i felt that the depth of the lyrics are sooo felt while singing.. 

Every singer brings so much to the song. I think their personality will get reflected in the song. Even if we like all performances, we will connect to one version more. Which one it is will depend on what kind of of person we are and in what mood are at the moment. 

So in my opinion, singing as an art is form less. And how can we judge which is formless. So if the basic skeleton of the tune is matched. Rest all depends!!...

iambest thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
classical is not nececsary but its good to have a background of classical  ... Sonu Nigam is considered a better singer than all his 90 contermprory singer like udit or kumar sanu because he had versatility to sing classical as well as pop songs to filmy sad romantic to a song like kahan raja bhoj kahan gangu teli   where he completely change his voice to what is moible number to satrange re to dewana tera  , its better for a singer to keep on finding new heights than just getting easy with the comfortable genre n range of songsEdited by iambest - 7 years ago
ltelidevara thumbnail
Visit Streak 1000 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail + 8
Good post. Understood your point. But would like to add. 
Classical training definitely has an edge. It enables the singer to experiment with the song within the given parameters,sticking up to the raga and tal in which the song is composed. A classically trained singer would know where to take liberty and where to take it easy by retaining the original piece. An untrained singer fails if he tries to bring his own touch  as his knowledge is limited in this regard. 

Sonu Nigam reigns supreme among his contemporaries due to his grip on classical music.A singer can make lasting impact if he mixes his classical touch to the song and it makes the song touch the heart strings.Sukhvinder Singh said after hearing Rohit," Every one sang well but now I got mental bliss. 

So there lies the difference.While a singer like Revant can impress your mind,Rohit touches the heart strings This is my view.