Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 17 years ago

Dilemma of an unmarried widow!

Sony is all set to launch the last show of this year Kulvaddhu, a daily soap, set against the pageantry and rich cultural heritage of Rajasthan. Kulvaddhu is actor Anuj Saxena's debut as a TV serial producer. Commenting on the new daily, Albert Almeida, Executive Vice President and Business Head, Sony said, "With the launch of Kulvaddhu, we continue to give our viewers wholesome family entertainment that is fresh, innovative and original. The show is about a young girl caught in a web of traditions and customs that forces her to shoulder responsibilities that is alien to her. Her struggle to live up to the traditions she is trapped in, and her attempt to break free forms the crux of the story." "Destiny plays a very important role in the life of the protagonist. The daughter-in-law is the last entry in the family and how her entry affects the destiny of the entire family. The very name Niyati itself is very synonymous with destiny/luck ", says Sandiip Sikcand, Chief Creative Director, Sony.

Kulvaddhu is the story of a young, simple small-town girl, Niyati who comes to Mumbai to attend the wedding of Rajveer Rathore only to find herself caught in a bizarre situation. Instead of being the guest at the wedding, she finds herself engaged to a childhood friend Shourya. Before she can adjust to the situation, she lands up as the widow of the guy she hasn't married! What does destiny have in store for Niyati? Will she ever be able to reveal the truth to the family which dotes on her? Catch the daily at 8.30 pm from December 25.

http://www.screenindia.com/fullstory.php?content_id=14405

shruti thumbnail
Anuj and Juhi to work together again

RESHMA S KULKARNI

Anuj Saxena's recent display of his proximity to co-star Juhi Parmar has already set the rumour mills buzzing about wedding bells to ring between the two. Although Anuj chooses to maintain a nonchalant stand about the same, we have chanced upon a piece of grist that only adds to the speculation.
   According to sources, Anuj who has recently turned producer with Kulvaddhu on Sony is coming up with yet another soap this January wherein he has roped in Kkusum costar Nausheen Ali Sardar and 'good friend' Juhi Parmar. Quiz about this development and Anuj affirms saying, "Yes, it's true. Actually I was looking at casting Nausheen in Kulvaddhu itself, but she didn't suit any character in it and I did not want to waste her. Now, in this new show, Nausheen and Juhi fit the two lead characters, which is the reason I cast them and I am happy that they have agreed to it."
   Anuj is certainly set to create a stir by casting Juhi, so what does he have to say about that? "Frankly, I don't care a damn. You think I'd be hassled about all these things? Juhi is a dear friend, atleast as of now (laughs). And hence the proximity between us. People can speculate whatever they want to, after all an actor's life is meant to be open to speculation isn't it?"

bsmartguy thumbnail

THIS IS A "MEMBERS ONLY" POST
The Author of this post have chosen to restrict the content of this Post to members only.

shruti thumbnail

'I like to dream'

Daljit Kaur talks of being the newest face on television in the title role of 'Kulvaddhu' 

Coming from an army background, Daljit Kaur is being launched as the lead in Maverick productions first TV serial 'Kulvaddhu'. She quips, "When I met producer Anuj Saxena for the first time after I signed the contract, he told me 'you are going to be a star'. That's when I realized that this show is very big."

With a formidable star cast that comprises of Suhasini Mulay, Milind Gunaji, Sushmita Mukherjee and Kitu Gidwani, it's a dream come true for any newcomer. "And to top that, the channel and Anuj pamper me completely. I wonder if there is anything bigger left to be done. That's the reason I want to devote my complete attention on this show only and not look for more work now. Of course, I am bound by a contract but honestly, if you want to be mean there's nothing to stop you. But here, there is a verbal understand between us which I respect."

Daljit confirms that it's not been as tough to make her mark. "I was Miss Pune 2004, runner-up of Miss Navy, Mumbai and Miss Maharashtra Queen. I have also won Miss Beautiful Hair at a beauty pagent and was a finalist in the Miss Mumbai contest. With so many titles, I was bound to be noticed by the right people in the business," she quips.

Her debut came in the form of a role in 'Manshaa' (Zee) with Maanav Gohil who she considers as her guide. A few episodes of 'CID' and 'Aahat' that she acted got   Sandiip Sikcand of Sony to offer her the chance  to play the lead character of 'Kulvaddhu'.

Speaking about her role, Daljit confesses "Niyati is me, except that I am city-bred and she comes from a royal Jodhpur family. But like her, I am young, vulnerable and loves to dream but at the same time, am not ashamed to admit my mistakes."

On having chosen acting as her career, Daljit laughs "My dad is a retired Colonel and both my sisters are captains in the army. I am considered the delicate one. My sisters are proud of their job but I simply can't see myself joining the forces."

On her life right now, she says, " I am seeing someone who I will reveal in sometime. I have a great family and now a rocking show. I am settled in life, emotionally speaking too. Life has been kind. And I am not greedy for more. Life's bliss!"

monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I am ninety nine percent like the character I play in Kulvaddhu"

She is the new kid on the block. Daljit Kaur is the cute and smart girl next door who seems to have a good screen presence as well, which we sensed at the launch of Sony's new baby Kulvaddhu. Produced by Anuj Saxena's Maverick Productions, the big ticket show is being slotted in the 8.30 pm band. This army officer's daughter has won many beauty pageants before she thought of taking up acting as a career seriously. And lady luck came her way when the channel bigwigs spotted her in a Sony show and decided to cast her as the lead in Kulvaddhu.

Kavita Shyam caught up with the leading lady.

"With CID I won half the battle"

Let's begin from where you began?
I am an army officer's daughter and have been to all the places in India except Punjab. I am a sardarni and have two elder sisters who are also in the defence services posted in Mumbai and Bangalore. I have been a commerce student. In fact, for quite some time I was the brand ambassador for Selvi in Pune, along with handling their business.

Have you tried your hand at acting before Kulvaddhu happened?
I have done cameos and episodics in CID, Mansha and Raat Hone Ko Hai. Sandiip Sickand was flipping through channels and saw me in one of the episodes in CID and called me for an audition .So, for me CID was half the battle won as for as bagging the lead role in Kulvaddhu.

Can you jog down the memory lane a bit more for us?
As I remember, I was a spoilt and pampered child at home. Also, a complete tom boy and yet a delicate darling in the house while my sisters were the disciplined lot. I didn't think of getting into this profession until I became Ms Pune 2004, Ms Maharashtra, Ms Navy Queen (runners up) and a finalist of Ms Mumbai contest.

Did your parents have any reservations about your joining the glamour profession?
My parents wanted me to take up any profession which I'd enjoy working in and get married at the right time. Now they repeatedly keep watching the promo's of

"TV is giving me a good coverage"

Kulvaddhu and are proud of me.

Tell us about your role in Kulvaddhu?
Niyati is a small town girl who has dreams in her eyes. She is young, nave, full of values and a favourite with people. And she is in love with Shourya and her life changes when Shourya makes a confession to her before the wedding.

Do you relate yourself to the character you are playing in the show?
I definitely relate to her as she is a normal girl next door just like me. She's young, nave, vulnerable and makes mistakes. She wears saris and I too love wearing saris which is the USP. I am ninety nine percent like the character I play and the only difference is that I am a Punjabi with an army background and she is a simple Rajasthani.

How is Mumbai treating you and have you made any friends in the city?
I've been in the city for two years now and the city has been really good to me. I keep going to Pune to meet my parents. Manav Gohil and Shweta Kawatra are my good friends and I really look up to them for any kind of guidance.
I would like to pass on their goodness in the future when I make it big.

Do you aspire to join films?
I am very happy with television and the kind of coverage I am getting I couldn't have asked for more. I am getting into everyone's homes and my mother doesn't have to go to a movie hall to watch me perform. That's the charm of the medium and its feels great to be a part of it.

What is happening in your personal life and when is marriage on the cards?
I am seeing someone and he is from the industry. When the time is right I will talk about him and marriage is not on the cards in the near future.

Posted on 15 December 2006 7:30 pm
Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago
bsmartguy thumbnail

THIS IS A "MEMBERS ONLY" POST
The Author of this post have chosen to restrict the content of this Post to members only.

shruti thumbnail
'Tele-serials are my Retirement Benefit Scheme!'

Suhasini Mulay admits that TV serials are regressive

RESHMA S KULKARNI

From the politically-ambitious woman in the film Hu Tu Tu to the understanding career woman of Dil Chahta Hai, Suhasini Mulay has portrayed a multitude of matriarchal roles in these and some more films. But the lady has not just stopped at that; she has also donned the matriarchal hat for Jabb Love Hua and is set to do so once more with Sony's Kulvaddhu. One wonders what prompts her to play the submissive ma-type roles when she has already etched out a niche for herself in documentary-film making (Suhasini is a four-time National Award recipient for documentarymaking). "If there is anyone willing to give me better defined roles, please, they are always welcome!" remarks Suhasini, even as she laughs saying, "It's a great thing that so many different kinds of films are being made, most of these cater to the Gen-Y, which is why there is hardly any place for character artistes like me. And I don't see any prudence in sitting around for something like a DCH to come my way once in a decade. I have to earn; I have to eat. I am an actor and as long as I am convinced that my character is not just a mere prop who is sitting in a corner and shedding tears for her son without rhyme or reason, I have no qualms about doing it. After all, I am not getting younger by the day, am I?" But is there any real need for Suhasini to accept the same kind of roles in television serials that have been branded as regressive? "Well, TV serials are my 'Retirement Benefit Scheme'! They are my only definite source of income and keep my kitchen fires burning" laughs Suhasini, even as she adds, "I totally agree that our tele-serials are regressive but I have chosen to do serials that stick their neck out in this melee of regression. Also, there have been times when I have actually walked out of huge projects because they insisted me to spout some terrible lines that appalled my sensibilities. I walked out of the serials without glancing back!" Nowadays, Suhasini doesn't seem to be exploiting her knack for making documentaries. "It's not as if I have stopped making them. They are my life breath. In fact, I am making two very docus on traffic-management for urban centres. But yes, I have cut down on making documentaries, basically because it involves a lot of money that goes, not in making the documentaries, but down the throats of undeserving people. I'm not willing to shell out that kind of money and nor am I ready to curry favour with the greasy officials who need to be buttered up. Sorry, but I am happier doing films and tele-serials in that case!"

Malashetty thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

By A.L.Chougule

Shourya is the nice guy of Rathore family. He loves his father but his dadi is his confidante and great moral support. Studying in the USA, much against his father's wishes, Shourya comes to India for his cousin's marriage. Niyati comes from Jodhpur to attend the wedding as well. Shourya is Niyati's childhood friend and man of her dreams. For her it's like visiting her sasural. But there is a secret that Shourya whispers in Niyati's ears that changes her life forever. What could be the secret?
Imran Mashkoor Khan who plays Shourya in Kulvaddhu refuses to reveal the secret. "I am not allowed to talk about the story beyond five episodes," says the young actor who began his career on television about eight years ago with Maan. "The whole secret will be revealed gradually in over 25 episodes and that will lead to beginning of trouble for Niyati and others. Meeting Shourya after eight years Niyati falls completely in love with him. No matter what the impact of the secret on her as well as the family, Shourya is a non-negotiable factor in Niyati's life," explains Imran, who is happy to be playing a perfect romantic character after playing a neurotic man in Millie.
"There are various degrees of  shades to the character," gushes the  actor who also enjoyed playing the negative character in Millie. Kashmeer was another serial he had worked on though the show didn't last long. "I choose roles very carefully. I think it's better to do less but good work," says Imran who has moved from Delhi to Mumbai to work in Kulvaddhu.   Post-college he joined Aamir Reza Hussain's theatre group and started doing theatre in Delhi.
Be it The Legend of Rama, Barefoot in the Park, Goodbye Blue Sky and Kargirl – the 50-day War, he has done them all. He has fond memories of doing The legend of Rama because the play ran daily for four-and-half months. "It was a huge success and the entire cast was honoured by the President for doing the play on a daily basis for such a long time," he says. It is never easy for a Delhiite to live in Mumbai and the case with Imran is no different. "What I miss about Delhi is its food and the chilly winter," he says.
shruti thumbnail

KULVADDHU

Sony Mon 2030
It is a story of a young, simple girl, Niyati who is passionately in love with her childhood friend Shaurya. Both their families would like to formalise their childhood friendship into marriage. However a shocked Niyati realises that Shaurya does not reciprocate her feelings. At this point destiny compels the young Niyati in to a relationship to save the family's honour. She becomes the Kulvaddhu (family bride) of the Rathod family when she is not even legally married to Shaurya.

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/

Malashetty thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

ELVES AT PLAY! Christmas revelry engulfed the sets of Kulvaddhu, when its cast – Daljit Kaur, Kitu Gidwani and Milind Gunaji, got in a playful mood to dress their own 'Santa', Sandiip Sikcand, Chief Creative Director, Sony Entertainment Television. Premiering tonight, catch this serial Monday-Thursday at 8.30 pm. To know more, turn to

It's easy to play Niyati, as she's similar to me'

Miss Pune 2004, one of the finalists of Miss Mumbai 2005, Miss Beautiful Hair, and now, Niyati, the lead protagonist of Kulvaddhu, the new serial on Sony Entertainment Television… Daljit Kaur shares her journey with us

"It is easy for me to play Niyati as she is very similar to me. In moments of crisis, most of the times, I would react similarly," discloses the daughter of a defence personnel. And that is what kicks her most about the character. "I like the fact that Niyati is shown as a normal girl who gets tensed in crisis and not the usual I-know-it-all kind of characters that seem to flood the small screen today."
   Talking about the story, she reveals, "Set against the backdrop of the beautiful sand dunes of Rajasthan, which is rich in customs and traditions, Kulvaddhu is a love story of a girl Niyati who is passionately and unconditionally in love with her childhood friend Shaurya. Both the families would like to formalize their friendship into marriage, but a shocked Niyati realises that Shaurya does not reciprocate her feelings. At this point, destiny compels her to enter into a relationship to protect the family of the man she loved and cared for the most."
   So, will Niyati ever reveal the truth to the family? To know, watch Kulvaddhu, premiering tonight. The serial will air Monday-Thursday at 8.30 pm on Sony Entertainment Television.

IN THE LIMELIGHT: Daljit Kaur