Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

history_geek thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 7 years ago

Came across this interesting piece of art.

It shows a woman with a parrot in her hand.
The parrot is kissing her lips.
The right hand of woman is lost.
2nd century BCE. Ancient India.

Clicked at the Allahabad Museum.

aanvi98 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Thank u so much for these precious informations! i had really not so much interest in mauryan age but u just awoke to research in it! well i had heard about different cloths like dukul,carpash etc types of clothes during mauryan empire. can u plz make a post abt them?😳
history_geek thumbnail

Originally posted by: aanvi98

Thank u so much for these precious informations! i had really not so much interest in mauryan age but u just awoke to research in it! well i had heard about different cloths like dukul,carpash etc types of clothes during mauryan empire. can u plz make a post abt them?😳

Aanvi, i'll try to answer this.

Dukul and Carpash - both are mentioned by Chanakya in Arthashastra. Chanakya says there was a great textile industry in Mauryan India. Words in brackets are the ones used in Arthashastra in Sanskrit.

Carpash is pure cotton fabric. Dukul is pure and fine linen. According to Chanakya it was white (shwet-a) in color and was made in present day Bangladesh (Vangika-desh).
It was used for making the fibrous and woollen garments and blankets. The word used in "patron-a-kambala-dukul-a-namm".

Dukul was prepared after crushing the bark of trees in water. After crushing, the fibrous material came out ; after that they were spun and clothes were prepared. It was much smoother than other varieties. Figures of birds and animals along with motifs were painted on it. It was worn by men in pair and women on hips.

In addition to Chanakya, Dukul is also mentioned in the epic Harshacharita of Bana-Bhatta who lived in ancient India. Marco Polo and other Arab, Chinese and Italian travelers and traders mention this fabric in their travelogues . The account - Periplus of the Eritrean Sea (by an unknown author in 115 AD) mentions that the "area around the river Ganga was rich in muslin and pearls". Muslin developed from Dukul, it is opined. In addition to Bengal, Gujarat, Cambay, Telangana and Malabar were famous textile manufacturing areas.

Plini in his book Indika (Megasthenese wrote a book by the same name in 4th century BCE) written in the Ist century AD mentioned that the value of "carpash" exported annually from India to the West was equivalent to one lakh coins (gold ?).

Throughout history, we can find references to such fine fabrics made in India.

The 9th century work of Suleiman called Silat-ut-Tawarikh ; Ibn Batuta in 14th century ; Fitch in 16th century mentions it. Also, Abu'l Fazl's Ain-i-Akbari of Akbar mentions lot of varieties.

The Indian weavers and handloom craftsmen suffered a decline due to British colonial policies of sending the cotton from India back to Lancashire and Manchester textile mills and flooding Indian markets with their finished goods. Not to forget the discriminate custom duties.

I will try to make a detailed post if i get more material and time. :)

Though you say, you don't have much interest in history, but this little snippet was new for me. Thanks for sharing. After reading your comment, i looked up the Arthashastra of Chanakya and some other sources and made myself aware of these great varieties. :D

You can check this link too.
https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/138042673

I mentioned little information about the clothing of "Indians" as mentioned in the Greek accounts of 4th - 5th century BCE.

aanvi98 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
@Histort_Geek thank you so much for taking my request! I really didn't knew about them!
history_geek thumbnail

Looks like a women party ??

In the centre we can see a palanquin with a woman / women in it.
Women are carrying the palanquin.

In the front, women can be seen with the dhols.
They are beating the drums.

Bottom right we can see women riding the elephant.
Bottom centre, women can be seen riding a horse.

I could not spot any male in this stone sculpture.
Hence i called it a women party. It may be a wedding procession too.

From early BCE era. 2000+ years old. India.

history_geek thumbnail

Few lines about Helena

Helena was childless.
CAS show in Colors TV had shown a son Justin but that was fictional. We don't get such a record anywhere.

There is no question of Helena falling in love with CGM. The alliance of CGM and Seleucus happened in 305 BCE ; just 5-7 years before he left the throne. Almost nothing is known about Helena.

Though, on the web, we can find stories about how they both fell in love, etc. That is nothing, but fan-fiction type writings. I mistook those things to be true when i had read them for the first time, but upon a careful evaluation i found that there was no historical basis for any of those writings.

Infact, even the name "Helena" is not used in the Greek sources. They do not even openly mention that a "marriage" took place.

This is what i inferred from the reading till now.

history_geek thumbnail

This one is from Bengal. Made in ceramic.
This shows women in 3 rows on a very small pot of height just ~16 cms.

The bottom most line could not be clearly seen,

The middle segment shows women standing with various kind of weapons.

You can clearly see the center most woman here is holding a very big axe whose blade is quite large. The axe is longer than the woman's height itself.

From Bengal, India.

2nd to 1st century BCE.
2000+ years old !

Edited by history_geek - 7 years ago
Manzz thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3
😃 Thanks A Lot  ðŸ˜ƒ  ðŸ˜ƒ

😃  ðŸ˜ƒ  ðŸ˜ƒ  ðŸ˜³  ðŸ˜³ ðŸ˜ƒ ðŸ˜ƒ ðŸ˜³ For The Wonderful Analysis And Information  ! !  ðŸ˜³ ðŸ˜ƒ  ðŸ˜ƒ Good ! ! ðŸ˜‰ ðŸ˜†  ðŸ˜³ ðŸ˜†  ðŸ˜ƒ   ðŸ˜‰ ðŸ˜†  ðŸ˜† ! ! ðŸ˜‰ ðŸ˜³  ðŸ˜³ ðŸ˜³  ðŸ˜³ ðŸ˜ƒ ðŸ˜ƒ  ðŸ˜ƒ ðŸ˜‰ ðŸ˜† ðŸ˜† ðŸ˜‰ ðŸ˜† ðŸ˜† ðŸ˜†

ðŸ˜ƒ ðŸ˜³   ðŸ˜ƒ  ðŸ˜ƒ ðŸ˜ƒ
Manzz thumbnail
😃 Few Artifacts / Inscriptions  ðŸ˜ƒ  ðŸ˜ƒ

😃  ðŸ˜ƒ  ðŸ˜ƒ  ðŸ˜³  ðŸ˜³ ðŸ˜ƒ ðŸ˜ƒ ðŸ˜³  Are Lovely  ! !  ðŸ˜³ ðŸ˜ƒ  ðŸ˜ƒ Good ! ! ðŸ˜‰ ðŸ˜†  ðŸ˜³ ðŸ˜†  ðŸ˜ƒ   ðŸ˜‰ ðŸ˜†  ðŸ˜† ! ! ðŸ˜‰ ðŸ˜³  ðŸ˜³ ðŸ˜³  ðŸ˜³ ðŸ˜ƒ ðŸ˜ƒ  ðŸ˜ƒ ðŸ˜‰ ðŸ˜† ðŸ˜† ðŸ˜‰ ðŸ˜† ðŸ˜† ðŸ˜†

Manzz thumbnail
😃 Regarding Helena  ðŸ˜ƒ  ðŸ˜ƒ

😃  ðŸ˜ƒ  ðŸ˜ƒ  ðŸ˜³  ðŸ˜³ ðŸ˜ƒ ðŸ˜ƒ ðŸ˜³ Do Not Remember Or Recollect Ever Reading Anything Negative About Her As Shown In The Serial  ! !  ðŸ˜³ ðŸ˜ƒ  ðŸ˜ƒ Son ... Could Be, Could Be Not  ! ! ðŸ˜‰ ðŸ˜†  ðŸ˜³ ðŸ˜†  ðŸ˜ƒ We Have That Natural, Basic Instinct And Urge  ðŸ˜‰ ðŸ˜†  ðŸ˜† ! ! ðŸ˜‰ ðŸ˜³  ðŸ˜³ ðŸ˜³  ðŸ˜³ ðŸ˜ƒ ðŸ˜ƒ  ðŸ˜ƒ ðŸ˜‰ ðŸ˜† ðŸ˜† ðŸ˜‰ ðŸ˜† ðŸ˜† ðŸ˜†

Edited by Manzz - 7 years ago