Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 7 years ago
One more thing - 'firangi' wouldn't have been a term used at the time.  The correct term would have been turashka or mlechcha.  Today, the latter term is understood as being synonymous w/ Muslim, but at the time, it was used as a term for a heathen or foreign heretic.  That would have been the term used here
Mannmohanaa thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
I believe it's futile to discuss the historical validations. This serial is reduced to petty fiction of Ekta's fantasies. Nothing seems logical, even story wise, let alone the historical semblance.😆
history_geek thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

One more thing - 'firangi' wouldn't have been a term used at the time.  The correct term would have been turashka or mlechcha.  Today, the latter term is understood as being synonymous w/ Muslim, but at the time, it was used as a term for a heathen or foreign heretic.  That would have been the term used here

Yavans is the most appropriate term followed by mlecchas. Turuska was the term mostly used around and after 9th century in the accounts of Rajputs for the Turko-Arab invaders who used to carry out attacks / raids into what is present day Rajasthan / Punjab (India + Pakistan) .

fairylovelyme thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago
Great collection of historical facts found here
Thanks for sharing
silverspoons thumbnail

First of all, thank you for making this thread.

I have a strong interest in history and this thread definitely interested me as the serial is showing so many things out from what we have read in history books. So here is what I read-

1.       There was no written history of the Mourya Dynasty. The first report was found from Tibetan Tankha which was written 100 years after the death of Asoka and the second one was written by the Jainas 1000 years after the death of Asoka. There was no man called Chanakya in the history. However there was one man called Kautilla who was the reason behind the death of queen Dudhara. He used to add low dose of poison in Chandra's diet to make him stronger against all sorts of poison. However Chandra had no idea about this. When Dudhara was pregnant one day Chandra shared his food with Dudhara and she died. Later Bindusar was cut out from his mother's womb. But he had a black spot(bindu) on his head(sar) because of the poison's effect. That is how he got the name.

2.       Chandra had no background except some believe that he was the son in law of King Dhana Nanda. There were many Dhana Nanda in the history. The most famous one was the predecessor of Magadha King Ajatasatru. According to Greek written documents Magadha was the largest and the most strongest part of India when Alexander came. At that time the grandson of Ajatasatru was the ruler of Magadha.  They had huge army and they were so skilled that other parts of the world used to hire these soldiers from India. So Alexander came and conquered some small kingdoms near the border of India and Pakistan but couldn't attack the main India or Magadha. So he left .

3.       Later Celucas was defeated by Magadha's son in law Chandra. According to some Dudhara was the daughter of Dhana Nanda. But according to Jaina and Tibetan scriptures she was a Jaina princess. Dhana Nanda was a Buddhist King. So there is a confusion. According to the Greek scriptures Bindusar was the son of some other Greek queen. Chandra had many Greek queens. Helena was one of them who was childless.

4.       Celucas was a responsible grandfather . According to the Greek written document he used to send gifts,sweets, tutors for his grandsons every year from Greece. In one letter Bindusar told that he wants more fig, Greek sweets and Greek scholars. Celucas wrote that he can buy as many figs and sweets as he wants but not tutors or mentors. As Greece has lack of great tutors/mentors. They had maintained this great relationship even after the death of Asoka. Asoka sent Pandit Nagsena to Greece and that is how Buddism went to Europe and later many Greeks including the King Minander turned Buddhist and they were the first who built the statue of Buddha and Mahabali/Bahubali.

So far what I have read it seems to me that Greeks and Indians were friends at that time. But don't know why channelwalos are making one after another racist serials about history? Greeks were nothing new in India. In fact we are originated from adha Greek, adha Egyptian, Australia, Mongolian, Arabian and many other different tribes. Apno se keya ladna?😕

It says when Alexander saw the Great King Puru of India( Sony TV is making a serial) he was mesmerized by his beauty. Puru was more than 6feet tall, handsome and with white skin.Later Alexander gifted everything he conquered in India to king Puru as a token of friendship.So why hate?😕

Anyway thanks for making this thread.

Edited by silverspoons - 6 years ago

Originally posted by: silverspoons

First of all, thank you for making this thread.

I have a strong interest in history and this thread definitely interested me as the serial is showing so many things out from what we have read in history books. So here is what I read-

1.       There was no written history of the Mourya Dynasty. The first report was found from Tibetan Tankha which was written 100 years after the death of Asoka and the second one was written by the Jainas 1000 years after the death of Asoka. There was no man called Chanakya in the history. However there was one man called Kautilla who was the reason behind the death of queen Dudhara. He used to add low dose of poison in Chandra's diet to make him stronger against all sorts of poison. However Chandra had no idea about this. When Dudhara was pregnant one day Chandra shared his food with Dudhara and she died. Later Bindusar was cut out from his mother's womb. But he had a black spot(bindu) on his head(sar) because of the poison's effect. That is how he got the name

Chanakya is mentioned in many sources.

2.       Chandra had no background except some believe that he was the son in law of King Dhana Nanda. There were many Dhana Nanda in the history. The most famous one was the predecessor of Magadha King Ajatasatru. According to Greek written documents Magadha was the largest and the most strongest part of India when Alexander came. At that time the grandson of Ajatasatru was the ruler of Magadha.  They had huge army and they were so skilled that other parts of the world used to hire these soldiers from India. So Alexander came and conquered some small kingdoms near the border of India and Pakistan but couldn't attack the main India or Magadha. So he left .

When Alexander came to India it was dhana Nanda who was ruling magadha and not ajatshatru. Ajatshatru was way before during Buddha's period.

3.       Later Celucas was defeated by Magadha's son in law Chandra. According to some Dudhara was the daughter of Dhana Nanda. But according to Jaina and Tibetan scriptures she was a Jaina princess. Dhana Nanda was a Buddhist King. So there is a confusion. According to the Greek scriptures Bindusar was the son of some other Greek queen. Chandra had many Greek queens. Helena was one of them who was childless.

No source mention durdhara's name except parsistha Parvati and it doesn't say she was a Jain princess or daughter of dhana Nanda. Helena is not the name of Syrian queen of Chandragupta. Her name is not recorded in history. We can't say selucus's daughter was childless or anything but can't prove her having babies either.

4.       Celucas was a responsible grandfather . According to the Greek written document he used to send gifts,sweets, tutors for his grandsons every year from Greece. In one letter Bindusar told that he wants more fig, Greek sweets and Greek scholars. Celucas wrote that he can buy as many figs and sweets as he wants but not tutors or mentors. As Greece has lack of great tutors/mentors. They had maintained this great relationship even after the death of Asoka. Asoka sent Pandit Nagsena to Greece and that is how Buddism went to Europe and later many Greeks including the King Minander turned Buddhist and they were the first who built the statue of Buddha and Mahabali/Bahubali.

It was not selucus but antiochus who sent dried figs to bindusara. He loved his step nephew and friend as both didn't have much age difference. Selucus's loved his sons the most and cared for daughters. He was grief-stricken when he had to forcefully surrender Helen to Chandragupta.

So far what I have read it seems to me that Greeks and Indians were friends at that time. But don't know why channelwalos are making one after another racist serials about history? Greeks were nothing new in India. In fact we are originated from adha Greek, adha Egyptian, Australia, Mongolian, Arabian and many other different tribes. Apno se keya ladna?😕

It says when Alexander saw the Great King Puru of India( Sony TV is making a serial) he was mesmerized by his beauty. Puru was more than 6feet tall, handsome and with white skin.Later Alexander gifted everything he conquered in India to king Puru as a token of friendship.So why hate?😕

Anyway thanks for making this thread.

I like people who are passionate for history and your post is good but have  flaws which I like to point out.
Edited by Roxelana - 6 years ago
silverspoons thumbnail

Originally posted by: Roxelana

I like people who are passionate for history and your post is good but have  flaws which I like to point out.
[/QUOTE Edited by silverspoons - 6 years ago

Originally posted by: silverspoons

Edited by Roxelana - 6 years ago

jhalak7 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Dhamma and Bindusar had a love hate relationship. She was never married to Bindusar. Bindusar never had a very respectable history like his father or son. Most probably he was not at all a lovable man. He married many women and had many sons. According to the Magadha law and Buddhist law( Magadhas were Buddhist)  no matter who the mother is queen or slave, married or not sons and daughters were treated as prince/princess.So Asoka was a prince where his mother was still a dasi. So there was always a conflict between the brothers and Asoka VS Bindusar. When Asoka's eldest brother the crown prince was assassinated by a minister of Bindusar's court, all the brothers started to fight. Asoka was supported by most of the ministers of the court as he was the best warrior. Asoka killed 5of his brothers. When Dhamma heard this she left the palace and turned in to Buddhist monk. However according to Amarchitrakatha it was the first wife of Asoka( mother of Sanghamitra ) who left and turned in to monk. But history tells that she never left. That is why may be it was Dhamma who left and stopped the fight between brothers. Rest of the sons of Bindusar either killed by other brothers or turned in to Buddhist/Jaina monks. There are some names of these brothers mentioned in  Thera gatha. At last the youngest brother Dasaratha was left. Asoka had no sons left. His sons were either died at childhood or turned in to Buddhist monk. He had a son called Kunal who was blind. At that time blind men were not allowed to be a King. Kunal had a son called Sampreeti. 10 years later when Dasaratha found him he gave the power to sampreeti and turned in to Buddhist monk.

jhalak7 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail