..::Doubts & Discussions about Historical facts::..

Posted: 7 years ago

Namaskar!

Getting to know about the kings and queens we only heard about or read it in books. Stories about how how brave our rulers were.Be it turning points in wars or the larger than life love stories of kings and queens. History always has something interesting to offer.

Since our show is a historical and more importantly a historical about one of the most powerful emperors we have ever had-Chandragupta Maurya,this gives us a lot to explore.

This thread shall be used to discuss all known and unknown historical facts about Chandra,his wives,wars, or any related content.

Just post a question and any member who knows the answer can reply.

How far is the show accurate as per history?Where have they gone wrong as per history?How can they make it better? Anything and everything.

Over the years,we have had several threads in periodical/mythological/historical shows' forums,where such threads have been opened and have been highly appreciated and highly active.

Feel free to ask questions and make discussions. Providing source(in the form of links) for the information you are sharing will be appreciated. Since that supports your answer.Also, it gives other readers scope to read more about the topic. 

Also,if you object to another member's information (i.e you have contradictory information),please do it respectfully and defend your answer by giving a valid source with some author's work etc.

Reference for similar threads in other forums(to get an idea of  how such threads work)

Devon ke Dev Mahadev Forum (Doubts and Discussions about Lord Shiva)

Jodha Akbar forum(

Edited by .FemmeFatale. - 7 years ago
Hello..
I'm new to this forum.. I'm following this show as I'm a historical, periodics lover..

Well.. The thing that bugged me and brought me here is that.. They are showing Chandra-Helena marriage..
But.. She was not his first wife. His first wife was Durdhara, mother of Bindusara..

Then what kind of blunder is this?! If anyone can help me with this...

Disha,
Thanks for this thread and informing about the same. :)

I have made 3 historical threads till now in this forum.
Here are the links :

Thread 1

This is about the history of Chandragupta Maurya.
Brief introduction about him.

Forum Thread Link :

Chandragupta Maurya | The Builder of an Empire & Protector of Bharata | Updated on Pg-7 about the Clothing in Mauryan Era

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4730845

Direct Post Link :

An Introduction to Chandragupta Maurya | The Builder of an Empire & Protector of Bharat

Thread 2

This post includes the history of Nanda rulers and their origin, including the conspiracy of the Queen of Shishunaga along with the Nanda barber to murder her husband, and more...

I have included the pictures of sculptures which were obtained from visits to various museums, which give us an idea about the prevailing culture of that period.

Forum Thread Link :

History of Nanda dynasty - Mahapadmananda and Dhanananda | From Alexander to arrival of Chandragupta Maurya | Updated on Pg-3 about the Wars in Ancient / Mauryan Era

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4735921

Direct Post Link :

History of Nanda Rulers | Mahapadma Nanda and Dhana Nanda | Pre - Mauryan Magadha Empire before arrival of Alexander and rise of Chandragupta Maurya I With ancient sculptures

Thread 3

I was reading about the Mauryan Empire & came across few snippets which made me make a post on the position of women in that period. Overall, i got an impression that they held high status in the society and their condition had not deteriorated as it happened in the later ancient period and medieval ages.

I have quoted, mostly Greeks, and some Indian accounts of this period. The topics i have discussed are :

- Marriage System & Dowry : which was quite simple.

- Conditions when a wife could divorce a husband : women treated at par with men.

- Education of Women : they remained unmarried in some cases to continue studies.

- Women Warriors in Military : an eye opener. Must read.

- Practice of Widow Burning : More like the modern day Sati but voluntary in Mauryan times.

- Courtesans : Held in great respect. I have also mentioned the story of Amrapali and Gautam Buddha.

- Prostitutes : They were employed in the royal household on a big salary. They held the royal umbrella & attended upon the king while he was on his throne. Chanakya holds them in high importance.

Forum Thread Link :

Status of Women in Magadhan Mauryan Society | Updt CGM - Helena Pg-1
https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4747538

Direct Post Link :

Status of Women in Magadhan Mauryan Society | With Sculptures and Jewels

A good discussion happened on the above mentioned forum threads, till now.

I will keep updating this comment, as and when i make new posts / threads.

Edited by history_geek - 7 years ago
Originally posted by Krupali

Hello..
I'm new to this forum.. I'm following this show as I'm a historical, periodics lover..

Well.. The thing that bugged me and brought me here is that.. They are showing Chandra-Helena marriage..
But.. She was not his first wife. His first wife was Durdhara, mother of Bindusara..

Then what kind of blunder is this?! If anyone can help me with this...

The war with Seleucus happened in / around 305 BCE. There is no question of Seleucus's daughter getting married to Chandragupta Maurya at this moment.

Considering the fact that the Nanda ruler is still alive - the period should be somewhere in 320s BCE.

A time gap of complete 15 years is evident in the 2 events.

Originally posted by history_geek

The war with Seleucus happened in / around 305 BCE. There is no question of Seleucus's daughter getting married to Chandragupta Maurya at this moment.

Considering the fact that the Nanda ruler is still alive - the period should be somewhere in 320s BCE.

A time gap of complete 15 years is evident in the 2 events.

Ya.. Right👍🏼

BTW.. Do u know the time when Chandragupta married to Durdhara..? I hv read that she helped him in his fight against Nand, by getting small regions in his favour.. 
Is there any truth to CGM seeking help from the Macedonian army to defeat Nand and conquer Magadh?😕 It sounds ideologically wrong to me. The whole point of kicking out Nand is to form a strong resistance against the foreigners,then why would one seek the help of the foreigners? Specially someone like Chanakya or CGM😲 Wouldn't it have gone against their morality or something? 
Originally posted by .FemmeFatale.

Is there any truth to CGM seeking help from the Macedonian army to defeat Nand and conquer Magadh?😕 It sounds ideologically wrong to me. The whole point of kicking out Nand is to form a strong resistance against the foreigners,then why would one seek the help of the foreigners? Specially someone like Chanakya or CGM😲 Wouldn't it have gone against their morality or something? 

Yes.. It's not convincing for me as well.
Chanakya went to Nand to gather force to fight against invaders as Pourus was defeated and after him, magadh was the chief and powerful among all..

But Nand refused and that's why all revenge thing started r8! So, it's really unconvincing that he seeks help from those for whom he z making so much efforts, I mean appealing the kingdoms to come together and fight.. despite of him being 'the Chanakya'
Exactly! It seems as if patriotism got forgotten somewhere down the lane and revenge is the only thing that matters!
At first I want to say there was no one named Nandini. There was Durdhara,daughter of Dhananand not Parmanand.He was not barbar previously. He was a prince. And there ruled a dynasty named Nanda dynasty.Mura & chandragupta's father were probably ruler of a small province or were some peacock sellers. There is some about it in history.And I don't understand why writers chose the character of Nandini. Because Durdhara was there to quench there thirst. And I agree Helena to be the second queen. Dhanananda might be alive till 320 bc cause chardra spared his life and threw all his family members out. He then married Durdhara. The reason is still unknown but it is presumed that there was some previous likeness between them. After hearing about chandraguptas victory Selucas got afraid and made truce with him. And as a truce he married Helena (I have doubt about her name being actually Helena cause in history there is no proof about her name)At last Chandragupta had two wives not three]Well from history I can assume Chandragupta loved Dhurdhara. Well that's a tragedy...So Chandragupta shaking hands with Greeks is totally false.And the story of 'rotinity ' is true. I heard it in folktales...but the tales state that chandragupta was able to win over the outsides.Oh yah in history there was no Malayketu. Neither Chanakya had asram. He had only 2 students Chandragupta and a son of some king ( I forgot his name). And he was killed by Chandragupta during their training. If you want to want to know why then plz state it...Edited by MarnaikaMarina - 7 years ago
Yes,most of us agree that Nandini is completely fictional. And she was introduced  presumably because Durdhara dies and then they wouldn't have a heroine to continue the story with 😆
Yes the Dhananand factor too. If you're interested,history_geek(Abhay) has made some detailed posts about the Nandas. You can find the link in the first page.