Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 7 years ago
^^^ACK is Amar Chitra Katha - the comic book illustration of a lot of historical and mythological stories.

Yeah, I know that Alexander was already dead when Selucus arrived in India, and that Chandragupta was done w/ Nanda before he confronted Selucus.  I also know about his marriage to Helena, but the stories about Durdhara and Nanda's daughter are new to me.  Nonetheless, given how TV treats not just history but Hindu mythology as well, I don't expect anything authentic from these shows
Vr15h thumbnail
One question: is it known whether Chandragupta had any children from Helena?  Also, who was Durdhara, and how did she become Chandragupta's wife?
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

One question: is it known whether Chandragupta had any children from Helena?  Also, who was Durdhara, and how did she become Chandragupta's wife?

Durdhara was Chandragupta's first wife (unlike shown in this show) and it is widely believed she died before Chandragupta even married Helena. Some texts say Durdhara was the daughter of the first Nanda, while others say she was the daughter of Mura's brother, making her a cousin of Chandragupta from his maternal side. In the first scenario, their marriage was a political alliance. In the second scenario, they fell in love. Either way, they weren't friends who married each other to help each other out, like they showed in this show.

Some Greek sources say Helena's other name was Deodora, and that after marriage to Chandragupta, it changed to Durdhara, so they were the same person. In this source, Bindusara was the son of Deodora/Durdhara/Helena.

But in most other sources, Bindusara was the son of Durdhara, and when she died after giving birth to him, Chandragupta remained a widower for many years before falling in love with and marrying Helena. It is widely believe that she was childless, though some Greek sources say she had a son called Justin.

Bindusara is generally considered Chandragupta's only son, or at least his only legitimate son. Being an emperor, it's quite possible he had many concubines and illegitimate children.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: .FemmeFatale.

Yes,most of us agree that Nandini is completely fictional. And she was introduced  presumably because Durdhara dies and then they wouldn't have a heroine to continue the story with ðŸ˜†

Yes the Dhananand factor too. If you're interested,history_geek(Abhay) has made some detailed posts about the Nandas. You can find the link in the first page. 

Nandini is totally fictional.

Yes, they could have shown Durdhara-Chandragupta love story with the same scenario they gave Nandini.

If they were apprehensive about her dying, why didn't they show a love story on Helena? She and Chandragupta did fall in love even in the epic, so it would fit. ðŸ˜†
Vr15h thumbnail
Did Helena fall in love w/ Chandragupta?  I thought that after Chandragupta defeated Selucus in war, the latter wanted to befriend him, so he offered Helena to him in marriage.  I doubt that Helena had any choice in the matter
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Did Helena fall in love w/ Chandragupta?  I thought that after Chandragupta defeated Selucus in war, the latter wanted to befriend him, so he offered Helena to him in marriage.  I doubt that Helena had any choice in the matter

I think it was a semi-arranged/love marriage. This is what I read on the matter.

Devi Helena and Chandragupta Maurya's marriage was love cum arranged

The marriage between Helena and Chandragupta Maurya, the founder of the Mauryan Empire was not forced. It was a love cum arranged marriage and both of them loved each other alike. It all started when Chandragupta secretly saw Lady Helena near the river Jhelum playing with her maidens when Chandragupta was passing by, on his horse. He was so mesmerized by the rare Greek beauty that he fell in love with her almost instantly.

Chandragupta Maurya then started sending messages to this Greek princess, and she too started reciprocating her feelings. This is how the two acquired mutual feelings for each other.

Chandragupta Maurya Waged a War against SelecusNicator to Marry Devi Helena

When Chandragupta Maurya expressed his desire to marry Helena to Chanakya, he said it would only be possible if he wars Selecus Nicator - Helena's father and put pressure on him. At the start, Chandragupta acquired northern parts which were under the Nanda rule, and then he declared war against Nicator in 305. As expected Selecus Nicator was defeated by Chandragupta Maurya.

Post the war, Chandragupt called Selecus Nicator in a meeting on Chanakya's advice, and here's where he asked his daughter's hand. Chandragupt knew the Greek Emperor was hurt by his loss, and so he conceded various parts which were captured by him in the war including Afghanistan.

Selecus Nicator Was Not Ready For the Marriage, But Helena Convinced Her Father

Selecus Nicator, Helena's father was not ready for this marriage. Not because he was defeated by Chandragupt in the war, but because Chandragupta was a Heathen. A heathen is a person who neither follows the Greek religion nor acknowledges the same. Though Helena too was shocked that the person whom she has feeling is a heathen, she convinced her father to let her marry the brave and courageous Indian Emperor. This is how Helena and Chandragupta Maurya married each other.

Helena Was Blindly in Love with Chandragupt without Even Seeing Him

From the time Chandragupta saw Devi Helena, he regularly sent her messages through pigeon carriers. Though she had not seen him, she had formed his image in her mind through his letters. It was his thoughts, views and outlook that won her heart, and she started acquiring feelings for him even though she had not seen the mighty Emperor. She saw Chandragupt much later when Selecus Nicator was defeated in a war against Chndragupt and he entered the Greek Palace to ask Helena's hand.

Helena Learnt Sanskrit and Indian Music

Unlike the Colors TV Helena, the historical Helena Maurya loved India. What's more, this marriage made her happy. After her marriage, she even learnt classical Indian music and started taking classes to learn the Sanskrit language. However, their story was not those forever kinds because Chandragupta Maurya converted into Jainism, took sanyas from active politics and died four to five years later after his marriage to Devi Helena.

history_geek thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5

^^^ACK is Amar Chitra Katha - the comic book illustration of a lot of historical and mythological stories.

Yeah, I know that Alexander was already dead when Selucus arrived in India, and that Chandragupta was done w/ Nanda before he confronted Selucus.  I also know about his marriage to Helena, but the stories about Durdhara and Nanda's daughter are new to me.  Nonetheless, given how TV treats not just history but Hindu mythology as well, I don't expect anything authentic from these shows

I have little knowledge of the Amar Chitra Kathas. So, i am not aware of what was written in them. Rest of the things i agree. I would add a few more words about the others points you raised in subsequent posts.

Helena was childless. CAS had shown a son Justin but that was fictional. We don't get any such record anywhere.

There is no question of Helena falling in love with CGM. The alliance of CGM and Seleucus happened in 305 BCE ; just 5-7 years before he left the throne. Almost nothing is known about Helena.

Though, on the web, we can find stories about how they both fell in love, etc. That is nothing, but fan-fiction type writings. I mistook those things to be true when i had read them for the first time, but upon a careful evaluation i found that there was no historical basis for any of those writings.

Infact, even the name "Helena" is not used in the Greek sources. They do not even openly mention that a "marriage" took place.

Vr15h thumbnail
Did CGM marry 'Helena' that late in his life - just 5-7 years b4 abdicating and converting to Jainism?  I thought that he ruled for a larger number of years after he defeated Selucus.

As I pointed out in this thread it just ain't credible that Helena could have done all that.  You point out above that she learnt Indian music and Sanskrit, and she would presumably have had to learn all the Vedic customs that queens of that era would have had to follow.  That alone would have kept her too busy to plot against any co-wife.

Also, if she did have any sons, why would he get a Greek name like Justin?  He would belong to his father - it's not like Greek culture was matriarchal.  His mother would have been a Hindu, and so would he.  And that name itself is anachronistic: Selucus ran one of the pre-Christian empires of the era running from Anatolia to the west banks of the Indus, whereas Justin would have been a name from the Byzantine era.

If Chandragupta abdicated just 5-7 years after the marriage, it's perfectly possible that he'd have been childless, since he already had Bindusara groomed to succeed him
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
I've never read anywhere that Helena was a vampish woman who plotted against Chandragupta and the kingdom. As mentioned above, she was a very busy woman who was eager to learn all that was required of her position, perhaps more so than other queens since she was of Greek origins and thus must have felt the need to "prove herself". Moreover, Durdhara died long before Helena married Chandragupta, and as they were the only prominent queens of his, there was no occasion for petty rivalries and jealousies. 
.FemmeFatale. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: ..RamKiJanaki..

Nandini is totally fictional.

Yes, they could have shown Durdhara-Chandragupta love story with the same scenario they gave Nandini.

If they were apprehensive about her dying, why didn't they show a love story on Helena? She and Chandragupta did fall in love even in the epic, so it would fit. ðŸ˜†

Janu di Disha here! ðŸ˜†

I agree to what you said. And I did find Helena's character interesting initially. I haven't seen CN off late but I hear they have turned her into a vamp ðŸ¥± *facepalm* These people just cannot manage well written characters. Even when at times they surprise themselves with good writing,they soon get to their typical nonsense ways.

So I guess that answers ur question. Vamp ko heroine kaise banaa the 

Also,this pseudo nationalistic approach wouldn't work with a Firangi 
(This approach fell flat in between btw when chandra and chanakya somewhere along the way gave vibes that felt as though defeating Nand was the only aim and this firangi issue didnt matter)