Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

.FemmeFatale. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 7 years ago

Originally posted by: MarnaikaMarina

So Chandragupta shaking hands with Greeks is totally false.

I was more or less sure about this! Seems ridiculous anyway

And the story of 'rotinity ' is true. I heard it in folktales...but the tales state that chandragupta was able to win over the outsides.Oh yah in history there was no Malayketu. Neither Chanakya had asram. He had only 2 students Chandragupta and a son of some king ( I forgot his name). And he was killed by Chandragupta during their training. If you want to want to know why then plz state it...

What about Takshshila ashram? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ But as far as I know there were other teachers there as well. Chanakya didn't teach everything. He only taught few subjects.
Edited by .FemmeFatale. - 7 years ago
pakhiv. thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: .FemmeFatale.

Yes,most of us agree that Nandini is completely fictional. And she was introduced presumably because Durdhara dies and then they wouldn't have a heroine to continue the story with๐Ÿ˜†

Yes the Dhananand factor too. If you're interested,history_geek(Abhay) has made some detailed posts about the Nandas. You can find the link in the first page.

see durdhara dies... Then they show Helena after ten years.. What's the purpose of love story because they dont have two heroines.. Lol the love story if shown between chandra and Helena was not enough to keep trpz coming. So naturally naturally nandini added
history_geek thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Krupali

Ya.. Right๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

BTW.. Do u know the time when Chandragupta married to Durdhara..? I hv read that she helped him in his fight against Nand, by getting small regions in his favour.. 

I am not aware of these details like her help to Chandragupta Maurya, etc. I have read something about her but yet to ascertain how much is fact (based on evidence) and how much is authors' spice. Rest of the details i will write after i am able to verify it. There is some confusion. :)

Originally posted by: .FemmeFatale.

Is there any truth to CGM seeking help from the Macedonian army to defeat Nand and conquer Magadh?๐Ÿ˜• It sounds ideologically wrong to me. The whole point of kicking out Nand is to form a strong resistance against the foreigners,then why would one seek the help of the foreigners? Specially someone like Chanakya or CGM๐Ÿ˜ฒ Wouldn't it have gone against their morality or something? 

Chandragupta's army at the time of fighting against Nandas had many native Indian rulers. Surely he did not take full fledged help from the Greek army of Alexander. But...

A Sanskrit text mentions Yavans forming a small part of the army of CGM against Nandas, but that may not mean Macedonians. Alexander after his death had left the Indian territories under his general named Eudeymus. He was placed along with Porus. The Yavans may mean those foreign forces who were under Porus. Later, Eudeymus is said to have murdered Porus.

Parvataka also aligned with Chanakya and Chandragupta Maurya to fight Nandas.

The Kamboja rulers aligned with CGM against Nandas. Kambojas are mentioned in Mahabharata too. They fought on side of Kauravas. Earlier  their
territories were located beyond Gandhara, beyond Pakistan and Afghanistan, in Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Kyrgystan. According to Ptolemy, they lived as far as river Oxus in Bactria.

During the times of Alexander, they had settled around present day Rajauri in Jammu and Kashmir. Manu calls them Kshatriyas.

According to Chanakaya, 5 types of people should always be included in the army. And, the robbers / dacoits / bandits, were mentioned among those 5 types. ;)

The people of present day Nepal also helped Chandragupta to fight against the Nandas. They were called terrible fighters.

I hope this clears all.

You can read about them and more details here :
https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/138411874

.FemmeFatale. thumbnail
So CGM had a diverse army,some foreign entities also included,but their loyalties lied with Porus as far I understand. That sound alright. 

Hahaha Chanakya understood that dacoits etc had their fair share of talents which could come in handy during war then. Or may even hint at the fact that what sometimes could not be done when morality comes into picture,these dacoits would have done the deed,without having to worry about the wrong doing themself. 

Thanks Abhay!
MarnaikaMarina thumbnail
Well thank u everybody for stating details. But the day first I watched the serial I thought I can watch many historical details and specially I was keen to see Chanakya's Koutilya niti. But in this matter I am rather disappointed. Anyway still will watch this... ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
.FemmeFatale. thumbnail
Then I suggest you watch the old show called Chanakya,if you haven't already. Even NDTV Imagine's Chandragupta Maurya was good in that aspect.
Krupali thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Thanks for sharing the details.. :)

And @ Marnaikamarina.. Ya! Do watch old CGM and Chanakya.. U will surely like it for that matter..
shubhika124 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
I have a doubt , may i share?
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Hey, guys

I had heard of CGM marrying Helena after  he defeated Selucus, as well as Bindusara being the son of him and Durdhara.  But where is it written that he married any daughter of Nanda?

In the Imagine TV serial Chandragupta Maurya, they showed Durdhara as the daughter of Nanda, and there were other serials that showed him allying w/ Alexander/Selucus against Nanda, but is there any historical basis for that?  The ACK has it that he defeated Nanda in battle, and that Nanda was later poisoned by a vishakanya set up by Chanakya.  If that was what they did, why would Nanda's daughter marry Chandragupta?  Or did Chanakya arrange to get her forced into it?
history_geek thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

Hey, guys

I had heard of CGM marrying Helena after  he defeated Selucus, as well as Bindusara being the son of him and Durdhara.  But where is it written that he married any daughter of Nanda?

In the Imagine TV serial Chandragupta Maurya, they showed Durdhara as the daughter of Nanda, and there were other serials that showed him allying w/ Alexander/Selucus against Nanda, but is there any historical basis for that?  The ACK has it that he defeated Nanda in battle, and that Nanda was later poisoned by a vishakanya set up by Chanakya.  If that was what they did, why would Nanda's daughter marry Chandragupta?  Or did Chanakya arrange to get her forced into it?

Hey Vrish (?)

The Jain text Parishishtaparvana says CGM married the daughter of the last Nanda. I don't know the story line of Imagine TV CGM. But, it is not true that CGM aligned with Alexander or Seleucus against Nandas. Alexander was already dead before CGM attacked Nanda. Seleucus comes to the scene quite late at the end of 4th century BCE. Various people helped CGM against the Nanda ruler, some of whom were mentioned on page-2 comment.

As i said in the comment on page -1, Seleucus came to the scene around 305 BCE after he recovered the lost possessions of Alexander. Eudeymus was the governor of Alexander in Punjab who was left back along with Porus around 320 BCE.

The Vishkanya poisoned the son of the ruler from Parvataka kingdom, not the Nanda ruler. There is actually, no basis for this show's storyline / plot . The Jain text gives us a story that after the defeat of Nanda when he was leaving the kingdom, his daughter fell in love with CGM and only on advice of Chanakya , CGM married the daughter of Nanda. This is the story in brief.

PS : What is ACK ?