Users

Frequent Posters

Aanandaa thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Cops cut Angelina's guards to size

Abhishek Sharan

Mumbai, November 17, 2006

Angelina Jolie's British bodyguards, accused of assaulting and racially abusing ("you bloody Indians") students and parents at Anjum-e-Islam School, found themselves in deep trouble on Friday. The bodyguards — Thomas McAdams (47), Robert Dunn (35) and Michael Brett (50) — were arrested by the Azad Maidan police even as parents claimed that they did not stop at the racial slur.

Police Inspector Avinash Sonawane said the bodyguards even hurled religious abuse and threatened, "I will kill you… f*#$@ you."

The bodyguards didn't show much restraint when summoned to the police station either. Sonawane said that Brett, the seniormost, erupted, asking: "Why are you hotting up?" A stunned Sonawane replied: "I am a police officer. Don't you dare teach me how to enforce our law." A seething Sonawane ordered Brett to stand up, saying, "I will now treat you as accused persons are treated here. Stand up and stay that way till proceedings are completed." It was a good 90 minutes before Brett was allowed to sit.

But the trouble didn't end there. An officer caught a female member of Jolie's film crew video-taping the proceedings at the police station. The tape was deleted on Sonawane's orders.

Later, McAdams, Dunn and Brett were produced before a local court. They were granted bail on a surety of Rs 25,000 each but were asked to present themselves every day before the investigating officer till November 23. They were also ordered to surrender their passports to him.

The police have charged the bodyguards under Sections 506 (Part 2) (threat to kill), 298 (uttering words with intent to hurt religious feelings) and 323 (assault) of the Indian Penal Code.

Meanwhile, Jolie's partner Brad Pitt, whose company is co-producing the film, and co-star Irrfan Khan met Police Commissioner AN Roy.

"They clarified that they had no intention of hurting anyone's religious feelings or harming the children or their parents. They expressed regret about Thursday's incident," Roy said.

Senior Police Inspector Khanvilkar, meanwhile, said he has written to the UK Consulate, asking it to "explain who allowed the bodyguards to carry sophisticated walky-talkies, batons and arms". The heat is also on the school management for not having "intimated the police about Thursday's shoot".

Reacting to the charges against her bodyguards, Jolie said in a faxed statement to HT: "It is not surprising that the press involved failed to mention their share of the responsibility in the chaos… As for this horrible rumour that someone referred to a local man as 'bloody Indian', let me say this: I would never work with anyone who was derogatory towards another man's race. My family is of mixed race."Cops cut Angelina's guards to size

Courtesy:Hindustan Times...

I am surprise that Ms.Jolie is still choosing to be insensitive towards the parents and more importantly the kids... 😡
mermaid_QT thumbnail
Hmm... the bodyguards being British, their usage of term "bloody" is now more believable to me. Racial slur and rage is rude and disgusting behaviour for anyone. Their apologies won;t suffice if the police prove them guilty. Hopefully, the hollywood glitter, all that jazz won;t let them get away.
Sadly enough, they were / are part of a project based on the life of Daniel pearl, whose death happened to be sacrificial and heroic.

If the article is verbatim true, I am pleased with this Police officer Sonavane 👏 😃

thanks for sharing Raksha!
mQTEdited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
insouciance thumbnail

Read the article Raksha posted...UUUGGGGHHHHHH,That budyguard is so noisome and vile🤢.....

Its even worse than Angie's trying to sweep all this  under her carpet,does she really think her lies would hold water😕....I'm sure not everyone unanimously will lie...Why would a police inspector lie,why would decent parents lie....Why would Irfan Khan lie...I chose to believe what majority of the indian dailies say,and not what one gloss magazine has to say....

QT,I somewhat cant buy the excuse that people are hitting below her belt because they want to sabotage the prospects of her movie😕..Very honestly speaking,Most indians dont care two hoots about Angelina,leave her movie....Why would the parents of students want to antagonize Angelina Jolie,who just doesnt figure anywhere in their scheme of things..what would they want to vitiate her movie or throw a spanner in her works,she doesnt mean anything to Indians....

She needs to apologize,firstly for trying to save the skin of her bodyguards,secondly for all those rotten racist and retrogressive comments.... Addressing one person as "a bloody indian",just reflects the attitude towards all Indians per se....Indians may not be as white as the goras,but we're no less a human being in any way...It reflects their attitude towards India in general,if they abhor this place so much,why come here for shooting,Set up a studio in Hollywood and shoot there,I'm sure there's no dearth of money at Pitt's disposal that he cant build a set in Hollywood...When they are shooting in India,they ought to respect the country,the citizens ,the law of the country and the officials....

Jolie might be the most popular philanthropist reknown for the eleemosynary contributions but wonder whether all the humanity flies out of the window when it comes to empathising with helpless parents who are worried about their kids' condition

Originally posted by: abhijit shukla

Buffie,
I hope you got your heated, multipage debate.

😃

Cordelia thumbnail

Originally posted by: mythili_Kiran

(Remembering Nigar Khan!!! Where is she now ????)

playing Ram Kapoor's stepmother Barnali in Kasamh Se! 😆
insouciance thumbnail

and now....Brangelina fly back to the US😛😕

Brangelina Flying Back to US Today
('Faridoon Shahryar, ') Faridoon Shahryar, IndiaGlitz [Saturday, November 18, 2006]

Brangelina may be the hottest celebrity couple of the world but somehow their tryst with India generated heat of vicious kinds. Their bodyguards created a ruckus in Pune when they manhandled a British photojournalist by grabbing his neck. After publicity-gimmick-enthusing autorickshaw ride, their tryst with Mumbai started off with the Rs 500 tip for Rs 5 roadside ice cream.

The whole country was disgusted beyond limits when Brangelina bodyguards roughed up school kids during the shooting of the film 'A Mighty Heart' at a South Mumbai school a couple of days ago and called their parents, "Bloody Indians". The bodyguards were arrested the following day and released on a surety of Rs 25, 000. And the latest news which is available from Taj Hotel sources in Mumbai is that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are leaving for USA by a flight today evening.

When Brad Pitt had gone to meet the police commissioner of Mumbai Mr A N Roy yesterday he was accompanied by Bollywood actor Irrfan Khan who is also starring in 'A Mighty Heart' and has already been shooting for the film. It seems the whole schedule of 'A Mighty Heart' has gone haywire with this sudden development. But what international celebrities like Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt must understand is that talking about world peace, equality and adopting children from various countries doesn't make them humanitarians if they don't practice compassion and respect for other cultures. In real life that is.  

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/hindi/article/26999.html

Nobody in our unit is racist: Brad Pitt😆(and pigs might fly)

Indo-Asian News Service

Mumbai, November 18, 2006

Hollywood actor Brad Pitt denied allegations that three bodyguards of his partner Angelina Jolie had hurled racial abuses at parents and children at an Islamic school in south Mumbai during shooting of a film starring Jolie.

The bodyguards were arrested on Friday morning and later released on bail by a Mumbai court following the incident at the Anjuman-E-Islam school on Thursday where the crew for the film A Mighty Heart was shooting.

"As a film unit and as individuals we respect all religions and human beings," Pitt, also the producer of the film, told a news channel.

Jolie's bodyguards had reportedly tried to prevent students of the school from leaving, according to parents waiting outside the school. The parents alleged that the bodyguards humiliated and abused children and women, and some even passed comments like "you bloody Indian".

The parents demanded an apology from Jolie and lodged a police complaint late on Thursday against the guards for alleged manhandling and abuse.

Pitt said that the entire incident was a "terribly big misunderstanding" and not what he and Angelina wanted.

"This is not what Angelina and I wanted. This contradicts the message of the film we are trying to make. Angelina and I have a multi-racial family, we want them to respect and understand different religions," he said.

Media reports quoting the actor said that he and Angelina were "absolutely certain that nobody who works with him was capable of religious bias".

"We have an inter-racial family. It is very important to us that our kids grow up understanding their own respective cultures, their own religions, of the country they are from. This is our intention that they get this teaching."

Pitt said that they should have explained their intentions when "we first got here". And they would never ever hire anyone who is racist. "Also, these men are fathers, they all have kids themselves. But they will never hurt a child, they will never harm a child, they will never yell at the child... they will never push the child," he added.

Meanwhile, Jolie too denied that her bodyguards had made any racial comments, and blamed the media of misinterpreting the incident.

"It is not surprising that the press involved failed to mention their share of the responsibility in the chaos. As for the horrible rumour that someone referred to a local as a 'bloody Indian', let me say that I would never like to work with anyone who was derogatory towards another human being. My family is of mixed race," she said in a statement.

The three bodyguards - Thomas Edward MacAdam, Robert Patrick Dunn and Micheal John Bret - are all British nationals. They were produced before a local court and later released on a bail of Rs 25,000 each.

The trio has been asked by the court not to leave India and report daily to the Azad Maidan police station in south Mumbai till November 23.

Last month, one of Angelina's bodyguards had assaulted a British photojournalist in Pune.

Meanwhile, unconfirmed reports said that Angelina, who was expected to leave for Pune on Saturday to complete her shooting there, has decided to leave India with Pitt and her children.

"We are not in a position to say if Angelina, Brad and the children are leaving for the US," said a spokesperson at the Taj Mahal Hotel in south Mumbai where the Hollywood couple have been staying, when asked about reports of the couple's departure.

In A Mighty Heart, Angelina plays the part of Mariane, wife of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl who was kidnapped and murdered in Pakistan in 2002 while investigating Islamic militants in the aftermath of the September 11, 2001 attacks in US.

Edited by Buffie - 17 years ago
insouciance thumbnail
Its now ridiculous 😆 ....WHy leave India if they have done nothing wrong,aaram se complete the shoot and then leave 😆 ...Cant they prove their innocence in the Mumbai court if they havent done anything wrong...Why leave the country without proving their innocence,thus leaving so much for speculation

I find this terrible confusing,Brad firstly apologizes,and then absolves the bodyguards 😕 Seems so contradictroy 😕
mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: Buffie

Its now ridiculous 😆 ....WHy leave India if they have done nothing wrong,aaram se complete the shoot and then leave 😆 ...Cant they prove their innocence in the Mumbai court if they havent done anything wrong...Why leave the country without proving their innocence,thus leaving so much for speculation

I find this terrible confusing,Brad firstly apologizes,and then absolves the bodyguards 😕 Seems so contradictroy 😕

Buffie dear, sure, flying back seems cowardly.  yet, just as Indian care a hoot about Brangelina, I an sure they on;t care much about Indian crowd allegations either. the word  "bloody" has immense usage in Brit enlish.  ofcourse that doesn;t justify anything.  i am not saying it is okay to call other countrymen bloody in their own country.
I still believe that brangelina have nothing to do with the alleged Abuse etc.  So what if a bunch of people call them racists ? their actions speak of who they are.  Instead of fighting for a lost cause (we are talking about a country of milions needing one little thing to get united against white people! while busy fighting among each other at all times ).  To me, this incident still seems rather fishy.  People go to any extent to stop filming of political films. 
I am surprised that the school offcials are RATHER silent, who allowed the filming w/o Police being INFORMED & INVOLVED.  These issues just will not arise in the USA.  Because they will safeguard them AT ALL LEVELS. 

Brangelina don;t want to waste their time over whether their Brit bodyguard is racist / not.  I sincerely doubt that they are racist themselves.  The person who wrote about "Adopting is not an action enough .. and all the mega philosophy that followed about being a real humanitarian should also question the authorities at school who endangered these children"  

mQT

Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
insouciance thumbnail
Agreed that they wouldnt want to embroiled in a controversy if indeed their words were misconstrued and a mountain was made out of a molehill,But cant they quietly shoot at some other school....They could have been non-chalent and let the law take its course,and if that mickey uncle(C'mon,that bodyguard is 50 year old uncleji) is proved innocent,then wouldnt it be a connotation of the restoration of Brangelina's lost pride and image...And if proven guilty,If only Angelina would Apologize,the same indian crowd would glorify her and adore her...An apology,that too coming from Angelina would turn the tables,and the crowd would be appeased and calmed..Besides,the respect for brangelina would increase manifold.....What is further infuriating is this dastardly act of flying back,thus showing zilch respect for the law of the country...CAnt they wait till this entire predicament is sorted out,and if Mickey uncle indeed is proved innocent ,then Brangelina can walk with their heads high,and if uncleji has behaved in an imbecilic manner,an apology should be rendered,and THAT in no way would make Angelina any less great or would denigrate her image....WHy are the escaping the entire scenario by returning back 😕 ...Yes,Brangelina might be terribly upset and disheartened and disgusted if mickey and the other 2 uncles were falsely implicated,but running back to the US and completely avoiding the situation is the escapist tendency!👎🏼....
mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: Buffie

Agreed that they wouldnt want to embroiled in a controversy if indeed their words were misconstrued and a mountain was made out of a molehill,But cant they quietly shoot at some other school....

sure, i agree. 
They could have been non-chalent and let the law take its course,and if that mickey uncle(C'mon,that bodyguard is 50 year old uncleji) is proved innocent,then wouldnt it be a connotation of the restoration of Brangelina's lost pride and image...

.. she really doesn't care about either.. that to an extent is a problem actually 😆 as apparent from her "tabloid" behaviour

And if proven guilty,If only Angelina would Apologize,the same indian crowd would glorify her and adore her...An apology,that too coming from Angelina would turn the tables,and the crowd would be appeased and calmed..Besides,the respect for brangelina would increase manifold.....What is further infuriating is this dastardly act of flying back,thus showing zilch respect for the law of the country...CAnt they wait till this entire predicament is sorted out,and if Mickey uncle indeed is proved innocent ,then Brangelina can walk with their heads high,and if uncleji has behaved in an imbecilic manner,an apology should be rendered,and THAT in no way would make Angelina any less great or would denigrate her image....WHy are the escaping the entire scenario by returning back 😕 ...Yes,Brangelina might be terribly upset and disheartened and disgusted if mickey and the other 2 uncles were falsely implicated,but running back to the US and completely avoiding the situation is the escapist tendency!👎🏼

i agree to an extent, but i guess she may see it as waste of time.  perhaps, it is not good for her "supposed" child in the making.. If the rumours about her pregnancy are true, she is making the right move..  Brad seemingly apologized for the "misunderstanding" and perhaps they thought it was good enough and hence time to move on....

Yes, I rspect your judgment of looking at it as "escapism".  I do see that too.
well, I really would love to see what actually happened.  Vacation hopefully isn;t makiing a gossip mongrel out of me 😳😆  I hope somebody throws it on youtube !!

QT didi
Aanandaa thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: .:Aphrodite:.

Its an article from India Glitz.. I wouldn't take that as a "credible source"... or any other Indian magazines/paper for that matter

"Taj Hotel sources " HAHAHAHAHAHAHA like what? their room attendant overhead them?

Brad and Angie aren't the type to leave the country if there's a controversy.. I'm sure if this is true then they're flying back for some personal or professional reasons.. Brad's movie Babel has just had a limited release it could be because of that.. or it could be any other reason

and that article is disgusting.. its trying to provoke the sensitive indian people even more... gosh why do they always make a huge deal out of small matters...we don't even know if the guards uttered racial slurs..even if they do its very low of the media and Indian public to try to savotage the movie and bash Brangelina..

Excuse me, what are you trying to say???That its low of the parents to complain against the bodyguards???Or is it us who are low, who are asking that the body quards should be taken into custody and asked for apology???Bradangelina came into picture only when they started to push this matter under the carpet...May be for you being called  a 'bloody Indian' is ok......But unfortunately not everybody is as compassionate..🤔

I feel Indian media handled this in a very dignified manner...Otherwise imagine the plight of any Indian actor who tries to mess up with them...

And you seem to be knowing more about the so called Bradangelina, that you were able to so confidently calim that they were not the escaping types...😕...That's good for you..But I know about our common people in India and they are not the ones who go to the extent of going to a police station and complaining about some Tom, Dick and Harry out of the blue..

India is a very friendly country and that's the whole reason we even allowed them in, and even allowed them to create a Karachi setting, while Pakistan outrightly rejected to give Visas to some of the crew...