ShraMan OS: Every Step of the Way

astonm thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Engager 2 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 7 years ago
This is based on the current track, with Nirmala and Ramnath's "reveal" and Shravan's reaction. I am getting really antsy waiting for the next few episodes, and this is something I want to happen...it won't but it'd be cool if it did. Do let me know what you guys think!

Every Step of the Way

I come to a standstill outside of his room, on any other occasion I would have walked right in, without a second thought. But today I wondered if I had the right to, so I knock on the door. Softly. He doesn't say anything, I know he is inside though, I had heard the sounds - things breaking, things hitting the floor and his painful scream. I push the door open slowly and step inside, it seems like a tornado had swept through the room and turned everything upside down. His carefully kept books are littered on the floor, his lamp lays broken in the middle of the room, the table in his seating area is flipped but that doesn't bother me as much as the man sitting on the floor amidst all of it, he is leaning against his bed, huddled into a ball, his knees against his chest and his arms wrapped around his knees. He looks so small all of a sudden, nothing like my towering best friend. His eyes are bloodshot, his hair a mess and his expression vacant. My heart clenches painfully in my chest at the sight.

I sigh and walk towards him before sliding down right next to him so the sides of our bodies are touching. He knows I am there, I can tell, his body moved ever so slightly when I sat but he didn't say a word. He doesn't ask me to leave either, I thought he would have, he doesn't yell or scream, he just sits there. I wish he said something but he doesn't.

"Shravan." I finally say turning myself so I am sitting cross-legged facing the side of his body.  He doesn't reply, but I didn't expect him to. I didn't really know what to do, at one point I thought I knew him inside out, but now it doesn't seem like that anymore. Sometimes I look at him and think that I know him better than anyone in the world, and other times it's almost as if he's a complete stranger.

I try so hard to read him, to figure out what's going on in that brain of his, I want to ease the pain in those soulful brown eyes but I don't know how to go about it. I want to know what keeps him up at night, what is he afraid of? What does he want in life? What does he need? How do I help? He won't even admit that he needs help, that he needs someone to help him ease the pain that burns inside him like an everlasting fire. I want to help, so badly, but I don't know how. What do I say? How do I get him to talk to me?

And the sad thing is that even though I feel like I don't know him anymore, I know that I am still the person that knows him best because he won't let anyone in. Even now, I see past that brave facade, I see past those witty remarks and that crooked smile, I see him. And what I see right now hurts me.

I see a man hardened by the adversities he's faced. I see a man that's so used to being alone and shut off that he doesn't know how to open up anymore. I see a man that who lost his mother and his best friend on the same day. I see a man that ran away from the problems in his life and let them sit in the back of his mind, they were always there because they were never dealt with.

I also see a boy that held onto every word his father said, a boy that didn't question anything. I see my best friend in there, the one that genuinely smiled and shared his feelings, the one that wasn't afraid to cry, and he's screaming at the top of his lungs right now asking for help. I can hear him, but the man he's become won't let me in.

I won't give up though. Not on him, never. I'll make him listen, I'll make him deal with those skeletons in his closet that he wants to forget about. I want to see nothing but happiness in those beautiful eyes of his, I want him to believe in love again, to believe in women again and to believe his parents again.

"Talk to me Shravan, say something." I beg him, it reminds me of that day again, the day he thought he had lost his father, but this is somehow worse. "Shravan, please, look at me." I say as I place both my hands on his face and force him to look at me, I feel a stab of pain when he looked back at me with those eyes, they were filled with tears, and betrayal. He tries to speak, but nothing leaves his mouth. So I do what feels right, I pull him into a hug, it's awkward with the way we're both sitting on the floor in front of his bed, but my arms go around his neck and I can feel him burying his face into the crook of my neck as his arms wrap around my waist, I can feel the tears streaming down his cheek as his body shakes.

I can feel the tears streaming down my own face as the events of the past week catch up to me. His anger when he saw his mother, his anger at me for bringing her, his refusal to talk to her. When he saw her with me he pulled me aside and asked me what I was trying to do, he refused to see reason, to talk to her even once so he could hear her side of the story. He refused to talk to me too, but I was adamant.

And then today happened, the four of us were in the same room - Shravan, his mom, his dad and I. Shravan snapped at his mother, and when he turned to his dad, he froze, because his dad was crying, not because of his wife but because of his own mistakes. And the truth came out, it wasn't her fault or his fault alone, it was both their faults - his dad had lied, he was insecure and drove his wife away and tried to do everything in his power to keep his son from her. Shravan was taken aback, of course he was, he had lived a lie for the past ten years, he believed that his mother left him willingly and never looked back. I think what bothered him the most about this situation was that his father had lied to him, his father was the one person in the world who he loved without reason, the only person that stayed by his side when his mother had left, when I had left him - who was he supposed to believe now?

A sob breaks out of his mouth and my heart feels heavy, his grip on me tightens and I can feel the tears soaking through the shoulder of my shirt. My hands rub soothing circles on his back, I don't know if it helps. I don't know what to say to make it better so I don't say anything. I don't know why but I feel like he hasn't cried like this ever, I can't even begin to comprehend what he's feeling at the moment. I don't know how long we sit there, crying, but the room becomes dark as the sun sets but we sit in the dark, without moving. After a while I feel him slump against me, like he has no energy left. I try to get him to loosen his hold on me, but he doesn't. My body hurts, but I can't make myself move from where I am.

A while later Pushkar walks in, his eyes are red too, I don't know if he knows the whole story but I know seeing his Bhai like this is killing him. With the help of Pushkar and Varun, I manage to navigate out of his strong hold, he has exhausted himself to sleep, his face is red and still wet with his tears.  We manage to get him onto his bed, and I turn to leave to find both Nirmala Aunty and Ramnath Uncle standing outside his door. I can tell that they've been crying, I don't know how long they've been there for, but they don't step into the room, like it's a line they can't cross, even though their eyes don't leave Shravan for a moment.

"Sumo." It's a mere whisper but with the silence in the room everyone picks it up. I turn around and I can see the discomfort on his face as he moves his arm around like he is searching for something even in his sleep. I can feel everyone's eyes on me as I move across his room and sit on the bed, his hand grabs mine and squeezes, it is almost painful.

A sigh leaves me as I look up at Pushkar. "Can someone call Nanu and tell him I am going to be here tonight, that Shravan is not well." It is more a statement than a question but he nods without question and turns to his Bade Papa who nods and walks away leaving Nirmala Aunty standing at the door. I can tell she feels out of place, she turns around and leaves with a sob, leaving Pushkar and I alone with a sleeping Shravan.

I look up at Pushkar and he's looking between Shravan and I with a peculiar look on his face. I arch my eyebrow at him in question and he shakes his head but I can tell he wants to say something but doesn't. "Can you get me a wet towel please?" I ask, I would have done it myself but Shravan is still tightly holding onto my hand. Pushkar nods and disappears into the bathroom.

I look back at Shravan, there is a grimace on his face and his eyebrows are furrowed, he is even restless in his slumber. My heart goes out to him, it is hard seeing him like this, just like it was hard seeing him like this when he thought his father had passed away. But unlike last time, things weren't going to magically fix themselves.

I run my hand through his hair, pushing it away from his face while trying to soothe him. I want him to sleep peacefully because things wouldn't be great when he woke up again. I don't know what to expect, he had just stormed out of the room when he learnt of the actual dynamic between his parents all those years ago, he didn't say anything to anyone yet.

Pushkar clears his throat causing me to look up at him, he is holding a wet towel in his hand. I smile at him and grab it before wiping Shravan's face of the sweat and tears.

"You know the last time something like this happened I was amazed at how you seemed to just know what he needed, how he seemed to calm down when he saw you by his side. But I didn't pay attention to the despair on your face, or your tears...but now that I look back it was almost as if you were hurting just as much as him. Much like now." Pushkar whispers, I look up at him to find that he's looking at his Bhai, I don't know where he is going with this. "You love him, don't you Sumo?" He asks finally looking up at me.

"He's my best friend." I say, because that's the only thing I am sure of at the moment.

"He said he wasn't anymore - from the minute you tried to speak for Badi Mami. But that didn't stop you from getting him to see the truth, even after he refused to talk to you and said that he didn't want to see you ever again. And you put that all aside, and that's a lot for you, to get him to see the light."

A pang went through my heart at the reminder. "You love him." He didn't ask this time, he said it. And I didn't know how to reply to that so I didn't say anything. "Are you going to tell him?"

"He doesn't believe in love. And now, after everything-"

"I think he loves you, always has." Pushkar replies and my heart jumps before I remember his words and actions. Moved on, he has moved on. He sits with my family and helps them choose a guy for me, he approves and disapproves them. He teases me about these random guys happily. But it's complicated, he says one thing, his actions another, so sometimes I think he loves me but other times I am sure he doesn't. And the way he's been the previous week leads me to believe that he doesn't.

"He doesn't." I say, and I can hear the tears in my own voice. I think Pushkar hears them too because he doesn't say anything. I know that Shravan would never admit it even if he did love me, he doesn't want to love a woman. And I don't think the recent events make his belief in love any stronger.

X-X-X-X-X

"Shravan." I say out loud, shaking him by the shoulder slightly. It's noon, he's been asleep for more than 12 hours, he needs to wake up and eat. "Shravan, wake up please." I run my hand through his hair this time and he moves. His eyes open slowly and narrow again at the amount of light in the room. He looks confused, almost dazed trying to figure out why I am on his bed waking him up. He slowly sits up and blinks a few times, I can tell the second when everything comes back to him because he tenses and his eyes meet mine. They are clouded with confusion and questions.

"Maa? Papa?" He asks, I don't miss that he calls Nirmala Aunty "maa" all of a sudden.

"Downstairs." I say, they were both sitting on opposite sides of the couch, staring at the wall when I had gone down to make something for lunch. The house was eerily silent, Chachi ji wasn't back yet and the others didn't know what to say or do. He nods and lets out a heavy sigh but doesn't say anything. "Go freshen up, and come eat." I say.

"I am not hungry."

"You haven't eaten since yesterday afternoon, I know you're frustrated and disappointed right now, there is no need to get sick too." I remind him and he sighs, I thought he would argue but he doesn't, he navigates himself out of the bed and into the bathroom. The room has been cleaned, but all his books rest on one of the couches with the book right at the top. Every time I see it, I wonder why he has kept it for so long but now is not the time to bring it up. I set up the tray on the table in front of the couch and lay down on the couch to wait as I hear the shower go on. I close my eyes for a minute and pull a throw over me, I'm utterly exhausted. I didn't get much sleep last night, obviously, he wouldn't let go of my hand.

Vandy Bhabhi was a sweetheart and leant me a pair of clothes for the day, she turned her whole closet upside down to find something I'd be comfortable in. And she made me coffee and forced me to eat, she didn't say much but I didn't miss how her eyes seemed to jump between Shravan and I either. I didn't miss how everyone looked at me like they were trying to figure something out. I guess I fell asleep with my thoughts because all of a sudden I awoke to whispers.

"She looks so tired." I heard Shravan whisper in his deep voice, he sounded better.

"She hasn't slept a wink since last night." Pushkar whispers back.

I should have opened my eyes right then to let them know that I was awake, but I didn't want to. I don't know if it was because I was tired or if I just wanted to listen to the two of them talk. Shravan sighs, and I wait for him to say something but he doesn't.

"Bhai, why are you looking at her like that?" Pushkar asks and I wonder what he's referring to.

"It's nothing."

"I don't stare at my friends like that." Pushkar says, his voice almost a murmur.

"I am surprised she's here, after all I said to her. I can't believe she spent all night here, by my side." He sounds almost shocked and for a minute I debate getting up just to glare at him for the ass he's been all week but at the same time, there is awe in his voice that seems misplaced...we promised each other we'd be friends forever, and this is what friends did. I wasn't going to make the same mistakes again - I wasn't going to leave him when he needed me most.

"That's Sumo for you, she always puts everyone else before herself. Her nanaji, her family and you." I want to roll my eyes because I know what Pushkar is trying to do and he needs to stop pressing this matter. I roll over a little before I let out a yawn and open my eyes and blink a few times before getting up so I am sitting on the sofa rather than laying on it. My eyes meet Shravan's first, he just freezes holding a spoonful of daal between the bowl and his mouth. I arch my eyebrow at him but he just shakes his head and gives me a small smile.

"Did you eat?" Shravan asks me and I shake my head yes but I can hear my stomach growling, he rolls his eyes and picks up the tray before moving right beside me on the bigger couch and setting the tray in front of us.

"I'll get something from downstairs." I say but he just gives me a pointed look and puts bowl of daal within both of our reach and passes me a chapati. I take it because a) I don't want to argue with him right then and b) I am kind of hungry. We eat in silence, I don't say anything because I don't know what to say and I am sure he feels the same way.

"You made this daal the other time too didn't you?" He finally asks, I look up at him to see him staring right back at me so I nod, there is no point in lying now. There is a look on his face like he's trying to figure something out. "That day at the house...you kicked me out because maa was there, wasn't she?" He asks and I sigh nodding. I can't figure out what he's thinking because he keeps looking at me, it's like his eyes are trying to look into my soul and I can't look away.

I hear Pushkar clear his throat behind me but Shravan doesn't look away, and I can't seem to either until Pushkar mumbles something that I can't make out. I look at Pushkar with a questioning look but he shakes his head and eats his daal, he is hiding a smile behind the bowl though so I glare at him.

"I am going to go home." I say realizing that everyone is probably worried, Nanu and Mama ji dropped by last night but I felt like I needed to go home and fix myself.

"No!" Shravan's response is almost immediate and it makes me look back at him in shock, he looks alarmed.

"I'll come back." I reassure him.

"I'll come with you." He says, his voice is firm, I know he's trying to avoid them.

"Shravan, you're going to have to face them soon. You three need to talk."

"Sumo, please, I can't right now." He whispers looking at me, his eyes are glistening again and I curse myself for being so weak because I nod at him.

"Please, just ignore me." Pushkar mumbles.

X-X-X-X-X

He walks into my room behind me and falls onto the bed making me roll my eyes. He acts like everything is okay all of a sudden but he refused to even look at his parents while we walked out of the house. It was actually really sad, they both got up off the couch that they were sitting on and looked at him hopefully but he just walked right past them as if they weren't there. I understood that he was hurt but he needed to deal with this sometime.

"Are you mad at me?" He asked as I scoured my closet for something to wear. I shut the door loudly and looked back at him, of course I was mad at him for being an ass to me, he told me that we weren't friends anymore and that he was sorry for thinking that I was any different from the women he hated. "Sumo..." He says, it almost sounds like a whine.

"What?" I snap back.

He gets off the bed and walks towards me before taking my hand and pulling me back towards the bed. He makes me sit on it and kneels in front of me, both of my hands are still between his as he looks up at me, a change from the usual. "I am sorry. For what I said, for what I did - for everything. I've been a total ass, I know it's hard for you to believe now...but I didn't mean it, really, you're the one person in my life that I can count on - the person I know will always be there for me. The one person I can trust with anything. And I am sorry that I made you feel like you weren't important to me because you are and you always will be. But - I was just so shocked to see her again, I didn't expect it...and then you were with her so I thought you sought her out in some ploy to fix me. But I know you didn't seek her out..."

"Why would it make a difference even if I did seek her out Shravan? I wanted to help you, because I knew that there was more to this than met the eye, but you didn't even listen to me. And the things you say...I know you've been hurt by women, I hurt you once, very badly-"

"Sumo, don't-"

"No, let me talk today. I did hurt you and I feel horrible for it, I couldn't stop thinking about you all those years you were gone, and I never really got to fully apologize for what I did, for how much I hurt you. I am sorry Shravan, for what I did because it doesn't matter that I was nave or stupid, or what my motives were, it was wrong and I shouldn't have done it. And I regret it so much. I am sorry. But how can you blame every single woman in the world for the mistakes your mother and I made? How can you-" I can hear myself crying now.

"I am sorry, I am so sorry. I was wrong, I- I just, it was easier to think that all women were like that than to think that my own mother left me willingly. And right now you don't know how stupid I feel for believing that, because all those beliefs were based on a lie, a huge lie. And I know it bothers you so much, and you're right it is very sexist and misogynist, but it was the easy thing to do even thought it was wrong." He says, and it sounds heartfelt, but I don't know if I can believe it until I see it but I let him continue. "Sumo - I- I don't know what I'd do if you weren't right here with me right now, thank you for sticking by my side even though I am a total asshole and I don't deserve it at all."

"I promised you didn't I, friends forever, even if you are a total asshole." I say and he smiles, slightly, knowing that I am coming around. "Just don't do that again, I am not some bitch that is trying to mess with you, I just want you to be happy Shravan."

"I know. I am sorry." He says wiping away the tears on my cheeks with a pout of his own. I kind of hated myself for being such a pushover when it came to him.

"You should talk to your parents." I say and he sighs getting off the floor in front of me and sitting beside me on my bed.

"I don't know what to say. Where do I start? My first instinct right now is to leave, to go back to London." He says and my breath hitches.

"Shravan, no. You need to deal with this, to get everything out or it's going to build up slowly until it all blows up in your face again. You are getting another chance to have your family back again, to have both your parents in your life-"

"I don't know if I want that Sumo, how am I supposed to look at my dad and not feel betrayed? And the things I said to my mother- I mean she did leave me...but then- it's just so complicated."

"He made mistakes Shravan, we all do. But he did it because he didn't want to lose you and your mom left because she thought it was best for you. They were both wrong in what they did, but they thought they were doing the best they could for you. Give them another chance, I am not saying that you need to go hug them right now and forgive them for everything but hear them out, try to understand them."

"I-I don't know."

"You can do it Shravan, you can do anything remember?"

"You'll be there, right?"

"Every step of the way." 

X-X-X-X

So once I start writing, my mind floods with ideas, so there is another OS that I posted right after this one, which you can find here --> Inevitable
Edited by astonm - 7 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

FangirlForever thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Me first Res

Anjalii *hugs*
This was awesome loved how you write their feelings ❀️

Also Pushkar "Please Just ignore me" πŸ˜†
Thanks for that apology from Sumo its long due now πŸ˜†

πŸ€—
Keep writing so that I can keep beating Sanni πŸ˜‰ Edited by FangirlForever - 7 years ago
Legilimens thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
 res res res πŸ˜†
Unres.
Thank you! For two things.
I wanted an apology from Suman for so longs, I am starting to feel it is overdue. 
And for showing that it was the fault of both the parties, the blame could not be placed onone's shoulder. After all, it takes two to clap.
I love the portrayal of Shravan's anguish, and how Sumo was there, every step of the way. 
I also liked that you did not feel the need to show a confession here, the underlying tone was understood and for the moment, friendship was enough.
Also, "Please, just ignore me." Pushkar mumbles. 🀣

Edited by -AvadaKedavra- - 7 years ago
Legilimens thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

dammit. -.- you were supposed to be reading chambersπŸ₯±
FangirlForever thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: -AvadaKedavra-

dammit. -.- you were supposed to be reading chambersπŸ₯±

🀣 
Don't question my stalking skills πŸ˜‰

πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›

mineforever thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
So beautifully penned down. 😊
I really wish that something like this would happen in the show..
I could feel each and every emotion of Shravan and the pain he went through..
Thanks for the PM 😊 Edited by mineforever - 7 years ago
sapphire3 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Beautifully written ...I can imagine everything playing right in front of me...I literally cried reading this os..words aren't sufficient to appreciate this master piece. I loved it. N wish something similar to this one happens in the show ...
Hats off πŸ‘
Nimik thumbnail
Simply mind blowing!
Can't even express my feeling in words!
Gurveen thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Every emotion was beautifully written
Shravan's pain with Suman by his side everything will be alright
Finally Shravan knows the truth
You are an amazing awesome brilliant writer
I just love reading your work
I think you should write a ff too
Keep writing more
And thank you for the pm
orion23 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Oh my word!!
Isn't this a masterpiece!πŸ‘
Anjali you are too goodπŸ€—
I just love your writing! And I sure as he'll hope this happens .. 
I like how you showed that both Ramnath and Nirmala wrong instead of one of them taking the blame.. makes it all the more enduring..

With Sumo, Shravan will be all right.. and I can't wait for the two of them to give in and wholeheartedly be there for each other every step of the way!

Thanks for the PM.. Can't wait to read your next!