Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 8 years ago
@jayashree hope you meant auspicious and not suspicious ðŸ˜†ðŸ˜†
@tuna and Shades of nature happy to know you liked it. One thing I know is that many youngsters will happily appreciate the customs if someone tells them the meaning and the need for it than do it in a fast forward mode. 
Edited by shruthiravi - 8 years ago
jayvenk thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
😆 shruthi corrected. 
avalonhigh1234 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Thanks for explaining the symbolism of mandap, Shruti.I knew the meaning of the the things that generally constitute the mandap like mango leaves ,jasmine, coconut  etc, but not about the mandap itself. Our traditions have a deeper significance and our interpretations have  not so far managed to get  to the whole of it. Every tradition constitutes of emotional as well as a logical aspect. Our trinity represent the 3 states of consciousness. The lotus stands for the opening of our inner consciousness to the sunrays of the paramatma. Even the vehicles of gods and goddesses have a great significance. There is so much to learn and understand...instead of doing that we have embroiled ourselves in the superficial coils of tradition like the varna{it was based on actions and not on birth},the numerous rules and regulations for women {which have been based on the most idiotic interpretations ...seems like that sometimes}.What we often ignore in our rigid convictions about traditions is that they have been subject to change in every yug except for the cornerstones and the basic tenets of our religion, that are perfect and complete in themselves. Hinduism  has always been designated as way of life and it is up to us{in our version of modernism} to separate the dross from the substance, isn't it?
Savita
aparnav thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Sruthi..oh..how I look forward for your posts..its very enlightening in many ways..i knew nothing of the significance of mandap..thankyou for the info.I love reading your posts as much as I look forward to a new episode..thanx for sharing your thoughts. I may not get time to reply to each post..but I make sure to read yours as wen I visit the forum.
Thanx again
shruthiravi thumbnail
@Savitha if we try we can take the substance from these stories and use it in our life. If we make an earnest attempt avenues will open.
Today I was reading an article in Indian Express on the need of knowing India in the History books of School Syllabus, and introducing Indian Literature in School books.
And I feel it is very much needed. My generation and all due to convent education is far away from our roots and the generation after that is in much worse condition. For me and all there were elder people at home to tell stories and in community temples those days Gita classes and all were regularly happening and it was very much knowledgeable people explaining Gita. But with Liberalization and all by mid nineties, early 2000 the life got changed so much that even simple things are not known to the current generation. And our knowledge is also incomplete to help them as we are also still searching.
avalonhigh1234 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I agree with you completely, Shruthi. If only we could extract the essence of our teachings {contained in the Upanishads to Ramayan and gita},What an enriching journey of life we would be leading.AS you said we had our elders who would teach us but in nuclear families of today that venue is closed. My children know more about different anime than Panchatantra or even our rich history. My daughter came home one day from school bursting with excitement...they were learning world religions and Hinduism was the topic for the day...she asked me about advaita system and told me quite proudly that she loved reading about it in such detail and that she could answer some basic questions that her teacher had asked her about our gods. I really felt  so happy on seeing her interest.😊
Savita

shruthiravi thumbnail
@Savitha what I like about SKR is that all my nieces and younger cousins watch it. It had made them do some search on Indian mythology. See the very fact that younger generation is interested to know the roots lies the success of SKR
fatssrilanka thumbnail
Shruti, thanks for the lovely post. As I said earlier I don't have much knowledge about Hindu Gods and so naturally I don't know the significance of the mandap pooja too. In mg culture we have nikaah ceremony. 
LakshMila thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
I love your posts to the core...true that every ritual and every tradition of ours carries some symbolism with them.Keep discussing these points,it really feels good!
What actually hurts me is that Indian Mythology is being misunderstood at times,the fact that hardly few people know about importance of these stories and the traditions which it carries out.The more older our religion gets,the more generations are getting really a far from it.I guess most of you here are south Indians,and I loved to know about your believes.However me being a northern one,I feel not many people here are interested in studying these things.I myself find very rare companies,to discuss on such topics.It hurts me when people, rather than first understanding the importance each ritual is associated with,be ready to stand against them.It really does.Forget about the wedding rituals,people now a days have a simple court marriage,because of the hectic schedules they have in their lives and i dont have a problem with it.But the concept that some have is that marriages are costly and tiring,and are mere wastage of money and time.Contradictory to the fact,that a complete marriage is meant for the well being of the new couple.
Schools today are mostly convent,and even if they are,they prefer to teach french and greek litetraturerather than preaching the glory of their own country.That makes a huge difference between other religions and ours.Youth,even if they are interested,arent motivated enough to pursue their interested studies.I agree not everyone is meant for this but people here have a belief that learning other literatures would be more benefitial for children's future.But shoulddnt people first know about their own society?
...My pure thoughts and not intended to hurt someone...
TOTAL-ROMANTIC thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
WOW yes even in our Udupi brahmins (GSB) we have bride doing Mantap pooja😳😳😳